Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
out of curiosity, how do you establish damages in an iied suit? Is it similar to pain and suffering, where you basically make up numbers that sound good based on other suits and hope the jury goes for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah, that's what I figured. Problem is, successful iied claims are really rare as far as I know so it would be tough to make a good comparison. Doesn't matter much anyways as the guy in question has no assets so there isn't any reason to sue. Here's the amusing story though, presented in chronological order.

my sister & I both lived in chicago. One night she loses her phone at a party and goes home. Later that night (330 am or so), this guy takes the phone and proceeds to call everyone listed as a family member (mom, dad, aunt, etc) and leave pretty vile messages. He leaves one for my parents pretending to be my sister screaming and crying as she is raped in an alley. My parents hear this message in the morning and freak out and call the cops and me to find my sister. I end up driving to her place, she is fine and didn't even know this had happened until a cop got there just before me. About two hours later the same guy called my parents again saying my sister had gotten hit by a car and was in an ambulance and he had picked up the phone. Parents freak out again and call me, I get annoyed since it's clearly the same guy. Managed to track him down (he refused to return the phone, said he was doing a favor by not selling it) and he fled the state, ended up in jail elsewere for other stuff. So yeah I think there was a good chance of prevailing on the claim, especially since I made sure for my parents and other family to save the messages. I just wish he had had assets we couldve gone after because gently caress that guy.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Incredulous Red posted:

Basically, you're talking about your parents/relatives having the cause of action, though. They'd have to show damages (therapy sessions, etc.). Your sister would have a claim of conversion on the phone theft.

Still, all that said, the dude ran away and ended up in jail. Exactly how much money could he have whereas it would make suing him worthwhile?

Yeah, the person with the strongest claim wouldve been my mom. For damages thoug, that's my question-do you need actual ones like therapist sessions? Seems like you wouldn't but I don't know that area at all.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
it's definitely not worth suing, hence the reason it hasn't happened. The statute of limitations expires in a month or so, so it's more of a scholastic inquiry than any real one. I wasn't aware of how to set the damages in that kind of case so thanks for the info.

and honestly it's kind of cool knowing my mom had a pretty good iied case-with a defendant with deep pockets it might have even ended up in a textbook somewere :kiddo:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I live in Chicago and have always thought that you could get a DUI while on a bicycle, either under the DUI law or a separate BUI or something similar. In fact, a friend of mine told me his roommate got one less than three years ago here.

However, yesterday a friend told me about People v. Schaefer, 654 N.E.2d 267, 274 Ill.App.3d 450, 210 Ill.Dec. 968 (2nd Dist. 1995) which says that bikes aren't vehicles and thus aren't subject to the state DUI statute. Sadly, I can't find the case itself on anything public like Findlaw, so is there a chance of someone looking it up in Westlaw/Lexis and telling me if it's still valid? I've also looked through the Chicago/Cook County codes and can't find anything there about a separate bicycling under the influence. A bunch of blogs say that Schaefer's still good law but there's no way I'm going to believe them.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My aunt (living and working in Illinois) was recently laid off and her employer is withholding her final paycheck right now. The employer wants her to provide her password on the work computer for her user account. She wants to know if there's any law prohibiting this. I can't find anything at all about employee logins, so it seems like the employer is in the wrong by refusing to pay her the money. Any ideas if there's anything to look into here?

And yes, this makes no sense because the employer should be able to log on with admin and do whatever they need to do, but apparently they're idiots.

Seems to me the employer is violating 820 ILCS 115/5 (& 14 for the penalties for not paying) but I want to make sure.

edit-I also found admin code about this: http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/056/05600300sections.html which indicates that wages can't be withheld for damage or return of employer property. I'm guessing that's the only thing that's even close to being applicable and that the employer has no leg to stand on.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Feb 17, 2012

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Diplomaticus posted:

Jesus christ, no for the love of God just loving stop. IIED/NIED cases have one of the toughest evidentiary barriers to prove precisely because idiots like you like to make those cases when nothing else works. 99.999999999% of the time, IIED/NIED is going to be an incidental claim on top of some other intentional tort. Which we've already told you, you don't have. Which should tell you, you don't have an emotional distress claim either.

You have something like a dozen lawyers in this thread telling you that you are wrong. You won't admit it. You're like Pooky except worse.

Just. loving. Let it go.

I actually had a pretty solid IIED claim come up about 5 years ago, but it's so hard to prove damages (and the guy was likely judgment proof anyways) that it wasn't worth pursuing. I sort of wish I had anyways just because they're so rare.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
My mom actually had a pretty good case for IIED against someone (random dude at a party stole my sister's phone, called mom, left voicemails about raping sister and faking her crying for help, then the next day called again saying sister had been hit by a car and was being taken to a hospital unconscious) but since he was judgment proof we never filed anything. Bums me out to this day since it's so hard to win one of those. I'm still unclear how you prove up damages in that kind of case, oh well.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 14, 2013

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Tell them their dog just got a butt kicking from a cat and the dog should feel bad and they should feel bad.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

FlyWhiteBoy posted:

My car was legally parked in front of my house a few days ago in California before I went on vacation. I was told today by a roommate that my car was towed for construction on the road. There were no signs or notice posted when I parked there. What are my options? It doesn't seem right that they are able to do that. How much notice is required to be given and am I responsible for all towing and storage fees?

Realistically you're screwed. I had the same thing happen to me once, but the ticket listed the wrong side of the street where there was no construction. I brought in pictures and the admin judge said since I didn't have pictures the day off the tow I couldn't prove there was no construction zone. Just pay the tow costs and fine.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

QVC Drinking Game posted:

I'm curious as to what, uh, hypothetical circumstances would result in that kind of situation.

How do I kill someone and get away with it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ibntumart posted:

Except in doc review, which is pretty much the only good thing to say about doc review.

I don't think this is actually true, but rather part of the business model. I know you don't get time and a half unless the company feels generous (aka can't convince anyone to come in and work extra hours).

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

me too

it's literally my career goal at this point

My goal is to be the judge I see who spends most of his time doodling while attorneys ramble in front of him, then makes his ruling without considering anything they'd said. Even better, someone told him today that his clerk had fallen asleep and wasn't stamping orders and he just shrugged.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

My former patent attorney boss became a small claims judge, and last I heard, when there was a dispute over the sale of a few dozen large drums recently, he made them come back with all the drums (multiple truckloads worth) just so he could get an idea of how many drums there were.

Living the dream.

I wish I'd been in the courtroom my colleagues were in, when someone foreclosed on a farm and the defendant was going "that's fine, but what about my sheep?" and the judge ended up asking if anyone in the courtroom knew what it took to care for sheep and how you did it.

Another colleague of mine was at a sheriff auction where some horses were foreclosed on, with auction names such as 'unnamed foal, 8 months old' and the attorneys started bidding $1 each.

This is all in Chicagoland, which one wouldn't think is that rural.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

xxEightxx posted:

Any of you law goons behind this new fad of using a printed piece of paper on a car window to avoid dui checkpoints?

A map?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Gilyon posted:

Yeah, obviously it's not hypothetical, heh. I was arguing with some co-workers over the second arrest. My feeling is that, as you said, the other drugs found at the home would be used in relationship to any final sentencing the person would get for the charge from the first arrest. And that the drugs seized at the home are evidence related to the first arrest, not PC to lock the person up again for the same charge. In the jurisdiction this happened in, there is no higher charge for the amount somebody possesses (except for marijuana) - having a large amount of a drug is simply more evidence of the arrestee having intent for something other than personal use. Even though a larger amount of drugs were found in the home, the charge for the new arrest is the same charge as the original arrest that generated the warrant.

edit: The question isn't if anything seized in the search would be used against the person, simply if evidence related to and arising from the first arrest can give PC for a second arrest immediately subsequent to release. I could easily see it being a gray area, or me being flat out wrong about it.

Why did you tell your coworkers that you got arrested for drug dealing?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

xxEightxx posted:

The point is no because they are being literal and saying you can write anything down and file it as a complaint. There was a case in lawschool where a guy tried to sue the devil and the judge threw it out because of a lack of service of process iirc. But the guy was still able to sue.

Why couldn't you just serve him by publication? Really, that judge should have let the case proceed all the way, and then let the plaintiff figure out how exactly he was going to enforce his judgment.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
If your intent is to stop paying your mortgage, feel free to google 'sovereign citizen pro se' for help and you'll find that you can live mortgage free for years! Just make sure not to record your land patents against public officials.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

No, you asked: "mortgages and law; why?"

What is a law; really? When you think about..it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Anti-Derivative posted:

OK so your answer is that these courts don't apply actual law, therefore the only advice is he loses.

I'm in evictions court in Illinois every week and the judges absolutely do not follow case law and their eyes glaze over if you try to cite it. They're more interested in moving the other hundred cases they have up that morning.

He could very well win if an eviction is filed against him and I can recommend a half dozen lawyers to help but it's a toss up.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 23, 2015

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

You have a wood fire stove that you use? That's a thing? Thank god for Texas.

That sounds awesome to have as a renter and a nightmare for a landlord unless the landlord has a side business of selling overpriced firewood in the lobby.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

So a bad thing happened. My car was stolen.

This isn't really the end of the world as the car wasn't worth that much, but it was my mode of transportation to work and I can't afford another vehicle. I live about 90 minutes by biking and a knee problem might hamper my ability to actually make that trek.

Beyond my inability to get to work, I'm honestly somewhat terrified of living here. It's a gated community, but apparently not gated enough for some to just walk in, grab a vehicle and leave. The more I think about it, the less I want to be here and the more I want to move.

To that end, can I use this as grounds to break my lease on my apartment? Is there a way to legally do that and move to some place where I'm both closer to work such that I can actually bike there, and not have to worry about someone just taking stuff with no recourse? This is in California.

Are you positive it wasn't towed?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

ActusRhesus posted:

Today I had a judge insist I sit and have a cup of tea with her while she expressed her dissatisfaction with other lawyers in the building.

This happened recently with one of my small time firm's lawyers by an appellate judge on the 7th circuit and everyone is still confused on how and why it happened. Judges are humans too, I guess.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Rig up a spring loaded shotgun aimed at their knees if they open the gate.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Alchenar posted:

Name a situation in which statutory rape would be reasonable in the moment to most people.

Sure, I'll name one that I've seen occur. Guy meets group of women in bachelorette party at bar, gets oral sex in bathroom. Girl turns out to be 16 in a state where that's under the limit (so not Indiana, etc)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Better yet, draft a release of the mortgage, record that, get a new mortgage based on the old one being released, repeat a half dozen times then avoid service on your boat in the Caribbean.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

the milk machine posted:

keep going, i'm writing this down

Make sure not to use the same bank twice!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

reformed bad troll posted:

I would question why you are going to a bar with a buddy and being the only one not drinking. That's the dumbest thing.

Yeah everyone knows if you go to a bar you should get poo poo faced wasted or else there's no reason to be there

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

St. John Coltrane posted:

I am in Chicago, IL. You may remember me from a few months ago when I had a few questions regarding my landlord’s threats of eviction due to my saxophone practicing. I’ll dispense with the latest updates on this ongoing saga for now and get straight to my question regarding service of process in Chicago:

I can see through the Cook county online public records search that a case has been filed against me, but I have not yet been served (and haven’t been evading process). It appears that a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd summons (the 3rd listed as ‘Posting/Publication Notice’) have been issued. I’m wondering how exactly the ‘Posting/Publication Notice’ works. Is it possible that there is a newspaper posting somewhere that I’m not aware of, and that the court date will roll by without me ever getting properly served? I read somewhere that a true publication posting has to allow 30 days for the defendant to respond and requires the papers to be mailed in conjunction.

Again, I haven’t been evading process, haven’t seen any kind of postings on our front door, and the building manager knows full well that myself and my roommates still live here (I unfortunately run into him fairly regularly), yet no service, and three summonses. It’s almost like they don’t want to actually serve us. Is there some backhanded way of getting a default judgment through halfhearted attempts at service?

Check the cook county sheriff site, there might be more info there. get an attorney

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 14, 2015

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Master shake is that true?

Also I just filed an eviction against a multi million dollar company. That's going to be fun.

Pretty much. Remember, even Rahm couldn't get that one dude out of his house!

Chicago sax guy: what judge did you get? I hope for your sake it's Hambright (enjoy the 20 minute speech)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Aren't most grad students expected to stay on their parents plans?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Gobbeldygook posted:

Two unrelated hypotheticals.

1. Someone on Amazon sells a box of 1000 large crickets for $23.99. Here's a review.

Suppose an angry Republican had a box sent to IRS and the office got totally infested with crickets. What civil and criminal liability would he face? What about the seller?

2. Suppose a drug dealer got tipped off that he was about to be busted. He already has an attorney on retainer and knows that if he's arrested the government will confiscate all the proceeds of his criminal enterprise, so he donates all of the money he has on hand to a legitimate charity that he has no connection to. Could the charity legally keep the money? Would the answer be any different if he was a bank robber?

As to the latter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Tiede

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

the milk machine posted:

In general, yeah I think so. In Virginia, a small claim and certain other stuff would start in the General District court, which is not a court of record (no reporter or transcript unless you hire your own). If you don't like the result, you re-try the case in the Circuit Court, which has all the normal esoteric rules of procedure and evidence and such.

Just FYI, but Cook County Circuit Court, one of the largest in the country, also has no reporter or transcript available unless you bring your own reporter, but it's as real a court as any other.

The only 'record' is one done with carbon paper that is usually illegible. Good times.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

St. John Coltrane posted:

Welp, never mind. Was just served by a crazy man who sounded like he was straight up going to break into my apartment. He also said that I should make sure to show up to court because 'no one's getting evicted now under Obama.'

Whatever happened with this?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Alterian posted:

Nobody's going to point out that the age of consent in NY is 17? Its only 16 if you are less than 4 years older and you admitted you were 28.

Why bother, it's more fun to wait for him to realize that being told someone is 16 doesn't actually make them 16.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Did they finger you?

You know like point you out as someone who had reported them to HR.

Why did you specify that kind of fingering but not the other? What are you trying to hide

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

KicksYouInHalf posted:

Fair enough, it was mainly the changing of an already signed document that felt gross to me.

Words on paper.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Is the hearing on Monday or something? If so he needs to go in an explain himself to the judge. I've never seen a judge default anyone, much less an unrepresented party, if they showed up and asked for time.

I have, it's actually pretty funny.
"How come you didn't answer the complaint? It's been 4 months since service."
"I was in the hospital."
"For four months?"
"Well, no."
"Default entered."

also there is of course a whole lot of stuff going on with that case not being told to the thread and it probably boils down to your family member refusing to pay their attorney because the whole appearance but no answer thing is really weird

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 25, 2015

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

blarzgh posted:

What kind of moron attorney would file an appearance, but not an answer?!

It can happen a lot as a delay tactic but only with attorneys that know what they're doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
They're also going to be very upset with their lawyer when they get MSJed instead of the plaintiff rolling over and settling