Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuji
Feb 25, 2006
Only you can set you free
I have a question about the California Vehicle Code.

My friend moved from one county to Santa Clara County last August and she failed to notify the DMV of her change of address within 10 days. She says that she didn't know about that requirement, but I know that pleading ignorance won't save her.

My question is: How likely is she to face consequences for her late notification and what might those consequences be? The text of VC14600 that establishes the 10 day limit only describes the limit itself. The only thing I was able to find about any punishment is this page that lists a $214 fine for late notification. Does anyone else know more about any potential consequences or their likelihood?

Also, the DMV's "Change of Address" form itself omits any questions about length of time since the move. If she just snail-mails the form, how likely does anyone think that there will be trouble?

Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuji
Feb 25, 2006

Incredulous Red posted:

Was she actually cited for something or what?
She has never received a citation for this.

That said, she did get a speeding ticket last year and the officer asked her whether the address on her license was current. She doesn't remember what she said, but the officer let it go. When this happened the address on her license was technically wrong: at that time she had moved out of her parent's house (the listed address on the license) and was living full time with a friend.

The above was the only incident having anything to do with the address on her license.

Yuji
Feb 25, 2006

Incredulous Red posted:

She should just go to the DMV and change her address. I'm assuming she got the summons that was sent to her parents' house in re: the ticket a year ago.
I don't remember if she got anything in the mail from the speeding ticket. She just went to the court house the officer told her about and paid the fine.

Would the consensus be to just mail the Change of Address form with all the information and leave it at that?