Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

blarzgh posted:

Its a catch 22. If there is a problem with his title right now, he's hosed, and they won't issue the policy. If there's nothing wrong with his title, there's no reason for him to pay for the policy that they'd be happy to issue. I assume you can walk into any Title Company and ask for a title insurance policy on your house. They'll take your money, I'm sure. But if there is a defect in your title, they won't cover you anyways.

Okay that makes sense and is basically what I was thinking. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

blarzgh posted:

[sidebar: its odd, because this is usually a condition of sale - I've never heard of an escrow agency that would sign off on the funds without a good title policy; its generally a condition to closing.]

This along with "who the gently caress would underwrite that mortgage" if everything isn't in order (at least these days I hope).

But maybe OP paid cash.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

blarzgh posted:

Its a catch 22. If there is a problem with his title right now, he's hosed, and they won't issue the policy. If there's nothing wrong with his title, there's no reason for him to pay for the policy that they'd be happy to issue.

But in the hypothetical situation where a lawyer was supposed to get insurance to protect his client and didn't, wouldn't it be up to the lawyer to make the client whole? Do lawyers generally carry errors & omissions coverage?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

fordan posted:

Do lawyers generally carry errors & omissions coverage?

Lawyers generally call it malpractice insurance, and in some states you have to disclose the absence to a client. It's generally carried; the largest US firms go through ALAS - http://www.alas.com/public/about.aspx

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I guess the follow up question is what even is the value of title insurance? It sounds like defects in title are either discovered before a policy is issued and must be fixed before closing, or discovered after closing in which case they are probably an exception to the title insurance policy.

It seems like the value is actually in the title opinion, which looks more like a pre-requisite to a mortgage than to a traditional insurance policy.

What circumstances would actually lead to collecting on a title insurance claim?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

fordan posted:

But in the hypothetical situation where a lawyer was supposed to get insurance to protect his client and didn't, wouldn't it be up to the lawyer to make the client whole? Do lawyers generally carry errors & omissions coverage?

Man, I don't even know. I don't understand the lawyer's role in this guy's real estate transaction. In my state, lawyers can act as real estate agents and take a commission, but the practice is almost non-existent. Outside of that situation, I'm not sure why the lawyer would be doing that for them. Thats generally the responsibility of the title company to secure the policy, and the escrow agent to withold the transaction until the policy is secured. The attorney for the title company is generally the guy who writes the title opinion - thats it. They usually have no other involvement. Plus, to ping their malpractice coverage, they'd have to show a duty on behalf of the lawyer that was owed to Mr. Buyer, and thats not likely if he was just the underwriter.

Of course, the title company will have plenty of insurance to go around, if they're the ones who hosed up.

This dude's situation is weird as gently caress.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Kazak_Hstan posted:

What circumstances would actually lead to collecting on a title insurance claim?

Bob sells Blackacre Manor to Bill for $100,000.00. Sagoon Title Co. guarantees title and issues the title policy. <5 years later, Bob's nephew shows up with a prior-recorded deed he got from Bob for Blackacre that Sagoon Title missed in its opinion; Bob's nephew sues to get Blackacre.

2 things happen. The title co. would first have a "duty to defend", just like when your car insurance has to give you counsel. Sagoon has to get Bill an attorney and pay for his defense.

Second, the title co. has to pay out any losses Bill suffers because of the missed deed. If Bill loses the house, title co. pays $100,000.00 to Bill.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
$100,000, out present value?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

$100,000, out present value?

Probably depends on the state jurisprudence when injury accrues as a matter of law.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Most (all?) policies come with a policy limit, and I think as a practical matter they would just pay out the policy limit and be done with it.

It being a contractual relationship between you and the insurance, I think you'd hit your four corners at the policy limit, anyway.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

the milk machine posted:

keep going, i'm writing this down

Make sure not to use the same bank twice!

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

blarzgh posted:

Man, I don't even know. I don't understand the lawyer's role in this guy's real estate transaction. In my state, lawyers can act as real estate agents and take a commission, but the practice is almost non-existent. Outside of that situation, I'm not sure why the lawyer would be doing that for them. Thats generally the responsibility of the title company to secure the policy, and the escrow agent to withold the transaction until the policy is secured. The attorney for the title company is generally the guy who writes the title opinion - thats it. They usually have no other involvement. Plus, to ping their malpractice coverage, they'd have to show a duty on behalf of the lawyer that was owed to Mr. Buyer, and thats not likely if he was just the underwriter.

Of course, the title company will have plenty of insurance to go around, if they're the ones who hosed up.

This dude's situation is weird as gently caress.

NJ is a weird state. In North Jersey, real estate agents do their own closings. In South Jersey (like around Camden) they're done at the bank, as is the practice in Philadelphia. In Central Jersey (where I am), sometimes you do them at the lawyer's office. Also, in NJ you can just have your real estate lawyer handle all aspects of a transaction (working with a real estate agent, I think). House closings and the like are sort of bread-and-butter, flat-fee work for lawyers around here. Seemingly every law firm does some real estate work, even (perhaps especially) the solo practitioners.

It's been a while since that course when I was in school to be a paralegal, but that's what I remember. In this case, it sounds like the lawyer hosed up hugely and should probably have his malpractice insurance dinged.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Uk/Scotland car question.

My Partner was flashed running a red light in her brothers car, which she did not have insurance to drive. She offered to pay the fine if he takes the points. Which he has refused, which he is entitled to do as driving is a big part of his job.

My partner thinks she'll lose her license. Her brother thinks the fine and points will be transferred to her if he tells them it was her. I don't have a clue about road law because I don't drive but googling it hasn't really helped.

For back story, her brother and his partner were at ours and we decided to order a Chinese. His car was parked behind hers in the drive and for quickness she took his to go and collect the food. This was agreed btw, she didn't just steal his car.

gently caress knows why she ran the light, she is an amber gambler at the best of times though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

reformed bad troll posted:

Uk/Scotland car question.

My Partner was flashed running a red light in her brothers car, which she did not have insurance to drive. She offered to pay the fine if he takes the points. Which he has refused, which he is entitled to do as driving is a big part of his job.

My partner thinks she'll lose her license. Her brother thinks the fine and points will be transferred to her if he tells them it was her. I don't have a clue about road law because I don't drive but googling it hasn't really helped.

For back story, her brother and his partner were at ours and we decided to order a Chinese. His car was parked behind hers in the drive and for quickness she took his to go and collect the food. This was agreed btw, she didn't just steal his car.

gently caress knows why she ran the light, she is an amber gambler at the best of times though.

Your partner will get the points and the fine. Her brother needs to disclose to the insurance company that he let someone use the car uninsured and this happened.

Your partner also has an incoming 'driving without insurance' charge

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 26, 2015

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alchenar posted:

Your partner also has an incoming 'driving without insurance' charge

This is not true in most US jurisdictions. The car was insured, the driver does not need to be. Is it different in the UK?

Here's a standard breakdown: https://www.esurance.com/info/car/myth-car-insurance-follows-the-driver

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Texas question: I've seen signs on the highway that say "never leave a child alone in car. If child alone in car call police."

If I see that (a child alone in the car) and call the police, am I a agent of the state for fourth amendment purposes?

Also can I leave my baby alone in the car to run in for a pack of smokes?

Hot Dog Day #91 fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 26, 2015

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

baquerd posted:

This is not true in most US jurisdictions. The car was insured, the driver does not need to be. Is it different in the UK?

Here's a standard breakdown: https://www.esurance.com/info/car/myth-car-insurance-follows-the-driver

Uk has stupid insurance where the insurance is tied to the driver.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

baquerd posted:

Different in the UK. Virtually all policies these days require you to declare other drivers in advance.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Alchenar posted:

Different in the UK. Virtually all policies these days require you to declare other drivers in advance.

This is an extremely asinine policy. If my buddy gets drunk at the bar, and I drive him home in his car, his car has no insurance. It is just the dumbest thing.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Texas question: I've seen signs on the highway that say "never leave a child alone in car. If child alone in car call police."

If I see that (a child alone in the car) and call the police, am I a agent of the state for fourth amendment purposes?

Look at this guy who thinks the 4th applies to cars. Plain view and public safety exceptions would apply, and the invitation to agency probably has to be personally and specifically invited.

You can leave your baby anywhere you want, but you could end up with child neglect to murder charges, depending on the brand of smokes.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

nm posted:

This is an extremely asinine policy. If my buddy gets drunk at the bar, and I drive him home in his car, his car has no insurance. It is just the dumbest thing.

Thank god for pubs within walking distance and a well developed public transport system.

It's fine and it's sensible - the risk is attached to the quality of the driver not the quality of the car, it makes perfect sense that insurance companies want to tailor their policies that way.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

nm posted:

I would question why you are going to a bar with a buddy and being the only one not drinking. That's the dumbest thing.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

reformed bad troll posted:

I would question why you are going to a bar with a buddy and being the only one not drinking. That's the dumbest thing.

Yeah everyone knows if you go to a bar you should get poo poo faced wasted or else there's no reason to be there

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I keep a tarp in the car that I can put over babies while I go in the store so no one will see the babies and steal them.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
That's about the only advantage of using the trunk; you don't need a tarp. But the bed of a pickup is the superior choice. You can "put the kids to bed" and it's easy to hose out; those are some dirty mess making little beasties.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
My golf clubs are in the trunk, the babies don't fit.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

blarzgh posted:

Be more forceful.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
And get poop and stuff on my sticks? No thank you!

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

blarzgh posted:

It is a BMW joke.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Alchenar posted:

Thank god for pubs within walking distance and a well developed public transport system.

It's fine and it's sensible - the risk is attached to the quality of the driver not the quality of the car, it makes perfect sense that insurance companies want to tailor their policies that way.

Yes, London has a fine public transit system. The rest, less so.

In the US occasional drivers are covered, but not regular drivers (outside of persons in the same household who are factored in unless excluded) are not, so there is little additional risk.

patentmagus
May 19, 2013

blarzgh posted:

Try putting them under the clubs.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

nm posted:

Yes, London has a fine public transit system. The rest, less so.

In the US occasional drivers are covered, but not regular drivers (outside of persons in the same household who are factored in unless excluded) are not, so there is little additional risk.

There is another factor here to consider, which is that in the UK it can be quite common for a policy to also include 3rd party cover for any vehicle you drive. I've hedged my bets slightly because I've not tried to look for stats, but so far as it goes for me, I can't recall ever having a policy that didn't also include 'any vehicle' 3rd party cover.

Edit: 3rd party being the mininum legal requirement. For my owned vehicle of course, in addition to 3rd party cover, I've fire, theft, accidental damage, etc., under the aegis of a 'fully comprehensive' policy.

magimix fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jul 28, 2015

WS6 97
Jul 10, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Will/ Estate question. My Grandmother passed away and left me as 1/8 heir along with 7 other relatives.

Part of her will states "If I own real estate with an address of 999 Whatever st, Nameless town, Pennsylvania at the time of my death, I wish and direct, if practicable, and if so desired by WS6 97, that he receive this parcel as satisfaction, in whole or in part, as the case may be, of his portion of my estate as set forth above. This shall not be construed to increase or decrease his share of this estate as already set forth above."

Can someone explain this to me? It doesn't give a price for the property or ask for an appraisal. How is the price/value determined?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Grand ma wants you to have that property listed. Did she still own it?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can call the estates lawyer and ask.

The executor and the estates lawyer will do most if not all of the heavy lifting .

Epic Doctor Fetus
Jul 23, 2003

Dumb hypothetical: What are the potential consequences for a juror falling asleep? I'm sure this varies greatly county to county (and judge to judge). I work night shifts and stay nocturnal even on my days off, so when I was sitting in the jury selection room earlier today, I was chugging 5 hour energy drinks to stay awake and still felt like I was on the verge of nodding off a few times. I imagine if you're actually selected as a juror and fall asleep, this could result in a mistrial and would be a pretty big deal, but what if you just nodded off during the selection process? There was a story in the local paper recently where a juror who (knowingly) caused a mistrial had to pay the court costs and serve a jail sentence, and I had that thought running through my head every time I nodded.

Follow up question: In your professional opinion, is it better to a.) risk falling asleep, b.) sneak amphetamines into the court, or c.) just not show up and claim your summons must have gotten lost in the mail when the bench warrant is flagged next time I'm pulled over for speeding?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

Dumb hypothetical: What are the potential consequences for a juror falling asleep? I'm sure this varies greatly county to county (and judge to judge). I work night shifts and stay nocturnal even on my days off, so when I was sitting in the jury selection room earlier today, I was chugging 5 hour energy drinks to stay awake and still felt like I was on the verge of nodding off a few times. I imagine if you're actually selected as a juror and fall asleep, this could result in a mistrial and would be a pretty big deal, but what if you just nodded off during the selection process? There was a story in the local paper recently where a juror who (knowingly) caused a mistrial had to pay the court costs and serve a jail sentence, and I had that thought running through my head every time I nodded.

Follow up question: In your professional opinion, is it better to a.) risk falling asleep, b.) sneak amphetamines into the court, or c.) just not show up and claim your summons must have gotten lost in the mail when the bench warrant is flagged next time I'm pulled over for speeding?

Show up to jury duty. Alert the court to the fact you are a shift worker and have concerns about your ability to stay awake/focus during your normal sleeping hours. You will probably be dismissed for cause.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Epic Doctor Fetus posted:

In your professional opinion, is it better to sneak amphetamines into the court?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Just tell them you're holding amphetamines. You'll get dismissed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
It's probably ok to bring amphetamines into court as long as you offer some to the research clerks.