Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Scire as in scire facias?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I found one for a health care power of attorney in the statutes, but not one for anything else.

I was just searching Kansas State Legislature Online, though.

AFAIK Texas (my state) only has a statutory health care one as well.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

You're dumb as hell, Jesus

E: aren't they both liable?

What's your theory on that?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

muscat_gummy posted:

I'm in Texas and have a question about housing: can a 1/1 duplex unit (not an efficiency, an actual 1/1) be limited to 1 occupant? The landlord doesn't want to rent it to 2 people because of "noise issues," whatever that may mean.

I've done a bit of searching and everything I've found talks about 2 people per bedroom being the accepted standard and that anything above 3 people in a bedroom is illegal, but nothing about a minimum number of occupants that must be allowed. Is there such a thing?

They don't have to rent it to you if they don't want to.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

^^^ also that. If they ask specifically about something like that, don't try and hide it.

InvadErGII posted:

I am currently in the process of getting a new job. I had an arrest a few years back but was never charged with anything and the county clerk's office has no record of any of it as far as I can tell. I am currently in Minnesota but the arrest was in Illinois. Should I be concerned about this showing up on a background check?

If you weren't convicted of anything, which I would imagine you weren't since you weren't even charged, I would not worry about it.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

bigpolar posted:

No, the biggest mistake you made was believing that "evidence" and "fault" have meaning in a traffic court. Traffic court is about revenue generation. You should have negotiated for the $100 off and no points on your license.

It's like small claims but worse, basically.

I like small claims because if some JP totally ignores the law and sides with an insane pro-se claimant, at least you can take the pro-se guy to county court at law for a trial de novo and he probably won't know how to file anything correctly there, let alone function in court.

You can't appeal traffic tickets most places, can you?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Insurance is the way to go. You could sue her, but it's probably a money losing proposition.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Peggy Hill Pussy posted:

It's embarrassing to say, and in retrospect it was extremely stupid to admit to it, but it was no more than 30 minutes. Two men were standing in the doorway, and they wouldn't move if I got up and tried to leave (I tried it). They told me if I signed off on a paper admitting my guilt I would never hear anything more about it, so I thought it would be stupid not to sign it. I've never experienced anything like this before, it was extremely humiliating for me.

I've never had a run-in with the law, so excuse my extreme ignorance, but how much does it usually cost to consult an attorney in NJ, to ask them about this?

I think you COULD MAYBE (I am not your lawyer and I don't know the law in New Jersey, I'm basing this on my not particularly special knowledge of torts) make an argument for false imprisonment. It probably boils down to what your state law says about shopkeeper's privilege (ie, is 30 minutes a reasonable amount of time). Note that they haven't actually sued you yet, either. Honestly this stinks to me of a scammy way of making a quick buck.

Physical restraint isn't necessary, at least as I recall, the common law test is basically "Did you feel like you could leave if you wanted to?", and the answer here is clearly no.

I'm not really sure if the collection company would give a poo poo, they probably deal with things this shaky all the time, but you might be able to find a young lawyer who would help you out in your area for next to nothing. I would do it on principle and for the experience, personally.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 21, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

No, if they send it to you on accident it's not your fault. Just don't divulge any of their trade secrets to anyone.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

cr0y posted:

Back to my room mate drama (for reference: I rent a room in a house owned by another male). I have tried talking to him like an adult and now it's degenerating into a "clean up all the messes in the house that you have made or I'm evicting you". My understanding is that being messy isn't legal grounds for eviction, is this correct? I'm not trying to start a pissing match but I would like to know my legal rights when it comes to my landlord making nonsense threats because he doesn't like me all of a sudden.

Well, he would have to prove to a court you had broken the lease in some way that allows him to evict you, and if he locked you out somehow without going through the eviction process it would be a big deal. If someone does that in Texas, and the landlord refuses to let the tenant back in after the tenant goes to JP court over it and wins the right to re-enter the premises, they can throw the landlord in jail.

So, uh, I wouldn't worry about it. I seriously doubt that the lease says 'gosh if you make a bit of a mess you'll have to move out, so sorry'.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Alchenar posted:

So long as nobody breaks a contract, companies poaching entire divisions from each other (and their customers) is entirely legal.

Also judges really don't like non-competes, according to my IP survey professor, and generally burdens the company wanting to enforce one that involves using your skills and knowledge (as opposed to customer relationships or trade secrets) by paying your salary to do nothing for the term of the agreement.

This is my best recollection from IP survey, so take that for what it's worth. Also different states have different views on non-competes, and of course you might not have one at all, so.

edit to add: trade secrets, as I recall

Dogen fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 22, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

chemosh6969 posted:

Your lease would say and it probably says a day or two of notice, in which case you can tell them no, since you still live there. Once you're out, they can show it off as much as they want.

Yeah definitely look a the lease because the TAA leases all specifically say, but it's in the code also. I'll look it up in a minute.

edit: well, I thought it was. How odd. It's either lease controls or case law, which limits the right to entry in specific ways.

The Downfall posted:

We aren't really worried about a jury here. All I want to know is if it is legal or not to stake out this place where we think his wife is going to.

Look up your local ordinances on loitering.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 22, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

So wait, who does the property belong to where you want to put the fence?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Sure, but what would you do about it?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

King Lou posted:

I'm on the board of the building. I'm drafting this guy a letter for the board to have the managing agent send him reminding him he's not to police to touch other peoples things. He is basically a guy with a huge rage problem who thinks he owns the courtyard because he has been here since before the building went co-op in the 80's. I was just asking if legally people think he's responsible for the loss of the items because he removed them from the common area and let them go into a trash area where they disappeared from. He seemed very adamant that it wasn't his problem if they went missing after he tossed them in the trash alley. In fact he told me so through gritted teeth when I asked him about it.

Cool. I didn't mean to sound like a dick, I would be inclined to say he is under common law standards, hence my "sure". I was just genuinely curious as to what help having the information of whether he was legally responsible or not would be.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Busy Bee posted:

If a defendant posted his/her own bail when they were in custody, when do they get their bail money back? Is it after everything is completely finished or after attending a certain court hearing? Is there a way to contact a bail bondsman and pay the 10% fee to get the original bail money back?

Assuming they showed up to everything on time, they get bail back sometime (2-6 weeks, depends on the court) after the case is decided (guilty/not guilty).

Don't know on the other thing, never heard of someone trying that.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

spregalia posted:

Does it matter where the incident occurred?
Does it matter if he and I live in different states (MA and MO, respectively)? Google tells me my court may not have jurisdiction, but it is not a lawyer.
Is a verbal agreement sufficient based on the dollar amount if he doesn't repay me prior to departure (i.e. should I get something in writing)?

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Almost certainly not, but good luck getting him to sign anything based on your description of the situation

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Yeah unless you sue him in MA or serve him process in MO somehow

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Canuckistan posted:

If you're going to be recovering cash either way why not get it fixed yourself instead of waiting for your landlord to hold your deposit?

My guess is no cash in hand, whereas the landlord already has four hundred of his money dollars

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It looks like the CO constitution restores civil rights upon completion of sentence, which would count for guns as well, and I THINK keep him out of any federal gun crimes (if I remember right, that would have to be a year sentence or longer for a felony, anyway). I am not a Colorado lawyer, though.

edit: hmm there is another law about this
edit2: so normally it would be 10 years after release (including release from supervision). If his record is expunged, I don't know.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 31, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I got out of a ticket from a speed trap once when they couldn't be arsed to finish writing my name before getting back to pulling over someone else. It's up to the judge, though, they could just amend it... but I guess the judge decided it wasn't worth his time (I also had a lawyer with me). This was in traffic court in a big city in Texas, so YMMV.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Totally violates the idea of informed consent if the attorney didn't mention the possibility to Bob when asking Bob to agree to the plea (Bob is the client, not the parents)

I'm not an ethics expert.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

FreshFeesh posted:

A hypothetical question for the California lawyers of this thread:

California is a two-party state for recording phone calls; if someone were to record harassing phone calls including one where the aggressive party threatens to kill the recorder (for example), without a warning that the conversation was being recorded, under what circumstances would that recording be permissible?

Would it be viable as evidence when asking for a restraining order, but not available at trial? Or, alternatively, is the degree of threat serious enough that it would be allowed?

I think the legal system is a very interesting hydra and was actively discouraged from applying to law school a decade ago; advice I took, and though the study of law may be a fascinating one, I'm glad I didn't get into it as a career.

It's a crime. Cal. Penal Code § 632. Don't do it.

I'm not a California lawyer, but that was pretty easy to find. Pretty much the same in any 2 party state, as I understand.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

nm posted:

Basically yes.

The best way to handle it is to not pick up the phone. These types of people will tend to say the same poo poo to a voicemail eventually. Then they become my clients :(

I assume that works since they know they're being recorded at that point? No expectation of privacy in a voicemail, I guess?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

So wait, did the previous tenant cancel service and the utility left it on?

Also, was the prior tenant's lease up in April?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

In the US, it's dictated by the terms of the agreement, but pretty much in an agreement like that it stays with the company. If it doesn't say anything about the copyright being transferred back to you, assume it stays with them. Eventually, in the US, you get a termination right such that you could take back the rights or use the threat to negotiate a better deal, assuming your poo poo is relevant in 30 years.

Dunno about Australia.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Just to reiterate, that guy sounds like a controlling jerk who is trying to control you by saying 'oh I can kick you out', when in fact you are both equal with regards to the lease/apartment. Don't let him hold this over your head.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

1. This poster may not cause harmful interference, and
2. This poster must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Little Miss RKO posted:

I have a child support question. I'm now 25, and was born and currently live in Illinois.

My mom never received child support from my dad, and I don't know if a child support order was ever issued.

If one was issued, would I be able to still collect?

Talking to my half-sister, she says he owes her ~$40,000 still, but I don't know what her whole situation is, and she's in Mississippi anyway, so the law may be different there.

So my questions are:
1) Aside from obviously asking my mom, who do I contact to see if a child support order was ever issued?
2) I'm assuming that if one never was, we're SOL.
3) What would/could even be done? He's got 3, maybe 4 children including me, and I don't know if he owes the others support or not.

Why didn't I or my mom do anything about this sooner? To be honest I never thought about it growing up, and my mom never bothered. My grandma is the one who has started bugging me about calling a lawyer about it, so I thought I'd ask.

It looks like from reading Illinois statutes about it that if the order was done before July 1997 there is a 20 year SoL. So, it might be possible that the limit has expired, or is close to expiring, depending on when the order was issued (assuming that it was). It is also possible that it was issued after July 1997, so there might not be a limit.

If there is an order and the SoL hasn't run you can do a motion for enforcement, I think? Someone who remembers family law better than me will probably know.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

woozle wuzzle posted:

Child support is typically only owed to the custodial parent. So your mom could go after him, and I guess give you the money. But technically your father didn't owe you the support, he owed your mother, so you don't have the legal standing to pursue it. (Unless illinois has something else going on)

I thought the money is owed to the child and that's why agreements that say 'no child support' that are only negotiated between parents are invalid, but family law was never my strong suit.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Did you get an answer last time?

My gut on this is probably there is really no recourse other than bad press for the company. If you are pretty sure you have a good case that it's not you, maybe talk to local media, investigative reporters, etc? They love this local government incompetence/corruption crap.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Oh what's this

MCLA 554.610 posted:

Sec. 10. Failure by the landlord to comply with the notice of damages requirement within the 30 days after the termination of occupancy, constitutes agreement by the landlord that no damages are due and he shall remit to the tenant immediately the full security deposit.

You might want to quote that in your letter thingy

As others have said, with that kind of language there is not sense in quibbling with them over what's reasonable because it sounds like they hosed up and agreed you owe nothing by being lazy

edit: did you give them a forwarding address within 4 days of the termination of your tenancy?

Dogen fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 1, 2012

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I also always remember what my IP survey professor said, which is that usually suits to enforce non-competes frequently end in a settlement where your old job ends up paying you a salary to not do anything if enforcing the non-compete is keeping you from using your skills.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I'm probating a will in Texas right now :toot:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Is it worth it to take someone to small claims court over $250, especially considering it is causing a bill to be late and affecting the plaintiff's credit? Can you possibly get damages for the credit issues or is that not worth it?

This is in Georgia, for reference.

I don't think so, but I'm not a Georgia lawyer. The $250 alone isn't worth it, and in Property Crime in the Information Age (class in law school dealing mostly with federal law) we discussed how there is not really a good remedy for hosed credit, because we spent a day discussing identity theft during the wire fraud section.

Having said that, perhaps a Georgia attorney or someone who knows more about consumer law has a better answer.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Sypher posted:

Another concern I have is that if I do bring it up and they don't comply and I go to DoL, do I have any rights that protect me in case they just cut my hours? Restaurant industry is notoriously known for this. Instead of firing, they just cut hours substantially forcing employee to get a new job and quit.

The answer to this is most likely in your state's labor code, can't really answer this without knowing the state.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Sypher posted:

Michigan

It looks to my non-Michigan law eye like your state has a whistleblower protection act, and that you would fall under the "Payments of Wages" section. Mich. Comp. Laws § 408.483. It says they can't fire or discriminate against you based on that, and I know in other areas of employment law (unemployment) loving with your hours too much can be considered an effective firing.

I found this here: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/WH43_Employment_Wage_Complaint_Form_R6_29_05_141360_7.pdf

It does say that you forego som civil remedies by filing with them (eg you probably won't be able to file suit), but it's pretty much this or going full-out with a court case, I think, unless someone from Michigan with more employment law experience knows better.

My advice would probably be to call the wage-hour department and see what they say, I would imagine this would qualify as an unauthorized deduction if you can match up your own records to your pay stub hours and show a discrepancy.

Also obviously, if you think you want to sue them, call a lawyer. Probably call one anyway.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

1) When does your lease say it ends?

2) What does your lease say, if anything, about tenancy converting to month-to-month?

3) What does your lease say about termination (eg required notice)?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

SkunkDuster posted:

Girl gets pregnant at 19. Not sure who the father is, so the birth certificate says "UNKNOWN". Girl is on various government assistance (EBT, WIC, Medical, etc) programs for 10 years. After 10 years, the girl is still on government assistance and a paternity test is performed and the father is identified. Can the state of Minnesota go after the father to recoup the money from government assistance given to the mother over the past 10 years?

Not a MN lawyer.

So is the father a legal father, or is there just a paternity test floating around? The guy has to be adjudicated as the father first: In MN, a parentage suit can be brought by a government organization responsible for the child's welfare in the case of no presumed father up to age when child reaches majority+1 year.

Now, assuming paternity is established, a support order is part of that determination according to the statute. It looks like there is a 2 year look back, if I am reading it right.

Mix in this: to qualify for public assistance, you have to assign your right to receive child support to the state.

So I would say the answer is, MN could seek whatever the mother is entitled to, which is some proportion of support costs for the past 2 years, plus support going forward (until the mother gets off assistance, if she does, in which case the money would go to her).

That's my guess from a trip through the poorly organized MN code.

Dogen fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Have you searched here?

http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/process/search/

If this is a money making operation you need to spend a little money on a lawyer to protect yourself, for sure.