Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What county is that in Ohio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Call the Butler County Legal Referral Service (513) 896-6671.

You should be able to talk to an attorney for 30 mins for like $50 and I think that should be enough to answer your questions.

Sorry I can not address your question though.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That is totally bizarre. What state etc etc.?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Could have had a confession of judgment. But they are rare. I don't know if Conn has them.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I guess if they think it is a bona fide occupation qualification then it is ok. That language is written into the statute.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

El_Elegante posted:

So a preacher who became ill could be fired explicitly because their church didn't want to pay the higher insurance premiums?

It appears now that religious workers in a religious institution have absolutely no federal employment protection anymore. I dont want to overstate the case, but that is what is seems like.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Go to the prothonotary and ask them how to file a pro se continuance since you are looking for a lawyer. I do not know Washington courts. The district court may not have a prothonotary. Just go to the court where the hearing is scheduled and say what help you need.

There will most likely be an attorneys office near the court house. You could also just walk into any one of those and ask for them to file a continuance for you.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 19, 2012

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Double postin'

euphronius fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 24, 2012

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

bobula posted:

I know!! They have really basic requirements listed there. As soon as I show the clerk at the office what I have though, they put on a rejection face and say it's not enough, they need this and that. I have everything the application says I need. I've been to four different local offices in the LA area and have received variations on the same theme.

If you are really poor you can try and get a legal aid clinic to help you.

Also http://www.lacba.org/showpage.cfm?pageid=167

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What state is it?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

visuvius posted:

California.

Okay thanks guys.

Hahaha yes clearly I will not be flipping out in my correspondence with the California State Bar. I figured I could let out a little steam in the SA legal thread.

My main concern was posting a google or yelp review and getting a libel lawsuit 6 months down the line. As long as what I say is truthful, I'm guessing I'll be okay.

Your representation with her is over. Don't use her again. From your story I do not see anything that was too terrible. The threatening to raise a bill is iffy, but you don't have proof she did that.

If she really did double bill you than that is a real issue though.

Here is where you do it http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Attorneys/LawyerRegulation/ComplaintForm.aspx

So to be more specific

visuvius posted:

Am I justified in making a complaint with the state bar association about her incompetence, sketchy billing practices and my general dissatisfaction? Can I post a google business review? Is that considered libel?

She wasn't incompetent, billing practices maybe, general dissatisfaction not really. I wont comment on the libel issue.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 25, 2012

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I said she wasn't incompetent because you haven't posted anything which demonstrates incompetence.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

Get ready for some stories.

You know, when I get more cases.

I was hanging out and third chairing a child support modification (which means hanging out behind the bar and looking important) talking to the client. His girlfriend's ex-husband was filing a child support modification and the client was saying "This is loving bullshit, he should totally have to support little man [his girlfriend's kid] as much as possible" and then turned around and said "But poo poo man, any chance you could get me to pay less child support? I love my little girls but it's eating me alive."

Three lawyers working on one child support modification?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CaptainScraps posted:

One was a newish attorney associated with an older attorney on the case to not gently caress it up and they decided to bring the REALLY new attorney to meet the judge.

Oh. I was going to say that seemed like overkill. Congrats on some of your first cases!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Texas people:

Does anyone know if in a divorce community property is calculated from the date the divorce complaint is filed or the date of the divorce decree?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Aqua Hamster posted:

I'd get an attorney. You could maybe get one on contingency if you cant afford billable hours.

There are many issues in here. I am going to post a link to a law. I am not your attorney and I am not saying this law is applicable to your case at all. This law may be totally spurious and not related to your issues. You should hire an attorney. http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/statutes/pregnancy.cfm
I posted that for educational purposes only and do not represent that it applies to your case.

Also what county of Wisconsin do you live in?

euphronius fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 31, 2012

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Aqua Hamster posted:

I wasn't looking for actual legal advice, just a direction in which we should start.

I live in Calumet county, the building she was working in is in Outigamie county.

http://www.wisbar.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=LRIS&Template=/CustomSource/LRIS/index.cfm&area=3

$20 to talk to a Wisconsin lawyer for 30 mins. Can't beat that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

When did he die?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

TExas Homestead rules

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/FA/htm/FA.5.htm

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

SlenderWhore posted:

I got all stressed over nothing.

Welcome to Law.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Speeding tickets are not criminal offenses.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Getting the guy convicted for a felony is probably not the best way of ever getting paid. I don't know.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Say a kid gets Social Security Survivors benefits because both his parents are dead. If that kid is adopted, will he continue to receive Social Security Survivors benefits?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This page is awesome http://ssa.gov/OP_Home/

Sometimes the Federal Government is awesome.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Dragyn posted:

My girlfriend owns a townhome in a 3-unit building. Previously the developer has controlled the association and everything as only two units had been sold.

The third unit sold and the builder has transferred control over to the property owners. Problem is, none of them know anything about creating a condo association. They planned everything out money-wise (HOA fees/whatnot), assigned officers, but can't open a bank account to deposit the fees into without a tax ID number.

I found on the Federal EIN application that there is an option for an association of this sort, but it requires one of the officers to use their SSN to register for the EIN.

If the officer who applies for the EIN leaves the association, does that leave the other two high and dry? Can this EIN be transferred to another entity?

The alternative to this is creating a business and incorporating as a non-profit, which seems like far, far more work.

They need to hire a lawyer. This is a relatively complicated transaction/issue. Spending money now will save headache and money in the future.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I am pretty sure a restaurant has to pay minimum wage regardless of tips. Some jurisdictions may have a lower minimum wage for people who get tips. The last time I was a waiter my minimum wage was $1.80 or something when the normal minimum was $5.50. I do not know for certain.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

TacoHavoc posted:

Can someone give me a rundown of how the probate process works? I'm in Maine if it matters. An older man passed away and has one surviving daughter, who is named the beneficiary of all his assets in his will. The estate is small, no property and under 50k in other assets. The way I understand it:

1) She goes to probate court and files some forms + will.
2) A hearing is scheduled
3) The hearing produces some sort of legal document giving her possession of his assets
4) End of story?

Is that all there is to it, or am I missing something?

Besides what was mentioned above there are all types of tax considerations. The daughter should hire a lawyer who will be paid from the estate.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hypothetical:

Is there any way filing a discrimination claim with the EEOC or state equivalent could jeopardize unemployment compensation benefits?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I am thinking the ex-employer would hypothetically get pissed at the discrim complaint and go monkey around with the UC which they previously did not dispute.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Serella posted:

Legal stuff is such a stressful, confusing process.

That's why its good to hire lawyers :)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In most states you can see whether a lawyer had been the subject of discipline. You could also get a word of mouth recommendation. I don't know. How do you know anything?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I use the annotated statute books for my state because I like them better than online research. Looking up cases in books though is dumb.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You should also be able to pay those online. You can in most places. http://www.stlcitycourt.org/

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why dont you call you landlord and figure out what you two agree on. Then get your landlord to send you a letter with that understanding. The contract is ambiguous on its face.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Welcome to employment law in America. (From what I can tell your situation seems pretty normal.)

Sweeping sexual harassment under the rug is bad though. What happened there?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

CADPAT posted:

Hey I just came across this thread so I'll throw this one out here for fun.

My uncle (whom I wasn't really close to or anything) just passed and left a large estate of 1.5million$, however his will was badly out of date (20 years old at least) and wound up leaving it to a girl who broke up with him over 20 years ago. He died single with no kids so his closest family is my mom and my grandma.

They have had no contact since the breakup, and he was in the process of revising the will, and had contacted his lawyer to this effect and discussed it to the point where the lawyer was in the process of drafting a new will but never finalized it.

The sentiment is that he did not want to leave his estate to this person.

My thoughts are that it would be difficult to challenge the existing will, but it seems like something worth tossing out here.

It's worth noting that my mom will most likely actually contact a lawyer. Also this occurred in Canada.

Were they married?

Also I have no idea about anything about Canadian law.

edit

Haha, me and Entris go or the same first question.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

In the USA you would most likely be up poo poo's creek without a paddle.

Who knows in Canada though.

edit

In the USA, Wills can generally be challenged by parties in interest for fraud, undue influence, lack of mental capacity, or improper execution.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 9, 2012

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Depending on when you had your last drink wouldn't taking the test earlier be beneficial?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Where is the fraud or deception in that fact pattern?