Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Alchenar posted:

We actually have a whole court system based around dealing with employee rights: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/employment-tribunals-powers-their-use-and-application. The tribunal consists of a professional judge and two lay members and it's pretty fast, neat and cheap. It's not perfect but people bringing claims often don't have lawyers and it does not stop them winning.

You also don't get to use it except for very egregrious cases unless you've been working for your current employer for two years. Thanks New Labour/Coalition!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

DaveSauce posted:

Interesting, my understanding of double jeopardy was that new evidence was grounds for retrying someone. Not sure why I thought that, something about it being a different trial even though the crime is the same?

It is grounds (now) in the UK. In the US isn't there a thing where it doesn't apply if you're retried federally for something thats also a state crime or vice versa?

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 9, 2019

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Lingua Anglica peius linguam Latinam

With that username you should really have better Latin :colbert:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

Legalis Latium nones verdid justicam.

Latium's laws 3pm equitable springtime? And that's reaching because I don't think 'verdid' is even Latin.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Doctor Party posted:

Maternity leave question:
My wife has 6 weeks maternity leave and is not planning to return after her leave ends. She would like to provide appropriate notice to her employer of her intentions. However, she is concerned they will cut off her leave once they find out she is not coming back.

So my question is does an employee have any rights here in this regard? Are you entitled to your maternity leave if you make the employer aware you are resigning after it is over?

The company is sort of a disorganized mess. She has no intention of ever working for them again. However, she will likely work in this industry in the future, so we don't want to burn bridges. Any advice?

TLDR: If you intend to resign at end of maternity leave are you entitled to the benefit if you let them know in advance?

Thanks!

I feel like you're going to need to specify a country and/or state.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Do we even have self-driving trains or light commuter rail?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docklands_Light_Railway

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Interesting. A skimming of the article suggests some trains are automated and some are manually driven, but there's no elaboration on when or why.

No? To the best of my knowledge all DLR trains are 100% automated. I've never seen a driver and I dont know where they would even sit. Other bits of the Underground/TfL still have drivers. The article suggests there's a dude on there checking tickets etc who could take control in an emergency, but in normal operation, it's fully automated.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 7, 2020

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Motronic posted:

It's a lot more realistic than most people think. You just need to get out of the mentality that someone willing to hire you is doing YOU a favor.

That very much depends on your line of work and seniority. I could do that as a senior computer toucher. Someone applying as a fry cook? Come on now.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Motronic posted:

Of course there's a limit to this. My point is more people are capable of this than they think. And it's also a tragedy of the commons the lower on the ladder you go.....since very few do it........wait....it's almost like if there were some method of collectively doing this as labor with the people hiring labor. Someone who could bargain for you........

Also it's laughable you'd bring this up in the context of this particular contract.

Alternatively then someone applying for their very first programming job, but you did pretty much claim everyone has this leverage in general. We are privileged to be in this position.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

the spyder posted:

Edited and thank you.

What does "uncontested divorce" start at?
Is this a $10k, $50k or $100k outlay? Assuming my answer is however far you want to take it.

For my wife and I in Michigan it was about $500 iirc, but neither of us hired lawyers.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Eminent Domain posted:

Do the needful mods.

Also any time someone tells me they have a "uncontested"/"simple" divorce it is a giant warning bell.

I will be amazed if no court appearances are involved given that.

There was absolutely a court appearance involved in mine, because Michigan requires that, which was super weird to me. But yeah, my ex and I didnt have kids or property, we'd already been separated for a while, we were on decent terms, and I'm sure that absolutely makes things a lot more simple.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

Not a lawyer but it’s super normal to ask suppliers and contractors for proof of insurance. Chances are they already have a letter or certificate from their insurer without any confidential info ready to go because they get asked often.

Or, you know, they’re shady.

Grip it and rip it posted:

Ahem, if you don't trust me then maybe this won't be a good working relationship.

Um. Just want to point out these two posts right next to each other :shobon:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

euphronius posted:

True fact you don’t own anything the sovereign can take it at any time.

I mean 'you' might still be forums user Queen Elizabeth Ii.

Sup Bessie!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Martman posted:

Now, obviously this is kind of a can of worms in terms of the optics of this neighborhood's response.

I don't think the 'optics' are the problem here. Your neighbourhood wants to do a bad thing and that will make them look bad, because it is bad.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Deleting it from your phone also probably won't actually delete it given how both filesystems and flash memory work.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Chamale posted:

Would this be insurance fraud? The Titan hits an iceberg while the sailor on lookout was drunk, which voids the Titan's insurance policy. The only person alive to testify to this fact is the sailor himself, and he freely tells the insurance company's lawyers. When he learns that the child he rescued from the wreck will get a large inheritance if the insurance is paid out, he refuses to testify. Jurisdiction is 19th-century England, although I don't know if this thread has any historian lawyers.

So uh that sub didn't implode, it time travelled? :shobon:

(You mean the Titanic)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Chamale posted:

Actually, this is the plot of the 1898 novel Futility, or The Wreck of the Titan.

Huh TIL, consider me corrected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

EwokEntourage posted:

We also have a lot of stories about the pope having orgies. None of it has any bearing on whether the average person put any stock into it (since the average person didn’t understand Latin and didn’t understand the church service, or probably didn’t speak whatever language the courts worked in, and who knows whether they even made it to any sort of court proceedings and whether it was just handled summarily by whatever authority figure was present.)

I’m sure it meant a lot to some people. Still does. And people still lie under oath today.

Religious oaths in the Middle Ages are not just a court thing. I myself swore 'do fidem' to the corporation of my mediaeval university when I graduated. Guilds have the same deal, so do feudal oaths of fealty. Oaths very much do matter and are taken seriously.

Also who is 'average person' here? Peasants don't go to court but also to a first approximation they simply don't matter in society.