Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
I'm pretty sure I want to evict my roommate, but the legal situation is pretty complicated so I thought I'd ask for advice. I live in Portland, Oregon, which about a year ago passed a no no-cause evictions law.

He's been living here for years with my brother as landlord in a sort of sub-lease. My mom owns the house. I decided to move down here, and my brother said he wanted me to take over essentially being the landlord.

The tenant in question has lived here for years, but without any kind of actual agreement on paper. He rents the garage (also no paperwork), and runs an extension cord out there and runs some kind of weird import/export business. I'm pretty sure he has no business license and the business is actually quasi-illegal (importing for resale without declaring etc..), or at least lacking in proper licenses and such. He also does some of his "crafting" in the living room (he makes like artisanal wooden spoons and such, it's very Portland).

Our other roommate is a long-time friend and the tenant in question insists on harassing him (hovering near him talking to him, etc..). I finally caught him at it because he didn't realize I was home and he started doing it (he waits till I'm not in the house to pull stuff). When I confronted him about it he stalked off. Then he got in my face the next day because I said I didn't like him. When I told him not to talk to me anymore and just communicate with me in writing, he waited a day and then posted a manifesto on the refrigerator.

I have some sympathy for the guy, he clearly has some real mental illness and the system is failing him, but I don't want my house to be a charity house. I used to work for a non-profit that ran group homes for the severely and persistently mentally ill, and his behavior reminds me far too much of those people.

So I was thinking because he has no actual lease he probably has an implied month to month lease, but I'm not sure. I was thinking of making him sign a month to month, putting on a 9.9% rent increase, making him pay a pet deposit and a room deposit and last months rent and a deposit on the garage and see where we end up (he has no deposits currently). I also don't think I have to rent the garage to him or continue to rent it to him, or that I can just arbitrarily increase the rent on the garage, I'm assuming it's not covered under the law that controls rent price increases in Portland.

I also don't want his poo poo in the living room, and I don't want him doing any of his weird "crafting" poo poo in the house. My brother let him have a desk in the room because he rents a very small attic space, but it's basically overrun with weird poo poo, cereal boxes and stuff (I think he's a low-key hoarder).

Maybe some goons will pile into the thread to tell me I'm a bad person for wanting to evict a crazy person and possibly make him homeless or dead, which is a fair perspective, but I don't want to live with the guy, he doesn't see a counselor or do anything to try to deal with his mental illness just basically rants about how everyone else is the problem, and frankly, I worry about my dog, that he'd hurt her or something, so before this gets too litigious I think I'm going to stash her at my mom's, but I just don't want to live with someone who means I can't have my dog in my own home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Bad Munki posted:

OP have you considered learning to play the drums

He wears giant headphones all day long, so I don't think that I could like... drive him out via drumming.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Louisgod posted:

How much does he charge for the spoons?

I don’t know how much do these seem worth?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Devor posted:

I'm the guy getting evicted from a garage that almost certainly doesn't meet bedroom requirements for rentals

In an unrelated hypothetical, if the landlord furnishes a space heater does that meet heating requirements in Portland, Oregon.

In a second unrelated hypothetical, my 50-foot extension cord gets really warm when I run the space heater - who is liable when if I burn the garage down?

Sorry if I was unclear, he rents a bedroom and the garage as well.

I’m happy to post my workstation but it is in my room, not the living room so it doesn’t seem comparable. Also I don’t illegally import Chinese poo poo and boil it or sand it in common areas where random toxic poo poo could get in the air or what have you, particularly when I have a space set aside specifically for that.

I do wonder if he’s a goon but c’est la vie.

pseudanonymous fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 28, 2020

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

thehoodie posted:

OP I'm quite certain based on your information here that Spoonman posts on this site so I would delete the photo and also talk to a lawyer and if you're not a scum landlord help the dude find a new place to live if you evict him

I’d be happy to let him stay longer if he was willing to actively find another place to live but instead he posted a manifesto on the fridge after repeatedly demanding I explain why I didn’t like him resulted in me instructing him to communicate with me in writing. Which to be fair it was a written manifesto so he did follow that instruction.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

evilweasel posted:

why would you post pictures of his desk

post the manifesto

For the spoons.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

euphronius posted:

You def should not post the fridge manifesto

Even tho I really want you to. (do it).

I mean does he have some reasonable expectation of privacy for something he posts in a common area?

Maybe I could just get a boom box and play spoonman really loud all the time.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

BonerGhost posted:

You know who could answer that question?

Your lawyer.

I am extremely doubtful that your occupant brother in the house your mother owns actually has landlord authority, and I'm even more doubtful that you have it simply because he's said he wants you to take over essentially being the landlord.

A responsible adult would consult a professional who can tell them whether they actually hold this position and the attendant rights and responsibilities, not ask specific advice from a comedy forum thread explicitly not for that purpose. In my mind, that same adult wouldn't try to humiliate someone he thinks is his tenant on the basis of his perceived disability, but maybe that's just my crazy opinion.

As much as I would love to watch you continue to make an rear end of yourself and post more potentially incriminating information, it really rubs me the wrong way that you think the best way to deal with this situation is to gently caress with someone's life because you think you have the right to do so.

I get that you don't want to live with the guy, but the way you're going about this sounds really unfair, needlessly mean, and if there's any justice in the world, will really bite you in the rear end.

Sorry for making jokes on a comedy forum duder. Thanks for setting me straight I really value the insight you’ve given me. I appreciate you kramering in to this thread on a comedy forum and reminding me not to actually literally follow every joking suggestion a goon makes. Obviously I’m now we’ll advised that if I post something like “maybe if I” it’s “potentially incriminating”; I’ll place exactly the amount of value on your advice it merits.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

if thats really where he makes the spoons that is very tidy. Whittling makes a ton of wood scraps

I think he does most of his crafting poo poo in the garage. He's very careful not to do certain things when I'm home so I don't always know what's going on. He sometimes solders in the living room, he's been known to boil spoons in the kitchen.

Javid posted:

"family wants/needs a place" is the literal most common bullshit way to scam around renter protection laws here. it generally means "we found a cousin to live here while we renovate so we can shove this family out and charge more rent for it" so that's why people familiar with the specific laws and history involved are skeptical of the explanation

anyway. speaking only as a professional woodworker, if him sanding indoors is a problem that's entirely fair, and there's ways he can mitigate that which you would be within reason to expect of him, ranging from "dust collection equipment" to "just sanding outside" or maybe doing it all in the garage he apparently rents? I dunno. You can solve this like adults if that is actually what you want

If he would act even remotely like an adult we'd have 0 problems. I have tremendous sympathy for the fact he's mentally ill and trying to make his way. Part of why I'm posting here and being so loving mean about it is to deal with on a comedy forum rather than just screaming at him when he does something ludicrous and acts like he's the victim.

I don't want to worry he's going to flip out and hurt my dog, I don't want to worry he's going to burn the house down soldering in the house or boiling spoons, I don't want to worry that he's going to cut his arm off in my garage (he wrote down in his manifesto that he removes the safety pieces off his cheaply made Chinese power tools). I don't want to deal with him harassing my other roommate and implicitly threatening violence and saying poo poo like "I could have a gun in my room".

I absolutely understand that people often make up poo poo like this to evict someone so they can charge more rent. I'm pretty sure if I evict him I'll end up financially worse off, he rents a tiny attic which is difficult to rent out, and a garage, which normally roommate tenants don't rent garages, so it's basically just free money for not using my garage.

I am going to get my ducks in a row and talk to a lawyer and see how he acts in the meanwhile. If he keeps doubling down every day on the insanity we're going to be well over 9000 pretty soon and I'm just going to have the pull the trigger.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Volmarias posted:

Do it coward.

Also, what do you mean by boiling spoons? He just sets a pot of water, throws the spoons in there, turns the heat on, and comes back later?

This is in my room. My personal bedroom, not the public, common, living room:

I don't really know, I don't really care that much about the spoon boiling, it's just weird. He said it strengthens them or weakens them or something. If the spoon boiling, or the soldering or the sanding or whatever were isolated things, I wouldn't care.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Well, he set up a GoPro in the living room to tape us without our knowledge or consent today, so that's a fun development.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Arcturas posted:

No, keep posting your saga of crazy.

I don't think we blame you for not wanting to live with a crazy person, but getting rid of him is actually one of those things that's really complex and varies drastically from city-to-city so get a lawyer.

I am going to. I said this before but I'm going to get an actual contract with my mom then talk to a lawyer and see what the consequences and actions of various courses would be then make a decision.

I'm also going to stash my dog with her for a while because I'm worried he'll lose his poo poo if he gets the eviction notice and she's tiny and could be easily hurt.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Javid posted:

Remind us why you think he's a threat to your dog? Aside from "is weird" I have seen no justification for that.

Things he’s said about dogs and pets and my past experiences with adults with severe and persistent mental illness and he mentioned pets in his manifesto.

To be fair I’m overprotective of her and I don’t think he’s likely to hurt her, I just don’t want to be stressed about it or that he’ll burn down the house with his shenanigans and leave her.

pseudanonymous fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 1, 2020

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Carillon posted:

Maybe I'm misreading but why are you getting a contract first and then the lawyer?

My mom and brother and I never actually signed anything. So I'm worried that if he fights an eviction or gets crazier, I don't really have any proof on paper that I'm really the landlord.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Eminent Domain posted:

Maybe talk to a lawyer from the get go period.

And post the manifesto.

Well frankly if having an actual lease agreement with my mom will in some way hurt me it will magically not exist.

Also my girlfriend texted me this while I was at the gym and I thought all my problems were solved:

https://twitter.com/pdxalerts/status/1233871182333480960

pseudanonymous fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 1, 2020

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

No. He was saying he’s gonna make spoonman sign a lease or contract of some sort and then if a lawyer said it was invalid destroy it and do what the lawyer says.

No, I said I would get a written lease with my mom, the actual home owner, but that I wouldn't sign it until I talked to a lawyer, in case there was some weird consequence of my taking over the lease and not immediately evicting spoonman or something like that. People have advised me not to make spoonman sign a lease until I talk to a lawyer, and I'm not planning to.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Send him a collect call, and when the collect call says to state your name, give "heydudeyou'recollectcallingthewrongnumber"

I don't think you can collect call people in prison. Pretty sure they aren't allowed inbound calls at all.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Well my roommate wrote me a letter in the third person saying he was looking for another place to live, but noted twice this did not constitute notice of intent to vacate. So I guess I don't have to evict him.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Outrail posted:

Write him a letter in the third person titled 'Notice of non-intention to evict' saying you're looking for another tenant, but note twice this does not constitute notice of intent to evict.

I'm not going to replace him. I just don't want to deal with his poo poo anymore.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Inept posted:

My house rental lease ends at the end of May, and the landlord said we had to move out by then. Since there's a loving pandemic, I asked if there was any way we could stay. She said that we could go on a month to month lease, but she would be listed as our roommate. She said she had no intention of living here, but needed to because she has a mortgage for an owner-occupied house. So she's doing some mortgage fraud. I don't want to be an accessory to that, but I also don't want to have to move during what may be the peak of the outbreak where I live.

I don't really see any option but to sign the bullshit fake month to month lease, other than perhaps forcing her to try to evict us. My wife is in a high risk category for Covid, so we really don't want to have to move.

Realistically, any idea what might happen if we signed the document knowing it's bullshit? We live in NC.

I consulted an attorney but she said she can't really help us since what we're considering is illegal.

It's not like you're under some mandatory obligation to report a crime. IANAL. But I have been a mandatory abuse reporter, for example. It's not like you're comitting fraud, the landlord is.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

No one will be able to help you without knowing what state you're in.

He said NC.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

pentyne posted:

I just was present for my buddy who doesn't really get "the law" on a call with his lawyer over trying to evict a tenant. He keeps going on and on about some document he wrote and got the tenant to sign and how it must mean he can kick them out and I'm just listening to the lawyer repeating over and over "there is no definitive language in that document" and watching him just not make the connection to understand since "but he signed it, that means he has to do what I say"

Long story short, pay someone now to do it right and not pay someone 100x more later when you do it wrong.

On that note, is the this thread where the guy had a bunch of questions about him as an RA wrestling with a female dorm student and she got injured? Even in his own words it looked like a really bad situation for him and he kept getting angrier and angrier no one agreed it was NDB.

"the law" can feel like loving bullshit. So I sympathize with the guy. It sometimes feels like figuring out magic card interactions and just being like, well this makes no sense but it's what the oracle says.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

So it appears that Spoonman moved out a month ago, he gave me a letter on the 15th of April (in the 3rd person) saying he was trying to move out but it was "not a specific notice to vacate" and that he would move out either before or after May 30th.

I'd like to at least attempt to recover some of my damages in small claims court, is there a good guide somewhere to do's and dont's of small claims court?

I'm thinking like the lost rent since he defrauded me of May rent by not paying and not giving notice and in fact, specifically giving notice he would still be here, the fact I had to move all his crap to the garage and now have to get a dumpster for it, the carpet he destroyed by leaving rotting food in his room apparently off and on for years, destroying the smoke detector, lighting fires in his room, damage to the walls from the fire, etc..

Can I argue tortious interference since he kept me from contracting with someone else for the room for the month, or do I need a specific actual other party?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

tater_salad posted:

I Anal, but I have sued a renter in Small claims court for nonpayment of rent and leaving 1 month after resigning a 6 month lease....

Yeah I'm not sure I'd be able to recover much, he chooses not to work and instead goes to food banks and stuff, I mean he "sells spoons" but the same dozen spoons were in the living room the 6 months I lived with him, he has no storefront on Etsy etc..

To some degree I'm just curious what small claims court is really like, so I'd kind of like to do it for that reason.

Can you sell the claim to a debt collector? I know you only get pennies on the dollar for this, but it'd be something.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

On a side note, I know he pissed you off to no end and you feel wronged. There is no real recourse for you, though. You can hold onto that anger and be petty or you can just accept the win of a spoonman free world and chalk your losses up to the game. You had a lovely tenant. That's business when you're a landlord. It happens, and you can either be spiteful and petty with no hope of ever seeing satisfaction or you can let it go and use it as a learning experience.

I think part of my desire to do something about it comes from my accounting background, I've seen numerous cases where people embezzle money for example and get fired but the company doesn't do anything because it does them no good. So then they get hired somewhere else and embezzle again.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

I agree with you, but spoonman isn't someone nefariously stealing. They seem like someone who is mentally unwell and will live a hard life in a nation that primarily uses the penal system to handle mental heath issues. This is a completely different situation. You're seeking retribution, in this case, against a broken person for the crime of being broken.

In the case of corporate malfeasance, I'm with you. I want to see something done with those people. Spoonman isn't siphoning off funds out of some corporate coffer. They're someone who makes loving artisanal spoons in their landlord's kitchen.

I partially agree with you. I think he needs therapy and medication, but I think part of the problem is that he gets away with this and gets enabled. From my experiences with him before I moved him and from talking to the other roommates he was less unwell when he worked a regular job. He was unhappy, but he was less crazy. I think wandering around the house all day "making spoons" but actually doing nothing, and posting in some incel subbreddit about how he's the victim of the world is making his life worse.

If he hadn't specifically given me notice that he wasn't moving out, like I dunno told me the truth that he was moving out, I could've started cleaning up his poo poo and rented out the room for May. So just to be a prick he cost me close to a thousand dollars. I'd be a lot more sympathetic if he hadn't done that.

People in the thread have implied that I'm like the mustache twirling monopoly man, but I have to pay the rent on this house and if rooms are empty the rent doesn't magically disappear.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Have you ever seen the movie The Town, with acclaimed actor Ben Affleck? Without getting into too many details, just in case you haven’t seen the movie and would like to at some point in the future, (as I believe it is on several streaming services at this point), the premise of the movie is that Ben is a bank robber. He meets a nice lady named Claire and falls in love, but oh no! How will he reconcile the fact that he was the one who robbed Claire’s bank? Drama unfolds with some excellent action-packed robbery sequences. I heartily recommend it.

There’s a scene in the movie that’s relevant to your situation, pseudanonymous. There’s a moment where Claire is being aggressively cat-called by some low-lifes. You see, that’s you. You’re basically going to have to live with this catcalling, because what else are you going to do? Call the police? Sue them? That’s never going to work. Your particular low-life is judgement-proof. You can’t really change your (metaphorical) route either, because as you’ve said, you’ve a need to fix the situation. You want justice! That’s great!

In the movie, Claire mentions her cat-calling issue to Ben, and he and a buddy beat the everloving poo poo out of these low-lifes. It’s super hot. Claire is intensely attracted to Ben because of this, and understandably so! He solved her problem in a masculine, street-justice-filled way.

What I’m trying to tell you, pseudanonymous, is that in my professional opinion, you need to get Ben to fall in love with you and he’ll assault your previous tenant to within in inch of his miserable spoon life. You’ll have sweet catharsis and possibly a new life with Ben! I’d start by contacting Ben’s agent and go from there.

Note, I am not a lawyer.

This post get's really weird when you find out what Spoonmans' name is.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

1. You have to pay rent? I thought your mom owned the house. If you're literally just subletting, why the gently caress are you subletting instead of letting your landlord deal with these hassles. If the house is family owned, then, yes, your "rent" can adjust.

2. You will not fix spoonman. You have one of two options: make someone's already lovely life worse for no reason other than to make yourself feel better or move on. Regardless, I hope you learned to actually use a lease/get deposits/etc with any future tenants. You should be thankful that there's not tens of thousands in damage with no recourse vs one month in lost rent.

She does but I agreed to pay her a certain amount per month. I have a lease with her.

Yeah I didn't rent the room to him initially, and I had every intention of making him sign an actual lease and pay a deposit etc.. I would never have let him move in without one. My brother complicated things by his choices. Then when I moved in and took over the situation, I meant to do that, then I got a job offer the second day of my job search in portland and started like the next day and... then the 'rona kicked and I couldn't make him sign a lease etc..

Yeah it sounds like I probably shouldn't go to small claims court, but I might do it anyway, the filing fee is only $53, so if I get a 2500 judgement against him and can sell it for 250 + get to learn how small claims court works I' come out ahead, I'll make a decision about it later.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

euphronius posted:

Did we ever get a screen shot of the Spoonman Fridge Manifesto?

Oh no I forgot about that, I'll edit it and post it up once I've finished throwing out his poo poo in another 10 days or so.

by edit I mean I'll redact his name

pseudanonymous fucked around with this message at 17:16 on May 19, 2020

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

There is a pretty good book I read years and years ago called street law, and it was about how the law actually works on the street vs these bizarre ideas people have about "mah rights" or whatever.

I'm not sure it's still updated, there's a ton of books now called Street Law: blah blah but it was eye opening when I read it.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

I mean, if it was a Republican king, wouldn't that be considered a Republican government?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

I clicked around a bit because this sounded interesting and pretty quickly found some dude who says this lawyer bribed the Ecuador judges and ghostwrote the judgement himself. He alleges that it was the government who actually did the polluting and got to pin it on Chevron anyway in order to enrich the lawyer and themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejkKSdeS6DI

I mean I as much as anyone would love to see oil companies pay out billions for polluting, but it certainly doesn't seem too cut and dry.

Do you also work for Chevron or what?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Hoshi posted:

No TVM calculation? I expected better

From a lawyer?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

owlhawk911 posted:

ok i said this with manifesto guy too but listen: if op gets too owned he'll stop posting and that's no fun

I didn't feel even remotely owned? I stopped posting because I was satisfied as to the answer, which ultimately was wrong. I hired an attorney and spoonman moved out after giving specific notice that he wasn't moving out, and the money I spent on the lawyer was wholly wasted.

It's shocking that someone who is truly NALA has to explain the concept of devil's advocate to you, but people can argue things to see what you will say. Nobody has to pass the bar to post in this thread, and anyone can lazily say "yes you need a lawyer". If you don't argue with the first poster who says that almost inevitably no-one else will consider your case. The arguing gets you a consensus from the community.

I'm almost done cleaning out all spoonmans poo poo, one more trip with junk metal, one more trip to donate bike poo poo and one more trip to goodwill, and then I'll post his manifesto and other letters.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Eminent Domain posted:

drat, this took off over the last few pages.

The legal profession would be improved if someone could take my license after trial by combat.

lol

Isn't that what that guy who challenged the lawyer to trial by combat in his divorce was going for? I mean I can only assume if he killed the guy with a claymore and thus prevented his divorce, no other lawyer is going to actually oppose him after that.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Outrail posted:

It's just one or two. Storing them outside means they're getting hot/cold and probably damp.

If my bedroom is on fire my house is already done for and I'm probably dead anyway. Might as well go out loud.

Well it depends right? I mean are there stairs in your house, if so yeah you’re probably doomed.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Has anyone prepared the paperwork for a Non-Profit Organization? I was going to buy a book on and prepare a report for a couple people who want to incorporate and show them the options. I was going to prepare the paperwork and what not for them and then have a local attorney review it (or at least that is what I will advise them to do) I'm just curious if there is a recommended book, there's a few on Amazon and I can't necessarily tell them which to do (they're still debating between llc vs nonprofit vs nonprofit charitable).

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

euphronius posted:

Metaphorical akin to the old privateers

They have a bit of the law of the sea about them

This seems like the sequel to Repo Man. They start driving around with tow trucks with a hose spraying water on the ground in front of them declaiming that they are only bound by admiralty law and using bad pirate patter.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Harold Fjord posted:

This is getting a little circular.

"but they should!"
"but it could happen!"
"but it's reasonable!"

Ok but they still don't offer it so what else do you want

The problem is that people think they do offer it, and it's included, and they don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Volmarias posted:

So what I'm hearing is that the Scooby Doo method of land acquisition is real?

Dressing up in a mask and scaring people off their land is one of the cornerstones of property ownership, especially in the South.