Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«440 »
MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Homie S posted:

Assuming I'm going to be doing USPSA eventually but certainly not soon, I ordered some goodies for my Gen3 G34. I tried out the Zev Tech spring set that includes a firing pin spring, trigger spring, and the safety plunger spring. It felt really smooth and light. Almost too light. I was fortunate to get it out yesterday to try it out and as I suspected, I was throwing light strikes onto Winchester brass. The internet says that these springs are known for sometimes causing this, so I may just put the stock spring back in. Anyone have similar experiences, or have since switched because they found something better? I already have a different connector which I like, so I'm probably going to keep that in.

If you lighten the striker spring, you're signing up for only shooting federal ammo or handloads with federal primers. That's the reason I stuck with the stock weight striker spring.

To be honest for my 34 I don't really think I would want a trigger much lighter than what I have with the Ghost Evo, heavier trigger spring, lighter striker block spring, and a light polish on all of the metal on metal contact points. It's smooth and pretty light as is, without having to be picky about ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

californiasushi
Jun 6, 2004

yeah when i messed with a vanek trigger in my g34 back when i shot 3gun and other shooting comps, i had the lighter striker spring and it gave me light primer strikes too. i tried a lightened striker which helped but could never get it 100% with all kinds of ammo. i ended up moving to a different platform completely

fast forward to today, and i've had really good luck with the johnny glock trigger. i have the duty one with the lighter striker spring in a few glocks which brings the pull down to about 3.75#. it's a really good weight imo for a tactical gun and i've had no light strikes. they have a competition one as well that can get the pull lighter and i have a feeling that would probably work well too

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

On this topic - I was gifted a Ghost trigger with various springs. Would putting that in possibly affect reliability? Should I stick to a certain spring...weight?

It would be going in my nightstand G19, but I've made a resolution to take some classes with the goal of competed for fun at some point. I'd be running the G19.

Was planning to do that this year, but corona happened.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Captain Log posted:

On this topic - I was gifted a Ghost trigger with various springs. Would putting that in possibly affect reliability? Should I stick to a certain spring...weight?

It would be going in my nightstand G19, but I've made a resolution to take some classes with the goal of competed for fun at some point. I'd be running the G19.

Was planning to do that this year, but corona happened.

The only spring that really directly affects ignition reliability is the striker spring. Leave that one stock and you should be ok.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

If you lighten the striker spring, you're signing up for only shooting federal ammo or handloads with federal primers. That's the reason I stuck with the stock weight striker spring.
FWIW I have shot tens of thousands of my reloads using CCI primers through a Glock 17 with a light striker spring.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

The only spring that really directly affects ignition reliability is the striker spring. Leave that one stock and you should be ok.

Here is what I have -

I love the thought of an upgraded trigger, but I'm not really sure what would be my best use. Unless "minor fitting" is outrageously minor, I'd probably pay the local gunsmith to pop in whatever I decide. I'm paranoid about things that could effect the ability to go bang.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Captain Log posted:

I love the thought of an upgraded trigger, but I'm not really sure what would be my best use. Unless "minor fitting" is outrageously minor, I'd probably pay the local gunsmith to pop in whatever I decide. I'm paranoid about things that could effect the ability to go bang.

If it's a carry gun, leave it stock. If it's a competition/fun gun/range toy/whatever, go hog wild.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Craptacular posted:

If it's a carry gun, leave it stock. If it's a competition/fun gun/range toy/whatever, go hog wild.

Thanks to the G43, it's not been on carry duty in a while. But it's still my HD gun.

I might try to put the bar in and leave the springs alone. If I suddenly decided to do a bunch of competitions, I can swap them around then. One step at a time and I need to get some classes under my belt first.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Captain Log posted:

Thanks to the G43, it's not been on carry duty in a while. But it's still my HD gun.

I might try to put the bar in and leave the springs alone. If I suddenly decided to do a bunch of competitions, I can swap them around then. One step at a time and I need to get some classes under my belt first.

I would advise against modifying any firearm you're counting on for personal defense until you can thoroughly function test it with live ammunition, which I assume is rather difficult at the moment.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Captain Log posted:

That's what I meant. Whether you actually carry the gun around or not, if the gun's intended purpose is self-defense don't screw around with anything that might prevent it from working. If you do, do a lot more vetting before you rely on it.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Regardless of my plans, I should just build the most ridiculous Glock ever.

I'm envious of the Pony Glock. Very. Envious.

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

To be honest for my 34 I don't really think I would want a trigger much lighter than what I have with the Ghost Evo, heavier trigger spring, lighter striker block spring, and a light polish on all of the metal on metal contact points. It's smooth and pretty light as is, without having to be picky about ammo.

Hmm. My duty ammo is federal, but I would not use it at a match. I think Iíll probably just swap the striker spring back and leave the safety plunger and trigger spring in.

I have considered looking into doing a polish job on the metal to metal areas too. Should that be done by hand or can I bust out my dremel?

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Captain Log posted:

Here is what I have -

My Apex triggers have been drop-in and go on my factory guns. The Poly80 frames seem to be pickier. 940CL runs fine, 940SC doesn't.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

PhotoKirk posted:

My Apex triggers have been drop-in and go on my factory guns. The Poly80 frames seem to be pickier. 940CL runs fine, 940SC doesn't.

I'm getting ahead of myself. I just need to get back in the habit of monthly range trips and follow my goals of taking classes and eventually doing a competition. I just spent a lot of years without any non-savings income and my shooting time suffered hardcore. When I have parts laying around, I start putting the cart ahead of the horse.

But thanks to you, I WILL someday build a more ridiculous Glock than yours. Just you wait. (Ten years or so.)

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Captain Log posted:

Here is what I have -

That's exactly what I have in my G34, I installed everything but the striker spring, left that stock. I wouldn't trust it right away for defensive use, but I've got probably 3000 rounds on that setup now and once I got the tab properly fitted on the connector, it's been flawless. First trip out I hadn't shortened it quite enough and it wasn't firing without VERY heavy trigger pulls a little bit of the time, so I took it home and took a little more off and it was perfect.

#mepersonally, I trust it for defensive use now, but that's a function of how long it's been in that configuration and how many rounds I have through it.

Homie S posted:

I have considered looking into doing a polish job on the metal to metal areas too. Should that be done by hand or can I bust out my dremel?

I started by hand and then decided to use a dremel with cloth polishing wheels. DEFINITELY do not use anything more aggressive than the level 4 and 5 polishing compounds found at Lowe's/HD. You're looking for very fine polishing, not to remove metal. Follow the 25 cent trigger job guide all over the internet, I went a little more with it and polished the whole trigger bar, not just the main contact points.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

That's exactly what I have in my G34, I installed everything but the striker spring, left that stock. I wouldn't trust it right away for defensive use, but I've got probably 3000 rounds on that setup now and once I got the tab properly fitted on the connector, it's been flawless. First trip out I hadn't shortened it quite enough and it wasn't firing without VERY heavy trigger pulls a little bit of the time, so I took it home and took a little more off and it was perfect.

#mepersonally, I trust it for defensive use now, but that's a function of how long it's been in that configuration and how many rounds I have through it.

I started by hand and then decided to use a dremel with cloth polishing wheels. DEFINITELY do not use anything more aggressive than the level 4 and 5 polishing compounds found at Lowe's/HD. You're looking for very fine polishing, not to remove metal. Follow the 25 cent trigger job guide all over the internet, I went a little more with it and polished the whole trigger bar, not just the main contact points.

Did you go for the four or six pounds spring?

I'm certainly leaving it alone until I can but some rounds downrange with it. But the thought of a better trigger is appealing. I don't think Glock triggers are awful, but they also aren't great.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

I didn't change the striker spring at all. Mine remains stock.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I didn't change the striker spring at all. Mine remains stock.

Ahh, I follow. Stupidly wasnít thinking of where the spring was located.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Parts arrived and installed

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

The Rat posted:

Need a trip report!

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

The Rat posted:

That's a surprisingly unchopped glock.

Thinking of sending my 19 to cold bore for a grip reduction and then plummin' it up.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Ceros_X posted:

Need a trip report!

Ammo is due on Thursday (honestly surprised it's shipping that fast) but I won't be able to test it for probably another week still. Will post some report though!

ThinkFear posted:

That's a surprisingly unchopped glock.

Thinking of sending my 19 to cold bore for a grip reduction and then plummin' it up.

Yeah there's no reason to chop this one since it's only ever going to ride in my hiking chest pouch anyways. Plus I want the extra leverage on dat 10mm spiciness.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Sugartime Jones

Speaking of 10mm, what's the general consensus of the 29?

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

Syrian Lannister posted:

Speaking of 10mm, what's the general consensus of the 29?

Everything Iíve read or watched ballistically shows most 10mm ammo is really optimized for the 4.6Ē G20 barrel to the point where the 6Ē G40 doesnít gain much velocity especially with 180-220 gr loads. G29ís seem to give up about ~100 fps over the G20 which in some cases can make them marginally more useful than 40 S&W out of G23.

Iíve almost bought a G29 a few times and I like that I can get a full grip on one with size medium sized hands and because I like my G20 and 10mm so much. The thing is they arenít a lot lighter while backpacking than a G20 and as mentioned outdoors carry will either be concealed in a HPG chest rig or open carry with a Kenai chest rig or on a backpack waist belt. 147 gr hardcast +P 9mm at 1200 fps or is very quickly a better choice than a small 10mm and definitely over 40 and 45 based on velocity and sectional density for 4 legged critters if you want a smaller gun.

I have to imagine the G29 is a bit spicy to shoot but likely manageable when compared to a light 44 mag or even a shield in 40 S&W.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Sugartime Jones

Thank you for that.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Crosspostin' -

Turnbull Restoration and Finishing should have a Glock offering in about six months. Turnbull has three samples about to be finished. Then they go to a metallurgist who X-rays and tests them to ensure they are structurally sound. After that, they go to some people who will stress test them through a few thousand rounds. If those steps are passed without issue, they will start selling them.

I'll want them to finish up my Glocks if they look as cool as I'm expecting.

Website - https://www.turnbullrestoration.com

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Captain Log posted:

Crosspostin' -

Turnbull Restoration and Finishing should have a Glock offering in about six months. Turnbull has three samples about to be finished. Then they go to a metallurgist who X-rays and tests them to ensure they are structurally sound. After that, they go to some people who will stress test them through a few thousand rounds. If those steps are passed without issue, they will start selling them.

I'll want them to finish up my Glocks if they look as cool as I'm expecting.

Website - https://www.turnbullrestoration.com

I really, really, really want one of the Lone Wolf damascus* slides, but I'm not in a place to drop $1500 on a slide.

https://www.lonewolfdist.com/244/sl...-slide-damascus

*and of course I work with a mouth breather who HAD to tell me "ACKSHULLLLY, that's not true Damascus steel because......" and I tuned him out.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

PhotoKirk posted:

I really, really, really want one of the Lone Wolf damascus* slides, but I'm not in a place to drop $1500 on a slide.

https://www.lonewolfdist

*and of course I work with a mouth breather who HAD to tell me "ACKSHULLLLY, that's not true Damascus steel because......" and I tuned him out.

Holy hell thatís cool.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

PhotoKirk posted:

https://www.lonewolfdist.com/244/sl...-slide-damascus

Really cool. Crazy after all these things go through in a forge they still show the layers like that. Knowing my paranoid brain I would still worry about it cracking or delaminating.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Styles Bitchley posted:

Really cool. Crazy after all these things go through in a forge they still show the layers like that. Knowing my paranoid brain I would still worry about it cracking or delaminating.

They show the layers because they're laminated using different steels, specifically so that a brief acid wash will reveal the layering. Modern pattern welded steels can be really incredible. The blanks being used for these slides are actually kinda boring in comparison to some of the stuff out there now.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

armorer posted:

They show the layers because they're laminated using different steels, specifically so that a brief acid wash will reveal the layering. Modern pattern welded steels can be really incredible. The blanks being used for these slides are actually kinda boring in comparison to some of the stuff out there now.

Yeah I mean it's just crazy to me after all that heat and hammer forging the lamination still shows. From what I've seen on similar blanks they got through a LOT of hot working.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

I ordered my G43 11 days ago and it still hasn't shipped. Fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

poonchasta posted:

I ordered my G43 11 days ago and it still hasn't shipped. Fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Welcome to panic times! A lot of shippers now have 10-30 disclaimers up.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

I no longer own any Glocks. But Glocks are still cool. TIA.

ThinkFear
Sep 14, 2007

Ceros_X posted:

I no longer own any Glocks. But Glocks are still cool. TIA.

I am also glockless, albeit temporarily. Can confirm, Glocks are still cool.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Most of the gear, most of the time

I know it's already easy to make Glocks full auto, but here's a 3D printed auto sear. As I'm sure everyone here knows, highly illegal do to this in the US without the appropriate license.

https://twitter.com/freegunzone/sta...3401326592?s=20

BrianM87
Oct 30, 2006
I keep missing. Are you sure the bullets work?

So why would you even bother posting it?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

So you can be informed about the state of the world

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

That's pretty cool.

It never hurts to put a disclaimer that while something may be cool, it is also illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

I've never personally felt the urge to really draw the ire of the ATF, but it must be a hell of a thrill for someone.

«440 »