Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

sexily posted:

I looked for pro bono stuff in my area, but came up empty.

Are you in the SF Bay Area by any chance? Bay Area Legal Aid has pro bono family law assistance if you qualify, and if not, they probably can give you a referral at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

visuvius posted:

Yeah okay its community property.

I guess I'm just astounded at how hosed up the laws can be.

The entire IRA and 401(k) amounts are community property to the extent you contributed to them after marriage. The amount beforehand isn't. So if you didn't start contributing to either until you two were married, well, yes, community property all the way.

But you probably want to a divorce attorney soon if this is a large amount you're worried about. Especially for the 401(k), which is trickier to divide.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

GregNorc posted:

I was wondering, since someone in this thread might know: If I get a legal judgement, I can sell the debt right? To like, a collection agency? So maybe I get a judgment for 2400.00, and I sell it to a collection agency for half (which was the original deposit to begin with). I get my deposit back, and the landlord gets the joy of having debt collectors calling.

My understanding is that you would assign the debt to an attorney with the agreement that he or she would take a percentage of the recovery, then give the rest back to you. That could be anywhere from 20% to 50%, depending on the amount and the attorney.

Though I don't practice debt collection, so take that with a grain of salt.

GregNorc posted:

Is this a decent plan? The attorney general's office made it sound like they are great at getting a judgment, but collecting on it will be a major pain in the rear end, so this seems like an efficient way to get my refund (and subject the landlord to a collections agency, which would be kind of hilarious.

Do you have a canceled check for any of the rent checks you paid? Then you know the bank your landlord uses from the deposit stamp on the back. Generally speaking, that would be enough information to go to court and effectively have the judgment enforced: you know where he banks and can ask the court to freeze his account until he pays up. (That wouldn't necessarily work in, e.g., California; here you can only go after the bank where the person physically opened the account, not any of its other branches. Don't know how that works for online only banks.)

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
You might have better luck with your state's Labor Department rather the federal DOL. Arizona's Labor Department is part of the Industrial Commission of Arizona.

This is a link to both contact information and the wage claim form:
http://www.ica.state.az.us/Labor/Labor_WagClm_Wage_Claim_Forms.aspx

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

euphronius posted:

A $3500 retainer for a custody case sounds completely outrageous. But I don't know your locality so it may be normal. My instinct is you could find an attorney whose retainer, if any, would be 1/10th of that. You should be able to talk to an attorney for 30 mins for like $50 through a local bar referral service.

I am curious which locality has divorce attorneys that ask $350 retainers for contested custody cases.

Should be sleeping posted:

Believe me, we're saving for an attorney, will be able to get that in a few months, however in the mean time we are filing papers with the help of the local legal clinic, and we were wondering on the forms we're filing with the courthouse tomorrow if she has to put her current legal last name on the response forms, or is there a certain way of listing it officially, like nee , except for a married name.

Several options spring to mind:
1) You could ask the local legal clinic how to handle the erroneous name issue.
2) Your wife can call a court clerk, explain she's pro per, and ask if she needs to do anything special when filing her response.
3) Alternately, ask someone from the legal clinic to call the court clerk. The clerk may be willing to give help to an attorney he or she might not to pro per caller.

Does your clinic offer pro bono representation by any chance? Or maybe someone there could direct you an attorney who can at least give you some legal coaching (as opposed to taking on the case himself/herself)?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

euphronius posted:

I think retainer practice is a regional / local thing.

The amount and specific details---e.g., evergreen or not---would, sure, but I still have to admit scepticism in regard to there being many family law attorneys who take on custody cases without a retainer, whatever the amount.

Speaking of amount, I'm with gvibes: $3,500 isn't unusual, at least in California.

euphronius posted:

If Should be sleeping walked into my office I would not even make them pay a retainer because 1. They both have jobs and make good money and 2. They have a house.

Nothing against Should be sleeping, who I'm sure is upright and would pay his attorney, but in general, I don't think having a house or steady, well-paid employment necessarily matters. They are evidence of ability to pay, not inclination to do so. You have no way of knowing if a stranger will be an honest client or be the type to refuse to pay the balance due when the matter's ended, or the sort to hit you with a malpractice claim if you pursue what you're owed in court or via collections. If you're not working on contingency or pro bono, then a retainer just seems common sense.

Granted, things may be different in your particular location, but I think what I wrote holds true for most legal markets in the US.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
A dissolution IS a divorce. The terms are equivalent.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

NancyPants posted:

I'm not a lawyer so this is not legal advice. As far as I know, a check is basically good indefinitely, and I'm not sure you can force someone to cash one at a specific time.

Caveat: This is not legal advice or an offer for representation. This is neither an area of law or jurisdiction in which I practice.

Generally, a check is assumed valid for six months from the date issued, after which a bank *may* decide to cash the check. This is from the Uniform Commercial Code, which is not itself law, but each state has adopted a version of the UCC. The relevant part in Washington's version would seem to be this:

RCW 62A.4-404
Bank not obligated to pay check more than six months old.

A bank is under no obligation to a customer having a checking account to pay a check, other than a certified check, which is presented more than six months after its date, but it may charge its customer's account for a payment made thereafter in good faith.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

john mayer posted:

I wouldn't take this too much to heart. I work in a bank, and while we would never cash a check that old, people come in all the time complaining their super old check was cashed by a business and there's not much that can be done. Businesses do it all the time. Same with postdated checks and a bunch of other weird stuff we wouldn't accept.

The statute fits what you said: a bank can cash a check presented for payment after the six month point, but the bank is also free to not do so.

The relevance of this to the original questioner is that the landlord might present the check for payment months in the future and if there's no stop payment order, the check might be honored.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Incredulous Red posted:

This is why I don't want to practice family law. There are no possible outcomes where your client will be happy with you.

Sure there are. They may not be happy with the fact they're getting divorced, but clients do tend to be happy with someone they trust who navigates the legalities and fights for a good settlement.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
First things first: I'm not your lawyer, not licensed in your state, not legal advice.

If you paid by check, that means you can get copies of the canceled checks from your bank. That plus the receipts should be ample evidence to the building manager that (1) you did indeed pay the extra $100 per month and (2) you're organized enough to present evidence to that effect at court if it goes that far.

Out of curiosity, what did the old lease list as the rent and amount owed for utilities? And did the landlord ever give you any written notice of the higher rent amount owed?

Also, this might help you:
http://www.lawhelp.org/documents/1593216300EN.pdf?stateabbrev=/WA/

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

bEatmstrJ posted:

I'm fairly certain the lack of overtime is against the law....

Is the employer saying that the employees can work extra hours in a week they're already working, but won't be paid for overtime even if that puts them over forty hours that week or eight that day? If so, then there's a problem.

Or is the employer offering extra hours up to, but not over, forty in the week or eight a day?

bEatmstrJ posted:

but i'm wondering if a company can just close down a few days and make you use your accrued time off to cover the difference.

The employer isn't not making the employees use any accrued time off, though. The employer is just saying that if the employees want to offset not working those two days, they can go ahead and use some of their sick or personal time. The employer doesn't have to allow using sick days for holidays.

Though I don't get what "personal time" means. Does the employer have a general PTO bank? Or is the split really sick days-vacation days-personal days? I've only ever seen the three together in collective bargaining agreements. Is your sister in a union?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

bEatmstrJ posted:

I think its a combo sick/personal necessity bank and a separate vacation bank. My gf only has about 8 hours of sick time left and they are saying they want employees to use that time instead of vacation time (but they will TRY to push through a vacation time request instead since she doesnt have the hours needed).

Strange, but the employer isn't obligated to approve a specific vacation day request, so I suspect your girlfriend is really at the mercy of her supervisor here.

bEatmstrJ posted:

And yes, the make-up hours would be in addition to the already scheduled 40 hour work week. So they want employees to work more than 40 hours and the difference will be used to make up the time off for holidays.

This is where it gets a mite bit tricky. California does actually allow makeup time, but only in very limited circumstances would an employer not owe overtime otherwise due. Here's Labor Code § 513 on make-up time:

quote:

If an employer approves a written request of an employee to make-up work time that is or would be lost as a result of a personal obligation of the employee, the hours of that make-up work time, if performed in the same workweek in which the work time was lost, may not be counted toward computing the total number of hours worked in a day for purposes of the overtime requirements, except for hours in excess of eleven (11) hours of work in one (1) day or forty (40) hours of work in one (1) workweek. If an employee knows in advance that he or she will be requesting make-up time for a personal obligation that will recur at a fixed time over a succession of weeks, the employee may request to make-up work time for up to four (4) weeks in advance; provided, however, that the make-up work must be performed in the same week that the work time was lost. An employee shall provide a signed written request for each occasion that the employee makes a request to make up a work time pursuant to this section. While an employer may inform an employee of this make-up time option, the employer is prohibited from encouraging or otherwise soliciting an employee to request the employer’s approval to take personal time off and make-up the work hours within the same workweek pursuant to this section.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

nern posted:

Here is the situation I am looking for helpful information about :

In Rhode Island, a woman has a restraining order against her husband for domestic assault. She is now seeking a divorce from him and, being a person of lower income, is going through Rhode Island legal services. The problem is, since they were together, the husband has moved (possibly out of state, to Massachusetts). In order to serve him divorce papers, Rhode Island legal services needs some kind of address, work or home, at which to serve him. But, the woman no longer has his home address (since he moved) and he did not work when they were last together and she does not know whether he does now or not. How is she supposed to obtain his new address while she has a protection order against him barring contact? Additionally, given that she is seeking a divorce on the grounds of domestic violence, how can she reasonably be expected to track down the husband and obtain such information? She knows that he is on probation for the domestic violence charges (and so has a PO), information that was obtainable online through court records. But, she has no idea where to go from here: legal services needs an address to serve him divorce papers, and they are adamant that they do not investigate such things (its outside their purview). Where should she go from here?

Has she tried contacting the probation officer?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

nern posted:

the PO could not provide her with her current address directly. but the PO was unsure as to whether she could provide legal services with his address for service of the divorce papers. she should hear back from the PO tomorrow.

Does she know where and when he meets with the PO? Legal services can have a process server or sheriff's deputy serve the papers personally. Or maybe they can mail the paperwork to him care of the PO's office via certified mail with return receipt. She should ask anyway.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

nern posted:

she has no info about when or where he meets with his PO. Hopefully she will get some good info from the PO tomorrow. If not, the next step will be either this or going for the service through publication.

But she does have the court information for his conviction, right? She could call up to find out the local probation office's address. Though why the PO doesn't just give her that information is odd as probation office addresses are public.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Pinkied_Brain posted:

Now the question - I already disputed the ticket and intend to plead not guilty, the court date is scheduled for March of next year. I am wondering whether this 15 vs 20 detail would justify a dismissal of the ticket. The cop himself said I was going 15, but the ticket says 20, so it's filled out incorrectly. Can I use this? Anything else I can do here?

I want to make sure I understand. Your ticket is for running a stop sign and you want to argue in court that you are not guilty of running a stop sign because you did so at 15 MPH rather 20. There must be something I missed in your post because this makes zero sense. Are bicyclists in the city not required to stop at stop signs?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Incredulous Red posted:

If it's California, the correct answer is "trial by written declaration". And don't admit you ran the stop sign in your declaration.

That just means Pinkied_Brain can contest the ticket without going into court, though; this isn't some sort of technicality that's going to get him or her off. Granted, if the judge rules against Pinkied_Brain, there's the option of requesting a new (in-person) trial, but again, that doesn't mean he or she will have the ticket magically go away.

Also, I imagine the officer would be pretty likely to respond since he or she can write the response on the clock without even having to get up from their chair. No need to spend the morning in court.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Robo Olga posted:

I live in California. My husband and I were served with notice that a small claims court case was being filed against us in South Carolina back in August to have money released that was being held in an escrow account. We responded to that notice and countered that the money should be released to us and sent our evidence along with that as requested by the court.

We didn't hear anything at all until yesterday. We received an unregistered letter from the court summoning us to appear. The summon was issued by the court the 15th of November, and mailed first class the 28th. The summons was for court yesterday morning at 9am. We tried calling yesterday but by the time the letter got here it was too late in SC and they were closed.

My husband got in touch with someone, I think a clerk, today who told us because we didn't show up the person who filed the claim won and was being given the escrow.

I am asking this more out of curiosity than anything else I guess since we aren't actually out any money as the judge didn't award the person the court fees, but is this really proper procedure? I know when we filed a small claims case in California we had to prove the other person had received the paperwork 14 days before the court day. In this case we didn't receive anything until after the court date and the clerk didn't see any problem with that.

You might want to call the clerk back and ask what the procedure is for filing an appeal. The clerk might balk at this and claim you're asking for legal advice, but make clear you just want whatever packet and forms a small claims litigant ordinarily would receive and that you would be fine with a link to the relevant small claims website.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Incredulous Red posted:

IANAL but my advice would be to use it to impeach him during direct examination.

There almost certainly won't be one since this is small claims court. The judge will have looked over all the evidence, will ask any clarifying questions he or she has, and possibly ask if the parties have tried to settle this outside of court or are willing to do so now. No one is going to get up in the witness stand for direct or cross.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

B B posted:

So, uh, can my landlord force me to keep my blinds down? I'm currently renting a small room in a single-family home in a gated community. My room doesn't have an overhead light in it, so during the day, I prefer to have my blinds up to get some natural light in the room. Every time I put the blinds up, the landlord gets on my case, and starts talking about how the community is "very private" and he insists that I put my blinds down--basically turning my room into a bat cave. (Prior to moving in, I was promised a light source--and they gave me a small, single-bulb lamp that lights roughly one corner of my room).

This is probably a stupid question, but are there any legal grounds for him to force me to keep my blinds down? There's definitely nothing in the lease about it. The only thing I can think of is some home owner's association clause or something. I am in Virginia, by the way.

Apologies for the dumb question, but my landlord is being a bit of a douche about really insignificant poo poo. Three more months and I'm out of this poo poo poo poo-hole. :unsmith:

He could always decide not to renew your lease, I guess. Other than that, I'm not sure there's much he can do other than bitch at you about the blinds when he sees you.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

oh snap posted:

I know you're trying to be snarky, but everything you said is true. Every "real, trained attorney" I've spoken with has said that winning custody is near impossible for a man. In NY, 90% of divorces are settled out of court and of those that go to court the mother is awarded custody 80% of the time. If the odds of this going to court and my winning custody are ~2% I don't think it's worth it. Especially since there's an offer on the table that's very much in my favor.

To go with your "black person accused of a crime" stupid analogy, I am guilty of being the childen's father, no denying that. If there's an offer on the table for dramatically reduced child support and increased parental time I think I should take it.

You keep saying you're not going to get custody, but then you also keep saying you're going to get shared custody. Joint custody = you get custody. Maybe not 50/50 or even close to it---which is odd since you mentioned much earlier in the thread you have been taking caring of them an equal amount---but you are still getting custody.

You also mentioned upthread that you had just done a "paint-by-the-numbers" discussion with the attorneys you did initial consultations with. That is helpful for a general overview of the divorce process, but not for your specific case. I don't know and don't want to know all the nitty-gritty personal details in this matter, but do bear in mind that a family law attorney who did might have given you a different picture about getting more time with the kids. Though if all of them were saying almost never get custody, they're loving morons. Most fathers get partial physical and legal custody. Almost every father who actually fights for it, in fact, will get substantial custody awarded (by fight I mean doesn't assume horror stories about men getting shafted and women having all the rights in divorce court are Gospel truth).

Plus the attorney would probably have had an easier time getting that bullshit "Oh there's no conflict of interest just because I worked as the other side's attorney on another matter involving intimate knowledge of our household finances" dealt with.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Waltzing Along posted:

I have a friend in CA that wants to file for divorce.

Her situation:

Resident Alien. Married a guy but it didn't work out. She is not yet a citizen. She wants to put through the divorce in part because she wants to open a business without him being liable at all.

I've seen websites that have do it yourself kits. I am wondering if this will work for her or if there is anything special she needs to know.

Thanks for any information.

DIY divorce kits are a bad idea in general, but this definitely is not the answer for your friend. Her resident alien status might make this a lot more complicated. She should consider consulting both a family law attorney *and* an immigration law attorney.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Oisin posted:

I want to construct a commercial recipe database (in Canada). The following are my questions:

i. Is it legal to use the recipes of others without acknowledgement? I would be using the ingredients and directions (and not any background story, introduction, etc.)

ii. Assuming (i), is it legal to scrape recipe information from existing websites and use it without acknowledgement?

Edit: Never mind, totally missed you were in Canada.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

nm posted:

The fact that we have a attoney's union is pretty sweet) contract specifies when I get paid by.

Do you mean an actual union of and for attorneys? I am filled with wonder and even a dash of hope if so.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

nm posted:

Yes. We're government employees though.

That is not as surprising, then (or hope-inducing, but ah well, I'm starting my own practice next year anyway).

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Yes

May I ask what you base your unqualified yes on?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

17 U.S.C. §§ 102, 105.

Great, but what do you do with Veeck then? Sure, it's a Fifth Circuit decision and not binding elsewhere, but it's not as if the judges reached their decision in a vacuum.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

bobula posted:

Does anyone have any advice on making a claim to the SSA or suing in order to obtain a social security number?

Backstory:
I was born at home and my parents never applied for a birth certificate or an SSN for me. I wanted to travel internationally when I was 18, which I needed a passport for, so I went to court in order to obtain my birth certificate. I tried twice when I was 18 to get a social security number as well, but since I didn't even have a passport at that point there was no way I could get one. I went to OR (I live in CA) a couple of years later and got a driver license, since they didn't require an SSN at the time, and have just been living with that working under the table to get along.

Now, though, I want to move out of my parents' house, get a legit job, and a CA driver license. However, when I go to the SSA and present my passport, birth certificate and driver license, they reject me immediately. Not enough proof, they said. So I searched and searched and got records from the home school program I was enrolled in from 1993-2003, I got a copy of the court case my family was involved in in 1989 that names myself and my siblings, and that's all I could find. There are no immunization, baptismal, doctor's, whatever records. Nothing.

When I took what I had to SSA, they told me this time that I needed some paperwork from every year I've been alive. Seriously? I asked for a copy of the law that said that, the lady left for twenty minutes, then came back with a paper she said she couldn't show me since it was private SSA policy but could read bits, which were "do not approve application if applicant refuses to or cannot provide adequate proof". Which is hardly "needs paperwork from every drat year of existence". It seems like whether the proof is good enough is entirely at their discretion, since on paper I DO meet the requirements. The SSN application says I need proof of age and identity, which I provided.

SO. I know my parents dropped the ball on this, and screwed me over. Got that. How do I fix it? The only possible solution I see is making some kind of claim or sue the federal government in order to obtain one, but I might be completely wrong and I also don't know where to start. And I'm poor so a lawyer is not something I can afford. I'm going to check out some free LA county legal help around here, but since mine is such an unusual case I'd like all of the input and advice I can get.

The SSA website doesn't make it sound as intensive as your local office is trying to make it:
http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

bobula posted:

I know!! They have really basic requirements listed there. As soon as I show the clerk at the office what I have though, they put on a rejection face and say it's not enough, they need this and that. I have everything the application says I need. I've been to four different local offices in the LA area and have received variations on the same theme.

I second Ashcans's advice: see if your Representative can help cut through this red tape.

Here's a list of all the US Representatives for (the city of) Los Angeles:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_elected_officials_in_Los_Angeles#U.S._House_of_Representatives

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

visuvius posted:

Hahaha yes clearly I will not be flipping out in my correspondence with the California State Bar. I figured I could let out a little steam in the SA legal thread.

Just in case you needed it, this is the California State Bar's attorney complaint page:
http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Attorneys/LawyerRegulation/FilingaComplaint.aspx

visuvius posted:

My main concern was posting a google or yelp review and getting a libel lawsuit 6 months down the line. As long as what I say is truthful, I'm guessing I'll be okay.

In California, an attorney must agree to fee arbitration if a client or former client asks. Contact your county's Bar Association for details (they might also offer mediation). This should not be very expensive, but you can check on this list to see how much it costs in your area. I imagine the cost is split equally between the attorney and client, but don't quote me on that; also, you might be able to get a fee waiver.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

dvgrhl posted:

Can anyone tell me how to sufficiently serve someone for small claims court if you don't know their home or work address? This is for Washington state. This person is no longer employed at the place where she was last known to work, and she didn't leave a forwarding address at her last residence. The court clerk wasn't really willing to give a lot of info on this.

She may not have left a forwarding address with her former landlord, but that doesn't mean she didn't update her address with the Post Office. If so, you can find that address out by simply writing this on the notice of service you mail her: “Address Correction Requested---Do Not Forward.” The Post Office should return the letter to you with her current forwarding address on it.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Trillian posted:

The fact that you said "that guy" means you missed out on the funniest part of that post, which is that the complainant was until recently a literal crack whore.

Going from "take it in the rear end for a hit" to "raaagh you incidentally caught me on camera walking into Starbucks" is pretty impressive really.

How the gently caress is that relevant to anything? She asked a slightly silly question (though still valid for the thread), so you dump on her for sharing (in a different thread from last year, no less) a very difficult part of her life that she's since turned around?

Of the two of you, she's not the one being an rear end in this thread.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Cup of Hemlock posted:

California goon here. Noticed that my employer still has the federal and state employment and labor laws (including minimum wage requirements, etc.) from 2009 posted in the breakroom. It can't be that hard to order replacements, right? Are they mandated to update this every year? One consequence I can think of is underpaying those working for minimum wage or just above it because the employee doesn't bother to notice the year of printing. Probably other consequences as well.

This is from the California Department of Industrial Relations workplace postings FAQ:

quote:

Do I have to replace postings every year? How will I know when I need to replace them?

You only need to replace a posting when its content changes. Once established, the language of almost every required posting stays the same. The exception is the IWC wage orders, which are updated annually with an adjustment to the hourly wage required for computer professionals to be exempt*.

The IWC orders posted on the Internet are indexed by date, so a periodic check of the list will let you know if you have the most current version.

Additionally, the Department of Industrial Relations will announce posting updates on its home and what's new page when they occur.

*According to California Labor Code section 515.5(a)(3), the Division of Labor Statistics and Research is required to adjust the hourly base rate of pay for computer software employees as set forth in section 2, “Applicability of Order”, of the Industrial Welfare Commission wage orders. This base rate of pay is only one factor used by employers to determine whether computer software employees are exempt from the provisions of the order. Employers with exempt computer software employees must post the annual wage update.

Though that's just California law. I believe federal law does require a yearly update.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Tipped employees still have to be paid minimum wage. If the tips added to the base waitstaff wage doesn't add up to at least that, then the employer is required by federal law to make up the difference.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Yes this is exactly the case. OSHA is saying they have a recording of him saying 'I fired you because of the complaint' which he says isnt true. Who handles OSHAs legal proceedings? Do they have a legal team who takes you to court or do they just fine you and you have the option of going to court to appeal?

Edit: OSHA never came to investigate but the DoH did. This was sometime during those two weeks. SWIM during those two weeks fired her on the day when she brought in the Department of Health out of anger. She was baiting him and he took the bait. So basically she was already told she was fired, reported him in OSHA, they never came, reported him to DoH, who did come, and was then terminated.
Disclaimer ahoy: I'm not your lawyer or your employer's, this isn't legal advice or meant as an offer of representation, and I am definitely not a lawyer in your jurisdiction. Okay, moving on.

Did the Department of Health come because of the OSHA complaint or did she file a separate complaint? And does the Florida DOH have any statute prohibiting retaliation against an employee who files a claim?

I will point out that you just admitted he fired her because she filed the claim, by the way. Sure, he may have given her two weeks' notice of her termination date, but he didn't *actually* terminate her at that point. He did terminate her the day the DOH showed up, which would look bad enough, but you went so far as to say he did it "out of anger," i.e., out of a desire to retaliate against her making the claim. Whether that's a legally problematic act of retaliation would depend on which agency she filed with, and if it's the Florida DOH, whether the protection Florida offers those who file claims with the DOH.

Mind you, those sorts of statutes also usually have language about the claim being made in good faith, which you allege was not the case in this situation. So that might help your employer if his lawyer can present credible evidence of bad faith.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

Kneel Before Zog posted:

Separate complaint.
I wish I knew the answer, I know OSHA obviously does but the DOH may or may not.

Osha never came to investigate the office for her OSHA complaint. Now they show up because of the alleged firing of the OSHA complaint. And there was no problems with the DOH investigation, they didn't find or do anything either.

Generally speaking, that doesn't matter when it comes to retaliation. What's relevant is that an employee filed a complaint, the employer found out that the employee filed the complaint, and the employer disciplined or terminated the employee because of the complaint.

Really, though, your employer should talk with a defense-side employment law attorney.

Hyperbolic posted:

I'm kind of hoping that the case will get dismissed like in so many of the others turning up in my searches, but I'm at a loss of how to achieve this. Can anyone set my mind at ease?

edit: I don't even know if I can request the court documents they filed without revealing John Doe information, this sucks.

Besides the EFF site, you might also want to check out this one: http://fightcopyrighttrolls.com/

I'll second the advice to consult a lawyer. There is such a thing as an anonymous Motion to Quash, but that's something you really want to talk to a lawyer about.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Did her accountant give any reason why she couldn't just file a 1040X?

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

spregalia posted:

Stupid question. My waiter and waitress friends always complain about patrons who leave without paying and how it comes out of their wages. Is this even legal or is it a bar/restaurant owner abusing his staff?

Most the complaints I see are NJ/PA in case if that makes a difference.

This is illegal (albeit widespread practice) in most states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Not your lawyer, not a lawyer in your jurisdiction, this is not legal advice or an offer of representation.

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Couple of employment-related questions.

1. Is it illegal for an employer to lie to the Department of Labor regarding the circumstances of an employee's termination in an attempt to prevent that employee from receiving unemployment? Specifically they said that two people were unable to perform their jobs, which was completely false. That is, of course, difficult to prove.

Not being able to do your job well isn't usually a legal grounds to deny unemployment in the first place: the refusal to do the job in the first place, or willfully doing a bad or lazy job is what generally results in a claim denial.

This is what the Georgia DOL website has to say:

Can I draw benefits if I was fired? posted:

If you were fired from your job, you will not be able to draw benefits if your former employer can show that you were fired for failure to follow rules, orders, or instructions, or for misconduct on the job. The only way to know for sure whether you are eligible if you are fired is to file a claim. The department cannot make a predetermination of eligibility before a claim is filed.

Powdered Toast Man posted:

2. I realize this may not be covered in labor law at all, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I have solid evidence that people in my company are directly retaliated against (and in two cases, eventually terminated, see above) for reporting legitimate concerns about harassment and other matters to the HR department. I already know it's against the company's own written policies that everyone agrees to; I just wondered if that was also illegal. Probably not since I'm in an at-will state which has a "gently caress you" attitude towards workers (Georgia).

Federal law prohibits retaliation against an employee for reporting illegal employer harassment. The employees should contact their local EEOC branch to let them know what's up.