Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«440 »
Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

Kommienzuspadt posted:

how hard is it to swap out the sights on a glock yourself? i want to install nightsights on my g19 but dont really want to pay somebody to do it.

also, speaking of which, what are the best nightsights for a glock? looking for a good price point/ quality matchup, nothing too expensive but not poo poo either.

Taking the stocks sights off is easy. Getting the new rear in was a huge pain in the rear end for me. I tried to do it myself but just ended up marring the side of the sight and having it half stuck in. Ended up just taking it to somebody. Unless you're pretty confident in your abilities I'd take it somewhere and avoid the headache.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonBigmeat
Sep 4, 2003

Edison's Medicine

Hmm, my rear sights got knocked about 1/3 of the way out when I dropped my G19 on the floor. I gently tapped it back into place with no fuss.

Headcase Fargone
Sep 24, 2007
Swimming in a world of creeps

Anyone seen any Advantage Arms 22 kits out there? I'm holding onto hope that there's some little mom and pop website out there on the interweb somewhere with vast stocks of them waiting for me to order. I'll be goddamned if I'm going to pay $400+ for a kit on GunBroker.

Biaxident
Sep 4, 2003

GLOCK: Explosive Firepower!

I really like my Truglo TFO sights for brightness in any light conditions.

STAT1C_X
May 9, 2004

by angerbot

Capn Beeb posted:

E:

What .22 kits are worth poo poo for a G19?

The answer to your question is:

Headcase Fargone posted:

Anyone seen any Advantage Arms 22 kits out there? I'm holding onto hope that there's some little mom and pop website out there on the interweb somewhere with vast stocks of them waiting for me to order. I'll be goddamned if I'm going to pay $400+ for a kit on GunBroker.

And as to you, I looked for approximately a year before I found a goon selling one. I put in orders and requests with multiple vendors all to no avail. They are backordered like mad and hardly anyone wants to sell theirs.

TylerC 2.0
Jan 22, 2010

Gloccckkkk

I have since traded off the 26 for a 19

TylerC 2.0 fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 17, 2010

hedgiejugglr
Feb 18, 2007

For the person asking about good conversion kits the answer is Advantage Arms. They are hard to get right now, but well worth it if you find one. I managed to find one at my local gun shop and it happened to be for 17/22/34/35's which is what I hoping for as I have a g34, comp gun on it's way to be a race gun. I also own a g19, but it's my daily carry gun and I didn't want to be loving around with it all the time when at the range or shooting a comp with my .22.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007

WE'RE ONTO YOU.

TylerC 2.0 posted:

I want your cat. Give me it.

lifenomad
May 8, 2009

TylerC 2.0 posted:

Is that a Kel-Tec P3AT?

I have a G27 which I absolutely love, and carry it often with a CQC serpa holster. However, I am worried that when summer comes around I won't be able to conceal it as well as a small Kel-Tec. (I am considering one, and wondering how they perform in relation to the "baby-glocks.")

Also, I wish my G27 had an OD frame.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

lifenomad posted:

a Kel-Tec P3AT? (I am considering one, and wondering how they perform in relation to the "baby-glocks.")

Do you like having the recoil spring shoot out the front of the gun after a few hundred rounds? (don't ever buy a kel-tec; if you have to have some dinky .380 pistol because of a misperception that you can't conceal anything bigger, get a ruger LCP or sig P238)

Bachelor Numpad
Sep 16, 2001

All wreckin' and smashin' my junk on the crossbar

hedgiejugglr posted:

For the person asking about good conversion kits the answer is Advantage Arms. They are hard to get right now, but well worth it if you find one. I managed to find one at my local gun shop and it happened to be for 17/22/34/35's which is what I hoping for as I have a g34, comp gun on it's way to be a race gun. I also own a g19, but it's my daily carry gun and I didn't want to be loving around with it all the time when at the range or shooting a comp with my .22.

Probably a dumb question, but the slide says "This gun will shoot without the magazine in it". Doesn't that just mean "yes, if you try to dry-fire this, it will dry-fire" ?

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Bachelor Numpad posted:

Probably a dumb question, but the slide says "This gun will shoot without the magazine in it". Doesn't that just mean "yes, if you try to dry-fire this, it will dry-fire" ?

no it means there is no magazine disconnect or w/e those things are called that will prevent a firearm from being discharged when there is no magazine in it.

its a pretty stupid device that just short changes proper gun safety but they exist in a bunch of guns..

JohnnyPalace
Oct 23, 2001

I'm gonna eat shit out of his own lemonade stand!

Bachelor Numpad posted:

I think it means "If you leave a round in the chamber and try to dry-fire, even without the magazine, bad things will happen"

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Grimey Drawer

Welcome back, Glock thread!

Let me vomit pictures in your mouth.

I took this out last weekend and it is effortless to shoot on target. I am loving this whole striker-fired pistol thing.

Frankie
Feb 22, 2006

GroovinPickle posted:

TOPGLOCK.COM sucks

This 1000% I ordered some products from one of their 1000 satellite websites that were listed as "In stock". About a week later I got an email saying that all but one of the things were no longer carried by them. I canceled my order (which did not even ship yet) because I did not want to have to buy everything from multiple places, and pay shipping twice. They were rude as hell over the phone and charged me a cancellation fee, and tried to charge me a restocking fee on something I never got. After I dealt with that bullshit I googled them, and found out that they pretty much keep nothing in stock, and make their money on cancellation fees. That place suuuucks.

Also, they keep having security leaks that lead to people's cc info getting stolen.

TylerC 2.0
Jan 22, 2010

lifenomad posted:

Is that a Kel-Tec P3AT?

I have a G27 which I absolutely love, and carry it often with a CQC serpa holster. However, I am worried that when summer comes around I won't be able to conceal it as well as a small Kel-Tec. (I am considering one, and wondering how they perform in relation to the "baby-glocks.")

Also, I wish my G27 had an OD frame.

It is a Ruger LCP. I replaced a P3at with it because the quality is much better. As far as concealment goes it's untouchable

Not a Glock by a long stretch though

TylerC 2.0 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Feb 18, 2010

Kalash
May 2, 2007

Нет человека, нет проблемы.

Frankie posted:

This 1000% I ordered some products from one of their 1000 satellite websites that were listed as "In stock". About a week later I got an email saying that all but one of the things were no longer carried by them. I canceled my order (which did not even ship yet) because I did not want to have to buy everything from multiple places, and pay shipping twice. They were rude as hell over the phone and charged me a cancellation fee, and tried to charge me a restocking fee on something I never got. After I dealt with that bullshit I googled them, and found out that they pretty much keep nothing in stock, and make their money on cancellation fees. That place suuuucks.

Also, they keep having security leaks that lead to people's cc info getting stolen.

With a reputation like that, they are probably allowing the leaks to happen for the right price. Thanks for the heads up, I'm looking to get a Glock soon and want to know a good place for magazines and parts.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

This post is good to go

Kommienzuspadt posted:

no it means there is no magazine disconnect or w/e those things are called that will prevent a firearm from being discharged when there is no magazine in it.

its a pretty stupid device that just short changes proper gun safety but they exist in a bunch of guns..

It's a request from police departments. Scenario goes as follows:

Bad guy reaches for officers Glock
They struggle
Officer manages to hit the magazine release
Magazine falls to the floor
Bad guy successfuly gets gun from officer
Bad guy points gun at officer
Bag guy pulls trigger, gun doesn't fire

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 1, 2016

Black Stormy
Apr 1, 2003

They should be fine. You could replace the springs if you want, but other than that I wouldn't worry about. Most Police guns have holster wear and the only time they are shot is during qualifications, but these are Detroit Police trade ins, soooo...

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Gadamer posted:

Yeah, everything I saw was holster wear and possibly a bad spring, but I wanted to be sure before I did something stupid.

Expect a horribly beaten up exterior, yet barely fired.

Surplus police guns are usually the opposite of surplus police cars.

Exceptions exist. A friend of mine purchased a used Glock 19 from a retired cop that had on the order of 15k rounds put through it.

DJExile
Jun 27, 2007

televiper posted:

I want your cat. Give me it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=3202801

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Gtab posted:

As true now as it was then.

Which is to say, not true at all

Edit:

Also, I feel any Glock thread worth its salt should have this. I've saved around $400 through various purchases all told and I didn't even have to follow it step by step

If you have archives: http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...8#post337787075

And if you don't:

Scarecrow411 posted:

1.0 How to buy a used Glock
Make sure the slide stop engages.
Make sure the slide stop engages with a magazine in place.
Rack slide.
Place a pencil, eraser first, down the barrel, aim towards ceiling or small dog, pull trigger.
Field strip the gun, visually inspect frame rails, locking block, barrel, feed ramp and breach face.
If you feel like a stud pull out a punch and detail strip the frame and slide. Crazy Armed Pilot can provide us with the armorers checklist of what to look for.
Here's where it gets important
With gun disassembled, mutter under your breath.
Ask the guy how many rounds he has through it.
Ask the guy how many people have owned this gun, if the answer is more then 1, reconfirm the round count.
Ask the guy how many years he's owned the gun for.
Ask the guy when the last time he replaced the recoil spring was? What about the trigger spring? ...and the slide stop? Firing pin spring? What about the extractor plunger spring? spring cups? fall cups? does it have the marine mainspring installed? If the answers for these is all yes ask the guy to throw in the old parts and pay the asking price. If old parts "were thrown away" or "aren't here right now" continue:
Mutter some more.
Leave gun disassembled, begin eye loving a new Glock.
Sigh deeply.
Tell the guy you're going to have to re-spring and replace the pins on the gun if you buy it, begin to reassembly the gun, ask for $50 - $75 below asking price. If anything other then the frame or slide rails are damaged, knock another $25 per part.

Micromancer fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Feb 18, 2010

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MOTRONIC FOR MODERATOR, MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN

Grimey Drawer

Micromancer posted:

Also, I feel any Glock thread worth its salt should have this.

Awesome. Thanks - added to the first post.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

hedgiejugglr
Feb 18, 2007

Gadamer posted:

I can't do any of those for a police trade in bought online

You can at least ask the history of the firearm and see if the seller knows round count, spring replacement and such. It certainly can't hurt to ask the questions even if the likely answer is "I don't know".

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

TylerC 2.0 posted:

I have since traded off the 26 for a 19

years old?

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Gadamer posted:

Police trade ins normally come with a built in $75 below FTF price, it's prehaggled. Any Glock at $300-$350 should be good to go. That guide is mainly for the douches asking $475 for a used gun with regular sights.

All three of my Glocks came with night sights and were out the door for $425 or less each. The original asking price for them was $450+10%sales tax and $10 background G22 out the door for $410, $500 (ftf) G23 (traded an EAA Witness for his Glock and $100 cash), and $495+10%sales tax and $10 background G27 out the door for $425.

On Glocks alone I dropped an average of $80 per gun and used the same tactics to get $75 off my Llama, and got my Ruger Mark 1 for no tax/background. I dont go so far as to do the mutter under the breath, but I do inspect it and make a show of looking like I know what the hell is going on and then lowball them for a comparable price online if shipping was free +25 ffl.

At the very least, you should be able to never pay tax/background on a used gun in a shop again - and if you have a phone with a web browser gunbroker that poo poo find out what they are going for and get them to match it at least.

Edit:

In retrospect you might say Ahha! but what if I buy a revolver! You aren't so smart now are you! and then I link you to http://tfrwiki.midworld.co.uk/wiki/.../Used_Revolvers

Micromancer fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Feb 19, 2010

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

This post is good to go

Please stop polishing the slides on your Glocks. It makes them look like Sigmas.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Gadamer posted:

just buy it anyway, anything broken on it you can fix. this isn't like a revolver where the cylinder timing might mean you have a dysfunctional gun. at 330 you cant really go wrong. besides, almost every police glock has max like 2-300 rounds through it. if it doesnt work (it will) then send it back to glock.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MOTRONIC FOR MODERATOR, MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN

Grimey Drawer

Kommienzuspadt posted:

just buy it anyway, anything broken on it you can fix. [...] if it doesnt work (it will) then send it back to glock.

Exactly that. Unless you need the gun RIGHT NOW, do it. Then plan on a worst case scenario where you send it back to Glock, they end up fixing it and upgrading the poo poo out of the thing, and send it back in a shiny new box with a cable lock, for free, no questions asked. That was the service one of my friends got, as well as many many accounts of the same all over various gun forums.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Gadamer posted:

I guess I'll just take the plunge. I'll e-mail and ask if they can handpick one for me, otherwise, tax return put to good use.

why bother with the handpick?

the finish is going to be the same, holster wear will probably be just about the same on all of their glocks, if they are police surplus they will more likely than not have a roundcount of 500 or less, and that's a high estimate. none of them will have lovely aftermarket parts, and you may even get nightsihts out of the deal. honestly i don't think that in a pile of police surp guns a handpick is going to make a difference, as they are going to be all within more or less the same condition.

my only s tipulation - get a gen 3. the rail is pretty nifty and its only like 30-40 bucks more than the used gen2s on summitgunbroker.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 1, 2016

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Gadamer posted:

But Detroit! (just kidding, I'll take your advice)

http://www.summitgunbroker.com/Glock_22_FCPD.html

how's fulton county pd for you?

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 1, 2016

Trident
Jun 18, 2004
We cook your meals, we drive your ambulances. We connect your calls, we guard you while you sleep. Do not... fuck with us.

repost:

Click here for the full 1824x1368 image.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Just went searching through the archives to find the MrButterpants guide to glock trigger jobs. Unfortunately, it looks like the images are dead.

MrButterpants, do you still have these images?

MrButterpans in December 2004 posted:

MrButterpants's how to guide: Glock Trigger modification

Disclamer: this is an armorer-level disassembly and modification.
Eventhough a trained chimp could be a Glock armorer, please proceed at your
own caution and make sure to funchtion test the gently caress out of the weapon
post-modification. That being said, feel free to break all the parts. It's
a Glock for god sake, it'll still fire. I have also not spell checked anything here, so grammer nazis can fuckoff.

As stated before, this isn't for everyone. If you shoot twice a year and probally
couldn't tell if I lubed your trigger bar with crazy glue, don't worry about this.
You'll never notice any improvment. This is for the shooter who intimately know their weapon systems. If you happen by some chance to be using a New York leaf trigger spring the effect will be more pronounced. (though NY springs are an asstastic idea)

Your Glock will not be permiently damaged or modified in any way not reversible, and don't worry if you really screw up, replacemnt parts are cheap. This mod is being performed on a Glock 22 in .40S&W and has a NY trigger spring with a 3.5 connector.

Ok here we go:

Tools necessary:
  • Glock Tool or a 3/32(2.5mm) punch (NO OTHER SIZES ARE ACCEPTABLE)
  • Dremel type rotary tool with buffing/polishing discs
  • Polishing compound
  • Regular cleaning supplies...solvent, patches..etc
  • 1 hour of time

Step 1: Field Strip
I'm not going to explain the poo poo out of every step, just the finer points.
I'd never get done typing if I did.If you don't understand something, post
here or PM me.

Step 2: Slide Disassembly
Once the slide is off, take your thumb and place it on the rear of the slide...
right on that plastic piece. Then with your punch, apply downward pressure
right underneath the firing pin. You'll feel some spring tension, which is good.
At the same time, your thumb should be sliding the rear cover plate off.
IMPORTANT Make sure to keep your thumb over the slide as you remove the plate. If not, poo poo can go flying. Then pull the firing pin assembly and the extractor rod out as shown in the picture.

Now we need to remove the firing pin saftey and teh extractor. The FP saftey is
under spring tension so makesure it faces downward as you gently pull the extractor
off center. You will hear a tinny *boing* and be left with 3 parts. 1) extractor,
2) firing pin saftey and the 3rd is the slide.

Step 3: Firing pin assembly, disassembly
First off take the whole assembly and place it almost within where it came from on the slide, just reversed (see pictures). Rotate it slightly to catch the pin on the slide so force can be applied to it.

Here's the last spring tension disclamer. When removing the spring cups, just be careful. They are small, lighweight and under a pile of tension...plus your gun is not firing without them. (interesting side note - spring cups are what allows a Glock to fire underwater...though u need a pair of Maritime SC, not the regular ones standard on Glocks)

While holding the FP assembly against the slide, apply tension downward on the spring, remove the 2 small black halved spring cups and `viola, it's all apart.

Step 4: Polish the firing pin and FP saftey
This is fairly straightforward. Take the part in question, then apply some compound to the Dremel polishing wheel and go to town. I'd say anywhere from 15 to 30 seconds on a medium to high speed. Just be sure to clean the area first with solvent before you being to polish. Follow the pictures for areas that require polishing.

It should look shiny afterwards:

Some before shots: You can see the metal on metal wear spots.
http://www.mrbutterpants.com/SA/pos.../firingpin2.jpg
http://www.mrbutterpants.com/SA/pos.../firingpin3.jpg

Now polish the FP saftey
http://www.mrbutterpants.com/SA/pos...gpinsaftey1.jpg

Ok were done with the slide assembly. To reassemble it, basically follow the directions listed in the reverse order. Just make sure that when inserting the extractor rod into the slide, that the plastic end is facing upward/out of the read of the slide. If not, you'll get about 3 shots before the weapon fails to extract.

Apply downward pressure with your punch onto the rear of the firing pin assembly as
inward pressure is applied to the rear slide cover when it in the proper grooves.
It all should snap into place.

Step 5: Frame takedown
Essentially 3 pins hold the frame toghter. Pin 1 is a small metal barbell shaped. Pin 2 is polymer and smooth. While pin 3 is metal and has 2 dramatic grooves in it. Pin 1 and 2 come out easy and in that order. Pins are always removed from left to right and replaced from right to left. Pin 3 can sometimes be a pain in the rear end to remove, but all you need to do is just wiggle the slide lock a bit.

After removing all 3 pins (1, 2, then 3). Let the slide stop level fall out and prepair to remove the slide block. All that needs to be done is to anchor your punch under the block and lift up.

Now that the block is out, just pull up gently on the ejector and here comes the trigger assembly.

We need to seperate the trigger bar from the trigger mechanism housing (sounds complicated eh? - it's not). Just apply downward pressure to the trigger bar while holding the mechanism housing....then twist counterclockwise.

Now to remove the connector from the housing. All you need to do is stick the punch in the small hole provided and it pops out.

What you'll be left with is:
  • 1 - pins
  • 2 - Slide stop lever
  • 3 - Slide block
  • 4 - trigger bar
  • 5 - NY trigger spring
  • 6 - Connector
  • 7 - Trigger mechanism housing

What to polish:

Slide block. This isnt directly related to trigger pull of any sort, but I believe it provides a tad bit less wear on the slide, which is the most $$ piece to replace.

Trigger bar saftey hump This part mates with the firing pin saftey that we polished earlier.

Connector bar and rear trigger bar Polish the gently caress out of these. You'll easily be able to see where all the metal parts mate upon dissambly, but just my yellow paint as a guide for touching parts.

That's it for the frame. Reassemble it in reverse just as the slide was. When replacing the frame pins, the go back in order 1, 2, 3...not 3,2,1. That's about the only thing to worry about. You might get your slidestop level spring hung up on pin 1, but it's easy to tell if that happens...the fucker won't sit down and basically every shot would cause the weapon to lock open.

While we have the Dremel, might as well polish the feed ramp. Again this will not affect trigger pull at all. It's just a prevenatitive measure that's probally not necessary in this weapon, but oh well. It's on the barrel for those wondering:

Well that's about it. Before we reassemble the weapon from a field strip, please make sure to lube all the metal mating parts that we just cleaned and polished with a good heavy gun grease...I prefer Tetra Gun Grease. You don't need gobs of the poo poo, just enough to hit the area we just attended to. Take another few drops and lube up the slide rails and it's time to function test. Assemble and Dryfire the weapon a bit and see if you can feel the difference. No guarantees here, but my trigger is like grease on glass...and it has a NY spring! (not the only lovely thing to come from NY).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Guacamole
Dec 2, 2007

Oh God run away

Does anyone have a high-res version of the 'You have one hell of a flinch' version of this?

«440 »