Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Is poo poo posting in a thread an attempt at adverse possession of the thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Only if the thread has gold fringe on the posts

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

pseudanonymous posted:

Since we're talking about adverse possession... Theres like a 2 foot strip of land next to my garage that is my property, my neighbors built a concrete strip on it and planned to put wood there and then asked me if I wanted to paint my garage or anything before they stacked wood there and I was like well that's my property you put that concrete strip on.

I don't really care if they keep wood there, the piece of land is not accessible to me at all really, it's totally inexplicable they way the garage was originally built but,

If I let them stack wood on that concrete do I risk losing that piece of my property?

It'll attract termites/bugs/critters (who then will have easy access to your garage), trap moisture against the structure, and generally be a fire hazard since, surprise, firewood burns rather well. And yes, it'll also reduce access to your house for maintenance purposes, so when you DO want to paint/whatever it'll be a PITA.

short answer no, don't let someone stack their firewood next to your garage.

Also because it's not their property, but that's almost a secondary concern.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I need to see each sides respective business cards before I can take a side in this law fight

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

euphronius posted:

with land you dont need contracts similar to other everyday scenarios.

Land law was invented 100s of years before contract law was invented in London law courts

you can still contract land usage rights tho, so whether you needed a contract or not when the battle of hastings occurred is irrelevant

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I’ll sell you an NFT of the Bayeux Tapestry which legally means you own the Battle of Hastings

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Phil Moscowitz posted:

I’ll sell you an NFT of the Bayeux Tapestry which legally means you own the Battle of Hastings
Does that mean I can take the Batlle of Hastings home to show my wife?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh trust me, she’s already seen it

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

blarzgh posted:

I was hoping you'd respect my decision not to be a pendantic goon

sir this is a legal thread

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

blarzgh posted:

I was hoping you'd respect my decision not to be a pendantic goon

No, we're lawyers, we don't respect that poo poo of other lawyers. Be loving pedantic

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

blarzgh posted:

We're not legally allowed to give you tax advice, or legal advice on how to handle your specific situation.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

DaveSauce posted:

It'll attract termites/bugs/critters (who then will have easy access to your garage), trap moisture against the structure, and generally be a fire hazard since, surprise, firewood burns rather well. And yes, it'll also reduce access to your house for maintenance purposes, so when you DO want to paint/whatever it'll be a PITA.

short answer no, don't let someone stack their firewood next to your garage.

Also because it's not their property, but that's almost a secondary concern.

If he gives permission, they can't adverse possess it. But can he revoke the permission later and evict the woodpile or can they claim squatters rights? Pretend he is a hypothetical person in a similar situation to that described and not the OP, who has received no legal advice nor created joinder.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Phil Moscowitz posted:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

pseudanonymous posted:

Since we're talking about adverse possession... Theres like a 2 foot strip of land next to my garage that is my property, my neighbors built a concrete strip on it and planned to put wood there and then asked me if I wanted to paint my garage or anything before they stacked wood there and I was like well that's my property you put that concrete strip on.

I don't really care if they keep wood there, the piece of land is not accessible to me at all really, it's totally inexplicable they way the garage was originally built but,

If I let them stack wood on that concrete do I risk losing that piece of my property?

the problem here sounds like a proof problem.

assume the fact you explicitly gave permission can defeat an adverse possession claim. five/ten/twenty years pass and they bring an adverse possession claim. how are you going to prove you gave them permission?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s an evidence issue not a proof issue. The standard of proof is normally preponderance of evidence which is - with any semblance of good persuasive skills from your lawyer - not a problem

The distinction between evidence and proof is another one of those tricky areas

Edit

The standard of proof normally in these kinds of cases o should say

euphronius fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 6, 2021

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

evilweasel posted:

the problem here sounds like a proof problem.

assume the fact you explicitly gave permission can defeat an adverse possession claim. five/ten/twenty years pass and they bring an adverse possession claim. how are you going to prove you gave them permission?

Give them an NTF of your permission.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The real answer is that adverse possession is common law and thus *slightly* different in every state due to things like (as above) how different judges have interpreted "hostile"

And the even realer answer is "how does the judge personally feel about your client, because this poo poo has wiggle room"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Following that post and adding :

Adverse possession has been codified in most states asfaict. I don’t have a 50 state comparison law article at my finger tips

Those codification are more or less based on the restatement of property law which is then based on common law and what some lawyers in Philadelphia thought at the time

Land developers on the USA obviously hated the English common law version of adverse possession and it neutered by their legislatures

euphronius fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 6, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Florida only requires 7 years.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Mr. Nice! posted:

Florida only requires 7 years.

If you’ve paid all back taxes and filed an “I claim adverse possession” tax return with the property appraiser.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The real answer is that adverse possession is common law and thus *slightly* different in every state due to things like (as above) how different judges have interpreted "hostile"

And the even realer answer is "how does the judge personally feel about your client, because this poo poo has wiggle room"

I bet most states, like Texas, have made it statutory

gently caress beaten by the counter revolutionary

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Why do lawyers have such a hard-on for talking about adverse possession?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Dik Hz posted:

Because we're continuously openly notoriously hostile.

Jean-Paul Shartre fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 6, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

It is a terror topic from 1L and we are all imprinted

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

It's up there with the rule against perpetuities

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Semi-seriously because RAP, adverse possession and recordation disputes are ALWAYS going to be tested in the property questions on our bar exams and so they're continuously pounded into our heads and we hate them for that.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

You forgot the rule in Shelley’s case

When the ancestor by any gift or conveyance takes an estate of freehold, and in the same gift or conveyance an estate is limited either mediately or immediately to his heirs in fee simple or in fee tail; that always in such cases, 'the heirs' are words of limitation of the estate, not words of purchase.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
So I'm not a lawyer. What's a perpetuity? Why is there a rule against them?

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

The law is not fond of things that restrict use of property. The rule basically prohibits people who are long dead from controlling how their descents use inherited property.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Captain von Trapp posted:

So I'm not a lawyer. What's a perpetuity? Why is there a rule against them?
You are an English Earl in the 1600s. You have several children, your eldest son Thomas is insane.

You make a will that says:
- Some lands go to 2nd son Henry & his descendants
- Later, if Thomas dies without children while Henry is still alive & Henry inherits the earldom (instead of Thomas's hypothetical children), those lands get taken from Henry and go to 3rd son Charles instead

Court basically decided that they do not want to be involved in dealing with that kind of mess and made a rule that you can't put conditions on property that trigger long after you are dead. Henry got to keep all the stuff + the earldom

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 7, 2021

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
So, the rule against Elizabeth Bennet having to marry rich because of the entailment on Longbourn?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Basically. There were apparently some specific legal wiggles you could do back then that let you set up a Pride and Prejudice

i.e.
- Mr. Bennet is a life tenant on the estate but has no other rights and can't sell it or split it
- On his death, Mr. Bennet's male children inherit it. If there are no male children, Mr. Collins inherits it
was legal at the time

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Foxfire_ posted:

You are an English Earl in the 1600s. You have several children, your eldest son Thomas is insane.

You make a will that says:
- Some lands go to 2nd son Henry & his descendants
- Later, if Thomas dies without children while Henry is still alive & Henry inherits the earldom (instead of Thomas's hypothetical children), those lands get taken from Henry and go to 3rd son Charles instead

Court basically decided that they do not want to be involved in dealing with that kind of mess and made a rule that you can't put conditions on property that trigger long after you are dead. Henry got to keep all the stuff + the earldom

i mean this is the more complex stuff that dances on the edge of the rule against perpetuities and you have to carefully work out the answer for the bar exam

the more intuitive thing for someone just wanting to understand it is: lots of people think their wishes are Very Important. imagine you are a baron in 1650, and you are in a long line of barons - each of whom, as a baron, thought their wishes were Very Important and added them as conditions to inherit the estate.

do you really want to need to care that your great-great-great grandfather said anyone who met an irishman and didn't kill him immediately would be disinherited, your great-great grandfather believed anyone who married anyone but a blonde wasn't manly enough to inherit, that someone way back when stuck on a clause that the oldest son MUST inherit even though your oldest son is a stupid jackass who tried to have you murdered once and you'd rather stuff in a monastery and leave everything to the smarter second-born?

basically, it's just a way to clean up the dead hand of the past: you can put conditions on your inheritance, but they've got to be limited to people who are reasonably temporally linked to you instead of for ten generations. basically, everything your will tries to do with property has to be complete no later than during the life of an heir to someone alive today (this is not the exact way it's phrased but it's reasonably close for a non-lawyer trying to get the idea)

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 7, 2021

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

evilweasel posted:

basically, everything your will tries to do with property has to be complete no later than during the life of an heir to someone alive today (this is not the exact way it's phrased but it's reasonably close for a non-lawyer trying to get the idea)

“Upon the death of the last relative of Queen Elizabeth II who was alive at the time of my death” is statistically about as long as you could control the trigger.”

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

evilweasel posted:

i mean this is the more complex stuff that dances on the edge of the rule against perpetuities and you have to carefully work out the answer for the bar exam

the more intuitive thing for someone just wanting to understand it is: lots of people think their wishes are Very Important. imagine you are a baron in 1650, and you are in a long line of barons - each of whom, as a baron, thought their wishes were Very Important and added them as conditions to inherit the estate.

do you really want to need to care that your great-great-great grandfather said anyone who met an irishman and didn't kill him immediately would be disinherited, your great-great grandfather believed anyone who married anyone but a blonde wasn't manly enough to inherit, that someone way back when stuck on a clause that the oldest son MUST inherit even though your oldest son is a stupid jackass who tried to have you murdered once and you'd rather stuff in a monastery and leave everything to the smarter second-born?

basically, it's just a way to clean up the dead hand of the past: you can put conditions on your inheritance, but they've got to be limited to people who are reasonably temporally linked to you instead of for ten generations. basically, everything your will tries to do with property has to be complete no later than during the life of an heir to someone alive today (this is not the exact way it's phrased but it's reasonably close for a non-lawyer trying to get the idea)

Since this is basically how you play Crusader Kings can't you just forge a claim on your own land, invade yourself, then be free and clear by rite of conquest?

ulmont posted:

“Upon the death of the last relative of Queen Elizabeth II who was alive at the time of my death” is statistically about as long as you could control the trigger.

Amusing that you don't tie this to the queen herself, or it would be as immortal as she is.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

evilweasel posted:

Heneage Finch, 1st Earl of Nottingham posted:

The Duke of Norfolk's Case: Or, the Doctrine of Perpetuities fully set forth and explain'd. Being the Learned Arguments and Opinions of the Right Honourable the Earl of Nottingham, late Lord High Chancellor of England . . . . Together with the Final Decretal Order of the House of Peers on the behalf of the Honourable Charles Howard esq. Printed Anno Domini. 1688.

Sadly, later law has made it more complicated. Also the UK national archives hasn't scanned it so there isn't a nice image of their copy of the folio

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Dik Hz posted:

I didn't have to do a bar exam so that's not it for me, I just think the idea of "you decide that land is yours and you use it for long enough, then it becomes yours" is really cool and pretty much unique in the legal landscape. One Weird Trick but it's actually real and a thing people can actually do. The fact that it's vanishingly rare in this day and age just makes it cooler when it does happen.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Organza Quiz posted:

I didn't have to do a bar exam so that's not it for me, I just think the idea of "you decide that land is yours and you use it for long enough, then it becomes yours" is really cool and pretty much unique in the legal landscape. One Weird Trick but it's actually real and a thing people can actually do. The fact that it's vanishingly rare in this day and age just makes it cooler when it does happen.

It's not that rare and norwegian realestate law is full of different variants on that poo poo. Including a right of ancient/historical usucaption wherein aboriginal peoples have a claim to certain areas due to usage over hundreds of years that is not extinguised by regular usucaption. The Supreme Court presedence that establishes this is as recent as twenty years ago.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Dik Hz posted:

Because it's like the most "yes, but, if..." thing in the law

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Dik Hz posted:

We all want your poo poo and using the law to take your poo poo is why we became lawyers and then we learned it was more paper pushing and herding cats.