Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

Thanks to all!

I wasnt sure about going into specifics, He initially claimed i owe him 700 dollars to go back to work, in the end he said that the weeks check he owed me of 430 dollars would not cover the 530 plus some change dollars in damages. He factored not only the cost of the part but added labor to it. My last paycheck was 430 dollars and some change.

I from the beginning told him I am a novice trying to gain experience and actually took a pay cut from my last job to work for him as long as he taught me as sort of an unofficial apprenticeship. My job title and pay scale were both as a "lube tech"
I was also more or less a shop assistant (read bitch) and did pretty much all he asked of me sometimes while being insulted and cussed at for 10 bucks an hour. I was his only employee.

Honestly, if he sues you over 530 dollars, I doubt he has a lawyer.

You're probably getting screwed out of 430 bucks, but the time investment you would put into this pro se would probably exceed that money. I know 430 can be a very large amount of money, and there is the principle of the matter, but my opinion is that it's best to let it go, see what the state does, and not worry about hpthe rear end in a top hat using you over that amount of money.

If you do want legal counsel, I suggest you contact your local Wisconsin legal aid office. Some of them handle employment law. They may be able to give you better advice than we can.

Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

jassi007 posted:

Don't take this the wrong way but are you a lawyer? I love the thought of lawyers watching judge Judy on their lunch break or something.

I watch judge Mathis.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Funambulist posted:

Yeah, I set up a gmail filter to catch anything from their email address. It only archives their email in a special folder, because they've got a history of making false accusations on people to harass them. So I want a paper trail.

Lately, though, the emails have been getting a lot more frequent, and honestly a little creepy. "I'm praying you'll come to your senses and realize I've only ever wanted the best for you", "I love you so much, I have always loved you, let's take a vacation to Italy" type of stuff that makes me feel really uncomfortable. I'm thinking I should probably definitely call up a family lawyer on Monday.

family law is only one of my office areas, and not a large one, but i can't see you getting a restraining order or anything based off those comments. She'd need to be violating a prior "no contact, ever" order in my opinion.

Contacting a lawyer is a good idea, just be careful before you spend thousands on a lawyer on this.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Funambulist posted:

Alright, is it at all possible to get one of those? For more info, this is a parent who lost custody of me for violent and erratic behavior, plus lying to authorities. I have to imagine that would be taken into consideration.

In my opinion and in my jurisdiction, no. It's annoying, and I'm sure it's upsetting, but if you're over 18, it's probably not bad enough to get a court order. If you came into my office, I'd sympathize but I wouldn't take your money. Find a lawyer who gives a free or cheap consultation in your area. Good luck, for real.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

jassi007 posted:

Curious say a person works from home sometimes but is expected in the office 2 out of 5 days on average. How would that factor in? This is just a hypothetical.

Expected because its traditional or because he literally has to be there to perform some task?

It really depends, even in the hypothetical sense, what the essential job functions are.

Hot Dog Day #91 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Mar 26, 2014

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

rizuhbull posted:

I have a family law question. Been staying temporarily at grandfather's place for about one month. He's become more and more verbally abusive and aggressive and I'm worried it'll hit a breaking point. E.g. yelling at me, following me around the house, calling me this and that while I'm trying to mind my own business and get out of here asap. I've called a couple local organizations for help with transitional housing and am waiting to hear back but in the meantime I'd like to know what other goons would do in this situation and what are my options? Can he just up and kick me out on the spot if he feels like it? What would the police do if called? Would what they do depend on what transpired? If things got physical for example. I'm living in south-west Florida, am 22, on disability, going to college soon, have two cats with me and the three of us are staying in his garage.

Generally speaking, yes he can. You don't sound like a tenant, you sound like a guest. The police tell you to leave, or say its a civil matter he'll have to evict you.

You should find a new place to live. Even if he has to evict you, do you really want to stay there?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

1) Does an e-mail count as written notice under Texas law?

2) Should I send him a follow-up letter by mail (certified mail?) with my forwarding address and a reminder about the deposit?

3) Does the 30-day clock start from when I e-mailed him our intent to move out (which he acknowledged) on Jan 17th, from the end of our lease on February 28th, or from the day I e-mailed him my forwarding address on March 11th? Or has it not started at all if e-mail doesn't count as written notice?

4) I know if I wanted to be a stickler I could claim that if he doesn't send me the deposit along with an invoice of deductions in 30 days he loses the right to keep any of it, right? I don't really want to do that though (I assume that would take a court battle that I so don't want to do). Can I tell him it's okay if it's
a few days late, or would I romise my rights somehow by doing that?

1. Probably, but there is no case law on this specific issue in this context.

2. Always a good idea, but I'd say if you do, the thirty day clock resets.

3. It starts the day you give him notification of your forwarding address. So maybe march, maybe whenever you do a certified letter.

4. Technically he is presumed to have acted in bad faith, but its an easy presumption to rebut if he's not a poo poo bag. And yes, you have to sue him, which will mean he'll probably get a lawyer and you'll need one too.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Arcturas posted:

Eh, $2500 for a security deposit could probably be handled pro se in small claims court if things really got heated.

If you're on good terms with him, give him a call and ask him when he's planning on sending it out. Then send him an e-mail and letter (keep a photocopy of the letter if you're paranoid) confirming your understanding of the phone conversation.

The fun part is, if he does retain the deposit in bad faith, the damages are multiplied by three (so 7500) plus mandatory attorney fees.

The bad part is, justice court (Texas small claims) have a jurisdictional limit of 10000 and the rules of evidence and procedure specifically do not apply.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Dienes posted:

My lease ended at the end of March. At the beginning of February, I called the office asking about going month-to-month for a month and a half after my lease ended. They said they would send me a renewal letter and gave me a rent quote. I dropped off a notice to vacate 60 days in advance.

I never received the letter. I called the office 4 times in 4 weeks to ask for the letter, confirm they received my notice to vacate, and confirm my month-to-month rent. Each time they quoted me at $955 and said they'd leave the letter at my door.

I dropped off my rent the night of March 31st. There was a note on my door late afternoon of April 1st with the renewal letter, a letter confirming receipt of my notice to vacate, and a note saying "To clarify any confusion, you also need to pay $60 for pet rent on top of the quote we gave you." The renewal letter still has 955 typed in, with someone scribbling "+60" in pen on top of it.

I think its bullshit to give me the same quote 4 times (even when I asked if that covered pet rent, etc.) and delay sending me the documentation to review for over a month, and then ask for more money. Is this something I can fight? Or am I in the wrong?

Typically a month to month lease that starts after a prior lease has expired retains the same terms as the prior lease. So rent should stay the same. This is contingent though on the contents of the lease (does it address this possibility?) and your state.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Sefer posted:

I'm not a lawyer, but my for-profit company has the same e-mail policy; I'm given to understand it's increasingly common these days. We're a records management company, and making sure our clients are correctly applying retention is a big deal to us, so I can only imagine that someone checked very thoroughly before we implemented the policy and that it's legally sound.

In the event that you were sued and your e-mails were potentially evidence in the suit, you'd probably be required to make an archive at that point. Anything that was 90 days before the suit (and therefore destroyed before you were alerted that it was evidence) wouldn't be able to be used against you.

I'd definitely use it against them. Given how (relatively) easy it is to store and backup email these days, it's probably unreasonable to have a 90 day retention policy. In a trial, I'd point out that they're probably hiding something.

Electronic discovery is a big deal, and your company may have a duty to keep accurate records; intentionally creating a short retention period of internal communications could be seen as spoliation of evidence.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Hey dancesafe guy - you ever think that ravers who are asking you to test their illegal drugs are going to be wary about signing a waiver that says "on this day, i had you test my illegal drugs to make sure i don't die."?

I'm sure you have noble intentions, but work through this company you seem to know about, not on your own. I'm not as pessimistic as others re: you going straight to jail, but if you're working with a large non profit, I'd say your legitimacy goes way, way up if you do get arrested.

Look for a criminal lawyer in your town; don't pay more than 200 for an hour long consultation.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Part of my job is giving advice and information to indigent folks. Sometimes they assume that because i talked to them about their problem I'm their lawyer. We have attorney-client privilege, but i don't serve as their attorney usually. I'm also explicit that what they tell me is privileged, but the relationship does not go beyond that particular conversation.

I'm always scared an O'Keefe type rear end in a top hat is going to try to sting my firm.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

woozle wuzzle posted:

No, neither.

But if there is no adoption, daughter would get no social security benefits if he dies or becomes disabled (regardless of marital status). That can be a big deal.

In texas, if he helped raise the child or lived with the child he actually could have standing to pursue custody or visitation. The standing rules can be surprisingly lax, but to actually get primary custody you have some more hoops to overcome. The point is, someone who really really wants some possession of their stepchild may be able to get some visits.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

areyoucontagious posted:

Thanks guys. People in this hypothetical situation will have to look at the lease and see what needs to happen. If the landlord wanted to claim damages beyond the deposit, is it better to have a lawyer handle things or could they just send the ex-tenant a bill first?

In my experience as a Texa attorney who handles tenant cases, it is likely that you'll get a bill in the mail if the damages exceed the deposit. If you don't pay the landlord probably won't take you to court but will probably report the debt on a credit report and rental history report.

point: its unlikely you'll be sued. If you are, or are worried and rich, definitely go to a lawyer.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

Whether or not two parties had a contract, oral or written, is a question of fact.

Plaintiff: "We had a contract for the sale of the business!"
Defendant: "No we didn't!"
Jury: "We believe you, _____________."

This is a really good way to explain that. Blarzgh is good.

I had a trial yesterday on this exact issue. My client was always going to lose, I told her she was going to lose, I tried to get her to settle because it was a pure fact question for which we had no evidence except "No I didn't!." She lost.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Kramdar posted:

Question!

If I want my wife to be able to legally sign documents on my behalf, do I just need to grant her power of attorney? I'm 34, I don't plan on passing away. But I am currently working out of state and my father did just pass away. I didn't plan on returning until work has completed. I don't even know if I will need to sign anything while I'm away, but I'd like to have her readily available if my John Hancock is needed.

If it's simple stuff, like Blazrgh said, just have her sign it, it should be fine.

If it's complex, like selling real property, then get a poa from whoever is cheap. In my state I can meet a client, advise on the law, draft and execute the poa in about an hour.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

Theres a judge in district court here in one of the northern counties of Texas who was partners with one of the attorneys in town for 20 years before taking the bench; He hears that guy's cases all the time. I've also had a judge who worked for opposing counsel for 10 years look at him and say, "Sorry, Frank. They got you on this one." and grant our motion.

We call it "getting welled."
Us: "... and that, your honor, is why the law demands you grant us the relief we seek."
Judge: "....... Weeeeellllllll, counselahh..."

My small north texas countiy has similar issues. It. Really sucks when you know judge is wrong, but it's within his discretion.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

nm posted:

No competent lawyer will appear in court for $100 and actually argue something.

I do this for my ultra poor legal aid clients, with the goal of teaching the landlord that their tenants have rights blah blah.

Then again, it's debatable whether a legal aid lawyer is competent though.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

That case raises every red flag: old, drama, every other lawyer "doesn't get it".

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

There really is no liability. They can ban from using their services again. They can maybe sue you to recover the dog. But unless you were somehow leasing the dog, you owned it. They can't sue you for anything.

Maybe there is a clause in the contract that creates liability and has liquidated damages, but i doubt it.

They'll probably be pissed at you, and I wouldn't try to adopt from them again, but even if they sue you, they don't really have a case for any damages.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

show up at their place of business with the dog and a bill of sale for $1.00

Tell them they either sell you the renta-dog free and clear, or you're leaving it there.

I just can't believe they set up a dog rental agreement.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Sefer posted:

Many of the lawyers in this thread feel more comfortable answering things phrased as a hypothetical, even if they are obviously not hypothetical.

As a lawyer, I'm under no illusions that saying "hypothetically" and then going into specifics somehow makes it hypothetical. Besides, almost very thing we say in this thread is really just legal information. We almost never give actual legal advice.

Half the time it's "lawyer up you're hosed," or "no practical legal recourse"

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

tehloki posted:

How do you propose a person would stop a dog from barking

That's an old joke. The answer is to kill the dog on Sunday.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

euphronius posted:

Legal aid clinics are not for people with money. You usually have to be at fed poverty line or only like 20% above it.

Stop being a cheap bastard.

It's generally 200% of the federal poverty line. I usually use about 10000 per member of the household as the income restriction, but there are charts online of the exact numbers.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

euphronius posted:

200% sounds crazy high.

All the ones I am used to are 125%.

If the clinic does not accept public and United Way funds they may be able to go higher I guess. Free Legal Aid for the Middle Class.

Mine has two grants: one from the state which has a 125% cut off, and one from the federal government (legal services corporation) which is 200%.

Of course, someone who is pushing the upper limits and has a simple problem, we usually decline to help. Most of my clients are super poor.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

I have a legal question:

I had a lady call me the other day and say "legal aid won't help me with my divorce because we are still living together." She can't afford to move out of their trailer home and he refuses to leave.

She is definitely below the poverty line, and I don't think she is confused about what they told her. Is this a common practice? I didn't know Legal Aid even did divorces. Why would this particular guideline be in place?

If it matters, its Brazos County Legal Aid, and I think they're funded by the County Bar Association. They may have other grants, but I just know about the Bar Association from when I practiced there.

BCLA is really small and can only take so many clients. They probably fall into the "not serious about a divorce" category since they're still living together. Then again, we always look for reasons to turn down cases. We get about 30 applications a week in my office alone right now, and we usually can only take 3 or 4 new cases, so sometimes we just gotta make a decision: do we help the lady whose husband beat the poo poo out of her, or the lady who still has a place to sleep?

About 75% of texas legal aid cases involve family law, most of them divorces or sapcrs. And we're all technically private nonprofit law firms, so we turn down cases for the same reasons yall do: crazy clients, lying clients, lack of time to take on new cases.

And then some of us, like me, are in pseudo civil rights positions. I was hired to handle cases where particular federal laws are violated by municipalities across about 100 counties, and then to try the case and appeal it if necessary. So I'm very selective with the cases i take, since I'm doing "impact litigation." But I also have a few standard family law, landlord tenant, consumer type cases thrown in so I can get to court.

But the big three legal aids in texas have lots of discretion on who we take and what we do. It's actually a fun lawyer job about 30% of the time.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

areyoucontagious posted:

There is a complicating factor. The tenant was sharing the space with the landlord (who is also the owner of the property). Over time, items belonging to both parties became co-mingled. Without consulting the landlord at the time of move out, the tenant just shoveled poo poo into boxes and bailed, and happened to take a good amount of the landlords stuff. For example, say we're talking about kitchen stuff, and the item in question is a plastic spatula given to the landlord by their great aunt on her deathbed.

Say this situation occurred in Texas.

The police will almost certainly ignore it and say "it's a civil matter."

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Things a lawyer would have done:

Had the "evidence" admitted.

Is that enough for your idiot friend?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

If I'm a lawyer and it takes me 6 minutes to order my sandwich from Subway, do they owe me $23 at the end of the order for giving them legal advice?

Who charges 230 per hour? That's an odd number.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

What's this? A lawyer who doesn't know everything about traffic ticket law? WHAT AM I PAYING YOU FOR?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

nm posted:

Note that Minnesota has quite a few more protections re: employment and criminal law than most states, so you may have more recourse than in most states.

I'm a legal aid attorney and I recently gave a presentation on expunctions to a poor community. I had lots of questions about how to get a conviction expunged. In texan, almost nothing qualifies for an expunction.

Hot Dog Day #91 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 1, 2014

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

My understanding is that here it's basically only if you can show that there was no probable cause for the charge in the first place, right? And also if you were a minor, maybe?

Of course I guess you could always ask for a pardon from the Governor.

Yeah, if the grand jury no bills you can get an expunction. My counties da office is too busy fending off civil rights suits to ever actually contest one though.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Esroc posted:

It definitely states in bold letters on the last page "This is an attempt to collect a debt." I've read the pamphlet backwards and forwards and there is not a single mention of a court date or anything pertaining to going to court. Only an address to an attorney and a blurb reading "defendant is required to serve written defenses within (20) days."

It has a stamp for my counties circuit court with a signature from a deputy clerk. However a cursory Google search and glance at my local courts webpage reveals that no deputy clerk with the given name works at my county's courthouse.

The pamphlet was delivered to me via a lady claiming to be a process server. However I did not speak to her as she only dropped by my dad's house and gave the paperwork to my dad to give to me and left. I was under the impression servers had to give such things directly to the defendant?

This is all seeming a bit fishy to me, but regardless I'm still going to the court on Monday to have it looked at.

Does it say xxx vs xxx on it? Does it have a cause number? Does it list a court where it was filed?

To me, it sounds like a lawsuit, but you can verify it on Monday with the clerks office. Most lawsuits when filed will not give you a court date. And few scam companies would actually hire a person to come by your house and hand you a scam pamphlet.

Legal aid may help you (mine doesn't really touch student loans) but there are also private student loan attorneys, some of whom take cases on a contingency fee basis because they counter use for you. Look at the national association of consumer advocates member directory and find someone in your area. They're helpful especially if this is a private student loan and not a federal student loan.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

blarzgh posted:

Legal question: In March last year, Texas added its own bastardized version of a federal 12(b)(6) motion to dismiss.

After a year, I have yet to see it used, most likely because 1) it must be filed within 60 days of the allegedly baseless claim being filed, before any substantive discovery can occur, and 2) the prevailing party MUST be awarded costs and fees. So, if the judge denies your motion, you have to pay.

My question is: does anybody else's jurisdiction have one of these? If they do, it used regularly? Are there similar penalties?

Its frustrating, because it would be a great tools for cleaning up the courts and reducing litigation costs (you can make the motion against individual claims or defenses), but most judges are reluctant to just toss a case out without letting it develop. So there's always a high risk that your client gets hammered for a few grand right at the outset of litigation if you try.

I had one filed against me. The judge denied. I asked for fees. The judge denied. "Appeal me." I loving hate my town.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

What sort of stuff do they take into account? Like, my roommates never clean up after themselves; is that enough to evict them, even though they lived here before I did? Or does it have to be something with clear damages? Is this more of an equity thing than a legal thing?

It has to be a lease violation. The written lease controls, but some things will be construed as not being a part of the written lease but implied.

Today I had a trial on whether a dog being out of a car for thirty seconds is a lease violation. Honest to god the judge took it under advisement.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

MonkeyBot posted:

OK wife just got a summons about some unpaid student loans in Minnesota although the bank and jurisdiction for the summons is North Dakota. Is this something we need to engage a lawyer for? Or is it more of a cost-benefit analysis? She's currently unemployed with no plans for employment any time soon due to the cost of childcare and we just recently got married. Can a judgement against her affect my finances at all?

I think that should be general enough to avoid trouble but hopefully enough information to get some basic questions answered.

Did the department of justice sue you or an organization like "national collegiate student loan trust III?" If it's the doj, we'll, that's a really big deal.

Did you actually default on the loans? What's the amount?

Yes, it can and will gently caress your finances and credit. If you have assets, the loan company may be able to seize them (varies by state). A judgment against you in another state may be perfectly valid in your state.

If you have actually been used, you should almost always get an attorney.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

MonkeyBot posted:

Not DoJ, a bank in North Dakota. I do believe these are private student loans and not federal. She has defaulted on the loan, something like $10000 after fees and interest and all that poo poo. I know the default and all that can affect her credit but can they come after any of my assets as her spouse? I assume no but poo poo doesn't always make a lot of sense.

The bank is seeking a default judgement, I'm just wondering if getting an attorney can help lube the loving any or if we should just basically respond and let them get the judgement.

Are you sure you got sued, or is this a demand letter or something that looks like a lawsuit? I see the later all the time, but when I see real lawsuits over student loans, it has almost always been sold once or twice or more to debt buyers.

An attorney can: find problems with the lawsuit, find problems with the chain of ownership of the debt, bring counterclaims, and negotiate lower settlements. They can sometimes make the entire thing go away. Student loan attorneys and anti-debt-collection attorneys can assist, but they're likely going to want money up front, unless there's something egregious.

If you have a few thousand, I recommend you look for an attorney with National association of consumer advocates (naca) membership new you and get a free consultation. They'll at least tell you if it's something they can help you with, probably (or pay 100 to find out for sure or whatever). Or if you're poor enough, look for legal aid.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Avvo is lovely because people don't post "yeah, i did the crime, my lawyer told me they have this much evidence against me and a trial is very unlikely to succeed. I got pissed at him case mah rights, made him take it to trial. We lost and I was convicted, even though the lawyer fought very hard on a losing case. I should have listened to him, he was right. Highly recommend!"

I have no advice for you other than the fact that you seem to mostly admit that you possibly over the limit hints strongly at you needing to plea out.

Scraps/mudd/blazrgh, what's a first time dwi in dfw get? Deferred plus 100k in fines?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

1gnoirents posted:

I sincerely hope you aren't saying $100,000 in fines. :ughh:

I'm basing my expectations on this, except for the fact it seems people get those 3 days dropped for more fines and a very long probation. So seeing 100k is kind of alarming.

Sorry, that was a joke about the ridiculous court costs and fines that people get assessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

euphronius posted:

I went back and read your old posts and you never identified anything the lawyer did that was horrible or incompetent or unlawful. Ok maybe not getting bills out in time, but that happens to all lawyers.

So . . . yeah, forget out this incident and move on with your life and hopefully for the lawyers in your area you will never need another one.

I also read the old posts. He really does need to let this go. You were all over him back then too.

Also lol at a lawyer posting a cease and desist on yelp.