Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

After sitting through some training classes this past week I can understand why less people are volunteering for this stuff anymore, good lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Firefighters in Dubai get some pretty cool toys:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2017/jan/23/dubai-firefighters-aided-by-water-jetpacks-video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99P9GlqLDec

I'm not a firefighter and while that looks awesome, it seems wildly impractical in practice.

how on earth does the operator brace against the backpressure like that. This cannot possibly be a 125 gpm flow.

e: yeah it's clearly not, I shouldn't have stopped the video.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Do you float when wearing bunker gear? That seems appropriate for the OSHA thread.

lol OSHA in the middle east

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Do you float when wearing bunker gear? That seems appropriate for the OSHA thread.

lol OSHA in the middle east

Lol actually, it turns out that you do. You can even sorta snorkel with it but a few feet down the pressure differential would likely be pretty uncomfortable and the demand valve would basically stop operating correctly.

Good to know if you work around bodies of water or something where there's a risk of falling in while wearing full kit, but don't expect to be able to do water rescues or something with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VMkH9N1ELk

e: also as you might expect, the thermal layer in your bunkers gets real heavy when it gets waterlogged.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

HiroProtagonist posted:

Lol actually, it turns out that you do. You can even sorta snorkel with it but a few feet down the pressure differential would likely be pretty uncomfortable and the demand valve would basically stop operating correctly.

:eng101: SCUBA!

And Gresham does (or used to do) a lot of experimenting and cool stuff. My old chief at a department I used to work at was their training officer. Great guy and incredibly smart. He now goes around and does a ton of teaching world wide on compartment fires and basically writes the fire behavior section for the IFSTA FF1/2 book.

http://www.cfbt-us.com/ed_hartin.html

Edit: His blog hasn't been updated in a long, long while if I recall correctly. His duties as a fire chief have had him plenty busy. However, he is an INCREDIBLY smart guy and is always willing to answer questions you might have about fire behavior.

windshipper fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 19, 2017

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
We didn't jump in with SCBA on, but my experience was that I had to take my boots off and fill it with air and then use that as a floatation device. We didn't make our collars tight or do anything else special to make the ppe hold air better.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
My coworkers young boy recently passed away from cancer and he really loved everything to do with firefighters. He wanted to be just like his dad.

If anyone is working in the next few days, it would be awesome if they could add in his son, Trucker Dukes, onto their riding list or rms or whatever it's called and post it to social media under #TruckerRidesWithUs. The next few days are gonna be pretty stressful for him because there is gonna be several public celebrations of life and the actual funeral, and I think it would help him and his family.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Sometimes you have to marvel at the fire service's obsession with tradition and nostalgia. Some guy on Reddit asked if he could refurbish and use his mother's old leather helmet which looks like this:

I've seen the same thing when we tone out some of the more rural departments from around my area. We had a guy show up with a leather helmet that looked like it belonged in a museum. No suspension or padding of any sort on the inside, just straight leather.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Our department recently changed all of our older duraglass (or whatever the material is called) into these new Cairns helmets. We demo'd several types and the chief picked the heaviest one at 53oz.

But i rather have leg room. Our stations new Pierce engine doesnt have it. We either have to tuck our feet behind our knees or put them up on the quick access shelf in front of our jumper seats.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Those poor boots.... :(

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
We had a small brushfire in the morning, could only do a quick water and brush cleaning when I took that picture.

Okay, I'll admit that they usually look only slightly better than that. For some reason we have been told not to polish this specific model.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

The Gardenator posted:

We had a small brushfire in the morning, could only do a quick water and brush cleaning when I took that picture.

Okay, I'll admit that they usually look only slightly better than that. For some reason we have been told not to polish this specific model.

What do you have?

And I was actually thinking, "Those poor boots," because jfc the only thing you're gonna do on or with that cabinet is smack your feet against it getting in, getting out, and in transit. Just about the only thing I'd ever put in that bottom cabinet is my feet. It's so close that it's not worth putting anything you need to get out and get ready while en route in there - you have no room to pull it out.

Edit: Also I'm sorry that you're stuck with manual suction. :(

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
I will look at the model of boot when I get back on shift.

But yeah, I hate the confined space of the two jump seats. However, the center seat is a non jump seat, and has about 4 more inches of room. I have no idea why they spec'd out this rear cab this way.

Our ambulances have the motorized suction, but they are run by a private company (AMR) so we don't get lots of practice with them.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

windshipper posted:

What do you have?

And I was actually thinking, "Those poor boots," because jfc the only thing you're gonna do on or with that cabinet is smack your feet against it getting in, getting out, and in transit. Just about the only thing I'd ever put in that bottom cabinet is my feet. It's so close that it's not worth putting anything you need to get out and get ready while en route in there - you have no room to pull it out.

Edit: Also I'm sorry that you're stuck with manual suction. :(

The manufacture we are using for boots and new turnout gear is now Honeywell. Our turnout 10 year cycle is up for our entire department this year. Some of us have gear that is over 10 years. My jacket made 10 years in February and but my trousers are still good to go. I told my captain that I can only fight structure fires now feet first into a door laying on my back.

We were supposed to be getting our new Honeywell gear starting last year, but comically, a large amount of errors were found in the batch they made for our department. Trousers missing waist closures, wrong length jackets (either total length or the arm length), and overall gear that was more tight fit than the older gear of the same size. Also, no goddamn American flag patch on the jacket.

Six months or more later, the new gear is slowly trickling in. I haven't gotten mine in yet, but I'm planning on taking my old American flag patch off my expired Jacket and sewing it on to my new one somehow.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

The Gardenator posted:

The manufacture we are using for boots and new turnout gear is now Honeywell. Our turnout 10 year cycle is up for our entire department this year. Some of us have gear that is over 10 years. My jacket made 10 years in February and but my trousers are still good to go. I told my captain that I can only fight structure fires now feet first into a door laying on my back.

We were supposed to be getting our new Honeywell gear starting last year, but comically, a large amount of errors were found in the batch they made for our department. Trousers missing waist closures, wrong length jackets (either total length or the arm length), and overall gear that was more tight fit than the older gear of the same size. Also, no goddamn American flag patch on the jacket.

Six months or more later, the new gear is slowly trickling in. I haven't gotten mine in yet, but I'm planning on taking my old American flag patch off my expired Jacket and sewing it on to my new one somehow.

:allbuttons:

Goddamn dude, I'm sorry to hear that. Though, our department just got fired by our station uniform provider, because we were harrassing them about being almost a year behind on things we had ordered from them.

So I'm still waiting on the new boots I ordered about a year ago while mine are currently separating at the seam where the leather meets the sole...

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

windshipper posted:

:allbuttons:

Goddamn dude, I'm sorry to hear that. Though, our department just got fired by our station uniform provider, because we were harrassing them about being almost a year behind on things we had ordered from them.

So I'm still waiting on the new boots I ordered about a year ago while mine are currently separating at the seam where the leather meets the sole...

Like, I know just the very nature of painting something red and putting the words "Fire" on it makes it cost triple with a lead time of 1/2 a year, but that is just ridiculous.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Val Helmethead posted:

Like, I know just the very nature of painting something red and putting the words "Fire" on it makes it cost triple with a lead time of 1/2 a year, but that is just ridiculous.

There are two main companies in my area who provide LEO and FF station gear. There are a couple of smaller ones... but man, it is poo poo at the top and it all just goes downhill from there. I'd buy my own, but solid boots are expensive, and man, it's me paying for my own boots that I use on your job. And I work at two different departments, so, add some more wear on that.

One of them has also issued me boots, but they're wildland style boots, heavy as heck, and just not comfortable in any sense. I can revert to using those if it comes down to it, but they just suck all over. They even squeak when you walk, in addition to being heavy as heck and generally sucky.

I really like the magnum 8 inch side zip though. I've had these boots for three years, comfortable, easy to break in, steel toe, throw some super feet in there and I will work all day in them (and do).

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
It's the age old conundrum of stuff being available to private people no problemo but public orders taking ages to complete for no apparent reason.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Any of you guys running into people nosing around your scenes with drones? We got a guy with a Facebook page filled with videos of him flying overhead zooming in on the action. I don't mind stuff like us fighting fires, but there have been some very serious accidents and fatalities lately, and I'm wondering if this guy has the good sense not to post videos of sensitive stuff. We usually block line of sight to grisly stuff or provide patient privacy with tarps, but this guy can just fly right over it. An even bigger issue would be that a Medevac chopper will not even get close with a big rear end drone in the airspace either, and it's not like we can radio this guy to tell him to ground his poo poo.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

The Gardenator posted:

I'm pretty sure you are joking about abusive parking. We always have to park our ladder either along the curb or take up 5 stalls.

Along the curb is :thejoke: though my local FD and presumably yours parks at the outer corner of the red lines. Still illegal for everybody but them and closer than the handicapped spaces, but not actually blocking the fire lane. If Fire is parked right in front of the door, poo poo is going down, if Fire is parked over there, they're just shopping.

I don't think I've posted most of these photos in this thread, but I have them handy because AI:

Ladder 1

Engine 7, taking a break. The buckets they're sitting on are the foam additive, hence the unit nickname. Apparently they ran out and got more brought in.

Both at that nasty plastic/cardboard recycling fire I know I mentioned before.
Y'all are probably just as annoyed by middle management as the rest of us.

Battalion Chief in charge of the scene.

Dude in the red hat is probably a bit annoyed with his boss, who is a block away and only wearing the pants part of the suit.

IronDoge posted:

We usually block line of sight to grisly stuff or provide patient privacy with tarps, but this guy can just fly right over it.
I was the rear end in a top hat with a long lens before personal quadcopters were a thing, but I would only go so far. The tiny little shred of humanity in the mind of a photojournalist wins out over their first-amendment rights.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jul 1, 2017

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
gently caress, hot summer for the wildland guys. Always is but my friend just left AZ. Yikes

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Drones: I am starting to see them at large public gatherings and I am mostly worried about some idiot crashing one into somebody. I would like to be a part of some kind of drone pilot cadre in our department, once drones can reliably supply live video.

Chiefs and turnout gear: The only time I would expect to see a chief in turnouts is every 10 years or so when they get fitted for new gear.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

^ this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan

I need this to be my avatar.

• Locked thread