Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Mr. Nice! posted:

My clients did not have UIM. They were in a wreck that was not their fault. Bills exceed $600k because both were hospitalized and one was in a coma.

Defendant has a 100/300 policy. That means the most my clients can collect from his insurance is $200k. If they had UIM, that would kick in and provide policy limits as well.

I'll add that this varies by state. In Georgia, for example, underinsured motorists can work on either an "add-on" basis, where it adds your UIM limit on top of whatever liability limit the at-fault party has; or UIM may work on a "reduced by" basis, meaning it only covers the difference between the other person's liability limit and your UIM limit. So if, for example, the at-fault party has $25,000 of BI and the not-at-fault party has $100,000 UIM, then the maximum UIM payout would be $75,000, which is the "gap" between the $100K UIM and the at-fault party's $25K BI.

An example showing how big a deal this can be:

- At-fault person (AF) has 50/100 bodily injury (BI).
- Not-at-fault person (NAF) has 100/300 underinsured motorists (UIM).

AF injuries NAF in an accident. NAF has $150,000 of medical bills from the accident.
AF's BI pays its per-person limit of $50,000, leaving NAF with $100,000 to address.

If NAF has "add-on" UIM: NAF will receive $100,000 from UIM, because their UIM works on top of AF's BI limit. They're fully covered.
If NAF has "reduced by" UIM: NAF will receive $50,000 from UIM, as that is the "gap" between AF's $50K BI and NAF's $100K UIM. They'll need to sort out the $50,000 some other way.

People should contact their insurers and ask if they offer any sort of "stacking" or "add-on" UM/UIM coverage. It's often skipped as a way to save premium, with customers not understanding what it is or how it works (unless they have a good agent).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Yeah, to clarify, I didn't mean to imply that "stacking" is a synonym for Georgia's add-on coverage (though you'll sometimes hear it erroneously called that). I meant it more as a general statement that people should talk to their insurer about whatever UM/UIM options their company/state offers, so they don't miss out on add-on, stacking, conversion, or whatever else. Thanks for adding some stacking examples for the thread :)

It's prudent to ask your insurer to explain any term you don't understand on the declaration, in general. Like, if you live in PA, then you should learn the difference between Full and Limited tort. Most folks just pick Limited because it's cheaper than Full, and many do so without understanding what it means. If you're going to reject some weird term that costs money, at least know what it is before you reject it, so that you're making an informed decision.

Shine fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Mar 2, 2021

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

bird with big dick posted:

The accident I was recently in the guys property coverage wouldn’t even cover my truck let alone the 4 other vehicles he damaged so this is a wise maneuver on your part imo. 100k woulda been enough I think, and it was a seriously horrible accident like basically as bad as you can get without killing someone.

10k wouldn’t have even covered my camera equipment that was damaged/destroyed in the accident.

Yeah, 100K is a good baseline for property damage liability. A multi-car accident can easily blow past 50K. Hell, totaling a lot of single vehicles (recent model year high end trims, luxury models, trucks, etc.) can exceed 25K easily. 10K is straight up "please sue me" territory. California's PD minimum is only 5K, so it's all good if you total someone's old-enough-to-vote Corolla, I guess.

Generally 250/500/100 is about as high as you'd set your auto liability limits, at which point you can add an umbrella liability policy for fairly low cost. Some companies require different minimum underlying auto limits, such as 100/300 for the BI, or 50K for the PD, so check with your specific carrier. Though if you want to have higher UM/UIM than 250/500, then you can set the auto limits higher. Some companies can add excess UM/UIM to an umbrella policy, which may be cheaper than cranking up the limit on the auto policy.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Nothing he can do in terms of insurance. I’m assuming if he has no collision he also has no UM. Collision/UM is what would have stepped into exactly this circumstance, and unfortunately is the only thing I can think of that might have helped.

Yeah, MA has a "limited collision" option (coverage for damage if you are <50% at fault and the other vehicle is identified) which is basically their version of UMPD, so you'd need at least that to have a shot at covering this. I can't speak for legal recourse, but taking the insurance information at face value, I don't see anything that would obligate Commerce to pay. :(

I agree with looking into a state victim fund. I am a volunteer victims of crime advocate (albeit not in MA) and I help people apply for state assistance, along with other forms of assistance from local community centers, charities, etc. Google around for crime victim advocates in the area and see if they can point your friend toward anything.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

He says he's got something called "insurance under bodily injury from an uninsured vehicle," I assume that's related to any medical bills that might arise from this? He's not certain.

Correct, that is Part 3 - Bodily Injury Caused by Uninsured Auto. A hit-and-run/unidentified auto is considered an uninsured auto, for that coverage's purpose. If he has injuries stemming from the accident, then that coverage (along with Part 2 - Personal Injury Protection) can help. A Commerce claims rep can guide him through the process.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I hate you all.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

EwokEntourage posted:

I am being unfairly attacked and I demand you do something about it

Alas, I am authorized only to ask the thread to exercise.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

My spouse and their ex had the rare legit amicable "let's just take our respective cars and 401(k)s, split the checking account, and pay the admin fee" divorce. No kids, no house, no business, no particularly hard feelings, and they both had self-sufficient incomes; so for them it was just another government office transaction. They brought their marriage license to the county clerk and said "can we return this here?", got the paperwork, paid a few hundred dollars apiece, had some mandatory waiting period, and they were split.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

I wanna note that it's best not to use the term "transgendered." Just say a person is "transgender." It seems trite, but it's one of those subtleties in language that matters in terms of how it's describing people. Like, I'm "black," not "a black," for example. There's a difference in connotation that matters to me, and likewise there's one between "transgender" versus "transgendered."

You obviously mean well and meant no harm, and I point this out so that you can more effectively respect and advocate for your transgender friends and coworkers :)

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

But pretend you’re on Judge Judy and she says, “Did you get the item?” You say yes, and she says, “Did they get paid?” And of course you say no. What happens next?

”Judgement for the plaintiff in the amount of one hundred doll hairs.” And then you get to do an awkward interview where you say mumble about not agreeing with the ruling but you guess you can’t win ‘em all.

Hahahahahaha

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Why didn’t they just say “about 64 killerbites”

:cripes:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Buy an umbrella liability policy.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

euphronius posted:

Some states also limit how much the plaintiff can sue for depending on their own level of coverage . Which is bizarre to me but that is policy I guess.

Read this and was like "here come words about Pennsylvania :allears:"

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Gaunab posted:

I'm sorry for asking the legal questions thread in a question before pursuing legal action. I also apologize getting mad at someone for looking through my post instead of directly asking me questions. You guys really showed me. I'll read contracts from now on so i won't waste your time.

Oh my god shut up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

BonerGhost posted:

Families regularly protect convicted sex offenders

Yeah, and many families have unconvicted child molesters where it's an open secret that everybody just kinda talks around. "Oh, he's not great with children" type of poo poo. :bang: