Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I'm interested to know how a court would handle a case that is really technical in nature. For example, if someone were caught producing malicious code and preforming exploits on a company, how would the judge handle hearing about proof that connections were made between IP x and Y, or a deep packet inspection proved that this bit string was being sent there? How would the jury (if there was one) be taught WTF a packet was and why people were taking a server in the back door? Would a civil suit (e.g. punitive damages from piracy) be different than a criminal suit (felony hacking)?

:science::iamafag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

JudicialRestraints posted:

Expert witnesses, a couple computer science professors would get paid an obscene amount of money to explain what happened to the jury. Yes civil and criminal suits are different (at least for standards of proof).

So the entire case could basically rest on how well some CS guy paid to come in can speed teach a judge everything he needs to know to understand if there is enough evidence to prove it?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

JudicialRestraints posted:

yes, the defense will probably hire someone to explain why what the defendant did was actually legal too.

Wow...that is scary :psyduck: I wonder why we don't have judges and lawyers who have CS degrees (we rock the LSATs) seeing as technical law has emerged so much in the past decades.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Solomon Grundy posted:

Believe it or not, around 1/4 of my practice is handling tech cases and hooking up other lawyers who are handling tech cases with appropriate experts.

I'm a CS student and I'll be going on to grad school before I am 'done'. I'm interested in forensics and cryptology (not for a living, but for fun, and I've done the DOD's forensics challenge); is there any sort of professional organization for people like me who do expert witnessing? I'd assume all you would need is a good enough degree and experience, but the other replies lead me to believe that professors get a lot of the gigs. Do big law firms (X & Y & associates or whatever the gently caress law firms call themselves) employ techies full time or contract with people to do that poo poo?

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

The Waffler posted:

A collection agency just sent me a notice of a debt that I owe because of a surgery in 2007. Due to some mistake with my father's insurance being switched three weeks earlier than it should have, my operation was not covered when the bill was sent out. We tried to work with the insurance company but they have done nothing. I do not have near the amount of money they say I owe. I live in Wisconsin. I was over 18 when I had the surgery.

What kind of options do I have in this situation?
Does this debt disappear after seven years?
Are debt collectors going to show up and rough me about?
Is a 4,000 dollar debt going to ruin my credit score?

A 4k debt won't completely gently caress up your score, but it'll stay there for seven years from (I believe) the last date of your activity, but IDK. If it is truly with a collection agency and not just a collection department of the hospital, they will usually both settle your debt and totally expunge it from your report if you hassle them and explicitly tell them to purge it. You could also send them a letter requesting all correspondence be done in writing to end the phone calls, as well as to verify your debt. If they can't verify it, it goes away, but seeing as it is both recent and from a hospital, YMMV. You could try making a thread in BFC (or reply to the credit thread) to find out options.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Incredulous Red posted:

Publish a lot. That'll help

E: And usually there are expert witness associations for certain fields.

I realize this will be a silly question, but I've read a few peer reviewed CS journals, and I can't imagine anyone who doesn't :awesome: to source code to actually read it, much less keep track of who writes on what. Do lawyers or other legal people get subscriptions to journals in different fields to keep a list of current experts, or is it more word of mouth?

Actual E: Why did you put an E when you didn't E? Huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Thanks to all who replied, that is fantastic. :iamafag: