Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marxist Socialite
Jan 14, 2007

A friend of a friend posted a picture of her working in a morgue. Which wouldn't be bad except she is posing with her aunt, smiling in front of a completely visible dead body (I'm not going to post it). I'm trying to imagine a situation in which this would be ok and I just can't think of it.

Is this my problem, and do I have an obligation to do something about it? I kind of feel sick about it because my mom just died a couple a months ago, and the idea that someone would do something like that is unbelievably violating. I don't know anything about privacy laws in that kind of situation. Any advice is welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxist Socialite
Jan 14, 2007

Incredulous Red posted:

I don't think you have an affirmative duty to report, but I am not a lawyer, and I would not advise you over the internet even if I was.

I can tell you that this sounds like something she would be fired for, and something she probably wouldn't want showing up in the local paper. If you're really her friend, your obligation to "do something about it" probably extends at least as far as giving her a phone call before calling the cops and telling her you don't think it's an OK thing to pose for pictures with relatives in front of dead bodies she's supposed to be working on, rather than trying to get her arrested or fired. Just sayin'

Just to be clear, I don't actually know the person. She's a friend of a friend, my friend told me about it but refused to do anything about it because she doesn't think it's actually illegal. That's another problem is that I'm not even sure who I would report it to.

Kind of sounds like I can't do anything about it but this is just something that people aren't just fired for, but are shamed in the paper and investigated by the police for.

Marxist Socialite
Jan 14, 2007

Ok, thank you everyone for your help.