Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kumquat
Oct 8, 2010
In Gulf Breeze, Florida, on a year lease with my girlfriend's mother even though she is on assignment and living in Cape Coral, Florida (long story that I can expound on if it becomes relevant). We agreed to each pay 50% of the rent and I would cover utilities. After a falling out, she has decided to stop paying her half of the rent.

I understand that we are joint and severally liable so the landlord must still be paid, regardless of which tenant is doing it. My question is that since I have no written agreement with my co-tenant, only a verbal agreement, can I still take her to small claims court for the amount of money she fails to pay?

If so, what are my chances of winning the suit? What kind of things should I bring as far as evidence or documents?

She's also trying to tell me that I need to buy out her security deposit. Is this true? I'm meeting with my landlord today to talk to her about this stuff, and my co-tenant keeps trying to ask me why I need to talk to her, and saying that she can probably answer any questions herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU