Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

HookShot posted:

When there's no other traffic it's not as bad.

I occasionally do 135 on the stretch of BC 95 that's a 90 zone, simply because there's never anyone there, you can see for hundreds of meters on either side of the road (so no chance of a deer or anything running out without me seeing it), there are no turns so you can see any cops coming up and actually doing the speed limit just feels so god damned slow.

I don't do it all the time, but sometimes doing speeds that are ridiculously over the speed limit is perfectly safe.

Another good example is Lion's Bay on the Sea to Sky - surrounded by 90 zones on either side of it, but because the rich assholes that live there decided people drive too fast on the highway near their mansions (that you can't get to without driving for at least 3 minutes off the exits anyway) they dropped the limit there down to 60. Except because it should be a 90 zone, everyone's doing 110 anyway and just hoping there's no cops there (there never are, I've literally never seen one in that 60 zone area).

That seem reasonable to me. If the road is wide enough and you can see any potential danger from far enough, go for it. I do about that on some roads when there is no one to hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

This is incorrect.

Not legal, but it can still be safe. I never meant you -should- do it, just that it isn't always inherently dangerous. I know I shouldn't speed, but still do as long as I don't think I'm endangering others and don't think I'll get caught. I'm not some psycho; I don't go more than 5 or so over the limit when there are pedestrians and never just punch it when someone might pull out without me noticing. I may be a scofflaw, but I'm not reckless.

Edited to better reflect my though on the matter.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 22, 2015

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Say I'm driving down the road and the guy in front of me comes to a dead stop. I had enough room to stop too, but the guy behind me didn't or wasn't paying attention and I get rear ended. Is the guy in front of me culpable at all? I saw a dashcam video where this happened and am curious.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I guess this would be the place for my question?

I'm planning on taking a roadtrip from Florida to California and will be taking my pistol. I've looked up the laws on where and how to carry it, and everything will be kosher, but have one concern. In several of the states I'll be passing through I am required to let the Police know I have a weapon during a traffic stop, and in some I don't. I've read some articles saying you should always let them know so they don't get surprised by it if they catch sight and end up shooting you or something, and some saying that it just adds more stress and it can give them a reason to have me sit on the side of the road for a couple hours while they go through my poo poo. Are yall of the opinion I should just get it out in the open and risk the cop being in a bad mood?

Since I can't carry my gun in CA I intend to just leave it in a locked container in the back of my wagon. I also know about the high capacity magazine ban and have a pair of 10-rounders.

Also, I am a young white dude and I don't think I give off the drug dealer/torture-slayer vibe.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Alright, thanks for the replies.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

He's just saying don't surprise cops. If is accessible during the stop, inform immediately. If it's not, accessible I'd use judgment on when to inform - certainly if you're getting out of the car.

I'd be slightly wary that I've somehow violated the Byzantine laws of a particular state because my lock box has two hinges instead of three or something. I wouldn't necessarily volunteer information if the stop is going normally and I'm just getting a ticket and leaving.

Actually ran into a cop at 7-11 and asked him what he would suggest. Gave me damned good advice: keep my insurance and registration in my visor and my pistol in my glove box. If I am required by law to inform, tell the officer and if not, don't bring it up. If something happens where the cop has a reason/ the right to get me to open the box, inform him and ask what I should do before he finds it on his own. When I hit CA I'll need to have it locked up in a lockbox I'm bringing for that purpose, but other than that I'm free and clear the entire trip.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Hypothetical time. Say I'm following a semi that enters an intersection on a yellow, but by the time I hit it the light is red. If I couldn't see the light at all because of the truck, and I could prove it, would that potentially be grounds to have a ticket dismissed?

Since I'm pondering traffic stuff, if a right turner hits someone making a legal u-turn, who would most likely be found at fault? I would assume the right turner because u-turn guy is already on the main road. Would it make a difference if u-turn was turning from a middle turn lane without a light?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Bad Munki posted:

So your defense is that you were following the semi too closely to be able to safely observe traffic signals?

Nah, if this had actually happened I would have been bitching on These Are The People You Share The Road With. I've never actually gotten a ticket before, though God knows I've deserved a couple in the past.

Also, just thought of another question: if you get in a minor fender bender and the other guy threatens to call the cops, would you have any reason to let him know you have a dashcam other than scaring them into loving off and leaving you alone?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Nakar posted:

That usually worked but a couple times I had flawless video of a person very obviously never ceasing movement for even a split-second at a stop sign and they still insisted they'd fight it. The judge would come back after the docket was done for the day and ask first whether they saw the video ahead of time (always), and then why the hell they thought they had a chance.

That is one thing my dashcam showed me: I would slow down to a crawl at a sign, but didn't actually stop most of the time. As in, the car would rock backwards, and I would go when it was my turn. I actually do that now but after driving like that for so long it feels weird. Still, better than getting a ticket.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 18, 2016

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
So, a Federal Judge ruled that holding a defendant in jail because they cannot post bail is unconstitutional. A guy in Georgia was arrested and couldn't pay his bail. He sued because he couldn't take meds and won. Now, from what I gather, this is only for misdemeanor charges, and they are gonna have to cough up if they skip town. Courts must consider a person's indigence and look for other ways of guaranteeing they will appear. I can certainly see why this would be a boon for anyone who doesn't have a couple hundred to thousand dollars sitting around and needs to be working, but is there anything more to this I can't see because I've never taken a law course?

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 30, 2016

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Okay, non-hypothetical for once. My brother is getting sued for rear-ending someone at a low speed, got a police report and all that. Months later he randomly sees in the paper that he is getting sued in civil court and when we look into it, we see that 9 days ago the guy suing him sent out a request for Interrogatories 9 days ago. He hasn't gotten anything in the mail and it looks like he has 20 days to respond to them. He is now looking for a lawyer, but I just wanted to know if having about half the time elapse before he even finds out about it might be some kind of red flag. This is in Florida.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

joat mon posted:

Red flag. There's a whole lot more story here.

I just found out about this 3 hours ago. He never mentioned it to me, but just brought up that he is getting sued at dinner. Looks like he payed about $1k to fix the dude's truck to keep it off his insurance. Is there anything I should be pointedly asking him or looking for in general?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

EwokEntourage posted:

You should see if his insurance will defend him. They might not, depending on duty to report and what not, but it might be worth a shot

How did you find out about the discovery

Looked his name up on the County Clerk's website as soon as he told me. I'll prod him till he at least checks with his insurance about the whole mess, thanks.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Okay, the situation seems to be sort of resolved. The guy apparently is fighting with his own insurance and this poo poo he's been doing is just an attempt to put pressure on/gently caress with my brother, according to his lawyer. It seemed hinkey because it was; my brother really was never served anything. Dude's blowing smoke, for now.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I know that you are responsible if your dog bites someone, but I decided to look it up (for Florida), and have a question. When talking about liability for dog bites, it has this, which I don't get;

However, the owner is not liable, except as to a person under the age of 6, or unless the damages are proximately caused by a negligent act or omission of the owner, if at the time of any such injury the owner had displayed in a prominent place on his or her premises a sign easily readable including the words “Bad Dog.”

So, even if my dog is locked up, and I have a 'Guard Dog' sign, if a kid under 6 breaks into my home it's potentially tough poo poo for me if he gets bitten?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
After looking at weapon laws for Rhode Island (where I'll be helping my cousin fix his home up), what exactly does concealed mean? I usually carry a pocket knife, and the wording of their laws on them is sort of confusing.

(3) No person shall wear or carry concealed upon his person, any of the above-mentioned instruments or weapons, or any razor, or knife of any description having a blade of more than three (3) inches in length measuring from the end of the handle where the blade is attached to the end of the blade, or other weapon of like kind or description.

If I just keep it clipped in my pocket, is that concealment?

I don't actually plan on bringing it with me to avoid potentially getting hosed over, but it left me curious.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

nm posted:

Your pocket knife has a blade longer than 3in?

3.25. That's from fold to tip of the blade, but all of it isn't sharp.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Fun fact: when I was in middle school I found a machete in a dump. I grabbed it to go hack up bushes at my friend's house, but it didn't fit in my backpack. Before I made it more than a block 7 patrol cars showed (not all at once, it must have been a slow day) up and I got the whole 'Get on the ground and don't move' treatment with several guns pointed at me. After about half an hour they decided I wasn't going to murder someone and let me leave, I even got to keep it!

Gave me a healthy fear of the police.

e: Not that I blame them for being alarmed by a kid with a machete in that area.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 11, 2017

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Couldn't you just donate your body to science?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Witnessed a guy getting rear-ended last night, and the other guy booked it. I have it on my dashcam and reported it to the Sheriff and HWP, but it doesn't look like it got reported. Since Florida has a presumption that the rear-ender is at fault and the dude fled I guess the victim's insurance wont make a fuss about it, but is there anything else I could/should do?

e: Should being the main thing. Also, once the rear-ender took off the rear-endee just sort of left immediately too, wasn't a chase or anything.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 1, 2017

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I'm on a Board of Trustees and I get 3k per year. I don't even think my opinions are worth that.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Okay, so I'm a dingus and neglected to pay my water bill. I have the money, it just got buried under papers and I forgot it. When the utility guy showed up to turn it off I remembered and payed up online, but the official stance is even though I payed before he even left they won't turn it back on until tomorrow.

I'm not going to just turn it back on myself because it's only slightly inconvenient, but it made me wonder. Since I'm payed up and the county just won't turn it back on for a business day, how badly would I be breaking the law if I just did?

I read FL statute 812.14, and all I could find that I understand to directly deal with my question is:

(f) Cause a utility, without its consent, to supply any service or electricity, gas, or water to any person, firm, or corporation or any lamp, burner, orifice, faucet, or other outlet without reporting the service for payment

Also, holy poo poo I haven't seen so many fire ants in years, guess they love my meter.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I haven't, it was half buried and full of dirt, so when the guy pulled it open they were swarming everywhere. Also, that's what I'm curious about. How bad is it if someone just decides to take it into their own hands?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Mr. Nice! posted:

The guy that's going around doing disconnects has a long list of disconnects to take care of that day. These are due to non-payment, people moving, businesses closing, construction, emergencies, etc. That same person isn't necessarily the guy that turns the utilities back on. That other person also has a long list of places to go to today to turn poo poo back on.

In Tallahassee, for example, when you're over a month late they include a disconnect notice with your bill. This notice has the date that the guy is coming to shut off your poo poo. They call two days before to let you know. If you do not have it paid before he shuts it off, it's off until the order comes down (maybe to a different person, maybe to the same, it all depends on the workload) to turn it back on. So if your power/water goes off at 10am, it might not be until 4pm same day that it comes back on even if you paid at 10:01am.

As far as turning water/gas/electric back on after a utility has shut them off goes, if you're still delinquent they will disconnect again and charge you additional fees for breaking whatever locks/seals they put on the meters. In some cases, repeat offenders will have meters straight up removed from property until payment is rendered in full. If you're paid up and break the seal/lock to turn it back on yourself, you're going to be open to fines from the utility and possible criminal action for damaging utility property.

Thanks, that was what I was wondering about. Also, drat, getting the meter removed altogether. Guess they don't really have any other simple options though.

There was so much dirt and sand I didn't even see a lock, just saw he had a bigass wrench and this thing that looked like a tire iron.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I would loving love if criminal fines in the USA were set on a sliding scale with regards to income/assets.

That would be nice. There was some developer near me who promised a dock for his development, even they had to illegally remove mangroves to do it. It was something like a $1000 fine if they just got rid of them, on a $25+ mil project. Those trees were gone before you could blink. Every time I go by that gated dock I want to bad to just put about 20 locks on it.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Is it realistically possible to unfuck the American Legal system (assuming both Parties would cooperate) without burning it all to the ground and starting over? I was under the impression that the reason you need big bucks to get poo poo done is because it's labyrinthine.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I meant the criminal system.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Just how many times/how badly do you have to gently caress up before your driver's licence is just revoked? The drunk who rear-ended me at a red a while back is coming up for his court date, and I noticed this is his 4th+ DUI and 3rd+ time driving on a suspended licence. Not that being banned from driving ever seemed to stop him, but does he have to kill a couple people or what?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
What's the deal with sanctuary cities? From what I've read, the idea is the state police aren't required to do legwork for the Feds, is that correct? Is there more to it?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Here's one. Just moved into a neighborhood with an HOA, have stuff like you can't park your mobile home in your driveway, no overnight parking for more than a few days in the event of guests, crap like that. Thing is, they don't seem to enforce the rules, at all. At least 2/3 of th people have a 3rd or 4th car on th street every night, a dude has his mobile home (bus-sized fucker) parked next to his house, ect. I don't plan on getting in a pissing match with a bunch of bored old people, but if I ever do, can I just point to all that stuff and tell them to pound sand? What happens when they just don't enforce the rules for a long period of time?*

*Hypothetically

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Aug 24, 2018

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Alright, thanks for the answers. I haven't been contacted by them and I do take care of my place, so I don't foresee any issues, was just curious. The place my brother moved into they had a little package with "Here are the rules, we will eat you alive if you don't follow them". They gave me a "If you want to use the pool, get in touch and you'll have to pay a little extra. Welcome to the area, we guess." It was oddly low key.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Speaking of neighborhood stuff... I enjoy stargazing and my recent favorite spot got bought out and developed. I found a remote plat in my current neighborhood without a house on it that would be as close to ideal as I can hope for in my area. How do I find out who owns it to ask for permission to set up on it every once in a while?

Is it even something to worry about unless someone gets pissed and tells me to leave?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Had a sort of funny story, now I have a legal question!

So one of my Dad's wierd-rear end Californian hippie friends was in town so I ended up getting lunch with the guy and my younger brother. He offers me some gummies I chose not to accept, but my brother, apparently, did. My brother is a straight laced, awkward, lovable dork and he had no clue he just ate two weed gummies when I was getting us a table and for the first time in his life was high as poo poo in a BBQ place. Thankfully nothing ended up happening other than me getting really pissed at the guy, but I honestly believe he didn't realize my brother was clueless.

Hypothetically, assuming my brother didn't end up trying to drive or something, what could happen to him if the police got him walking down the sidewalk being high, not endangering himself or being a nuisance. If they believe the story, is just being high through no fault of your own in public a crime? From what I read it looks like possession, trafficking, paraphernalia and all that wouldn't seem to fit. Is this just me not understanding something basic?

Hypothetically in Florida.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 4, 2019

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Let's say (hypothetically) I agree to pick up a friend and their significant other from the the airport in Florida. If I had a dashcam, and the SO told me that they didn't consent to being recorded, and I told them that they could choose between that or walking, what mischief could they potentially make if they had more money than God and a vindictive streak a mile wide?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
What can I say? I'm curious, if you take the ride would you be able to make a fuss later? Would the fact you took the ride mean you have up your expectation of privacy or whatever? How would that work?

e: I mean if you actually we're rich why would you even need to ask for a ride? Something very close did happen and it made me wonder what a rich rear end in a top hat could do with the law.

ee: Is there another thread to ask this stuff if it isn't valid? I figured I would get a better answer here then Reddit or something.

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 22, 2020

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

pentyne posted:

So to be clear, you agreed to pick up a friend, showed up, their SO was there, threw a fit about you having a dashcam, got in the car with the friend anyways, and is now threatening to sue you or something?

I feel like 99% of the problem could've been dealt with by talking to the friend at the time.

As I said, it was hypothetical. They didn't want to shell out for a taxi so they just delt with it and we had an otherwise pleasant ride. I'm just curious about what they could have done legally if they decided to be an rear end about it and had the dough to pursue it beyond what seems reasonable.

Florida is a two parry consent state, so how would that work? If you don't want to be recorded but still get in a car you know is recording would you legally be agreeing to be recorded? That's what I'm curious about.

e: Now that I think about it, I've had Uber drivers with dashcams that recorded the interior of the car. Does that mean that they are all in the hook for wiretapping? See why I think it's a question worth considering?

sleepy.eyes fucked around with this message at 04:29 on May 22, 2020

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

spacetoaster posted:

What damages could they claim?

And there's a whole list of exceptions for recording people too.

I don't know, that why I asked. Do you know where I could look up those exceptions for my edification?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.

joat mon posted:

They could threaten to call your job and get you fired. They could ask Department of Transportation Special Agents to investigate you. If upon arriving or departing your car moved toward them in any way they could say you tried to run over them and their children. If you expressed a negative emotion toward another driver who was being an rear end in a top hat they could say you were a violent person and harassing them.

What could the DoT do about a random guy who picked up a friend as a favor?

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
They definitely know where I live, guess I'd better brace myself for terrible self published fetish novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
So, in my county the school board is a corrupt joke and after paying out the nose for a computer system that never worked correctly it turns out the person who selected that company has personal ties and they pretty much immediately retire.

So here's the question: when people gently caress up real bad in a way that can't be ignored, they always seems to retire or take leave. Does this serve as some part of a legal defense or is it 'Id better lay low because everyone hates me right now'?