Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
So if the uncle is judgement proof, could he have a case against the (ex) girlfriend for negligently exposing him to a serial violent offender? If he's going to break up with her anyway he has nothing to lose, and may as well try to get something out of the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
Schedule two meetings. Have the official one with this tedious woman in which you only discuss fairly banal stuff, and then go to the pub afterwards with the more sensible members in which you can discuss how dreadful she is and anything else you and the others would rather not have recorded.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It's always better to tell the truth.

Is this legal advice?

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
I like your cup, and feel you deserve some credit for it.

However, I have no legal advice.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
Hypothetically speaking, if you were to be arrested buying street drugs, how much of a defence would it be that you are doing it with the blessing of a medical professional? Could this cause any legal problems for said professional?

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
Doesn't one of your amendments give you the right to not answer?

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
What if the suspect refuses to request or accept immunity? Could the government just impose it on them, thereby removing their option to not testify?

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
How would a jury selection be done for trump if he ever went to a real trial? With such a polarising and uniformly known political figure, how could unbiased jurors be agreed on? Wouldn't each possible one have at least some political opinions and baggage that one side could reasonably object to?

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Well yes. Marvel handed Sony the rights to Spiderman and as long as they keep releasing Spiderman films Sony can keep the rights forever. Even Disney's army of lawyers couldn't find a way out of that contract.

I choose to believe that the op is in Disney's army of lawyers and is posting here to get advice for that very situation.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

evilweasel posted:

what is it your lawyer is doing for you

Very little, it seems.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

Nice piece of fish posted:

I think this lawyer is actually loving them pro boner

Wouldn't that make it payment in kind instead?

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

Jokes are funny. hth.

There's no legal precedent for that in this thread.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

EKDS5k posted:

No, in practice what happens is I get sent to a facility where some dipshit lackey makes me pee in a cup so he can test it in front of me. Depending on if a square changes colour or not, then they call my boss and tell him I've been naughty, and then I get labelled an addict and treated as such, complete with forced counseling and unpaid time off. For something I might have bought from a government run store and used on my own time.

Sure, my company only finds out yes/no, with no more details than that, but from that they can infer a bunch of stuff that isn't any of their business. And then use it to gently caress with my life. In my opinion they should not be allowed to do this. Seems like, according to the union's legal department, they aren't. So I'm not real sure why the vibe I'm getting from this thread is that arbitrary drug testing is cool and good, actually.

But it's not arbitrary. They have a contract with a company that for perfectly legitimate reasons do not want druggies on their site. It is quite literally their business to ensure that people who may reasonably be sent to that site will are clean. I don't quite follow why you consider this so outrageous?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

EKDS5k posted:

Right. This is why everyone is giving advice that is the opposite from the actual legal advice I got from my union rep, with no links or resources to back anything up.

The company can make whatever contract with whoever they want, but it doesn't supersede legal rights that I have. As far as I have been able to research the only time companies can force their staff to do drug tests are post-incident, upon suspicion of impairment, or randomly (and then only in very specific circumstances). "Because a customer wanted us to" isn't on the list.

I'm sightly confused. Where is the contradictory advice? Are they actually forcing you? I thought you said that the union told you that you could refuse, not that the company can't ask you to take it. As far as I can tell, that's all they've done so far so that they can adequately plan for this particular job. Where exactly is the wrongdoing?