Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

some texas redneck posted:

Dude in a car

That would be a private investigator the insurance company's attorneys hired to take pictures of any activity that would suggest there's no actual injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Holy Diver posted:

Wouldn't a strict "loser pays" system address both of these problems by reducing the financial commitment required to file legitimate lawsuits while also discouraging frivolous long shot cases?

Three bad side effects from that:

1. Fewer settlements. Why settle if there's the chance that all your legal bills will be paid by the other side?

2. More gouging/inefficiency. Many legitimate attorneys pare down the bills that they issue to clients as a courtesy, in an attempt to provide a more reasonable amount. If they know the other side is probably footing the bill, why not engage in lengthy, pointless discovery to run up that tab?

3. Increase in bankruptcies and/or penniless plaintiffs. Want to screw with the other side? How about leaving them with a completely uncollectable judgment against someone who won't be able to pay their rent, much less the legal fees on top of whatever the other side happens to win? Some firms would probably come up with a deposit system to be used in case of uncollectable amounts that would just do an end-around your proposed system.

Other not-quite-good but not-quite-bad side effect: lawyers get more money.

Edit: There have been many attempts to compare the American system to the English system, and this article does a better job than my half-assed attempt to explain the positives and negatives - http://www.wcl.american.edu/journal/lawrev/35/toran.pdf

Abugadu fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Mar 14, 2011

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

NarwhalParty posted:

I just purchased renter's insurance but there is no information on any precautions I should take if I ever need to process a claim. I don't have any receipts for any of my belongings, so should I take pictures or write down serial numbers of my electronics just in case?

Yes. Both.

Edit: And hang on to any receipts if you have them.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Anjow posted:

Copyright question, not specifically for any country since it's just out of interest.

http://torrentfreak.com/saudi-airli...Torrentfreak%29

That's a story of a Saudi airline showing a pirated film onboard. Could they actually be okay in doing so? If they'd sought and paid for permission to show the film, will the source of it matter if it's the same quality as the one they paid for (not HD or whatever)? Or compare buying a Windows license key but using pirated installation media.

Probably wouldn't be OK under the Berne Convention, to which Saudi Arabia is a signatory. They're obligated to provide the same protections to other country's works as they give to their own, so assuming they have basic protections for films, it'd probably be illegal.

As to permission, it would largely depend on the wording of the license/agreement. Courts tend to give a lot of leeway to companies negotiating copyright licenses. Without specification on the quality of the film, the airline might be able to get away with showing a crappy pirated copy, though I don't know why they would if they got a legitimate license. If the film quality were too crappy, though, or the film was altered, the licensor may have an action against the airline (see, e.g., Monty Python successfully suing CBS (I think) for the heavily-altered-and-no-longer-funny US versions of their Flying Circuses).

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

quote:

We therefore conclude that there is a substantial likelihood that, after a full trial, appellants will succeed in proving infringement of their copyright by ABC's broadcast of edited versions of Monty Python programs. In reaching this conclusion, however, we need not accept appellants' assertion that any editing whatsoever would constitute infringement. Courts have recognized that licensees are entitled to some small degree of latitude in arranging the licensed work for presentation to the public in a manner consistent with the licensee's style or standards.

Concurrence posted:

In the present case, we are holding that the deletion of portions of the recorded tape constitutes a breach of contract, as well as an infringement of a common-law copyright of the original work.

The Lanham Act/moral rights stuff at the end was not the holding of the case, even though it was what made the case famous.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

I don't think "lovely rip" constitutes editing per Gilliam.

I would disagree.

Any version of the movie "Killers" copied via handicam complete with the silhouettes of the backs of people's heads, people coughing, babies crying, and at least one audience member giving a 'oh no you didnt' would likely improve the movie so substantially that it would be entirely different from the shitshow that is the original movie.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Cheesetits posted:

...US territory... because it is technically a different country with a different legal system...

you might have to come a little more specific with a location, as all US territories are part of the US and use the US legal system, unless you're considering Iraq as a US territory.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

I'm not barred in Texas, and Texas can have some freaky rear end laws regarding criminal poo poo, so this is generic advice rather than a legal opinion/advice. You'll need to get a TX lawyer for the actual answer:

Like nm said, if it's an actual US territory, he's probably hosed.

If it's a foreign country, he might be ok.

In Small v. United States, 544 U.S. 385 (2005), which was a case involving a guy with a foreign conviction checking the 'no' box when applying for a domestic gun permit, the US Supreme Court said Congress generally legislates with domestic concerns in mind, and they adopted a presumption that Congress ordinarily intends its statutes to have domestic, not extraterritorial application.

The Court noted that foreign penal convictions differed from domestic penal convictions in many ways, thereby creating an inconsistency in the American notion of fairness. Hence, the Court held that the phrase "convicted in any court" referred only to domestic courts and not to foreign courts.

HOWEVER this decision has been under legislative attack, both on the state and federal level. I cannot stress enough to get an opinion from an attorney barred in Texas if that's where he's applying, it's worth the extra effort to avoid any potential problems down the road.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Cheesetits posted:

Yes, it is defiantly a US territory, and not Irag (or Guam for the record). From what he has said, when he signed his plea deal his lawyer there told him not to worry about it, and it wouldn't matter back in the states. The probation people over there also told him his probation is limited to the island, and would only be in effect if he returned sometime in the next three years. But then again it is a pretty hosed up place, which is why he was looking for some kind of confirmation.

If it is indeed a domestic felony, and 100% under the US legal system, then I am assuming for now he would have to answer yes in the felony check box for things like job applications (both federal and non-federal), and federal financial aid, correct? I doubt he will be buying any more guns in the next few years. I will also tell him he really needs to talk to a lawyer here.

Thanks for your help!

Yeah, my best guess as to what the lawyers/probation officers there meant was that their systems probably aren't currently linked in to a federal database, so it might not pop up automatically if he got busted in the states or if someone did a simple online search.

That said, if that's the case, these offices tend to get federal money for upgrades every few years, and at some point down the road, it's highly likely that they will be linked in, and that the conviction would pop up on a routine background check. And like nm said, if it's a false declaration under oath, there's possible criminal/perjury charges.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Choadmaster posted:

Before the Cops on the Beat thread was closed in D&D, there were occasional absurd stories posted that related to this, where cops would gently caress some poo poo up and then the PD/city/state would say to the victim, "You're SOL, we have immunity." Here is one case, for example, and the article includes a (very) brief description of the origin of sovereign immunity.

This is not an absolute thing, though, since if the cop goes way out of bounds you can go after him in a civil suit under Title 42 USC sec. 1983.

http://familyrightsassociation.com/info/law/title42sec1983/

They're not the easiest cases to pursue, because there's a lot of quirks and loopholes to the law, but I've seen them happen.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

hatelull posted:

Short Time Listener, First Time Caller. My name is hatelull and I have a question about Divorce/Custody agreements in the state of Texas.

TL;DR version: If a CS amount is audited, can it be applied retroactively?

To wit:
... However, I just want to make sure I'm not going to get bent over because I've had this job for X amount of time and I should have been paying X amount of dollars during this period.

I'm not licensed in Texas, but I do child support work and I'm fairly certain that no state allows retroactive modification, based on federal law. They may come in and file a motion for modification that would be effective as of the date of filing, but they can't go back and alter anything before that, unless the previous order stated on its face that it was temporary (which you'd probably know if it did because it would have been set for a hearing for a permanent amount). And again, no idea if this is applicable in Texas, but there's usually something that allows a state to review the amount after 3 years time to see if a modification is warranted.

Edit: adding footnotes for your research: 42 U.S.C.§ 666(a)(9) (1994, Supp. IV 1998, & Supp. 1999); 45 C.F.R. § 302.70(a)(9) (2000).

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cse/pubs/2002/reports/essentials/c11.html

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

NancyPants posted:

I understand the burden is lower for civil suits versus criminal charges, but wouldn't the retailers have to demonstrate some sort of loss in order to collect damages? I can understand if you see someone stick something in their purse or their pocket, but if someone forgets something on the bottom of their cart or something similar, shouldn't the retailer have to show some sort of intent if the person brings it right back when it's brought to their attention?

All this talk about trying to make would-be thieves pay for the cost of their security measures sounds like bull crap considering the vast majority of retail theft is done by employees and the other greatest retail loss consists of time clock abuse.

If you carve out an exception for the bottom-of-the-cart excuse, you're going to have a ton of people using that as a shield, despite their intentions. And while employees do huge amounts of retail theft, that doesn't justify any change in punishment to shoplifters.

Look at the 'secrets of your job' thread, most stores have policies where they're not allowed to even touch someone who's shoplifting, and they get hammered.

On the other hand, these statutes disturb me because they're written as if what's being done is an alternative to prosecution, when instead they have no criminal protection written in. You could pay the civil request and then still be on the hook for retail theft, if the government has the resources to go after you. And the 'attorney's fees to be heaped on top in case of trial victory for plaintiff' without an equal section for the defendant is a green light for abuse of the process, which the WSJ article describes in detail.

But of course, you don't get anyone opposing these bills, for fear of being labeled in favor of 'shoplifter's rights', so you get this heavy handed poo poo. There's a happy medium to be had, but this isn't it.

Edit: Also this seems like something lawyers in my jurisdiction would fap to if they knew about it, it sounds like extremely easy billing.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

NancyPants posted:

At least if they pressed charges, you could take it to trial and they'd have to provide more proof, right?

Somewhat more proof, but in a civil case, they'd only have to show that it was more likely than not that you shoplifted, a 'preponderance of the evidence'. This means over a 50/50 chance. Whereas in a criminal proceeding, the state has to show that you're guilty beyond a reasonable doubt, a much higher standard.

I accept that torts like conversion or trespass to chattels have potential for punitive damages. To me, the over-the-line part is the state passing laws to greatly tip the balance in favor of the stores, especially with the attorney's fees provisions. It's creating a situation where people do the civil equivalent of Alford pleas, paying out the settlement because they're risk averse and the possibility of being on the hook for massive amounts of attorney's fees dissuades them from going for a fair trial.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

By 'redact' he means erase it entirely, re-framing the question in a way that isn't a flat out admission of guilt that could potentially be found by a prosecutor and used against you.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Lieutenant Dan posted:

Hello lawgoons! I'm in a kind of legal pickle and could use some advice.

When I was 14, I went to see this lovely dentist (think Dentalville and its ilk), who claimed I had 23 cavities and needed to spend all my parents' insurance money RIGHT NOW to fix my decaying maw. Now I'm 19 and have my own thing going, I go to a real, good dentist, and have learned that acquiring 23 cavities in a year is an impossibility. The new dentist and I have concluded that the old one drilled holes in my teeth to bleed money from my parents.

Since the old dentist flat out refused to give my dental records to my mom, I decided I would go to his office as a Legal Adult and demand my records. Surprise, his office has been shut down by the Las Vegas Courts.

How do I get my medical records now? I'd like to eventually press charges against this guy because I have exorbitant medical fees from having to replace his lovely fillings, but I can't prove he's a fraud unless I get my documents.

I'm not barred in Nevada, but a lot of people in your situation might file the lawsuit now, and use the 'discovery' process of the lawsuit to demand the medical records that they won't turn over.

Edit: for more clarification, I'd recommend seeing a Nevada personal injury or med malpractice attorney, and explaining the situation, because it sounds like the clock is running rather quickly on potential claims you may have.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Nero posted:

My girlfriend was in a car accident about a month ago and the other party is alleging that she is responsible for significant injuries, far above the amount my girlfriend's insurance would cover. We were planning on getting married this month. If we get married and then she gets sued and loses, can I be held liable for these damages as her husband? We live in Missouri and the accident occurred in California.

I'm not licensed in either of your jurisdictions so this isn't legal advice, just a personal opinion.

The term you're looking for is 'community debt', and in general it would have to be incurred during the marriage in order for your assets to be at risk, and her actions must have been for the benefit of the community or for family purpose. So while it's unlikely, you may want to look into doing a prenuptual agreement as to covering your assets, and you'll probably want to get an attorney in whatever jurisdiction the case is being filed.

Also, to give you a sliver of hope, your insurance company has a duty to defend, which means that they'll also have an attorney on her behalf (though they'll send you a letter saying you'll want to get one for yourself), and they'll be pressured to settle for the policy limits. When I worked insurance cases, it was extremely rare for someone to pursue the case past the policy limit.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Medical Sword posted:

can you talk yourself into legal liability for something? For example, I was thinking about josh hamilton (the baseball player who killed a guy by throwing him a ball as a souvenir, if you didn't know). Obviously it was an accident, but if he swore up and down he was actually trying to kill the guy, would it be possible to arrest + convict him, assuming he maintains his intention to kill the fan during his trial? would the case even make it to trial?

In general, yes you could talk yourself into bigger problems. The US crim system is set up with roughly 4 types of mental states for crimes, each with correspondingly greater penalties, stretching from being criminally negligent to premeditating/committing intentional acts. So for example, the worker who accidentally leaves an open manhole that someone falls in would not be punished as badly as someone who intentionally comes over, opens the manhole, and tries to conceal the opening from sight, despite the fact that the end result (someone falling in and dying) is the same.

With the Hamilton case, if you start with the hypothetical that Hamilton intended to cause the fan's death by throwing it short, and claimed to have done so, (and was not found insane/incompetent), it may still be difficult to convict because of the grey area around whether Hamilton caused the death. So Hamilton intends to kill the fan, and the fan dies, but does a poorly-thrown ball that tempts the fan to overreach and fall have enough of a causal connection? There might be an arrest, based on public outrage alone, but probably not enough of a connection to convict, as it might be a tough sell to a jury to say that it was forseeable that a poorly-thrown ball would cause the fan's death. U.S. law is incredibly murky on this point, as there are competing doctrines: first, negligence of the victim is not supposed to be used to excuse the conduct of the defendant. However, if the actions of the victim break the chain of causation, it may relieve the defendant of liability. Confused? Good.

Hamilton might, in your hypothetical, be subject to a civil suit, though, as the standard to be proven is less.

In tort law, the foreseeability test requires only that the general type of harm suffered by the victim was reasonably foreseeable, in the sense that the harm was the same as or similar to the type of harm that the defendant’s conduct unreasonably risked. The particular specific manner in which the harm occurred does not have to be foreseeable.

In contrast, in criminal law, the foreseeability test is more exacting, requiring that the specific manner in which the harm occurred must be reasonably foreseeable.

So the case might make it to trial, but the prosecutor would have to convince the jury that it was reasonably foreseeable that the fan would fall over the railing to grab a poorly-thrown ball. Given how little that happens, I would predict an acquittal.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Super Delegate posted:

On my return trip from Germany to the USA, Delta airlines canceled my flight due to a non functioning starter motor. It looks like the European Union's Regulation 261/2004 entitles me to 600 euro as compensation. Delta has the regulation posted on their website as well.

Delta is arguing that the cancellation was caused by extraordinary circumstances, which is a reason to deny compensation.

Regulation 261 does state:

The regulation doesn't define extraordinary circumstances but I did find a ruling by the European Court of Justice that says:

I'm speaking with a Delta executive assistant who stated in am email that:

At this point it doesn't look like I can get Delta to provide compensation unless I take legal action. Would I have a chance at winning this in small claims court? As a CT resident, I could start a small claims case for $75 + ~$30 to serve notice to Delta's agent.

I'm not barred in CT, this isn't legal advice, etc.

While it looks on the surface like it's a goddamn slam dunk, since it would be obvious to anyone with a multicellular structure that they hosed up, I can see how they might respond to a small claims suit.

My guess would be multiple motions intended to drag poo poo out, motion to dismiss for lack of jurisdiction, which they'll lose but don't care, motion to remove to the regular court, expert witnesses, etc.

They'd have a decent amount to lose if they actually followed the law, so they'll try everything they can to fight you.

So while you'd probably eventually win, unless they somehow convince the court that it's your burden to show that the particular type of engine trouble was not extraordinary and in which case you'd need to get an expert to testify on your behalf which will cost you butt-tons of money, they're going to make it as painful as possible, so be prepared for that.

Summary: you're likely right, they're wrong, but they have the money, ability, drive and lovely justice system to make sure that you're going to bleed every step of the way and probably end up paying more than you recover, not because they hate you but because it would set a bad precedent that would probably bankrupt them if followed in good faith. Unless you happen to have connections in the media who would publicize the poo poo out of this.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Super Delegate posted:

Do you know why small claims court would have jurisdiction? I think Delta would rather settle before the court date than pay lawyers to fight this.

Depends on the state, but small claims court usually has jurisdiction if the amount being sought is under a certain amount, i.e. $10000 or so, and if there's personal jurisdiction.

In my experience, big companies will usually fight these, because they believe that if they settle one, word will get out and there will be a flood of claims. I'm sure there are some out there that would settle, but I haven't worked for one.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

goku chewbacca posted:

Questions about past due child support.

I'd appreciate any information about my rights and abilities to collect, as well as how I might go about gathering the information to receive judgement and place a lien, garnish, or seize or intercept an inheritance.

My two younger siblings and I are all now adults, ages 20-25. Our father has not paid child support since at least 1994. Arrested for non-payment more than once. I assume he's always made under the table wages and never owned a home. Never maintained a permanent address, probably sheltered by his mother when he wasn't drunk in a gutter somewhere. According to my mother, serving papers was always impossible. He and his mother are in north Georgia. Parents' divorce and custody originally took place in Georgia. Since ~1994, my mother, siblings, and I have lived in my mom's home state of Pennsylvania. AFAIK, hasn't been any contact with him since. TLDR: Father made no child support payment for 3 children EVER. Always has been impossible to collect or for state of GA to enforce.

Good news is that my father's mother (call her Grannie) died in early 2010 and her 2nd husband Segundo (not my father's father) died last month. I don't know if this is odd, but 5 days before Grannie died, the home was sold/transferred for $0 FROM the husband Segundo to Grannie, then again on the same day for $0 to a Revocable Living Trust with Grannie as trustee, mailing address c/o my father's sister (call her Auntie). I guess it's possible transferring the home to a Living Trust on HER death bed was to shelter assets from Segundo's potential medical costs or to help Auntie care for Segundo. My mother thinks it's possible she was trying to exclude Segundo's kids from a previous marriage from inheritance, as she alluded to doing so many years ago when we were all still on court ordered visitation. TLDR: Father will likely have been or soon be a beneficiary of a Revocable Living Trust holding a lakefront home worth $300k-400k.

Is non-payment of back due child support still an arrest-able crime once the children are all 18+ adults? Who enforces payment? Is it now a civil matter?

So far I have the parcel/property info and the property tax (all paid up on-time) info from the County's website. I'll be requesting the 2 DEED BOOK documents detailing transfer from Segundo to Grannie's Living Trust. Is the Living Trust and/or Grannie's will public information?

Once I determine how much Father will be getting from the proceeds of the sale of the house, what do I have to do intercept or seize? Can I put a lien on the property since I assume he'll become part owner before it's sold? How do I avoid alerting involved parties of what I'm doing? I'm afraid Auntie would have Father declared incompetent so the assets never truly become his.

There's a lot going on here, and I'm poo poo on the subject of trusts, so I'll just address the child support part of it.

1. Is the case a Georgia case, a Pennsylvania case, or one that was initiated in Pennsylvania and attempted to be enforced upon in Georgia? I say this because since you're all over age, it seems like there might be a statute of limitations problem. I'm not barred in either jurisdiction, so this is not legal advice and I advise you to check with a local lawyer, but it looks like Georgia doesn't have a SoL, and Pennsylvania has one of the shittiest ones in the 50 states, 6 years from the date of each installment. Under UIFSA, the US Code act that determines how interstate cases work, the applicable statute of limitations is the one that sucks the most.

2. Is there an order for child support on the case?

3. Dad's never been served anything on the case?

4. Usually your local child support office can help, I would go in and explain the situation, they may have info on the history of the case.

5. Basic stuff, before you get a lien you would need to get a judgment. You'd need the child support court to get you a judgment on the arrears, and that may be contingent on multiple things, such as serving Dad, having an order on the case, and the statute of limitations issue.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Marxist Socialite posted:

Just to be clear, I don't actually know the person. She's a friend of a friend, my friend told me about it but refused to do anything about it because she doesn't think it's actually illegal. That's another problem is that I'm not even sure who I would report it to.

Kind of sounds like I can't do anything about it but this is just something that people aren't just fired for, but are shamed in the paper and investigated by the police for.

I'd guess that the friend of a friend is incredibly desensitized to death, given the close working proximity. Perhaps point out to your friend that if the pic ever got back to a relative of the deceased, there might be some hurt feelings.

Or just let it go, since it's not really something that will bring the community to its knees, unless they dressed the dead body up in like a clown costume or are doing some sort of zombie reenactment with it, in which case, you should post the pic.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

935 posted:

Lets say you get a ticket for reckless driving. Within days you're flooded with fliers from law firms begging to represent you for a small fee (typically ~$500) and claim that 90% of their clients get their charge reduced. They'll even appear in court for you so you can stay in bed!

My questions are, (1) how do they get your address and mail you the fliers, and (2) what do they say to the judge to get the charge reduced? I imagine they go to the bench and cite a court ruling from 1980, or cite an obscure law or something, and since it got one person off it should get another person off. But I know this is likely not the case. Also, (3) why can't Joe Schmo go to the judge and do this himself (leaving out the lawyer as the middleman) and (4) why can't the lawyer get the other 10% of his clients off the hook?

1. Listed on the ticket which becomes public info
2. Will meet with prosecuting atty, say 'hey can I get this reduced to a Speeding w/ x points? Also are we still on for BW3 at lunch?'
3. You are not on for BW3 at lunch w/ prosecutor.
4. 'hey can I get this reckless reduced, even though Mr. Client has had 13 recklesses this year?' 'No.'

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

nm posted:

As a prosecutor, or former prosecutor (I'm not exactly sure what child support counts as), would you have lunch with a traffic attorney?
Hell no. Especially is if he was buying that might be an ethical issue.

Here, any contested tickets with legal representation requires notice to the prosecution division prior to trial. I learned this includes being an attorney yourself and just contesting your own ticket, according to the former traffic referee who had some interesting opinions.

Also, as a child support attorney, I'm no longer a prosecutor, I'm a persecutor.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

nm posted:

People care more about not paying child support than jail or children, T/F?

Not entirely. I'd say 70% of my cases have decent effort on the part of the non-custodial parent, 25% don't care about anything, and 5% are actively trying to do anything they can to make the other parent's life hell, even if it means jail time or loving up their kids' lives.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

SlenderWhore posted:

(Disclaimer: I have liver problems so I've never actually drank before)

I don't understand why anyone would refuse a breathalyzer test unless they were drunk?? I mean, it's what ten seconds and then you're in the clear?

Unless you were drinking, of course.

In some states, you're already arrested for DUI by the time the breathalyzer issue comes up, even if you subsequently blow a 0.00% (though that result would probably help getting the charge dismissed). Failing the breathalyzer is an additional DUI charge with the separate element of driving with a BAC over .whatever%, so no real need to rack up a second misdemeanor for no reason.

Second, breathalyzer accuracy issues. The jury is probably going to treat the % like it was issued from God, despite a host of problems that could have arisen. I worked in a jurisdiction where they hadn't run diagnostics on one of their machines in a 3 year stretch from 2004-2006. That, combined with the wildly varying results you get given your particular body weight, metabolism, etc. can mean that you could feel completely sober and still blow over .08, or feel rip roaring drunk and blow under. They have little charts to show how many drinks/hour gets you where at what weight, but I have yet to see anyone with it on their person out at a bar, along with a stopwatch.

Third, the administrative penalties for refusal are usually less than what criminal charges you'd get for failing (nm's jurisdiction I think is an exception to the norm), so it's a hedge bet for those that are risk-adverse arrestees.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Dudebro posted:

I don't think it's scire. It was in the context of "if they accept your legal siri in the case, then...." or "the siri of the case seems to be...."

Honestly, it could just be a mispronunciation of "theory". I'm trying to check on that now. It was definitely not used with other Latin words.

Most likely a mispronunciation of theory. Was the speaker German?

Also, anyone who tells you how a Latin word should be pronounced is talking out of their rear end. All sorts of differences between classical/Romanticized Latin pronunciation, and just because Black's Law settled on one given way doesn't make it correct.

Per exemplum:

http://sobek.colorado.edu/~mciverj/WP_Certiorari_120301.html

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

BirdOfPlay posted:

A law question I've been itching to ask about DUI/DWI's. And before anyone asks:
THIS IS PURELY HYPOTHETICAL

Ages ago I read an online rant/dissertation about drunk driving laws and how they violate Maranda (self incrimination being the major one used throughout). It could've been written by kook of the "Income Tax is Illegal" variety (hell I feel like the guy called himself Dr./Prof. DWI/DUI/Drunk Driving). The hitch is that this cat was a practicing attorney/lawyer specializing in DUI cases. The main thing he focused on is how, even though the various procedures used by cops (breathalyzers being a big one) target DUI enforcement were patently illegal, the Supreme Court (or District courts) found a "DUI exception" to the traditional rule of law.

Regarding the first part of this post, as I think the second part got answered sufficiently, I know that many of the states I've researched for a motion regarding Miranda defenses to non-Mirandized police interrogation in the context of a DUI will decide the issue on whether or not the evidence received is 'testimonial'.

What this means is, asking you questions that you provide a verbal response to, such as reciting the alphabet, etc., may (but not necessarily) violate the Miranda protection, as it is eliciting a testimonial response, as the government will attempt to use your answer against you. So the police will usually avoid those types of tests, and instead do SFSTs, Standardized Field Sobriety Tests, which are not question/answer, but rather Physical Challenges, such as a Horizontal Gaze Nystagmus test, the walk-the-straight-line test, and balancing tests, which do not involve verbal responses and so in theory are 'non-testimonial' under the Miranda analysis.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

May want to throw in there that the company has (1) the duty to fairly and promptly investigate the claim; and (2) the duty to pay the claim if it is valid. It's part of the "good faith and fair dealing" obligation that all insurance companies are subject to.

In my experience, insurance companies will lowball until the point a lawyer gets involved, since it usually costs them nothing to wait. If you're not getting anywhere fast, you may want representation.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Diplomaticus posted:

Not my particular area of law, but my understanding is that legislatures moved away from this due to difficulty in defining "impaired". For instance, what if you can have 10 beers and pass an FST? You can argue you aren't impaired. However if the standard was intoxicated, it becomes a simple question of "Is there X amount of intoxicating substance in your body?"
If you pass the FST, that's some drat good evidence of you not being impaired, and you probably won't get arrested unless you have an open container or brag about doing 21 shots aloud.

However, passing a FST is tough for perfectly sober people.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Lord Gaga posted:

I passing like not wobbling at all or what? Cause I have no nystagmus and can do the heel to toe, 10+ steps thing fine but I might wobble a bit with arms down looking straight ahead.
Depends, it could be viewed as a fail. That's where other factors come in; if you then get arrested, submit to a breath/blood test, and blow .00, you'd probably get the whole thing tossed. But a .19, and you might have trouble convincing a judge that a wobble isn't a fail.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

prussian advisor posted:

Not to mention that in some states driving with an unlawful blood alcohol level is a separate crime even if you aren't impaired.

True, but you usually don't get to the breath/blood test without having hosed up in some other way first.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Incredulous Red posted:

Do FSTs in Guam somehow involve coconut crabs? Because that would be spectacular

Gotta juggle 'em.

Usually the only problems here are that people are always wearing flip-flops/sandals/zories, and claim the trouble on the heel-toe or any balancing test was because of that.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

nm posted:

Your cops couldn't ask them to take them off?

I don't think you want these things running around without the leash.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

nm posted:

I'm sure flip flops are impenetrable for them.

Cuts through metal, so you may as well be wearing flip flops for all the good it will do you.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

nm posted:

Even my steel toed flip flops will be foiled.
Guam is still less scary than Australia. I spent time in a hostel that had a spider the size of my head (golden orb) that lived above the fridge. This was considered normal as it is only moderately poisonous.
That hostel was awesome by the way.

We have brown huntsman's, but they're not too common. Mostly we get smaller orb spiders, about the size of a half-dollar.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

50 pounds of bread posted:

I have a question regarding California sexual harassment law.

My fiance was recently victim to hostile work environment variety sexual harassment. She first went to the owner and offered him an opportunity to settle outside of court. They hired a P.I. who they say advised them that the bosses conduct wasn't sexual harassment because he did it to both men and women, therefore it wasn't discriminatory.

Is there any salt to this claim, or are they trying to call our bluff? The evidence is very clearly sexual harassment, and she has multiple witnesses corroborating her claims. Their only retort to the accusations were that it's not illegal because he does it to both sexes.

Tiny bit of salt to the claim, but might not be enough to protect them, depending on the nature of the harassment.

Not a CA-barred lawyer, and haven't done much work in it. That said,

In order for conduct to rise to the level of unlawful sexual harassment in violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the conduct must be
(1) unwelcome,
(2) sexual in nature,
(3) it must have occurred because of the complainant’s sex, and
(4) it must be sufficiently severe or pervasive to create an objectively hostile environment.

#3 is the hurdle; but it all depends on the conduct, nature, and targeting.

From the Department of Veteran Affairs, OEDCA, Vol.4 No.3 Summer 2001 digest:

"A further word of caution is in order. We do not wish to suggest that an individual may inappropriately touch employees and get away with it, as long as he or she does it to both males and females.
Although several appellate courts are of the opinion that it is not sexual harassment if the conduct is directed equally against both males and females, the
Equal Employment Opportunity Commission has held, at least in one case,
that “equal opportunity harassers” are not immune from Title VII’s prohibitions.
At the very least, such behavior would constitute serious misconduct, for which
the wrongdoer could and should be punished."

Also, the quicker you move on this, the better, as time passage before claim = bad.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Redfont posted:

She did not unfortunately. She's dirt poor so she doesn't have insurance on anything, though I imagine this incident will convince her to try to get some homeowner's insurance.

Check with this too:

http://www.ag.state.il.us/victims/cvc.html

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Little Miss RKO posted:

I have a child support question. I'm now 25, and was born and currently live in Illinois.

My mom never received child support from my dad, and I don't know if a child support order was ever issued.

If one was issued, would I be able to still collect?

Talking to my half-sister, she says he owes her ~$40,000 still, but I don't know what her whole situation is, and she's in Mississippi anyway, so the law may be different there.

So my questions are:
1) Aside from obviously asking my mom, who do I contact to see if a child support order was ever issued?
2) I'm assuming that if one never was, we're SOL.
3) What would/could even be done? He's got 3, maybe 4 children including me, and I don't know if he owes the others support or not.

Why didn't I or my mom do anything about this sooner? To be honest I never thought about it growing up, and my mom never bothered. My grandma is the one who has started bugging me about calling a lawyer about it, so I thought I'd ask.

I'd start off by calling your local county child support office.

If an order was ever issued, and Dad is in Illinois, you're probably good to go, as Illinois does not appear to have a statute of limitations on child support judgments, and child support payments usually become judgments as operation of law.

If Dad is not in Illinois, UIFSA (the laws governing interstate cases) comes into play, which muddies things up a bit. Usually it means you'd have to file the case in his jurisdiction, but you may be able to apply in yours.

But, if no order was ever issued, that may be problematic. The Illinois office would probably have a policy on this, as to whether your mom would be able to proceed long after you've reached the age of majority. I couldn't figure it out by skimming their laws, but any CS office in the state should know offhand.

If everything actually got through, what you're looking at is getting a judgment on arrears, and a payment plan. My guess would be that he'd complain to the judge about his expenses, and since you're not currently a minor, you'd be getting something like $100-$200/mo. And by you, I mean your mom.

This is not legal advice, I'm not barred in IL.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

SkunkDuster posted:

What about a hypothetical situation where a guy gets a girl pregnant under the bleachers at a football game. They lose all contact after this, then she shows up 15 years later with a paternity test and a child support case. Would child support generally start at this point, or would he owe 15 years of back support?

In my jurisdiction, the child support would start at that point, as the child is over the age of 6 and paternity had not already been established. If the child were under 6, or the GT were done early, dad would be liable for all the years.

I would guess that each state does this differently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Dogen posted:

Not a MN lawyer.

So is the father a legal father, or is there just a paternity test floating around? The guy has to be adjudicated as the father first: In MN, a parentage suit can be brought by a government organization responsible for the child's welfare in the case of no presumed father up to age when child reaches majority+1 year.

Now, assuming paternity is established, a support order is part of that determination according to the statute. It looks like there is a 2 year look back, if I am reading it right.

Mix in this: to qualify for public assistance, you have to assign your right to receive child support to the state.

So I would say the answer is, MN could seek whatever the mother is entitled to, which is some proportion of support costs for the past 2 years, plus support going forward (until the mother gets off assistance, if she does, in which case the money would go to her).

That's my guess from a trip through the poorly organized MN code.

Also not a MN lawyer, but looking this up independently, I came up with the exact same answer.