Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
NJ Unemployment Law question.

Back in March, the retailer I worked for fired all the hourly employees (assistant managers and down) and furloughed all the salary employees (store managers and up).

A store manager that I am friendly with, who works at a different location warned me today that I shouldn't be in contact in with my (previous) store manager. They're slowly starting to reopen, and she thinks if the store manager asks me to come back and I say no, then I can't claim unemployment anymore since I've turned down work.

But, they fired me? And I would have to go through the reapplication process to go back. The wording of my termination was that I would be able to 'reapply for any open positions', which I have no intention of doing.

So, all the store manager would be doing is offering me an opportunity to reapply, not actually offering work. Can she technically extend a job offer if I haven't applied?

Eta: Store manager sent me a text as I was writing that. She wants to know if I plan on coming back, as the other assistant manager already told her she's not.

Currently ignoring that text.

Hopes Fall fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Devor posted:

I think this FAQ answers your questions:

https://myunemployment.nj.gov/labor/myunemployment/covidinstructions.shtml

The short answer is that you're not allowed to refuse work and still collect UI - but Question 3 talks about not returning to work due to coronavirus related reasons

Yeah, I've read that. I'm questioning whether it would count as me refusing work if I no longer work for them. It's not as though furloughed and still in payroll. I am not a current employee;I would need to reapply, and be rehired in the system. How can she offer me a job I haven't applied for?

To me it feels like if McDonald's randomly asked, "hey, do you want a job?" and that somehow would count as me refusing to work.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

evilweasel posted:

the question you're really asking is what does your state UI system think about that (and related question: how would they find out about it), not can someone offer you a job that you didn't apply for.

Fair. That is a much better way to phrase my question.

I spoke to the friendly store manager a little while ago, and she told me that they were authorized to reach out the previous staff and offer 1 full time assistant manager position, and 1 part time assistant manager position. And then email HR with a list of who they reached out to and they said.

So, it sounds like they are exactly maneuvering to get us to agree to reapply, or contest our unemployment.

Edit: still not answering that text. Probably should've blocked her drat number.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!
So, my landlord has a tenant who moved out about 3.5 years ago, and they left a small boat in the backyard. He has contacted them a few times about it, and it's always "yeah, I'll be by".

What would happen if this boat was listed on Craig's List?

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

therobit posted:

Is this property in a state where boats are titled at the DMV? Otherwise it might be hard to prove. There is probably an abandoned property procedure the landlord must follow though.

"Those not based in New Jersey or operating for less than 180 consecutive days."

Sooo... maybe?

It is on a trailer incidentally.

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Azuth0667 posted:

Hoe helpless are new jersites if they can't pump their own gas?

Just because I can doesn't mean I want to. I'll enjoy my nice toasty interior in December, and nice cool interior in August, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopes Fall
Sep 10, 2006
HOLY BOOBS, BATMAN!

Azuth0667 posted:

Okay thread I need free and specific legal advice now. How illegal is it to dismiss candidates if they prove unwilling or incapable of pumping their own gas? State of California.

I was born in California and I've got the paperwork to prove it.

Ya screwed.

Can I sue for libel now?