Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today
In California, is there a legal issue with holding the property of someone who owes you money until they've paid that money? A client refusing to pay his last invoice wants me to pay to ship something back to him. I'm fairly certain I'm under no obligation to spend money to return it to him, but if he provides a way for me to return it that doesn't cost me money, can I still hold the item as collateral until he pays me the money he owes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Powdered Toast Man posted:

I recently quit from an employer I had been working at for about 3 years. At the time of my separation, I had a negative balance of PTO in their payroll system. This was, as it happens, right before the end of the year. Let's ignore the whole fact that their stupid system even allowed the negative balance anyway... (and the fact that the negative balance would have been cancelled out when the year rolled over and I got my PTO for 2012)

Several weeks later, I have now received a letter from my former employer stating that I have to repay them for that time, and it's a pretty substantial amount. The letter also states that they will not give me my W2 until I pay.

So...what are my options here? This is in the state of Georgia, btw, although the company is headquartered in California.

I can't really say anything on the subject of your obligation to pay back PTO, but if the company does not send you a W2, you can use form 4852: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4852.pdf

I'm not a lawyer, but it's my understanding that the company has a legal obligation to send W2s by January 31st, and that you can contact the IRS if you haven't received one by Febuary 14th using the phone number from that form. They'll contact the company to get a copy for you, or you can fill out that form using info from your last paystub if they can't get you a copy in time.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Robo Olga posted:

I thought you had a lawyer, you should probably be asking him these things.

Also maybe it's just me but do you not feel bad at all for trying to kick the woman your father loved out of their home? Your posts in this thread make you sound really heartless.

She's not living there, though, and she and his father were going to get a divorce before he unexpectedly died. There's nothing wrong with him trying to get some of his dad's estate (which would have gone to him if his dad had lived long enough for the divorce to go through anyway).

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Alterian posted:

Didn't they take attendance in the class when you took the test?

That was never a very common thing when I was in college, particularly for large classes.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

BirdOfPlay posted:

Also, I know there's a term for a cop preforming a legal search (and seizure) without a warrant, but I'm drawing a blank on it.

You're probably thinking of probable cause.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

woozle wuzzle posted:

somehow fall into a conflict, etc.

I know you're just posing a hypothetical, but it sounds really easy to fall into conflict- you could easily give advice to two parties suing each other.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

woozle wuzzle posted:

I'm speaking from the perspective of the law, not necessarily "what's correct parenting philosophy": you are incorrect. Unless it was in self-defense or defense of another, like the daughter started attacking some one and your sister subdued her by the wrist, then it was illegal. It sounds pretty clear a domestic battery occurred that could result in a charge.

Just out of curiosity, would spanking a child likewise be domestic battery? What legal line is drawn between acceptable physical punishment and battery, if any?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

areyoucontagious posted:

Hypothetical question regarding traffic stops:

If I'm transporting an unloaded firearm in my trunk (not in the cab of the car), is it better to inform the police officer stopping me, or do I only need to worry about that if he wants to search the car. I'm not transporting anything illegal, I have no problem with the officer searching my car, I just was wondering the best time to inform the officer of the weapon.

A friend of mine actually had an issue with this when he was in his late teens or early twenties. He'd been told to always inform an officer if you had a weapon when you were pulled over, so when he got pulled over for speeding he cheerfully told the officer, "Oh, by the way, Officer, I have a gun in the car." This was apparently not the best way to do it, since the officer's reaction was to take a step back, put his hand on his own gun, and say, "You sure you want to do this, son?" I've always wondered what was the appropriate, non-threatening way to inform someone you had a gun.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Little Miss RKO posted:

I'm not a lawyer, but registering your work entitles you to a lot more than just proving that you made it but didn't register it. If the work is unregistered, you will not be entitled to damages, only (if I remember right) any profits they may have gained from the use of your work, or what you would have charged for licensing the work to them.

I'm probably totally wrong though, since it was forever ago that I last heard an intellectual property lecture.

Not a lawyer either, but I think that you have to prove actual damages if it's not registered, whereas you can get the statutory damages (something like $150k per work, if I remember correctly) if it is registered.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Busy Bee posted:

My friends lawyer spent logged in over $7000 preparing for a trial (interviewing witnesses, writing trial brief etc) and on the week before trial when they were supposed to set the date, the prosecutor offers 25 hours of community service to have the case dismissed. My friend has two choices, take the 25 hours and do community service, or pay another $3000 towards his lawyer for the trial.

To me, this doesn't really sound fair? Or is this just how the justice system works?

Unless your friend makes more than $120 an hour, that sounds like a great deal

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

VyperRDH posted:

I'll have to see if I still have my employee handbook, but considering they fired me a day before I went on vacation my guess is that they don't pay for unused vacation.

I have another question. I got my paycheck for the first week of January and I wasn't paid for the first. It is a paid holiday and it even shows up on my time sheet, but the check is just for thursday. (Our pay periods are from the 1-15 and 16-31st, I don't work on Wednesdays. They fired me at the end of the day on Thursday Jan 3rd.) Can they legally not pay me for January the 1st?

You'll probably need to check your employee handbook for that too; I know I've worked for companies that don't give holiday pay if you're not working (or using PTO for) either the day before or the day after the holiday. If that's what their handbook says, and you were off the 31st as well, they wouldn't need to pay you for the 1st regardless.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Kalman posted:

We really need to post David Simon's essay on this from Homicide in the OP. The one in this (hopefully functional) link. http://books.google.com/books?id=uw...utput=html_text. It's long, so I will summarize: if you are a suspect, it is literally never in your interest to speak with police without your lawyers presence and advice.

Also, I work at a giant law firm. For white collar criminal work, I would hire them. For misdemeanor criminal stuff? I would wish I could hire a PD. Most private defense attorneys are poo poo, and most PDs in most jurisdictions are every bit as good as the lawyers I work with day to day who bill at 500+ an hour.

I've always been a little curious as to how they determine whether you can have a PD. It's supposed to be if you can't afford an attorney yourself, right? Since different lawyers charge different ammounts and trials can go for varying amounts of time, how does the court determine whether you can afford an attorney?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Angry Hippo posted:

Do you believe that was conveyed in his post?

If it takes a lawyer to explain what the hell he was actually trying to say I don't see it as very helpful or useful information.

I am not a lawyer, and I understood exactly what he meant. Then again, I'm a non-lawyer that lurks this thread, so that gives me some advantage in understanding concepts that come up in the thread regularly.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
My favorite part of that letter (you can read the whole thing at the bottom of the first page of the thread he linked) is this:

quote:

In addition, you have agreed to not distribute or share or otherwise disseminate
materials and documents provided to you from The Photographer including all copyright materials
received from The Photographer which includes all images, documents and any other material from
The Photographer. You have agreed to return, remove and delete from your computer system, hard
disk, or any physical or digital media or location where you may have these stored. We
are asking that you confirm in writing that you have done this and you may return all
physical documents to The Photographer to "#### Street St., City Ca #####." If
you do not return or confirm in writing that these actions have been taken and you are in
compliance, we will assume that violations of copyright or other violations may have
occurred and will occur in the future. We will pursue any and all copyright violations and
other violations that we believe have already or will occur in the future since they will
clearly be done to damage The Photographer and or to provide gain to you.

"I'm going to sue you for copyright violations that I assume are going to happen in the future!"

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

euphronius posted:

This is in California which might as well be Laos when compared to my native Pennsylvania, but I don't see how a lawyer could ethically represent both of you. Hopefully some other law goon will chime in.

I'm in CA, and assuming the stuff I've been looking up regarding pre-nups applies to other methods of dividing up property, you can have one lawyer do everything for you here but it's unlikely to hold up if either party challenges it, which mostly defeats the purpose. If only one lawyer is involved it's assumed the other party wasn't adequately represented and the agreement can be challenged.

Not at all a lawyer, this is just based on reading stuff written by CA lawyers a month or two back.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Michael Scott posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmTP4xUTqCM

Which driver (or which driver's insurance) would be liable for something like this, or is it 50/50...? Could insurance possibly cover the full damage here?

Lambo driver appeared to be going over the speed limit, but the other driver made a dumbass left turn.

Not a lawyer, but I imagine the driver that failed to yield when making a left hand turn would be at fault.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
I don't know if it's still popular enough to get results, but a friend of mine managed to get a laptop replaced quickly by contacting The Consumerist. Pretty soon after her story went up Dell got in touch with her to give her a new computer rather than try to repair her motherboard again.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
It's just come to my attention that the state listed for my father's birth on my marriage licence is inaccurate- I thought he was born here in CA, but it was actually NV. I'm guessing that information is a formality and doesn't really affect anything, but just in case, is there any reason I should amend my licence to get an accurate birthplace for my father?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Arcturas posted:

The PD vs. lawyer question is the only important one here. PD quality is very location-dependent. In my state, the major cities have great PD offices, and the PDs in the boonies don't have the resources they need. I don't know North Carolina's PDs. That said, hiring an attorney is going to be expensive.

I'd always been under the impression that there wasn't a lot of choice in the matter- that they wouldn't give you a PD if you could afford to hire a lawyer, so you either didn't have money to pay a lawyer and got a PD or did and weren't allowed a PD. I take it there's some overlap, some people who could potentially afford a lawyer but still qualify for a PD? How is that determination made (in general or in your experience, the jurisdiction for this hypothetical doesn't really matter to me)?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

patentmagus posted:

A friend of mine wanted to get into landlording and so we pulled out the spreadsheets and gathered lots of data. It turned out that the most profit was in HUD housing. The state pays on time and the tenants are motivated to avoid being evicted from their subsidized home. The down side is that you have to be a pretty cold bastard because so many of your tenants will be serial gently caress-ups that you want off your property.

My parents rented their old house out through HUD. When they got divorced, my mom, my sister, and I moved back to the old place. We gave them over 60 days notice and still nearly needed to evict them to get them out, and they had trashed the place when they finally did leave. Some of it was recent, but some things- like the mouse corpse ground into the carpet in one bedroom- had clearly been there for a long, long time. It was incredibly filthy.

The moral of the story is never be a landlord.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I have a question regarding email retention policies as they apply to litigation. I haven't read through this enough to know if it's up anyone's alley, but I figured it was worth a shot.

I am am aware of a non-profit organization that has been accused of having some shady practices. I'm not aware of anything that would get prosecuted, most likely, or even get them sued, but certainly could be damaging to their reputation and possibly compromise their non-profit status.

Anyway, said organization just implemented an email retention policy that will automatically delete all emails older than 90 days from the exchange server. Along with this, they're also implementing a policy stating that emails are not allowed to be archived anywhere outside of the exchange server. In practice they are stating that any email that exists from before 2014 is to be destroyed and if you don't you're breaking policy.

The stated reason for this is resources (server space, etc.), but given the very short policy of 90 days and the accusations against them I'm thinking that this is an excuse and that their reasons are legal.

My first question is, would this work? That is to say, if there were some sort of horrible crime committed (or something that could bring a civil suit) and it was all done via email, would they be able to show up at court with their email policy in hand with no issue? At what point are you destroying evidence?

Secondly, once you lose your own copy of your mail, is there anything keeping you safe from someone showing up with a copy of a forged email and claiming that it came from you? (I'm sure there are technical issues at hand here, but let's assume it's easily done) Wouldn't you want to have logs or records to refute such accusations?

I'm not a lawyer, but my for-profit company has the same e-mail policy; I'm given to understand it's increasingly common these days. We're a records management company, and making sure our clients are correctly applying retention is a big deal to us, so I can only imagine that someone checked very thoroughly before we implemented the policy and that it's legally sound.

In the event that you were sued and your e-mails were potentially evidence in the suit, you'd probably be required to make an archive at that point. Anything that was 90 days before the suit (and therefore destroyed before you were alerted that it was evidence) wouldn't be able to be used against you.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

ShadowMoo posted:

Has sovereign citizen ever produced anything other than comedy, pissed off judges, and prison terms?

If you're asking whether it's ever been successful in court, I've never heard of such a thing happening.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
This isn't a question, just a rant about a co-worker I thought people here might appreciate/be just as annoyed by as I am. He's getting a divorce, but he doesn't want to spend money on a lawyer, so he's just working with a paralegal to get the filings right. He refuses to understand that with a house and child support on the line, he really needs someone negotiating on his behalf, and that he stands to lose so much more than the cost of a lawyer. When he got his last paycheck, which included a large travel reimbursement so was much larger than normal, it auto deposited to their joint account and she drained the account. In her latest filing, she's asked for sole custody of the kids- he's already ceded the house to her and the kids because he wanted to disrupt the kids' lives as little as possible.

Watching this happen is just painful. There's no way he doesn't come out better paying a lawyer for help, but he just sees it as an expense he can't afford.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

beejay posted:

Not a lawyer, but am I the only one that finds it hilarious when people post something that clearly obviously happened/is happening to them and then put "hypothetically" at the beginning? It seriously makes me laugh every time.

Many of the lawyers in this thread feel more comfortable answering things phrased as a hypothetical, even if they are obviously not hypothetical.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

tehloki posted:

How do you propose a person would stop a dog from barking

Well, there are collars you can buy that will spray a dog when it barks. I don't have one of those, but if I'm home when my dog is barking I stick my head out and tell him to shut up and come inside, that works too.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

blarzgh posted:

It would probably technically be a form of assault.

EDIT:

Tex. Penal (hur hur) Code § 22.01. ASSAULT. (a) A person commits an offense if the person:(3) intentionally or knowingly causes physical contact with another when the person knows or should reasonably believe that the other will regard the contact as offensive or provocative.

Is it really physical contact with another if you just leave something that used to be part of you somewhere that someone else will touch it? Is leaving a hair in someone else's toothbrush likewise assault?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

woozle wuzzle posted:

Nope. Can't legally sell his stuff, even with certified notice tattooed to his penis. You can't resort to self-help.

The only way to legally sell his property is to sue to evict, and enforce the judgment by levy. Also, if rent is short by B's share, the landlord will view that as your problem.

I'm curious if they'd have to store his stuff at their expense indefinitely, or if there's some point that they can just put it on the street and wash their hands of it. Presumably if Goofus doesn't return before the lease ends and they move out they don't have to move it somewhere else.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

chemosh6969 posted:

I've seen them too but the nice place he describes isn't one I've really seen with alleys between them. Maybe my definition of nice and quiet family neighborhood is different but the ones that have homeless living in cars aren't all that great to begin with.

I live in a nice neighborhood and there area alleys between houses; almost no one has driveways and they just access garages from the alley instead of from the front. The neighborhood is about a hundred years old, it probably wasn't designed the same way modern ones are but it's still nice and peaceful.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

pandariot posted:

Update of sorts: they emailed me that I am not entited to vacation pay according to the employee manual

You're in California, you're entitled to vacation pay. California considers accrued vacation to be wages, the employer can't create a policy in the manual that would keep them from you.

Now, if you got access to 10 vacation days before accruing the time off, it's possible he's right that he overpaid that. However, if it's a setup where you lose any saved vacation at the end of the year and get access to the next year's worth immediately at the beginning of the next year, that's also illegal in California; you can't take away saved vacation at the end of the year like that.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Queen Elizatits posted:

Please settle an argument friends. Is there a law that controls how much percentage a Realtor makes of a sale? For the purposes of this argument it is San Antonio Texas but if anyone has heard of a similar law anywhere I would love to know about it. I know 6% is the usual amount but is it an actual law?

I bought a house in California a few years ago, and it was by contract; the seller determined what percentage would go to each realtor involved. The seller's realtor, as far as I know, negotiates with the seller for their percentage, while the amount going to the buyer's realtor is part of the listing, discouraging the buyer's realtor from showing the buyer homes that they wouldn't get much from. My realtor explained the latter part, and phrased it as "can we stick to looking at houses that let me get paid for the services I'm providing you?" and we did.

It's been a few years so I could be getting part of that wrong, but I'm fairly confident that this state, at least, doesn't require a particular percentage go to and realtors involved.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

like everything is an island if you think about it

Oh man! That means we can't use the gold fringe on a flag to get out of lawsuits anymore!

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Thanatosian posted:

A question some lawyers in this thread can probably actually answer: I'm working on prepping some discovery documents in what is for me the largest case I've ever worked on (about 750,000 pages of discovery). Most (99%+) of what I've been working with has been provided to us in .pdf format. I have been bates-stamping the .pdfs, and providing the redacted versions to opposing counsel, broken down into logical sections: it's about 1000 insurance claims, so I've broken them down by claim, meaning most of the files are fairly large .pdfs (1000 pagesish, with a couple in the 2000ish range), but certainly not unmanageable. This is pretty much how I always do discovery docs. Am I committing some sort of discovery faux pas, here? Opposing counsel is pissed at us, because they wanted everything in single-page tifs (and after spending over a week getting this all sorted into .pdfs, they weren't interested in paying me to spend another week to do that).

There was no stipulation before we produced it as to the format it would be produced in, so legally, I'm reasonably sure I'm on solid ground (and the attorneys I'm working with agree with me), and I'm not asking for legal advice, but am I being an rear end in a top hat by providing the files that way? Is that not considered a fairly standard way to provide them? For the future, should I be looking at handing things over as single-page tifs?

I figure Goon lawyers are going to be a little more technically savvy than the lawyers I work with, whose eyes start to glaze over when I start waxing poetic about file formats.

The idea that someone would prefer single-page tiffs over pdfs is incredibly strange to me. My company does records management, and while we convert things to tiff to display them within our software, it's really rare than anyone wants it exported in anything but pdf, and we have a lot of law firms that use our software. I'm pretty sure you're not being an rear end in a top hat by providing the files in pdf, absent a request for some other format.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

NancyPants posted:

I have to imagine it could create problems for the kid later on down the road when she has arrest warrants show up in records checks? Why not take the loving kid to court and make the idiot who requested the subpoena look like the illiterate moron he clearly is?

A lot of people suggested that; she's just concerned because the baby was born premature and can't be vaccinated yet, so she doesn't want to bring it to a crowded place.

I'm amazed that the people at the DA's office were adamant that the baby needed to testify.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
While we're talking title insurance, there was something I was curious about. My sister bought property recently and a neighbor told her husband that some of the land he was mowing belonged to the neighbor, not my sister. They're in a dispute about it now, lawyers are involved. Based on my limited understanding of title insurance, I suggested that my sister contact her title insurance since this sounds like the kind of thing they're supposed to cover- the survey done as part of the purchase indicated she was buying that land, the neighbor claims he has a contradicting survey, and I thought title insurance would step in to help if someone else was claiming land that was part of that purchase. She got in touch and said it wasn't something they cover, which surprised me. What am I missing about title insurance that makes that something it wouldn't cover?

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

reformed bad troll posted:

I live in the UK, a 1st world country and our taxes get deducted from wages before we see it hit our bank account. Only self employed people need to fill out tax forms.

Lol America.

That happens for anyone who isn't self employed in America, too.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Random thought I had this morning: if you successfully sue someone, do you have to pay taxes on the amount you got in the suit? It's my understanding that lawsuits are generally to be made whole, undoing some previous monetary damage you suffered, so I wouldn't think it would be treated as income, but laws are weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006

Alchenar posted:

So OP is being coy (which leads to a suspicion there's all sorts of fees and liabilities already attached that he's hoping to be able to escape), but I can certainly conceive of circumstances where a property will never be commercially viable because you have a condemned house on land in a dead city and it will cost more money to make it sellable than you will ever get for it. I can also see why a person who finds themselves with title to such a property would want to find a way to wash their hands of it.

I feel something like this may have been discussed here before, but what happens if someone who owns such property dies? I assume that his heirs can refuse to take ownership, so what happens after going down the list and all potential heirs refuse the property? I assume that the same entity that would seize it for unpaid taxes will eventually take possession, but is there some other process than seizing it for unpaid taxes that the state can take possession of it? Can the rest of the estate be given to heirs in the meantime or would the estate slowly be drained by property taxes until it's gone and the property finally gets seized?