Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Pabstsmear posted:

If we end our contract with the property management company (we are on a month to month), their job is done and they have no real claim on the house. At that point, who are we paying rent to? Does the landlord still own it? Does the bank? Is there any way to work this to get a rent-free month or two out of this?

First of all, I ain't a lawyer and the only reason I know this is because I listen to Handel on the Law a lot, which is a question-and-answer radio show headed by a lawyer who specializes in surrogate parent rights, not real estate. That said, when the house is foreclosed on, the bank will own the property and you can renegotiate your rent with the bank. The bank actually kind of wants you to stay, because if you leave no one will be taking care of the house and it would be harder to sell. So when the foreclosure goes through, tell them you'll make the house nice and pretty for potential buyers in exchange for seriously reduced or zero rent. Of course, when the bank finally sells the house, you will probably have to vacate or at least pay a reasonable rent for the area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

TheFrailNinja posted:

I would be asking my band director these questions but a friend of mine said that he would tell me that I'm a student and it wouldn't be right to give lessons as a student.

That's BS. I'm a band director and I hereby inform you that it's completely legitimate for "students" to be teaching other kids. Does your friend think that professional musicians don't take private lessons themselves? Because, ah, they do.

As far as money goes, in Southern California at least $15-25 per hour is a standard young teacher rate. If you go on to get a degree in your instrument, or you build a nice big resume of gigs and private teachers, you can charge more and more. Most of my peers (bachelor's degree in music) charge $25 for a half hour or $40 for an hour. Most of my professors charged more like $50 for a half hour and $85-90 for an hour.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

This is CA, but I spoke briefly with a lawyer about this issue and he told me that while I'm entitled to triple damages if the landlord is late and won't pay up, I was still responsible for any damage to the place. So the landlord owed me my security deposit back in full, but could also send a bill and expect payment for property damage. Luckily my landlord clearly did not know that and I had no interest in letting them know.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Incredulous Red posted:

Usually the codes are written so that they have to bill you within a certain period of time after your lease.

The way the lawyer stated it, it sounded like the only restriction was that the landlord could not use my security deposit to pay for it after 30 days, she would have had to send a bill and make a huge fuss and take me to small claims court instead. Which kind of amounts to the same thing. But it's certainly possible that I am misremembering/misinterpreted.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

DenialTwist posted:

I live in Orlando,FL the house in question is in Ocoee,FL...

It's my understanding, as a layperson who is not a real estate lawyer or any kind of lawyer, that when banks foreclose on homes they find it in their best interest to maintain current tenants until they sell the house. That way, there is someone to keep the house pretty and tidy while they try to show it to potential buyers. If you were to move in there, you could probably get a few months of free/cheap rent if you made a deal with the bank.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Okay, let's look at this logically. Say her goddamn hand falls off because she didn't go to the doctor. (Why the gently caress would you not go to a doctor for this, by the way. There are free clinics.) Then she's screwed with lots of medical bills. You think her work or worker's comp is gonna pay for major medical care? That probably wouldn't have been necessary if she had gone to a doctor ASAP?

The longer she avoids the doctor, the more hosed she becomes medically, legally, what have you. I should add that I am certainly not a lawyer and I just read this thread for funsies but this is common sense.

edit: Why is your roommate taking legal advice from her dumbass coworker

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Retardog posted:

Legal question in West Virginia.

A friend of mine got divorced last fall and has a 50/50 split on child custody. She's also a teacher. This summer while school is out her ex-husband is planning on leaving the kids with their grandmother while he's at work on his days. She's wondering why he wouldn't leave them with her other than him being a dick. Can he do that? Is there anything she can do? Or is it just how the law works?

Not a lawyer, but why couldn't he do that? Is it so terrible that the kids get to see their grandma three times a week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Kalman posted:

So, if you know that's going to happen, ask him to testify narratively.

Is this something that the prosecution can bring up to a jury? "He's testifying narratively, obviously his lawyer could not rely on him to tell the truth, obviously he's lying to you." ?