Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What do I do about a stolen identity?

Someone used my personal information to open a credit card before my 18th birthday with Capital One. This card now shows as closed as of 04/2012. It shows on my credit report as an adverse account.

I called Capital One and they have started a dispute with the credit agencies. Is there anything else I can do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SlayVus posted:

What do I do about a stolen identity?

Someone used my personal information to open a credit card before my 18th birthday with Capital One. This card now shows as closed as of 04/2012. It shows on my credit report as an adverse account.

I called Capital One and they have started a dispute with the credit agencies. Is there anything else I can do?

I was the 2nd post on the last page, thought I might requote myself. I could use some advise about this as I don't want it to happen again and I want to clear up my current credit "history".

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
State of Georgia

I got into an accident today. The citation says I failed to yield after stopping at a stop sign. I'm not going to go into the specifics of the accident here because I will be meeting with an attorney Monday or Tuesday. I am meeting the attorney because one passenger in the other vehicle had a small cut on his mouth possibly from impact of his teeth with the seat in front of him. Another occupant neck discomfort. They hit the side of my truck with the front of their SUV.

Small fact about the intersection. There is a hill peek, higher than the intersection and impossible to see cars coming up, approximately 200-225 feet away from the intersection to the east. I was heading south to north, other vehicle east to west coming over this hill. Two-way stop north to south, posted speed limit 30 MPH.

So just a couple questions. 1) The officer made the remark,"I've seen a lot of accidents at this intersection." How helpful is this to me with myself and an observer on the scene hearing this? 2) Would it be better to pay the misdemeanor or go to court and see what a judge says about the citation? 3) Who's insurance do they check when there are passengers in the other vehicle? Everyone's or just the driver and/or vehicle owner? I ask this because I heard the dispatcher say my name and something like valid insurance then I heard another person's name followed by no valid insurance.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Sep 29, 2012

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Family member and myself both took accident photos. With two different cameras. Family member said officer made remark of not seeing skid marks. I didn't learn this fact until I called the family member an hour later and specifically asked them to go back to scene and check for skid mark.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I'm having trouble remembering specific stuff after I was asked by the officer to move the vehicle because I was getting extremely stressed as I thought the vehicle was totaled because the engine wouldn't stay cranked. The wreckers were coming at this point to get the vehicles. I remembered a lot of stuff before this though and I've written it all down. Is this going to be a problem?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
State of Georgia / Department of Health / Food Trucks

My mother is trying to start her own food truck business and her local health department, Sumter County, is stating a few things she has to do before they will even consider to give her a permit. These things that they are stating she must do, I'm not finding any where in local or state codes.

Food truck must be parked under stable cover, like a car port, and on concrete. No parking it at the end of the day on like gravel.
No use of propane is allowed what-so-ever. It must be 100% electric.(I don't see how this is even possible)
All appliances MUST be commercial grade. This includes stoves, mixers, freezers, etc.
No frying at all is allowed.

A few others as well. I gave her the idea to talk to the Health Department in Gilmer County as she is going to be there for about a week starting tomorrow.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

NancyPants posted:

I understand possession of burglary tools is a felony in some states. How do locksmiths protect themselves from being charged? How do they protect themselves from liability if they let someone into the wrong place? Do they just have to carry a ton of insurance?

It would be nice to make a few bucks on the side because I live in a building with no dedicated lockout service in NE, but I also don't want to go to jail.

As someone said in the Lock Picking A/T thread is that as long as you can show or prove you're on the way to a job or, for example, you're just sitting in your Nashville Lock Pickers, LLC. truck you're not going to be in trouble.

However, if you're in a bar drinking with picks on you, you could get in trouble with the law.

quote:

Basically, locksmith's tools are regarded as burglary tools and unless you have a "reasonable excuse" to have them upon your person at that time, you are considered to be "going equipped to steal". So for example at work, in my work vehicle I am considered to have a reasonable excuse to have the tools, but if I go out drinking and have picks in my pocket while I'm obviously not at work if the police officer was feeling particularly vindictive I could be charged with going equipped.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506679#post407521999

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
We were supposed to be closing on our restaurant today with the seller.

When the place was up for sell we offered $70,000. The seller counter-offered $75,000. We accepted and put up $1,500 earnest money. We've already dropped off the check for $75,000 and has been sitting with the Realtor for the past two or three weeks.

Closing was at 10:30 AM this morning. The contracts for the agreed upon amounts have already been signed, the final closing papers have not been signed. The seller's family is now telling the seller not to sell because they're getting too little.

Isn't there a period where the seller can't back out any more? Or is the seller always able to not go through with the sell even at the time of the final closing?

My mother, the buyer, has a lawyer. I'm just trying to see if there isn't some kind of standard agreements in contracts to prevent this?

We were only given 15 days at the time of handing over the earnest money to back out if we wanted to without penalty. After the 15 days, we would lose out earnest money and could be subject to being sued by the seller to be taken to court to uphold the contract.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Dec 14, 2012

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

woozle wuzzle posted:

Anyone know much about the social security disability process? I have a family member in some stage of being denied and appealing. I got no clue whatsoever, but that does not satisfy the family at christmas dinner where law is a single subject and didn't I go to law school. I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

Everything I've observed through family and friends getting disability is that it usually takes one or two appeals to get accepted. The friend's family called Binder & Binder after the first initial denial.

EDIT: This is NOT a referral

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 18, 2012

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Figured this would be the best place to ask.

Georgia Labor Laws

If someone is paid a salary and they don't work a full 40/80 hours for that pay period, do you still pay them their full salary amount?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Sumter County, GA

We rent out a house in town. In February, my mother, the owner, went to the tax office to find out if she owned any taxes on it. They told her she did not own any taxes. Last night, her renters brought her a certified letter from the tax office for my mother that said she owed $3,012 in taxes on the property. Yesterday morning, the property was sold by the county for taxes.

She has already called her lawyer to discuss the situation. He has said that she can redeem the house. How difficult and how long will the redeeming process take?

Edit: Also, is there any way to prove malicious intent? The renters owe ~$3000 in back rent and told my mother that they received several certified letters for her. They only told her last night about it because she brought up them owing back rent. They said something along the lines we have have bills to pay too including you. Which is when they brought up the tax notice. Its not like they only received one certified letter, they received about three or four for my mother .

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 15:51 on May 8, 2013

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Georgia - Surveillance Systems

We finally got our State Beer/Wine license. We do not have any systems in place currently. I plan on installing cameras inside our restaurant to cover tables and registers. What kind of liability/responsibility would be have if we placed cameras in the parking lot? Are there any retention requirements for businesses?

No, the Ask Me thread about surveillance systems did. I figured he wouldn't have that much knowledge about laws pertaining said systems in all the US.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jun 12, 2013

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I was fired from my job before my current one, for a reason that kind of makes me un-hireable. I currently work in my family's business, but business is extremely bad and I think in about 4-8 weeks we will go under.

I know of a position possibly fixing to open up at a restaurant through a friend of mine. I would like to apply for this position and not have the GM just throw away my application. What can I do? I need some help.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
State: Georgia

Is there a minimum tax amount that MUST be paid on beer sales for a restaurant with a license?

In short, my mother is selling $0.01 beer.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 27, 2013

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Nvm

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Sumter County, GA, USA - My mom is trying to keep goats in her backyard and I believe they are considered farm animals. She lives in the city and doesn't seem to understand that this is a bad idea. Is there something I can show her that this is a bad idea and can get her in trouble?

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 17, 2014

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Apparently, she already bought the goats.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
How much personal information would be required from both parties to make a verbal contract on a voice recording? Would both parties declaring their full names and like "I agree to these terms" be enough? I'm asking from a hypothetical, obviously it is ALWAYS best to get it in writing with witnesses.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Do I need to tell my employer that I'm taking hydrocodone? I work manual pallet jacks, electric pallet jacks, and walking stackers at work. I have to move up to 1 ton of materials, stacked several feet high, 5 nights a week. My medication makes me drowsy and nauseous. This is only for about 3 more days as I had a molar and wisdom tooth extracted two days ago along with an abscess.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I've been off work for the past three days and I haven't driven anywhere since I've been taking it. I'm asking if I need to let my employer know.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Your honor, I'm suing this gold fringed cow for rights to use his land to get to my house and for the $13 he owes me.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Korgan posted:

You may enjoy this dramatisation of an actual legal argument about the word 'photocopier'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZbqAMEwtOE

Its almost if the past two pages were a dramatization of an actual legal argument where one lawyer kept ignoring a key term in the law and bringing up his argument. While the other lawyer keeps saying "SUBSTANTIAL LIMITATION!". He keeps ignoring him over and over.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So is there any recourse for me against my employer that didn't take out appropriate amount of taxes? I have two jobs, my 2nd job paid me 3.5k for 2014. They took out $66 with 1 exemption and with an extra $10 withholdings I setup after 3 paychecks before the end of 2014.

Edit: My primary job I paid $589 in federal, $475 in state. 2nd job, $66 and $36. Again, $10 additional with holdings on the on the last three pay checks for both fed and state.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jan 19, 2015

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Literal hypothetical : Could a restaurant be sued if they served you, say Carolina Reapers(Hottest known pepper) in your food and it wasn't something you ordered?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Does it really matter? If I am the Lotus of Siam and someone comes in and orders the spiciest thing I serve, it's kind of their fault.

Although I imagine this is different if I sneak a paste of ghost chiles into some raviolis or something to gently caress with someone.

Well, since it isn't on the menu then you could argue that it was intentional since it shouldn't even be in the restaurant to begin with.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I have a co-worker who has a second job. According to him they have some kind of "Chinese" overtime there. If you work 40 hours or less you get paid normally. If you work over 40 hours they cut your pay in half for all hots you previously worked for that week and for all over time hours. Is this legal?

State of Georgia.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So what is this 19 year old Texan girl supposed to do to prove her citizenship?

If you haven't heard or read about it. Basically, parents never filed for a birth certificate as she was born at home. She was home schooled her whole life. She never went to a doctor or a hospital. Now she can't do anything really and the court system won't accept her documentation to prove her citizenship and her parents won't help her at all.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What are the vaccination laws regarding children in the State of Goergia? I seeing the ones that require them for going to school, but do all children have to be vaccinated regardless of schooling?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ActusRhesus posted:

http://www.nvic.org/Vaccine-Laws/state-vaccine-requirements/georgia.aspx

please furnish your home address so I can send you a bill at my hourly rate for plugging "Georgia Vaccine Statutes" into google.

I literally already had that pulled up. I'm trying to figure out if there are vaccination laws requiring children to be vaccinated period.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Can you please explain why you are asking this question

The mother, my sister, on multiple occasions said that the child's vaccinations were up to date. My other niece is immune compromised and sees her sister like once a month or so. My mother went and got her vaccinations, when she did this she had my niece(Non-immune compromised child) with her at the time. The health department asked if my mom wanted to check up on the babies vaccinations. The HD came back and said they were no vaccinations on record. My mother told them to go ahead and give them to her.

My sister has now revoked all visitation of the child from my mother and grand mother. My mother is talking with a lawyer now about filing documents with the court to force visitation, but this is not the place to discuss future legal matters already being handled by a lawyer that I haven't talked to.

code:
		My Sister
		  /\
Lied about	 /  \ 
vaccinations	/    \ Immune compromised
	       /      \
	  Daughter<|>Daughter
		   |
	     See each other
	   about once a month
Said sister has also said things like
"If you don't give me a vehicle, I'm never going to let you see your grand daughter" (The vehicle she wanted was the one I was using and had sunk $2,000 of my own money into)
"If you don't give me a place to live, I'm going to let you see your grand daughter" (She has lived in one of my mother's duplex rent free for several months before my mother moved her to a trailer.)
"If you don't give me X X X, "" "

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 21, 2015

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I don't care one way or the other about the whole thing. The health department asked if my mother knew if the child was vaccinated. She said she didn't know, health department looked it up, didn't hand over anything, just said she was not vaccinated.

As previously mentioned, it is against the law to not vaccinate your child in the state of Georgia unless you have a religious waiver. Which my sister(A) does NOT have. My mother told the health department to go ahead and vaccinate her. My mother and grandmother were there to update their 30+ year old vaccinations.

My sister(A) has told my mother and my other sister(B) on multiple occasions that the child was vaccinated. Sister B has told Sister A that she did not want the child around her baby(B's) if she wasn't vaccinated. Sister A told sister B that the child was vaccinated (before any of this stated).

Now, sister A has already had one child removed from her custody as being deemed by the court as being an unfit patent. This has been 5/6 year's now. She left the state after that and returned with current child last year. Said child is now just over 1 year old and from my understanding is that they won't vaccinate a child under 1. So the child could not of been vaccinated outside the state. Georgia's database of vaccinations is digital.

\/ My parents don't know what they are taking about then.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 21, 2015

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
So I'm watching season 2 of Broadchurch, is it normal for the prosecution to pick their Barrister? Broadchurch is about the murder of a boy season 2 is the trial of the murderer. The victim's family apparently got to decide which barrister took the case as the prosecution. Does this mean the family has to pay them for taking their case or is it paid for by the government?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What kind of language should I be looking for in landlord/tenant laws for disclosing pest /bug infestations?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

My lease is up at the end of the month and I already have a new place lined up so right now I'm just like "meh, whatever, goodbye lovely landlord" but I still feel like I should report it somehow so whoever ends up living here next doesn't need to freeze. I have a very high tolerance for cold so it didn't bother me a lot to just endure it but somebody else is going to inevitably rent the place. I don't really care if I piss him off at this point.

That was actually part of why I just went through it. I was cold but not like...cold cold and I really very much needed to not have to move in the middle of a college semester.

You need to get it documented somehow someway. If you move out and you haven't told anyone they may hold you liable for repairs.

You should have told the landlord the same or next day when it stopped working. Make sure you have some kind of documentation as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

Guys is it true that if I pretend to not know I have to pay taxes that I don't have to pay them??

I know this is a few pages old, but my mother loving believed this poo poo for her property taxes. She owed like $6,000. She also ownes several properties, so it isn't like she has never paid taxes before.