Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?
Hello, all.

I have a thread running in the BFC subsection about a situation I am in. You can find it here: Unpaid invoices! Freelance FTW and breaking working relationships

The rundown:

I recently (Wed June 05) terminated an "internship" with a former client of mine. This client is now a former client because when I quit our "internship," he was upset and decided he wished to no longer make use of the services which I provided and was getting paid for (a photo assistant).

When I terminated the "internship," I received a check from him for an invoice which was due on June 06. I then returned a piece of equipment I was borrowing from him on June 07, when he gave me a check for the expenses I paid for his business out of my own pocket (camera cleaning, rental equipment, lunch, etc.).

On Monday, June 10, he requested a refund from the bank for the checks had written me, which I had deposited on June 07, and which had cleared over the weekend. I now have bank fees for a returned check as well as overdraft fees for this transaction. I intend to charge him for those fees, as well. There are also 4 additional invoices I have with him that are due July 01.

I asked him about this transaction, and if he knew anything about it, to which he responded that he would like to talk at a later date, stating that yesterday June 11 or this morning June 12, would be best so he "could get all his info together."

I find that phrase to be suspicious.

I put the term "internship" in quotations, because, per some responses in my thread, the nature and validity of that internship is in question.

During the internship he was training me on how to edit/retouch wedding photos and I was doing work on projects which still needed to be delivered to his clients. Obviously, given the way things typically work these days, "internship" also means "unpaid." When I quit the "internship," he was upset, because he said that I was bound, by some part agreement we had, to carry out the internship to its full extent. I understood the nature of the internship to be probationary, i.e.,that should I not be performing to his standards, that he could terminate the process. But if it works that way, then it works the other and he cannot indenture me to an indefinite amount of time and effort to do his work for him for free. None of this was written down, which is why there was a conflict upon my termination of the internship.

One of the reasons I quit the "internship" was because the extent of the "internship" was unclear to me -- what the timeline was or how many projects I would complete for him. Another reason I quit the internship was because I was doing his job for him without pay. And lastly, I quit the internship because, frankly, I am not very interested in weddings, wedding photography, and the fact that working with him in this structure was tedious and time-consuming (to the point where I would take time off or work shorter shifts at my regular place of employment). Also, I was not receiving any college credit for this internship since I have been out of school for a number of years.

I feel like he has asked for a refund for the checks from the bank on the basis of him retaliating against me for quitting the internship and wants to get something out of me, which I have yet to discover.

A more complete story of my situation is in that thread, and if anyone has any insight into this or further questions of the matter, please let me know in that thread.

-----------

A few more notes:

I am on my way out the door to my job right now, and will be calling the Department of Labor for clarification on the nature of internships when I get back home this afternoon.

I have contacted a couple friends of mine to poll them for their basic interpretation of the situation (one is in Seattle, one is in Los Angeles) and they both believe his stance to be, for lack of a better term, bullshit.

He left me a voicemail last night telling me that he wants to speak with me over the phone and then work out an agreement in writing, that he "has spoken with his attorney," and that he thinks it would be best if I comply with him, but implied that he would resort to legal measures if need be. I am aware that photographers often posture and flex when they feel threatened (sending strongly-worded e-mails and threatening legal action, but usually in the case of potential copyright violation), and I think that is exactly what he is doing right now (as do my lawyer friends). I, however, am not (though, I have not yet informed him of this, in the hopes of resolving this matter ourselves). If it does come to that point, I will take legal steps to the fullest extent I can. I have enough time to take out of my schedule to do that, and I know his business can't afford it.

Subjunctivitis fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

IANAL, but I wouldn't speak with him over the phone. All communication should be via email, so you've got a written record of everything said from here on out. If you've got a way to do it, I would save that voicemail, too.

What city/state are you located in?

I am located in XXXXXXX, CA.

And yes, I informed him, both via e-mail and via text that I would only have this conversation via e-mail only.

And I have that voicemail saved, as well.

Subjunctivitis fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 9, 2014

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
New update to my thread: Unpaid invoices! Freelance FTW and breaking working relationships

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Hey all, I have an update to my predicament with this photographer who didn't pay my invoices and with whom I had an unpaid "internship."

He e-mailed me a letter with all kinds of good stuff in it (nothing on paper...).

Join in on the fun here: Freelance FTW: Unpaid Invoices and Unpaid Internships

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
I posted a thread in the BFC subforum (where anyone who is interested can read for more information), but I want to ask a more specific question here about the following portion of a letter (PDF e-mail) I received from the photographer who is a now-former client of mine.

The Photographer posted:

You agreed to received professional one-on-one training on Adobe Lightroom and
Photoshop for installation, setup, general use, photographic editing, photographic raw
processing, photographic retouching, color correction, and many other techniques and
methods associated with the use of these software products to produce finished
professional photographic images from unprocessed or incomplete processed images.

As compensation for the professional one-on-one training you agreed to complete 4
photographic editing and or retouching projects at a professionally acceptable level for
The Photographer after your training was completed. Further more it was the spirt and intent of the
training and agreement that after the training and compensation projects that you would
be an independent contractor providing an ongoing resource to the studio on a fee for
service basis to produce finished professional photographic images.

On June 5, 2013, you informed The Photographer that you would not be completing your training or
fulfilling your agreement to compensate The Photographer for such training and you would not be an
ongoing resources as such for The Photographer for such work. You did this without reason or cause
to do so. At this time you were informed that this was a violation of the terms and
conditions of our agreement.

As of June 5, 2013, you had received one-on-one training for almost two months
consuming hours and hours of personal training time by The Photographer. In addition, you were
within weeks of completing the training program and as such had completed
approximately 90% of the intended training that we had agreed upon.

As of June 21, 2013 you have not responded or addressed violating the terms and
conditions of the agreement.You can complete and or be in compliance with our agreement by:

1) Completing the 4 projects that you had agreed to do once your training was
completed. Given that you were very close to completing your training this is within
your skill set and capability to reasonably complete the projects at close to a
professional level - given the circumstances The Photographer is willing to accept your work at
your current level although this is less than what was agreed upon in our agreement
and furthermore less than what we agreed since you were suppose to be an ongoing
resources for such work.

2) Compensate The Photographer for the one-on-one training you received over a two month period
of time and do not complete the 4 projects.

Before I ask my question, here is a list points for consideration (I'm being redundant and pedantic for the sake of clarity):

1) I worked for him as an independent contractor (when he would book me for shoot dates as well as time to help him maintain his studio) and then in April, we began an unpaid "internship" situation alongside that (retouching wedding images).
2) I got paid for my IC work, but not the internship work.
3) During the unpaid internship, I worked on photos which he still had to submit to his clients (for free)
4) During the unpaid internship, the photographer guided me to produce the images to his standards and to his liking until he was satisfied with the work before he would submit them to his clients.
5) The unpaid internship had no written contract
6) The unpaid internship, as I understood* it, was for some number of projects (4, 5, 6?) or indeterminate length of time (1 month? 2, 3, 4?) until the photographer decided he was satisfied with my work and then being able produce work for him for pay.
7) The photographer (until I received this letter) was in agreement with those undetermined number of projects an length of time.
8) The photographer also had in mind that I was required finish the internship when it was deemed to be complete (see 6 and 7)
9) As you can see above, the photographer now states that the internship was only supposed to be for 4 projects. I completed 3.
10) If I had been aware of the number of projects or length of time to complete the internship, I would not have quit the internship (or would be much much less likely to quit it).
11) When I quit the internship, the photographer told me that I was required to complete the internship ("the big wedding season is coming up and now I have to find someone else" was an additional thing he threw into that conversation), and I told him that, sure, I could help him out and do this next project and the one after that. The photographer obviously did not accept that offer.

So now, as you can read above, he wants me to either do more free work for him or to pay him for the "training" he has given me.

That seems bogus, but I could be wrong.

However, my question is:

What kind of recourse does the photographer have for me immediately quitting the internship (i.e. without notice)?

*I use the past tense here, because he is contesting my understanding of the scope of the internship.

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
What kind of stance or legal basis does the photographer have to sue me for training costs?

Just a reminder that there was only a verbal contract (where some points of understanding between us are in conflict) and that I was not paid during the time of training ("internship"). I have not signed a NDA or non-compete either (which seems to line up with his paranoia and will to sue me for the future damage he believes I will undoubtedly do).

This paragraph on the website of a California law firm seems to indicate that he cannot because a judge would likely find the training period invalid:

"Generally, the more a trainee job resembles a traditional job, the less likely it will be upheld as a valid education-in-lieu-of-pay arrangement. To increase the chances that trainee jobs will be upheld, employers should make sure that the jobs consist mainly of substantive training work, rather than just menial or administrative tasks. Trainees also must be enrolled in educational and/or vocational programs that are relevant to their training work (e.g., newspaper interns must be presently enrolled in journalism programs) at the time the work occurs. Employers likely cannot enter into valid trainee relationships with people who either are not presently in school, or who are not enrolled in classes and/or programs that are unrelated to their training work."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
So I posted in here a long-rear end time ago about a lawsuit I filed with a photographer who refused to pay my invoices...

The conclusion (finally) is here