Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
I am a lawyer, but I'm useless on anything that doesn't involve corporate or securities law. On behalf of a friend, who was doored (or something similar) in CA - what's the procedure if you're in an accident, on foot or bike, and the other person is at fault? She has about $10k in medical bills - how does she go about recouping that from the other guy and his insurance? Is it typical to hire a lawyer for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
illum non populi fasces, non purpura regum / flexit et infidos agitans discordia fratres
Are there any Australian/Victorian lawyers on here? I have a general question about Australian labour/employment law: if an employee quits and has unused annual leave, would he be paid for that unused leave? Assume that the employee has given the amount of notice required by his contract / has otherwise terminated his employment in the manner prescribed by his contract. Assume that the employment contract and employee handbook and other relevant documents are silent on the matter - I'm asking what the background Australian/Victorian law position is.

I know that no one can give specific legal advice, I'm just asking what the general background position would be. If there are some relevant considerations I haven't mentioned, please let me know. Thanks!

Ani
Jun 15, 2001

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Not a lawyer, but I did 4 years of HR.

Yes, AFAIK they should get paid. Call Fair Work Australia to confirm.
Thanks! The Fair Work Australia website confirms: http://www.fairwork.gov.au/ending-employment/notice-and-final-pay/final-pay

Ani
Jun 15, 2001
If I have a VW diesel, what's the best course of action right now? There are firms offering to represent on a contingency basis - what's a fair % for this? Does it make sense to sign up with one now, or wait to see which firm(s) end up as lead counsel in the various class actions? Does it make sense to try to sue or negotiate an offer individually from VW?

Ani
Jun 15, 2001

Captain von Trapp posted:

I'm not sure, but I think you're supposed to call J.G. Wentworth.
Excellent username/post synergy.

Ani
Jun 15, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

The only situation where this would make sense is if the property has lost a lot of value, and I thought that was a given. A bank may agree to a short sale, but if it doesnt, the property could auction for less than the loan value. Homeowners facing foreclosure who still have equity can just sell instead. We were discussing recourse and non recourse states specifically because a bank sometimes cannot auction the property for everything owed and thus, in a recourse state, may go after the borrower for the remainder.

If a borrower has cash and a property that has plunged in value, i am exploring the legality - not the financial feasibility - of allowing it to go through foreclosure in order to repurchase for less than their mortgage and thus clear the lien, assuming they can win at auction.

It sounds like the answer is, maybe.
The bank will be able to credit bid the outstanding principal amount of their loan, so you can only win the foreclosure auction if they're willing to take your lesser amount of cash in satisfaction of the loan (which you could always just have called them up and asked if they wanted to do).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ani
Jun 15, 2001

bird with big dick posted:

If you were a lawyer and a client sent you a Worlds Greatest Lover coffee mug along with a note that said they were sold out of Worlds Greatest Lawyer coffee mugs would you think it was funny or sexual harassment
if you paid your bill in full then your lawyer will like the gift