Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«440 »
Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

Is there a chance the dude is located somewhere it is legal?

If he is in America, surely he has a SWAT team kicking in his door at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

He could also have the proper sort of FFL and is just goofing around for love of the hobby

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Internet Wizard posted:

He could also have the proper sort of FFL and is just goofing around for love of the hobby

Ah, I knew I wasn't thinking of an obvious reason.

What are the rules about making a "new" automatic weapon? I thought the registry stopped that?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Captain Log posted:

What are the rules about making a "new" automatic weapon? I thought the registry stopped that?
FFL/SOTs legally make new machine guns all the time. They're just not transferable to anyone but LE/military or for export, or in some cases, to another FFL/SOT.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

Craptacular posted:

FFL/SOTs legally make new machine guns all the time. They're just not transferable to anyone but LE/military or for export, or in some cases, to another FFL/SOT.

Gotcha. Thanks.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Most of the gear, most of the time

BrianM87 posted:

So why would you even bother posting it?

Not everyone lives in America. Plus, now you'll know what it is when it inevitably turns up on a gun seized from a traffic stop.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

First day out with the G20. KKM barrel, Overwatch polymer trigger, Zev 4.5 connector. Recoil is fine and manageable. Definitely bangs the steel plate harder than 9mm. 150 rounds of S&B fired plus 5 rounds of Buffalo Bore.

However, I had an odd malfunction more than a few times. It did this odd thing where the bullet looked about halfway into the chamber, but at an angle. I could clear it quickly by pulling back on the slide about half an inch, which would result in it chambering fully and being able to fire as normal. Is this due to the KKM barrel or is there something else at work here? Still have the original barrel on hand, so I can try that later.

I also had a couple premature slide locks, but I figure that's due to not keeping my grip tight enough and my left hand hitting the slide lock on recoil.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The Rat posted:

First day out with the G20. KKM barrel, Overwatch polymer trigger, Zev 4.5 connector. Recoil is fine and manageable. Definitely bangs the steel plate harder than 9mm. 150 rounds of S&B fired plus 5 rounds of Buffalo Bore.

However, I had an odd malfunction more than a few times. It did this odd thing where the bullet looked about halfway into the chamber, but at an angle. I could clear it quickly by pulling back on the slide about half an inch, which would result in it chambering fully and being able to fire as normal. Is this due to the KKM barrel or is there something else at work here? Still have the original barrel on hand, so I can try that later.

I also had a couple premature slide locks, but I figure that's due to not keeping my grip tight enough and my left hand hitting the slide lock on recoil.

This happened with my g19 when I first got it and put my KKM barrel in. All it took to solve it for me was lubricating the barrel lugs and lubricating the slide->top of the barrel surface and it went away immediately.

My theory is that since the KKM barrel came unlubed I just missed those spots when lubricating it initially.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Oh right gotta use some l00b

edit: Also one really cool side effect of the G20 was that after 150 rounds, picking up a G17 and putting a mag through it felt like nothing at all, it just didn't move

The Rat fucked around with this message at 00:46 on May 4, 2020

Flatland Crusoe
Jan 12, 2011

Great White Hunter
Master Race

Let me explain why I'm better than you

The Rat posted:

Iíve never had that malfunction on a G20 with the slide partially closing but the slide locks are definitely something to watch out for. Thatís the only malfunction I have that wasnít due to reloads or messing with non stock recoil springs. Iím also running a stock barrel.

I shot my G20 today for the first time in a few months and locked the slide back early on the first magazine and then ran 120 rounds without issue. The large G20 grip tends to create some of the same grip based malfunctions that my G42 did.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

If u want Glock perfection u need dat fat rear end Glock chamber yo

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Styles Bitchley posted:

If u want Glock perfection u need dat fat rear end Glock chamber yo

Sorry, not sorry. Still looking for a gen 3 10mm slide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTcVuvkgkqE

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I'm thinking of getting a 9mm Glock. I'm left handed, but I've gotten used to doing some things right handed, like using scissors and such.

Is it absolutely critical that I get a left handed gun? I've never had a gun before, so I'm not sure if it's the sort of thing you can competently use either way with practice.

I've seen some stuff that gen 4 has some improvements for lefties, should I go for that, knowing that I have no idea how effective an off-hand shooter I am? Or are the changes not very useful/important and should I pick up a cheaper gen 3 pistol? I can afford both versions, so having to go with the more expensive version is not a bank breaking situation.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Lefty Glock owner here. I had a Gen 3 Glock 19 and the lack of lefty controls didn't bother me. I activated the mag release with my middle finger & I slingshotted my slide so the slide stop wasn't an issue. The Gen 4 Glock allows you to flip the mag release if you want to activate it with your thumb like right-handed folk.

I now own a Gen 5 Glock 19 & I admit the ambi slide stop is kind of nice. Allows for faster manipulation IMO. I didn't switch my mag release though because I just got used to it from my Gen 3.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm thinking of getting a 9mm Glock. I'm left handed, but I've gotten used to doing some things right handed, like using scissors and such.

Is it absolutely critical that I get a left handed gun? I've never had a gun before, so I'm not sure if it's the sort of thing you can competently use either way with practice.

I've seen some stuff that gen 4 has some improvements for lefties, should I go for that, knowing that I have no idea how effective an off-hand shooter I am? Or are the changes not very useful/important and should I pick up a cheaper gen 3 pistol? I can afford both versions, so having to go with the more expensive version is not a bank breaking situation.

I'm a lefty Glock shooter. I use the tip of my left index finger to push the mag release and just sweep the entire length of my index finger up the side of the frame/slide to actuate the slide stop. It's second nature to me now and works with all different kinds of semi pistols.

I tried an extended slide stop one time. The slide would keep locking open while firing because my left hand was somehow pushing it so I switched back to factory slide stop.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

On one hand, if you're starting fresh, may as well just get Gen5 and go lefty.

On the other hand, it'll make holsters and accessories a little more of a pain to get. Not by much though, cause this is Glocks we're talking about.

If it were me, I'd just go lefty.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Another lefty here, I've had zero issues running all manner of pistols with the methods described above. If this is your only pistol, and will remain your only pistol, get a Gen 5 I guess unless it's significantly more expensive, but if you think there's a chance you'll buy another pistol at some point I would just get used to running things the way we always do on non-ambi pistols. It's not significantly slower and it's much easier to just learn it that way from the get-go rather than having to relearn on the next one.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

The only reasons you should go with a Gen 3 Glock are:

1) You're in California and that's all you can get without paying through the nose.
2) You're buying used to save money. Gen 3's (especially Gen 3 .40's) are usually cheaper.
3) You're buying or building a Glock clone. Aftermarket receivers are usually (all?) Gen 3.
4) You have a huge number of Gen 3 Glocks already and want all your guns to stay in the same generation for compatibility's sake. Hi.

It doesn't sound like any of these apply, so just get a Gen 5 G17 or G19. Also consider getting the MOS version, which will allow you to more easily mount an optic in the future. It's not that much more money over the non-MOS version.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Oh yeah that's a good point. We're on the cusp of handgun dots becoming way more widespread so spending a little more on the MOS model is probably the right choice.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

If I could only own one pistol I'd get a gen 5 g19 MOS right now. I'd recommend that if you can find it.

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Another lefty here. If you're starting from scratch, get a Gen 5 MOS for all the reasons listed above. Get the model that comes with the Ameriglo sights vs the traditional glock sights. They cost more but they're much better sights.

Manipulation wise, I release the mag with my middle finder. If an ambi slide stop is not available, I prefer to nose rack the pistol using the web of my support hand.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see about the Gen 5 g19 MOS. Looks like they're all sold out right now (an indication it's a good gun!) So I'll have to try to get on some on some waiting lists.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see about the Gen 5 g19 MOS. Looks like they're all sold out right now (an indication it's a good gun!) So I'll have to try to get on some on some waiting lists.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto...t=4&PageSize=24
https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/PA195S203MOS

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Anyone used a TLR 8 G for a Glock 19? It looks to be just about the perfect size to avoid going past the barrel while still providing a ton of light and a decent on time.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Going past the barrel isnít really a problem (just put Vaseline or tape over the lense when you go to the range to keep it clean), lasers are pointless 99% of the time, and itís half the brightness of the TLR-1 HL.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Why are lasers pointless?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Fun Shoe

they are good for dryfire practice

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Why are lasers pointless?
Because they're an inferior method of sighting, in most situations, compared to iron sights or a red dot.

Just get a TLR-7, which doesn't have a laser.

BadgerMan45
Dec 30, 2009

I'd recommend the 7A due to the different style switches. Just picked one up so I could carry more easily with a light, I find the TLR-1/X300 makes the gun too bulky and long for me with AIWB.

Seems like a good compromise so far, better than a TLR-3, though the switches seem like they may wear out eventually.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

My Glocks wear TLR6s because I'm a sucker for cross platform compatibility with batteries, holsters, etc. If my G19 ever goes completely out of carry rotation, I'll be slapping a TLR1 on there pretty quick.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Nitrousoxide posted:

Anyone used a TLR 8 G for a Glock 19? It looks to be just about the perfect size to avoid going past the barrel while still providing a ton of light and a decent on time.

Buddy of mine (USPSA GM, instructor) quite likes his on his carry gun, fwiw.

e: he has an 8GA

e2: He's also turned me back onto lasers being fairly viable, especially green lasers that are daylight bright, making them more flexible. I should ask him to put laser vs irons vs RDS in the clock, to see what he comes up with. Skill gap may also be a factor, similar to the bathtub utility curve of j-frames

e3: I have a laser on my tlr-6 mostly because it was like $30 more and why not. It's red and way less bright though.

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 10, 2020

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

Fun Shoe

I got one with a laser one without.

The one time I turned on the laser at the range, it was feet off with the target pushed way back. I didn't feel like dicking around with it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Most of the gear, most of the time

The funny thing about lasers is they really emphasize your flinch if you have one

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Saw some folks recommending striker control devices to avoid shooting yourself when reholstering the gun. Do they basically work like holding the hammer down with a revolver?

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Nitrousoxide posted:

Saw some folks recommending striker control devices to avoid shooting yourself when reholstering the gun. Do they basically work like holding the hammer down with a revolver?

Pretty much. You push down hard on the SCD with your thumb while holstering so that if you encounter any resistance, the trigger won't move back, and you'll feel it and stop holstering.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Is there any downside to it? It seems like it would only be a positive addition to the gun. Could the striker hit it when you're trying to fire it normally for some reason and cause it to fail in a self-defense situation?

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is there any downside to it? It seems like it would only be a positive addition to the gun. Could the striker hit it when you're trying to fire it normally for some reason and cause it to fail in a self-defense situation?

Not really. While mechanically issues have been reported, they aren't common enough any real pattern of failure to emerge. If you think the benefits outweigh the cost then go for it.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

Only downside is cost, b and ineligibility for some competitive divisions.

I have one on my G48 and love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

I'd like one if I carried a Glock, just as another layer of safety. Especially if I was carrying AIWB, which is why I think they were invented. IIRC Todd Green came up with the idea, when he had previously been iffy on the idea of carrying a Glock AIWB since you don't have any external controls in case something goes wrong on holstering. He had a whole long blog post about the pros and cons of AIWB, and he repeatedly emphasized that if you gently caress up with AIWB you will die.

Question about those Lone Wolf frames (and I guess polymer 80s) that have a different grip angle. Do those cause any issues with feed reliability? Seems like the rim being lower and the nose being higher makes failures to feed more likely, but I don't know if maybe the difference is minor enough that it doesn't cause a problem.

«440 »