Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Does anyone know about immigration issues?

I'm trying to find out whether I'm a Canadian citizen and am waiting for a response from the embassy but its taking a while. My mother is a Canadian citizen residing in the US and my father is an American. I supposedly had citizenship with Canada through my mother until I was 18 but now I'm not really sure where I stand. The immigration website implies that I may already be a citizen but I have no paperwork or anything else to prove it. Anyone have any idea whether I'd need to apply for citizenship status or just apply for proof of citizenship?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH

nm posted:

When were you born? Was your mother born in Canada?
If were born after 1976, you're almost certainly Canadian if your mother was a Canadian citizen born in Canada (and not born to a diplomat of a foriegn country)
This will help: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules-citizenship.asp
(I'm a canadian citizen this way too. Hope your mom wasn't born in quebec though, getting the birth certificate is a pain in the rear end and ay copy older than 1996 isn't valid)
Yes she was born in Canada still maintains her citizenship there. I was born in 88 so I see no reason why I wouldn't be considered a citizen. Guess I'll just apply for the proof of citizenship and get the paperwork that way.