Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
OK first up, if there's a better thread for questions re: child support and/or divorce, please let me know. This is a pretty easy question, I hope think.

Background: I have been divorced for several years. Both my ex and I are Oregon residents living here in Portland. She needs child support and because she's currently only working one day a week, the lil child support calculator form on the oregon.gov website estimates that I should be paying uhhh A Lot per month. The problem is that the calculator only factors in monthly income and not existing assets. She inherited millions from her folks when they passed away several years ago (shortly after I left) and has pissed virtually all of it in one fashion or another (some legit expenses, some entirely voluntary/idiotic). We basically split custody of our three kids 50/50, so this would be a lot simpler if she could hold up her end of her expenses.

The question: I found out today that she just sold her parents' vacation home for A Lot of money several months ago, but is still asking for A Lot in child support. Am I going to need to get a lawyer or get in front of a judge to dispute the calculator's results, or is there some other route? If you win $10M on a lottery ticket but are unemployed, are you still legally entitled to child support?

Bonus Round: Assuming I do need to take this to court, is there an avenue by which I can make the case that she had a couple mill that she misspent and I shouldn't have to pay the price now for her bad spending habits over the last five years, or am I SOL on that front?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Hire and ask a lawyer.

The intent behind child support laws is to support the kid though, not to be punitive. One parent being rich previously but not now (for whatever reason), doesn't really matter for the kid in the present.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Nice piece of fish's job and experience is basically the way zoning and development should work in the US, and the way it only does work in a handful of counties like Montgomery, MD. Developers often have far more leverage, resources, or knowledge of ways to abuse the legal system.

If you want some real dire poo poo, get into the intersection of real estate development, sales, and local government. It's not a coincidence that real estate people are often on your school board!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 3, 2020

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Lol Portland, Oregon is run by developers.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Just wait until you find out the ways courts contort themselves to say that, no, there really is a mens rea here, it’s just that it’s a different mens rea than you think.

For instance. Statutory rape still has a mens tea requirement, it’s just the defendant has to knowingly have sex. Not knowing certain other facts-the age of the victim-courts claim is different. Or criminal discharge of various goopy environmentally unfriendly stuff doesn’t necessarily require negligent or intentional discharge (ie that you knew of the possibility, or intended, that it would get discharged), but simply require knowing storage of the goop, and then later on it gets discharged.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
That sounds like 'Your Honor I was blackout drunk and had no understanding of what I was doing' is a legitimate defense for dumping toxic goo into the environment?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I mean, maybe? If you can convince a jury that you were blackout drunk from hearing about, acquiring, storing, and disposing of the goop, constantly, and then still drunk while it entirely leaked out and contaminated the environment. Good luck with that.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Discendo Vox posted:

Nice piece of fish's job and experience is basically the way zoning and development should work in the US, and the way it only does work in a handful of counties like Montgomery, MD. Developers often have far more leverage, resources, or knowledge of ways to abuse the legal system.

If you want some real dire poo poo, get into the intersection of real estate development, sales, and local government. It's not a coincidence that real estate people are often on your school board!

Just to be real clear, I just gave the simple dumbed down version but real life gets messy. Some municipalities are downright run by developers, and I've been called into the office of some mayor or other and asschewed like three times already with no signs of stopping. And the greedy tendrils make their way into zoning to gently caress up my life, because my work hinges on zoning and regulation. The amount of shady loving poo poo developers and politicians get down to is kinda gross.

That said we have a law on the books for this that really goes a long way towards limiting the damage.

Also it works the other way too, I also develop, buy and sell public land and I don't ever sell any to developers. That's a different guy. So I get tell them no every day of the week.

Since my last post about the topic was pretty simplified, I think it's fair to mention that there's no reason to think that the picture is all that rozy; developers are trying like crazy to circumvent long-standing and strict laws that restrict skyline usage, bunch of tree law, the building ban on shorelines, and the need for development deals at all. It's a jungle out there and I'm pretty sure their side is winning, which is exactly the problem with having that much money. Vote left, kids.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Outrail posted:

That sounds like 'Your Honor I was blackout drunk and had no understanding of what I was doing' is a legitimate defense for dumping toxic goo into the environment?

Oh you're here for developer chat too?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Foxfire_ posted:

Hire and ask a lawyer.

The intent behind child support laws is to support the kid though, not to be punitive. One parent being rich previously but not now (for whatever reason), doesn't really matter for the kid in the present.

You might want to make a case for increased custody, which would change the amount you would pay (if oregon is like NJ).

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Nice piece of fish posted:

Oh you're here for developer chat too?

Sure. We've got a guy in town who used 'permission to put in a culvert' as a green light to bulldoze a wetland and a bunch of endangered woodland (because he has plans to build on it). He deliberately had the dozer run over a beaver lodge in winter to try and get them to gently caress off which is kind of a dick move. It's a flood zone with a big 'do not ever allow development here because it'll wash away next time it floods' recommendation from the hydrologists. He's got a history of shady poo poo and building crappy houses and people are pissed about beavers, ducks, geese, otters and other wildlife losing their homes. First time the city had ever sued anyone in the ~200+ year history of the town. They put a hold on whatever he's doing there and it looks like he's going to have to pay to restore the area. Get rekt.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Outrail posted:

Sure. We've got a guy in town who used 'permission to put in a culvert' as a green light to bulldoze a wetland and a bunch of endangered woodland (because he has plans to build on it). He deliberately had the dozer run over a beaver lodge in winter to try and get them to gently caress off which is kind of a dick move. It's a flood zone with a big 'do not ever allow development here because it'll wash away next time it floods' recommendation from the hydrologists. He's got a history of shady poo poo and building crappy houses and people are pissed about beavers, ducks, geese, otters and other wildlife losing their homes. First time the city had ever sued anyone in the ~200+ year history of the town. They put a hold on whatever he's doing there and it looks like he's going to have to pay to restore the area. Get rekt.

Where's that straight to jail gif? Anyway, we have criminal statutes for poo poo like that - negligent or intentional - in addition to day fines and I would for sure pursue that, but I don't think I can imagine any of our developers be that loving dumb, even the really shady ones. We have some environmental laws that you super duper don't gently caress with.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

rivetz posted:

OK first up, if there's a better thread for questions re: child support and/or divorce, please let me know. This is a pretty easy question, I hope think.

Background: I have been divorced for several years. Both my ex and I are Oregon residents living here in Portland. She needs child support and because she's currently only working one day a week, the lil child support calculator form on the oregon.gov website estimates that I should be paying uhhh A Lot per month. The problem is that the calculator only factors in monthly income and not existing assets. She inherited millions from her folks when they passed away several years ago (shortly after I left) and has pissed virtually all of it in one fashion or another (some legit expenses, some entirely voluntary/idiotic). We basically split custody of our three kids 50/50, so this would be a lot simpler if she could hold up her end of her expenses.

The question: I found out today that she just sold her parents' vacation home for A Lot of money several months ago, but is still asking for A Lot in child support. Am I going to need to get a lawyer or get in front of a judge to dispute the calculator's results, or is there some other route? If you win $10M on a lottery ticket but are unemployed, are you still legally entitled to child support?

Bonus Round: Assuming I do need to take this to court, is there an avenue by which I can make the case that she had a couple mill that she misspent and I shouldn't have to pay the price now for her bad spending habits over the last five years, or am I SOL on that front?

This is one of those situations where lawyers are expensive, but not having a lawyer is far more expensive.

Lil Devil
Feb 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can I sue a woman who gave me an STD? If so, would I need to be able to prove that she knew that she had the STD when we had sex0r?

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Lil Devil posted:

Can I sue a woman who gave me an STD? If so, would I need to be able to prove that she knew that she had the STD when we had sex0r?

Not a lawyer, but: you would probably have to prove not only that she knew she had the STD at the time, but also that she did not warn you and that she made an effort to convince you that it would be fine not to use protection.

You would also need to have one of the nastier STDs. I think, while there have been successful suits, they've all been "guy with HIV or full blown AIDS has sex with girls, does not tell them about his status and deliberately has unprotected sex in order to spread his infection". So that's the level of life-wrecking you would need to prove, most likely.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Lil Devil posted:

How are you going to prove you got your STD from her?

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

rivetz posted:

Hire an attorney, that's legal advice territory.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Foxfire_ posted:

Hire and ask a lawyer.

Ask your lawyer if you can assign (impute) her potential earnings. She's working 1 day a week.. why? Does she have a degree? Can she make money but chooses not to? If your truly 50/50 custody should you be paying CS at all in your state?

My ex chooses not to work but is capable of a minimum wage job / working while kids are now at school. So she has an income she doesn't make assigned to child support calculation being lazy or deciding that a new child is a good idea isn't my problem so I don't have to pay more for those decisions. (In my case it practically means nothing but it still saves me a little).

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

rivetz posted:

Am I going to need to get a lawyer or get in front of a judge to dispute the calculator's results, or is there some other route?

The only time the answer to "Do I need a lawyer" is more urgent then "call one now and stop posting" is when its divorce/child support or you're being charged under the Espionage act.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I haven't been posting all that long in this thread but you might have already gathered: I really enjoy posts that elaborate on the deep deep pits of the law. You might even say I intentionally try to instigate them.

Old editions of 1L casebooks (property, torts, contracts, constitutional law, criminal law, civil procedure) are easily-obtained and inexpensive, because most courses will use the new editions. They will vary, but will be a great starting point, and most will seem lively to a technical writer.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

homullus posted:

Most will seem lively to a technical writer.

What is dead may never die.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dukeminier property is good

Warren ( yes that warren ) Bankruptcy is good

Chemerinsky conlaw is amazing.

If you want to really go nuts dig into property law. It’s wild

Torts and contract are boring and dumb. Torts got taken over by the Chicago school and ruined

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you want to be dazzled by an erudite soilless charlatan read Richard Posner. Like any of his decisions. You will be loved by old money

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Is it possible to 100% self-study and without ever going to law school, take and pass the bar?

e. nevermind that whole "can't get a job because you didn't get a degree" part. I just mean like, will the Gatekeepers who are In Charge be like "you didn't go to law school, so no you may not sit the bar exams, go away"

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

Is it possible to 100% self-study and without ever going to law school, take and pass the bar?

e. nevermind that whole "can't get a job because you didn't get a degree" part. I just mean like, will the Gatekeepers who are In Charge be like "you didn't go to law school, so no you may not sit the bar exams, go away"

Maybe in California. Or if you go back in time to 1780 and claim to have read law.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

You need a jd (from an accredited law school !!!) to take a bar in almost every state

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Self-study? No. There are a few states that permit you to do what’s called “law office study” where you’re theoretically apprenticed to a lawyer and study under them for a few years, then sit the bar.

(That said you could 100% self study and take and pass the bar without going near law school if someone would let you sit for the exam, which they will not.)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Some bars are hardy than others

You could not pass Delaware on your own

Theoretically maybe

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

euphronius posted:

Some bars are hardy than others

You could not pass Delaware on your own

Theoretically maybe

what is the easiest, lowest bar of them all

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kalman posted:

(That said you could 100% self study and take and pass the bar without going near law school if someone would let you sit for the exam, which they will not.)

So, the american government says you have to be a lawyer to do the law stuff, and then to be a lawyer you have to go to an accredited school, so our government guarantees profit for law schools, have I got that right?

Hmm.

I guess it's no different from doctorin'. Another american institution where there's definitely nothing wrong with how its educational system is constructed.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The federal gov is not involved

They are all state run. It’s an older idea that professions should be regulated by the state. Which I agree with.

By the way there are only like 4 or 5 professions. Doctor, clergy, lawyer. Accountants. Officers in the military. Maybe engineer and nurse. That’s it

Business people are NOT professionals. They are businesspeople . Shopkeepers

No standards. No ethics. The worst of humanity.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

If I needed someone to look out for me in law matters, there's no way I'm picking some guy who read some books over someone who went to school and was theoretically screened for behavior/ethics problems

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

euphronius posted:

The federal gov is not involved

They are all state run. It’s an older idea that professions should be regulated by the state. Which I agree with.

By the way there are only like 4 or 5 professions. Doctor, clergy, lawyer. Accountants. Officers in the military. Maybe engineer and nurse. That’s it

Business people are NOT professionals. They are businesspeople . Shopkeepers

No standards. No ethics. The worst of humanity.

The oldest profession is conspicuously absent from your list. :colbert:

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

BonerGhost posted:

If I needed someone to look out for me in law matters, there's no way I'm picking some guy who read some books over someone who went to school and was theoretically screened for behavior/ethics problems

going to school might not screen them for those problems in the way that you want

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

owlhawk911 posted:

going to school might not screen them for those problems in the way that you want

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm really curious about Richard Liebowitz. The dude seems obviously incompetent and constantly acting in bad faith, but is allowed to take up enormous amounts of court time. It sounds like he's going to probably get a pretty mighty backhand here from the courts, but is this behavior just that uncommon that it seems to take years of obviously bad behavior before real consequences start to happen?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
VA still lets people without a jd "read for" the bar. They pass waaay lower than jd holders, and VA isn't NY or CA but it's still a "harder" bar. Easiest states will be like Mississippi or the Dakotas or somewhere begging for someone, anyone to come practice just to meet people's basic legal needs.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BonerGhost posted:

as someone who went to not one but two different accredited colleges (not law school just regular school), lol

e.
out of the 535 members who make up Congress, 40% had attended law school. For senators, nearly 54% have obtained a law degree. The House contains 37% law degree holders.

So uh, congress, famously behavior/ethics problem-free

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

BonerGhost posted:

If I needed someone to look out for me in law matters, I'm taking the Frank Abagnale guy who can not only give themselves the self discipline to pass all on their own, but can dress up as a judge and rule in my favor before hightailing it away from the FBI agents who are somehow only moments behind.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

therobit posted:

The oldest profession is conspicuously absent from your list. :colbert:

No need to say "lawyers" twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Nonexistence posted:

VA still lets people without a jd "read for" the bar. They pass waaay lower than jd holders, and VA isn't NY or CA but it's still a "harder" bar. Easiest states will be like Mississippi or the Dakotas or somewhere begging for someone, anyone to come practice just to meet people's basic legal needs.

Even in VA, they still have to effectively apprentice under an existing lawyer. (And as an extra “gently caress you”, in VA you have to be in the law office effectively full time studying, but cannot be employed by or compensated by the attorney who’s supervising you. Good luck finding an attorney who’ll give up a significant number of billable to some random gently caress.)

E: easiest “no law school” bar is probably Vermont.

The “self study” part is still probably 99% of it in reality for the dozen or two people who still do this route, but you can’t sit in your shack in the middle of nowhere, read some books, and show up for a bar - some lawyer, somewhere, must be involved in your education.