Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

therobit posted:

Which states are shithole states where that matters?

Any state that consistently votes Republican, basically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Florida's stand your ground law specifically does not apply when the person that got shot was in a place they have a legal right to be.

So I can't shoot my landlord no more than he can shoot me under that law.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

fknlo posted:

The other guys insurance didn't pay for the rework. My insurance withheld payment from the original shop in the amount of the rework. The car was less than a month old when the accident happened, on top of being a lease that the company wouldn't have taken back in the condition it was in. It was going to get redone. It wasn't some nitpicky poo poo on my end either. My insurance company sent 4 adjusters that all agreed the vehicle needed significant work.

I never actually expected that the other company would cover my second rental. I was hoping my insurance would withhold additional payment from the shop in the amount of the rental, but that didn't happen. I basically just posted here to see if it was even worth my time or possible to recover at least some of what I'm out of pocket, but that doesn't seem to be the case, so whatever.

IIRC I remember the pictures from that crash that you posted in the ski/snowboard thread and I'm legitimately surprised the whole thing wasn't written off.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If you can't shoot the mailman or meter reader, what's the point of even having castle doctrine?

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Florida's stand your ground law specifically does not apply when the person that got shot was in a place they have a legal right to be.

In Texas it’s just a picture of Yosemite Sam

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nice touch.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

HookShot posted:

IIRC I remember the pictures from that crash that you posted in the ski/snowboard thread and I'm legitimately surprised the whole thing wasn't written off.

It probably should have been, but the initial estimates were only $7k and then upgraded to $11k on a month old car with a sticker of $27k.

The tow truck driver semi-jokingly offered to drop it off the flatbed to finish it off for me and I should have had him do it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Mr. Nice! posted:

What I'm hearing is if I'm a landlord and a tenant at sufferance or late on rent, I can perform a "tampa eviction notice" (break in and kill them in their sleep, along with their family and pets).

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

fknlo posted:

It probably should have been, but the initial estimates were only $7k and then upgraded to $11k on a month old car with a sticker of $27k.

The tow truck driver semi-jokingly offered to drop it off the flatbed to finish it off for me and I should have had him do it.

With that info I would be less worried about getting the cost of a rental car from them and more worried about how big of a diminished value settlement I was going to get, but that's just me.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Unload My Head posted:

With that info I would be less worried about getting the cost of a rental car from them and more worried about how big of a diminished value settlement I was going to get, but that's just me.

It's a lease, so it's VW's problem. I'd planned on buying it out but the accident obviously changed that.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Okay, so I'm a dingus and neglected to pay my water bill. I have the money, it just got buried under papers and I forgot it. When the utility guy showed up to turn it off I remembered and payed up online, but the official stance is even though I payed before he even left they won't turn it back on until tomorrow.

I'm not going to just turn it back on myself because it's only slightly inconvenient, but it made me wonder. Since I'm payed up and the county just won't turn it back on for a business day, how badly would I be breaking the law if I just did?

I read FL statute 812.14, and all I could find that I understand to directly deal with my question is:

(f) Cause a utility, without its consent, to supply any service or electricity, gas, or water to any person, firm, or corporation or any lamp, burner, orifice, faucet, or other outlet without reporting the service for payment

Also, holy poo poo I haven't seen so many fire ants in years, guess they love my meter.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
i can't believe I have to say this but please don't touch the fire ant covered public utility infrastructure that you definitely do not own

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I haven't, it was half buried and full of dirt, so when the guy pulled it open they were swarming everywhere. Also, that's what I'm curious about. How bad is it if someone just decides to take it into their own hands?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

i can't believe I have to say this but please don't touch the fire ant covered public utility infrastructure that you definitely do not own

Touch it.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
They lock it when they turn it off, dude. Otherwise why would anyone pay?

I am surprised that they don't have someone out to turn it back on. Where I'm at that would be like a 2-hour turnaround, max. Red state though, what are you gonna do?

You could cut the lock off with an angle grinder, but now you're committing multiple crimes.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

sleepy.eyes posted:

Okay, so I'm a dingus and neglected to pay my water bill. I have the money, it just got buried under papers and I forgot it. When the utility guy showed up to turn it off I remembered and payed up online, but the official stance is even though I payed before he even left they won't turn it back on until tomorrow.

I'm not going to just turn it back on myself because it's only slightly inconvenient, but it made me wonder. Since I'm payed up and the county just won't turn it back on for a business day, how badly would I be breaking the law if I just did?

I read FL statute 812.14, and all I could find that I understand to directly deal with my question is:

(f) Cause a utility, without its consent, to supply any service or electricity, gas, or water to any person, firm, or corporation or any lamp, burner, orifice, faucet, or other outlet without reporting the service for payment

Also, holy poo poo I haven't seen so many fire ants in years, guess they love my meter.

This exact thing happened to me and I complained and they gave me a bonus credit. To turn it off they turned a valve in the water meter box. They had a special lock to prevent turning it back on yourself.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

BrundleDog WOULD say that, wouldn't he.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Unload My Head posted:

They lock it when they turn it off, dude. Otherwise why would anyone pay?

I am surprised that they don't have someone out to turn it back on. Where I'm at that would be like a 2-hour turnaround, max. Red state though, what are you gonna do?

You could cut the lock off with an angle grinder, but now you're committing multiple crimes.

The guy that's going around doing disconnects has a long list of disconnects to take care of that day. These are due to non-payment, people moving, businesses closing, construction, emergencies, etc. That same person isn't necessarily the guy that turns the utilities back on. That other person also has a long list of places to go to today to turn poo poo back on.

In Tallahassee, for example, when you're over a month late they include a disconnect notice with your bill. This notice has the date that the guy is coming to shut off your poo poo. They call two days before to let you know. If you do not have it paid before he shuts it off, it's off until the order comes down (maybe to a different person, maybe to the same, it all depends on the workload) to turn it back on. So if your power/water goes off at 10am, it might not be until 4pm same day that it comes back on even if you paid at 10:01am.

As far as turning water/gas/electric back on after a utility has shut them off goes, if you're still delinquent they will disconnect again and charge you additional fees for breaking whatever locks/seals they put on the meters. In some cases, repeat offenders will have meters straight up removed from property until payment is rendered in full. If you're paid up and break the seal/lock to turn it back on yourself, you're going to be open to fines from the utility and possible criminal action for damaging utility property.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The guy that's going around doing disconnects has a long list of disconnects to take care of that day. These are due to non-payment, people moving, businesses closing, construction, emergencies, etc. That same person isn't necessarily the guy that turns the utilities back on. That other person also has a long list of places to go to today to turn poo poo back on.

In Tallahassee, for example, when you're over a month late they include a disconnect notice with your bill. This notice has the date that the guy is coming to shut off your poo poo. They call two days before to let you know. If you do not have it paid before he shuts it off, it's off until the order comes down (maybe to a different person, maybe to the same, it all depends on the workload) to turn it back on. So if your power/water goes off at 10am, it might not be until 4pm same day that it comes back on even if you paid at 10:01am.

As far as turning water/gas/electric back on after a utility has shut them off goes, if you're still delinquent they will disconnect again and charge you additional fees for breaking whatever locks/seals they put on the meters. In some cases, repeat offenders will have meters straight up removed from property until payment is rendered in full. If you're paid up and break the seal/lock to turn it back on yourself, you're going to be open to fines from the utility and possible criminal action for damaging utility property.

Thanks, that was what I was wondering about. Also, drat, getting the meter removed altogether. Guess they don't really have any other simple options though.

There was so much dirt and sand I didn't even see a lock, just saw he had a bigass wrench and this thing that looked like a tire iron.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

sleepy.eyes posted:

Thanks, that was what I was wondering about. Also, drat, getting the meter removed altogether. Guess they don't really have any other simple options though.

There was so much dirt and sand I didn't even see a lock, just saw he had a bigass wrench and this thing that looked like a tire iron.

There's likely not an actual lock, but rather a seal on the box that has a number stamped on it. Breaking that seal opens you up to liability.

The bigass wrench is for the on-off valve and the tire iron was probably a cheater bar or something since those valves rarely get used.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

The tire iron is to fend off angry home owners.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Mr. Nice! posted:

There's likely not an actual lock, but rather a seal on the box that has a number stamped on it. Breaking that seal opens you up to liability.

The bigass wrench is for the on-off valve and the tire iron was probably a cheater bar or something since those valves rarely get used.

In my case it was an actual lock and the tire iron was an over sized sprinkler key so homeboy didnt have to touch all of those ants.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013

CarForumPoster posted:

In my case it was an actual lock and the tire iron was an over sized sprinkler key so homeboy didnt have to touch all of those ants.

Yeah, one end of the "tire iron" hooks the box open, the other end spins the valve. I keep one of those in the truck at all times. There is a loop on the valve that they drop a padlock through once they turn it. Usually a marked lock of some kind, or with some seal on it as well.

At least that's how they do it here. Mr. Nice is much closer to you, so he would know how it is done down there.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You’re probably right i was just speculating in general. They’re not in the same city as me so they will probably have the a similar setup to how you describe.

Water/electric/gas in my city is actually all ran by the city and they have same day service here.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m looking for EU advice.

Long story short:

I produced some video for work where I am featured in it. These videos were produced as a requirement of a funding agreement between my employer and the funding organization, that employees hired for this project will produce videos to be uploaded to YouTube.

I never liked this requirement, specifically the part about uploading them to YouTube and being made public. I’ve expressed my concerns to the people in charge but basically they refuse to acknowledge that my concerns matter.

Do I have any legal basis of recourse for preventing these videos from being uploaded to YouTube?

My first thought was to just let them upload the videos but then immediately file a DMCA Takedown notice claiming copyright infringement, but I don’t think I hold copyright for these videos since I produced them as a work assignment.

Can I make a claim on the basis of not wanting my image to be used for this purpose? The videos feature and focus on me for what it’s worth, but I am not a famous person so it’s not really damaging my “brand” or anything.

Is there some kind of restrictive license I can claim to disallow uploading to YouTube?

Can I simply not consent?

vvv For what it’s worth, the videos were recorded on my personal iPhone on my personal weekend time and edited on my personal computer at my apartment using software for which I personally purchased the licenses for with my own money, which was not reimbursed. Also I haven’t “given” them anything. I’ve filmed the videos as they asked and cut them into the lengths they asked for. Now they are asking for the videos and permission to upload, and I am having second thoughts on what is literally a 2 line bullet point item in a 180 page document that I didn’t sign. My contract is with my employer, not the outside funding group.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 23, 2018

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

What? You had an agreement where you had to make videos and give the videos and related rights to someone else. You did. Now they have the videos and want to use them. You’re mad because? “I didn’t like the contract but I agreed to it anyways” isn’t normally a valid legal theory.

Disclaimer, I don’t know anything about the EU so maybe it has weird laws.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

Long story short:

I produced some video for work where I am featured in it. These videos were produced as a requirement of a funding agreement between my employer and the funding organization, that employees hired for this project will produce videos to be uploaded to YouTube.

I never liked this requirement, specifically the part about uploading them to YouTube and being made public. I’ve expressed my concerns to the people in charge but basically they refuse to acknowledge that my concerns matter.

Do I have any legal basis of recourse for preventing these videos from being uploaded to YouTube?

My first thought was to just let them upload the videos but then immediately file a DMCA Takedown notice claiming copyright infringement, but I don’t think I hold copyright for these videos since I produced them as a work assignment.

Can I make a claim on the basis of not wanting my image to be used for this purpose? The videos feature and focus on me for what it’s worth, but I am not a famous person so it’s not really damaging my “brand” or anything.

Is there some kind of restrictive license I can claim to disallow uploading to YouTube?

vvv For what it’s worth, the videos were recorded on my personal iPhone on my personal weekend time and edited on my personal computer at my apartment using software for which I personally purchased the licenses for with my own money, which was not reimbursed. Also I haven’t “given” them anything. I’ve filmed the videos as they asked and cut them into the lengths they asked for. Now they are asking for the videos and permission to upload, and I am having second thoughts on what is literally a 2 line bullet point item in a 180 page document that I didn’t sign. My contract is with my employer, not the outside funding group.

1. I have no idea. I'm in the US, I don't do any IP.

2. Are you willing to lose your job over this?

3. What does your actual employment contract say about this?

4. Why do you care? Are you Nessie?

Bobatron
May 12, 2007

let me tell you of a
place called Cylesborgia,
where robosexuals and
lesbians live together
in harmony :roboluv:
I'm not a European copyright laywer but depending on your country you may have some moral rights https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_rights to the video even after signing away your copyright. Of course if your complaint is just not wanting to publish a video you agreed to I doubt they will help.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Boris Galerkin posted:

Long story short:

This is actually closer to IP law in combination with relevant labour law. First, I'd like you to answer

blarzgh posted:

1. I have no idea. I'm in the US, I don't do any IP.

2. Are you willing to lose your job over this?

3. What does your actual employment contract say about this?

4. Why do you care? Are you Nessie?

Then I'd like to hear where you're from. This isn't really a core EU (ip) law issue, and is probably down to what protection you can source from local law and your labour contract/natl. labour law. Depending on your country and your contract, I might be able to speak to it, but it's complex enough where I practice that I doubt it's any less complex where you live. PM me if you feel the need, but no guarantees on what I can look up.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Bobatron posted:

I'm not a European copyright laywer but depending on your country you may have some moral rights https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_rights to the video even after signing away your copyright. Of course if your complaint is just not wanting to publish a video you agreed to I doubt they will help.

'Moral rights' are 'don't edit this video to make me look like a paedophile', 99% of the time it's better not to tell people they exist.

You work for an employer who needs to show the EU grant payer value for their money. Deal with it.

uncloudy day
Aug 4, 2010
I got pulled over for driving with a suspended license and registration. The license was suspended for a speeding ticket that I never responded to and the registration for a parking ticket that I never responded to. According to the citation, I must appear in court for these. I met with a lawyer today who recommended paying all fines to lift the suspension on my license and registration, and asked for $1500 to represent me. It seems like a cut and dry plan to eventually reduce the fine/license points/further suspensions of my license that I may be given by a judge. This is in Baltimore MD.

Anyway my question is, is $1500 unreasonably high? Sorry in advance if pricing information isn't the right type of discussion for this thread.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

uncloudy day posted:

I got pulled over for driving with a suspended license and registration. The license was suspended for a speeding ticket that I never responded to and the registration for a parking ticket that I never responded to. According to the citation, I must appear in court for these. I met with a lawyer today who recommended paying all fines to lift the suspension on my license and registration, and asked for $1500 to represent me. It seems like a cut and dry plan to eventually reduce the fine/license points/further suspensions of my license that I may be given by a judge. This is in Baltimore MD.

Anyway my question is, is $1500 unreasonably high? Sorry in advance if pricing information isn't the right type of discussion for this thread.

you're possibly facing 60 days in jail, so...

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
In addition that, the lawyer is probably known at the traffic court which makes the court more likely to smoothly resolve the situation. Keep in mind that the traffic court likely has a vested interest in ratfucking you out of as much money as possible

Consider the $1500 a stupid tax

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 24, 2018

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

uncloudy day posted:

I had a family member pay $5000 for a DUI, which was half of what I expected. If you think you can figure it all out on your own, then estimate how many hours it would take and how much your time is worth.

If you can't even make an estimate, then you probably aren't going to be able to figure it out on your own and spend far more than you would have otherwise while driving yourself crazy trying to work it out.

It wouldn't hurt to do a little investigation to understand what the lawyer is doing, but I'd pay the $1500.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You’re lucky (probably because of a lighter complexion) that you weren’t arrested on the spot and had your car impounded. Four people were arrested just yesterday here in my city yesterday for driving with a suspended license.

Do what your lawyer says and pay your drat tickets in the future. The officer that pulls you over next might not be so generous.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

uncloudy day posted:

A friend of mine paid about $1000 in Arlington Va about 10 years ago for driving on a suspended license. Given the years that have passed and the real chance that you might have to serve time in jail, I'd say it's worth it if they are any good at all.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Basically the question you need to ask yourself is this: is it worth $1500 plus whatever fines/fees you have to pay to have this incident end with minimal impact on your driving record and stay out of jail? I’d say yes.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
You might be able to find a couple hundred cheaper but it’s on the order of a right price

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

Basically the question you need to ask yourself is this: is it worth $1500 plus whatever fines/fees you have to pay to have this incident end with minimal impact on your driving record and stay out of jail? I’d say yes.

Exactly. As an aside, it's always funny to me (not really in the ha ha sense) that some people decide that they don't have to deal with reality so long as something is "unfair" or they feel like they shouldn't have to. I swear, sometimes 90% of my job is just convincing the stupid rear end in a top hat that yes, there is such a thing as a national/municipal government and yes, they have power over you and yes, you have to deal with it no matter how unfairly you think you're being treated.

If someone is arresting you or making something "official" in any sense, if you don't deal with that correctly and immediately it's going to get a lot worse down the road and you can't take anything back. Don't pay tickets? You will get destroyed by a system who absolutely can and will gently caress you over in some foreseen or unforeseen way, and any time you ignore any official authority you are taking a huge risk. As an example, I believe some states have private ticket collection agencies that tack on some ridiculous sums to tickets in interests and fees and don't allow you to pay the ticket down piecemeal, so you're stuck with paying multiple times the sum for ages. Huge problem for low income people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Tickets rolling into thousands upon thousands of dollars in fines is one of the biggest things we deal with via the veteran's legal clinic down here. Florida, in particular, is notorious about suspending DLs for the slightest thing. If your insurance expires for whatever reason on your only registered vehicle, you lose your license. If you get delinquent on child support (often because rates were set when someone was active and deployed making 2-3x what they make now), you lose your license. If you commit any number of crimes (petit theft among many others) that have nothing to do with driving, you lose your license. If someone has a judgement over you for $1000 for a fender bender, you can lose your license.

If you had been here in Florida and got pulled over with a suspended license, suspended registration, and likely a warrant for your outstanding ticket there would have been no "notice to appear" unless you knew the officer personally and he felt like letting you off. You would be in jail facing multiple more citations and fines (that all must be satisfied to restore your license).

Luckily down here we have various veterans courts to help those we can that get stuck in these giant quagmires. I've seen $10,000 in fines from various driving w/o license charges among all the other tickets/citations that have been reduced to 500 hours community service. Typically the vets help out with other veterans programs for the CS so it's a win/win for the at-risk veteran community.

Seriously, though, uncloudy day - I hope this serves as a wake up call for you. poo poo could have gone a whole lot worse for you, and you're lucky as gently caress if you get out of it with only a couple of grand spent.