Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

For Cleveland, Ohio:

My old landlord has rented out the apartment that I'm still the sole member of the lease until Feb. I left it on the 11th. He has not provided me the security deposit back, informed me that he rented out the unit or offered a pro-rated rent. The unit already has people living in it. What type of recourse do I have? I verbally stated on the 11th that the unit would not be available until February.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

932 dollars

/e- I have not paid any of January's rent and at the moment have canceled the pending bill payment that was scheduled to go out in 4 days as that was for the full amount. IMO he was hoping I would not check the place and wanted to doublerent the property. He also took my keys on the 11th.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jan 22, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You voluntarily surrendered possession early and didn't pay rent for the month. Why do you think you're owed money again?

According to the lease and as is I pay at end of month. I'm looking to not pay him more than he can get.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

^^^
Does it matter I have copies of the keys and am 99% sure he did not change the locks?

Last I spoke to him regarding the place he wanted full rent and just said "I will send you a letter." He had no problem calling me at work asking if I did heroin or other IV drugs after I left the place :wtc:.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 22, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

Edit is how I read it.
I gave him notice in December that I was not going to renew the lease. I moved out on the 11th, but he did not know I was actually leaving on the 11th until the 8th.

I emailed him stating that I saw the apartment was rented out. He replied with just "You will be receiving a statement within 30 days of vacancy."

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 22, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

So the landlord stated in his letter that the place was not rented out until the First of February. I know he's full of poo poo and the new tenants had entered a change of address before the 21st as I saw it when I went to get my mail.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There were new dog tracks and a light was on/new curtains. I did not knock though.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That's why colorblind people shouldn't develop scanners...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

jassi007 posted:

IANAL but as I understand, IT type positions are almost always overtime exempt. Given that fact, whether the employer tells you to do it outside of 9-5 may not matter, they aren't denying it is involuntary and they can state "sure it counts as working hours, but you don't get paid additionally for hours over 40." If you're salaried and OT exempt then telling you to get it done outside of your 9-5 isn't likely violating anything. As far as termination, you can be fired for something like that. The U.S. laws are generally that unless you are a protected class (fired for sex, sexual preference, race, religion, age, medical condition and some others) then you can be fired for any reason, or no reason at all. If your aren't salaried or non-exempt, then your employer might have an issue, but it still won't prevent them from firing you. It just means that you'd likely have a case in civil court, and they could face govt. regulatory/disciplinary fines etc.
This is not true outside of dev/management

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

i'm currently in an administrative role and non-exempt. Support/Janators/NOC jobs would also fall under that umbrella. My previous company was sued and lost because they tried to label the support staff as non-exempt.

An analyst as was quoted generally works with developers, vendors, occasionally users and management in the process of upgrading or designing systems and is not user facing so they're exempt.

Malek posted:

And I'm hourly with a scheduled set shift with the overtime rule for "being with a customer that started from within the shift."
Not reimbursing this is literally what my first company got sued for. Their practice of tracking call times/break times and having a pretty harsh late policy also helped them loose. This next part may be completely wrong but generally if IT work is creative (and being good at support isn't creative, no matter what smoke is blown) then it can qualify as exempt.

/e- For some reason I though this was the corporate thread...

IANAL for disclosure

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 20, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Start putting dog poo poo in his mailbox

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Baseball players have been gone after for killing birds.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Looks like this will be quite the derail.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I believe you mean birdman

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

So you'd need to put up (or likely swap) a non 'murca flag under a landlord who bans flags then sue the county for damages under 1a and likely appeals?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What bugs me about the whole situation is that phone/texts make it super easy to block calls and texts. I think it'd be different if they were cohabitating or he otherwise could not have severed contact with a single push of a button.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Who was his provider and what phone did he have?

I suppose if he had a blackberry there could be issues.

Text blocking is built into all other OSes

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

There could be a redhead present.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Vargatron posted:

Please stop posting pizza pictures or I will file suit for mental anguish based on my current dietary restrictions.
You'll get a huge slice of the pie.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If the ghost is a pepper...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

owning is a pickle but your customer could at least get the corpse to throw in the room.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

hit the tree with lightning

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Lol joke’s on you, you sued the flesh and blood freePod on the land and not the JURIDICAL CORPORATION so you had no legal joinder under the laws of admiralty anyway

sid meier's pirates missed out when this wasn't a mini game

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

A debt collector is going after me for ~100 dollars.

I requested validation and they have the account number, Dr's Name, $billed and $paid amount all incorrect. Should I just wait for them to sue me or how can I get money from them?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Vargatron posted:

Can you legally burn a trailer you own or will that be some kind of DHEC violation? A family friend has a trailer with an essentially ruined interior and he doesn't want to both getting it cleaned out. Like the cost of cleaning would be more than the trailer was worth.

take out a huge insurance policy first

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I've had them for MSPs that provide training.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

any lawyers on 5ver?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Quite a few of the IT tools that are commonly used were at one point written in house by drones to get their work done. Firms don't want to loose that cash or advantage anymore.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Honestly the whole existence of "The Goon Doctor" as a forum seems like a problematic concept for anyone giving advice there; definitionally you can't do an in person assessment. But, then again, for similar reasons, the concept of giving legal advice online has its own similar issues, unless that advice is "talk to a lawyer in your area who works in the relevant field."

this is just your anxiety

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

IANAB but I imagine that he's suing in cali first since regardless of that outcome he'll see the defense for the UK

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

concrete is dens enough that you just float on top of it

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

i think it'd be easier to kill someone with jello than concrete

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

euphronius posted:

and 30% of the marital property (leaving her with 20% for a 50-50 split, still plenty to live on).

:confused:
50-50
50-(50-30)
80-20 split.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

snack eater posted:

I mean yeah I'm sure babies suffocating happens but is there like one famous landmark lawsuit every lawyer knows as "the plastic bag case" or is it just a more general thing

there's a microwaved cat

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Does the black man have a bartending license?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Breaking distances are not standardized so you'll need to calculate that plus estimated break wear based on both model year and how clean the car is.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

anal but you can see if such service exists in a consulate office

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

evilweasel posted:

not aware of consulate offices that provide that sort of service. sounds pretty illegal.

notarizing or doing remote?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

butt the cia is in there as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

it makes no sense. meth is expensive, a house of meth should be $$$$$