Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«440 »
Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

Forgot to mention one more change on the Gen4 GLOCKs. Mag release is now larger and is reversable for wrong handed shooters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Speaking of Gen4 grips, every single point of :/ worthy discomfort was completely gone with the default configuration for me. I really, really want a Gen4 G19.

If you haven't had the chance to handle one, do your self the favor and at least pick one up. You'll probably be surprised.

Lt Dan Ice Cream
Jul 29, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Got a Glock 17 in late November. I've never really been much of a gun person but my brother and his friends are. I figured this would give us something to do together.

My first trip to the range wasn't very impressive. I suck at shooting this thing. Still had a great time, though.

I went back to the dealer this week and ended up buying a Steyr M-A1 just because I thought it looked bad rear end. Now this one is different. I wasn't a perfect shot with it but did a lot better than I did with my Glock. Probably just need to practice shooting the Glock more.

Placebo Orgasm
Nov 4, 2009

Pistols are harder to shoot than rifles. A Ruger 10/22 or similar .22lr rifle will be your favorite gun and won't set you back to much. Take a safety class if you haven't already.

A note on the gen 4 glocks: if you reverse the magazine release it won't work with gen 3 magazines. For right-handed shooters gen 3 magazines are completely compatible.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Placebo Orgasm posted:

A note on the gen 4 glocks: if you reverse the magazine release it won't work with gen 3 magazines. For right-handed shooters gen 3 magazines are completely compatible.
Would a dremel fix that?

Placebo Orgasm
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not familiar enough with the new glocks to say.

Biaxident
Sep 4, 2003

GLOCK: Explosive Firepower!

Mad Dragon posted:

Would a dremel fix that?

I'm quite sure that it would.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK

Slippery Tilde

Glock 23 40S&W, 2nd Gen, VG Condition $379.95
http://www.jgsales.com/product_info...roducts_id/3957

Click here for the full 800x538 image.

I want one!

Angry Guacamole
Dec 2, 2007

Oh God run away

Neo Mara posted:

Forgot to mention one more change on the Gen4 GLOCKs. Mag release is now larger and is reversable for wrong handed shooters.

This makes me happy, my genetic defect is less of a problem now.

hedgiejugglr
Feb 18, 2007

I've picked up a gen 4, I wasn't a fan of it personally. I didn't particularly care for the grip texture. I also wish they'd get rid of the fingers grooves they had on the gen 3's and have on the gen 4's. I still love my Glocks very much and just added a new one to the family. (look for the box thread later tonight.) That said I've been shooting my 1911 a lot lately and have gotten much better with it than my Glock's so looks like I need some trigger time on my Glocks.

Headcase Fargone
Sep 24, 2007
Swimming in a world of creeps

Agreed on the finger grooves. I have a 2nd gen G17 that's far more comfortable to shoot than my 3rd gen G23. It's more the texture between them than the grooves themselves. The lack of a rail isn't a huge deal, I suppose.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

^^^^
Edit:

You just let me know if you want to swap lowers on the 23 because gently caress this flat faced piece of poo poo.

holy poo poo no finger grooves is awful what's wrong with you people?

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

I'm very happy with my new 17 and I now believe anyone who shoots should not be without a Glock. It also made me realize I can't shoot a handgun with the skill I had when I was 13. The 800 rounds of 9mm I bought should change that. This will be a bedside hd gun so it is now rocking a set of trijicon night sights and a tlr-3. I bought the tlr-3 on a whim over the tlr-1 and I'm fairly happy with it. I also sent in for a 1 year membership in the GSSF. What goodies do I get? How do the competitions work? I've always wanted to get into competitive shooting and the little pamplet made it seem like a good start.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Have y'all yet seen this monstrosity?

Headcase Fargone
Sep 24, 2007

Micromancer posted:

^^^^
Edit:

You just let me know if you want to swap lowers on the 23 because gently caress this flat faced piece of poo poo.

holy poo poo no finger grooves is awful what's wrong with you people?

I totally would if I hadn't just bought a TLR-1 for it. It's my nightstand gun, so the light is kind of a necessity.

No finger-grooves plus rail would be heaven.

And again, it's not so much the finger-grooves that bug me so much as the checkering. I've seriously considered taking a dremel to it.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Headcase Fargone posted:

And again, it's not so much the finger-grooves that bug me so much as the checkering. I've seriously considered taking a dremel to it.

http://www.bowietacticalconcepts.co...ndshipping.html

quote:

Stipple front and back removing existing checkering 80.00
Stipple front strap 30.00
Remove finger grooves and stipple front strap (Glock) 55.00

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

If you are willing to dremel the checkering off, then you are willing to dremel a rail into my frame

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

What the hell is that?

Headcase Fargone
Sep 24, 2007

Is... is that an external hammer?

MidgetBrawl
Apr 25, 2005

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I've seen recent emails from one of our distributors about finally stocking these guns, and I've seen one of our customers come in with one to shoot.

From what I've been able to dig up, the frame is actually designed, licensed (and produced?) by GLOCK and it's along the lines of an advantage arms conversion kit as far as reliability is concerned. The guy that was shooting his on our range was close to blowing his load all over the desk talking about how great it was, but he may have just been a member of the "I have something new - it's sooooo awesome" crew so, take that with a grain of salt.

All of that being said, I don't know if I'd buy one just to have a .22 plinker when there are other more developed and reputable .22 pistol options available.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

If the magazines do not hold 50 rounds of .22LR and that faucet on the slide isnt for select fire then gently caress that gun.

I got a whole box of .22 in a G22 mag once with no spring, I know it can be done there was plenty of space left

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

MidgetBrawl posted:

I've seen recent emails from one of our distributors about finally stocking these guns, and I've seen one of our customers come in with one to shoot.

From what I've been able to dig up, the frame is actually designed, licensed (and produced?) by GLOCK and it's along the lines of an advantage arms conversion kit as far as reliability is concerned. The guy that was shooting his on our range was close to blowing his load all over the desk talking about how great it was, but he may have just been a member of the "I have something new - it's sooooo awesome" crew so, take that with a grain of salt.

All of that being said, I don't know if I'd buy one just to have a .22 plinker when there are other more developed and reputable .22 pistol options available.

THat's funny, people I've talked to in Europe say that it's a piece of poo poo and that the company that is producing/distributing them is well known for really lovely .22 knockoffs of better designs. Basically an even less competent version of GSG.

I'm pretty sure they're austrian.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Micromancer posted:

If the magazines do not hold 50 rounds of .22LR and that faucet on the slide isnt for select fire then gently caress that gun.

Cyrano4747 posted:

THat's funny, people I've talked to in Europe say that it's a piece of poo poo and that the company that is producing/distributing them is well known for really lovely .22 knockoffs of better designs. Basically an even less competent version of GSG.

I'm pretty sure they're austrian.

GSG is just now getting my gun back to me after working on it for 3 months.

Papa Ding-Dong
Feb 13, 2009

I'm looking to buy a Glock 17 as my first gun. I've decided on it based on what seems to be the general consensus that it's a solid, reliable gun that's inexpensive and is easy to find replacement and aftermarket parts for. I also like the fact that 9mm ammo is easy to find. I've shot the 17, the 19, the Sig 226, the 1911, Ruger .22, S&W .357, and even a damned S&W .500, but I kept coming back to the 17.

My question is, since new Glocks are fairly inexpensive, should I just buy a NIB model, or try to save a few bucks by buying a used model? Is there an advantage to buying a used one, such as it being "broken in" and thus easier to shoot (feel free to point out if this makes no sense)?

Papa Ding-Dong fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 26, 2010

hedgiejugglr
Feb 18, 2007

Papa Ding-Dong posted:

I'm looking to buy a Glock 17 as my first gun. I've decided on it based on what seems to be the general consensus that it's a solid, reliable gun that's inexpensive and is easy to find replacement and aftermarket parts for. I also like the fact that 9mm ammo is easy to find. I've shot the 17, the 19, the Sig 226, the 1911, Ruger .22, S&W .357, and even a damned S&W .500, but I kept coming back to the 17.

My question is, since new Glocks are fairly inexpensive, should I just buy a NIB model, or try to save a few bucks by buying a used model? Is there an advantage to buying a used one, such as it being "broken in" and thus easier to shoot (feel free to point out if this makes no sense)?

Glocks don't really have a break-in period so there is no need to worry there. Buying used certainly isn't a bad idea there was a post earlier in the thread that details what you should look at if you do decide to buy used. If you decide to buy used I would look at http://summitgunbroker.com they are known for having great deals on Glocks. The great thing about a used Glock is that it will last and shoot well for a very long time and if you do need to replace something (which I suggest at least replacing the recoil spring) the parts are dirt cheap.

There is no real advantage to buying new unless you want a perfect looking gun and or just prefer to know the round count/history. I'm kind of anal like that so I always try to buy new if it's in my budget, but that's just me.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

This post is good to go

astrollinthepork posted:

I also sent in for a 1 year membership in the GSSF. What goodies do I get?

Ask them for your discount certificate (you get one per year) so you can buy another Glock for like $425 (used to be $398 but they raised the prices this year)

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS

Bob Morales posted:

Ask them for your discount certificate (you get one per year) so you can buy another Glock for like $425 (used to be $398 but they raised the prices this year)

I'm going to buy the hell out of a gen4 19.

It is snowing quite peacefully outside so I thought I'd magdump my 17 into a milkjug full of ice. I like to stick a pair of earbuds under my earmuffs so I can listen to music while shooting and tonight was Johnny Cash night. The way the tlr-3 lit up the snowflakes was very pretty.

astrollinthepork fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 26, 2010

Papa Ding-Dong
Feb 13, 2009

hedgiejugglr posted:

Glocks don't really have a break-in period so there is no need to worry there. Buying used certainly isn't a bad idea there was a post earlier in the thread that details what you should look at if you do decide to buy used. If you decide to buy used I would look at http://summitgunbroker.com they are known for having great deals on Glocks. The great thing about a used Glock is that it will last and shoot well for a very long time and if you do need to replace something (which I suggest at least replacing the recoil spring) the parts are dirt cheap.

There is no real advantage to buying new unless you want a perfect looking gun and or just prefer to know the round count/history. I'm kind of anal like that so I always try to buy new if it's in my budget, but that's just me.

Thanks for the info. I'm kind of anal as well, and I know if I had any doubt as to the condition or history of a used gun, it would probably just bug the hell out of me and keep me from being completely satisfied with it. But I guess I shouldn't rule out a used 17 completely; there seem to be so many on the market that I'm bound to find one that is in like-new shape and at a good price. I'll see what's out there.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Buy a used 17 (you shot a 19 and prefer the full size ) because the cash savings is like 200 rounds of ammo and the difference between a new and used Glock is your new Glock becomes the used Glock after the first range trip.

Papa Ding-Dong
Feb 13, 2009

Actually I was mistaken, I shot a 20 and not the 19. But I want to give the 19 a try, now that I think about it. I'm kinda digging the idea of a compact pistol now.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

Papa Ding-Dong posted:

Actually I was mistaken, I shot a 20 and not the 19. But I want to give the 19 a try, now that I think about it. I'm kinda digging the idea of a compact pistol now.

i really like the 19 a lot. it fits the shape of my hands perfectly and is very concealable without losing losing the capacity of a full size pistol. i don't think that I would be able to shoot better with a 17 really.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Kommienzuspadt posted:

i really like the 19 a lot. it fits the shape of my hands perfectly and is very concealable without losing losing the capacity of a full size pistol. i don't think that I would be able to shoot better with a 17 really.

Same here. I had a 17 and traded it away then got a 19. The 19 just feels better in the hand.

Plus hey, you would already have a CCW weapon if/when you go that route.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

Nearly everyone in the last couple years I been reading threads here that got a 17/22 first then held a 19/23 after has cried about having to get the compact as well. The frequent advice is get a 19 in an M-TAC and you are pretty much done. It will almost assuredly be where you end up no matter what model and holster you start with, so save the cash and just start with that.

Edit: I really like the finger grooves on my G22. My 23 has a flat faced grip and stupid half moon cut out that your pinky half rides on which is uncomfortable as hell, and I STILL like it better than the full size.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

astrollinthepork posted:

I'm going to buy the hell out of a gen4 19.

Is there any word on when the gen4 19 comes out?

I like glocks alot, but I have very tiny hands for any adult, let alone a male, and I have heard that the gen4 have a smaller grip and requie a backstrap change to make it "normal" or large sized.

So basically i want to buy a glock 19, and I am hoping the g4 grip is smaller.

WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN?

(I got my paperwork filled out, and my cashiers checks written, and I go to the sheriff's office on thursday to get my fingerprints for my CCW license . I'm rocking an SP101 5 shot .357 right now from ruger, but I would like a 9mm with a higher cap magazine toooo)

Headcase Fargone
Sep 24, 2007

There's no way in hell your hands are smaller than mine and I own a G17 that feels great. And I have little girl hands. I also own a G23 that fits my hands even better.

What grip do you use?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Headcase Fargone posted:

There's no way in hell your hands are smaller than mine and I own a G17 that feels great. And I have little girl hands. I also own a G23 that fits my hands even better.

What grip do you use?

*shrug* I've got tiny woman hands and find the G17 feels a tad bulky as well.

handgun fit is one of those "to each their own" sort of things.

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

Wendigee posted:

Is there any word on when the gen4 19 comes out?

I like glocks alot, but I have very tiny hands for any adult, let alone a male, and I have heard that the gen4 have a smaller grip and requie a backstrap change to make it "normal" or large sized.

So basically i want to buy a glock 19, and I am hoping the g4 grip is smaller.

WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN WHEN?

(I got my paperwork filled out, and my cashiers checks written, and I go to the sheriff's office on thursday to get my fingerprints for my CCW license . I'm rocking an SP101 5 shot .357 right now from ruger, but I would like a 9mm with a higher cap magazine toooo)

By the end of '10 is the time frame currently.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Neo Mara posted:

By the end of '10 is the time frame currently.

>< that is a very long time... the g17 is already out in gen4 right? I guess I will have to wait if I want a compact for tiny hands.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Headcase Fargone posted:

What grip do you use?

I don't know what to tell you... the SP101 which is quite a small revolver fits my hand almost perfectly. I have fired a glock 19 that my friend owns and I find it to be just a bit too large.. my hope is that the g19 gen4 with smaller handle will fit me well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I wear size XL gloves ( ) and Glocks feel okay, size-wise.

«440 »