Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«440 »
Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'd like one if I carried a Glock, just as another layer of safety. Especially if I was carrying AIWB, which is why I think they were invented. IIRC Todd Green came up with the idea, when he had previously been iffy on the idea of carrying a Glock AIWB since you don't have any external controls in case something goes wrong on holstering. He had a whole long blog post about the pros and cons of AIWB, and he repeatedly emphasized that if you gently caress up with AIWB you will die.

Question about those Lone Wolf frames (and I guess polymer 80s) that have a different grip angle. Do those cause any issues with feed reliability? Seems like the rim being lower and the nose being higher makes failures to feed more likely, but I don't know if maybe the difference is minor enough that it doesn't cause a problem.

AIWB is terrifying. While behind the hip doesn't always point away from you when you walk, bend over etc, a majority of the time it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Sugartime Jones

One good thing about having a belly, I'm not tempted to try and carry AIWB. 4 o'clock owb ftw

SuperDouche
Apr 24, 2008

Howdy goons, I was in the market for a shotgun and/or pistol and jumped on a NIB G17 Gen3 at a local shop. This is babby's first gun, any tips or experiences from any gen3 users would be appreciated. I got three magazines and some ammo. I'm looking into a holster and night sights, anyone have any favorites?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

My favorite night sights are Trijicon HD XR. Another cheap upgrade you can get is the Magpul mag well.

As far as holsters, are you looking for range use or concealed use?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

Nitrousoxide posted:

AIWB is terrifying. While behind the hip doesn't always point away from you when you walk, bend over etc, a majority of the time it does.

Wedges seem like they would help with AIWB, push it out so it is pointing slightly away from you. I don't have an AIWB holster though so I can't confirm, someone else maybe could. The scariest part is really unholstering and holstering, which I don't have experience with because I got my first holster after COVID started and haven't been to the range since. And it's really easy to flag yourself while holstering no matter how you do it. 4 o'clock is a pain in the rear end to keep concealed without something like a field jacket, though. Even sitting down is enough to make my shirts ride up and catch behind it. Nevermind picking something up off the ground.

SuperDouche
Apr 24, 2008

The Rat posted:

My favorite night sights are Trijicon HD XR. Another cheap upgrade you can get is the Magpul mag well.

As far as holsters, are you looking for range use or concealed use?

Range usage, and eventually a concealed one.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The scariest part is really unholstering and holstering
The answer is:

1) Dryfire practice to include drawing the gun
2) Don/doff the gun and holster in one complete unit, don't put the holster on and then insert the gun into the holster.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Sugartime Jones

Craptacular posted:

The answer is:

2) Don/doff the gun and holster in one complete unit, don't put the holster on and then insert the gun into the holster.

This. Gun doesn't come out until you're ready to use it.

E dry fire in a different part of the house without loaded magazines and make sure your unloaded and clear.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also sexism, religious bias, jingoism, and so on. Don't do it, people!

Dogs, don't do it either, even if the police man really tries to train you to do it.

Craptacular posted:

The answer is:

Yeah, that's definitely good advice no matter how you're carrying. As far as reholstering after drawing, the ASP guy advocates for basically sliding the gun up along the holster with the muzzle pointed out until the tip catches on the edge of the holster and then sliding it in that way, which makes a lot of sense. Also doing a bit of a pelvic thrust so the holster is pointing further away from you and watching the gun go in the holster, just basically layers of safety precautions so that if you miss one in a stressful situation you've got others.

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Gabe White aka 'USPSA grandmaster who shot from AIWB because he could' actually did an experiment on this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4fXzLBe81E

Summation: AIWB flags you less the IWB whenever we partake in activities that involve a wide base which include most physical activities. IWB flags you less the closer your legs are to each other.

If you get the chance watch the other stuff on that channel. Dude is a wizard with a pistol.

Food for thought.

AIWB also tend to be more beneficial from a combative standpoint and from seated positions.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Wedges seem like they would help with AIWB, push it out so it is pointing slightly away from you. I don't have an AIWB holster though so I can't confirm, someone else maybe could. The scariest part is really unholstering and holstering, which I don't have experience with because I got my first holster after COVID started and haven't been to the range since. And it's really easy to flag yourself while holstering no matter how you do it. 4 o'clock is a pain in the rear end to keep concealed without something like a field jacket, though. Even sitting down is enough to make my shirts ride up and catch behind it. Nevermind picking something up off the ground.

Picked up a Tenicor AIWB holster to mess around with during quarantine and cutting up a pool noodle to act as a wedge definitely helped. Need to mess around with it some more.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, that's definitely good advice no matter how you're carrying. As far as reholstering after drawing, the ASP guy advocates for basically sliding the gun up along the holster with the muzzle pointed out until the tip catches on the edge of the holster and then sliding it in that way, which makes a lot of sense. Also doing a bit of a pelvic thrust so the holster is pointing further away from you and watching the gun go in the holster, just basically layers of safety precautions so that if you miss one in a stressful situation you've got others.

This guy?

https://youtu.be/VeFdM2Xq_ao

MantisClaw
Jun 3, 2011

That's Chris Baker of Lucky Gunner and Spencer Keepers of Keepers Concealment. 22 Eargesplitten is referring to John Correia of Active Self Protection which is a youtube channel dedicated to performing After Action Reports of Use of Force incidents caught on camera. Correia also has an Active Self Protection Extra channel which focuses more on teaching about gear and techniques that he find useful based on what he sees in those AARs.

There's some good info there but as always, cross reference your information before you make decisions based on youtube.

FauxhawkSatan
Mar 27, 2010

Does anyone have any experience with Bar-sto match fitted barrels? I'm contemplating one for my G34 in a stupid effort to maximize it's capabilities instead of just buying a good gun. I've used various drop ins before with negligible improvements but I think an improved lockup would increase accuracy moreso than just a new barrel.

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

FauxhawkSatan posted:

Does anyone have any experience with Bar-sto match fitted barrels? I'm contemplating one for my G34 in a stupid effort to maximize it's capabilities instead of just buying a good gun. I've used various drop ins before with negligible improvements but I think an improved lockup would increase accuracy moreso than just a new barrel.

Are you planning on shooting bullseye? Match barrels seem like overkill otherwise since the gun is better than me 99% of the time

FauxhawkSatan
Mar 27, 2010

not black enough posted:

Are you planning on shooting bullseye? Match barrels seem like overkill otherwise since the gun is better than me 99% of the time

It's too late, I already bought one. I'm have it fitted hopefully this weekend and shoot it Monday.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Has anybody used Jagemann mags? Primary Arms has them on sale & for under they sound intriguing.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Android Apocalypse posted:

Has anybody used Jagemann mags? Primary Arms has them on sale & for under they sound intriguing.

I don't know, but Captain Log should probably know they're available in lots of pretty colors.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Fun Shoe

poeticoddity posted:

I don't know, but Captain Log should probably know they're available in lots of pretty colors.

:rushed in, breathless:

Who...what..mags?

Edit : What's the primary arms free shipping deal, if any? I don't want to make an account just to find out.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Sugartime Jones

Captain Log posted:

:rushed in, breathless:

Who...what..mags?

Edit : What's the primary arms free shipping deal, if any? I don't want to make an account just to find out.

whoops wrong site...

Syrian Lannister fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 23, 2020

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

poeticoddity posted:

HELLO!!!!

I need these.

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

I got this dumb/rad thing. I'll have to shoot it to know how I truly feel about it, but it's pretty solid.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Liam Acerbus posted:

I got this dumb/rad thing. I'll have to shoot it to know how I truly feel about it, but it's pretty solid.

Thatís ridiculous but I want to play with it

californiasushi
Jun 6, 2004

finally finished the glock 19 with a dot, gonna try to zero it tomorrow morning and hopefully take it out again sunday night to see how the holosun 507 v2 does with 3% moonlight illumination

glock gen 3 g19 complete lower, johnny glock duty trigger (gauges around 4.5#), vickers release, talon rubber grip, brownells rmr slide, holosun, ameriglo suppressor sights, gen 5 g19 barrel, surefire x300v

pictured with other glocks with dots, g17 with sro and g26 with rmr

californiasushi
Jun 6, 2004

tested the g19 with gen 5 barrel at the range today and it does seem more accurate to me than the gen 3/4's we've had. i only had 5 rounds of fed syntech but they all cycled which wasn't the case with our other glocks with dots. best 5-shot group of the day, shot 25y freestyle with 115gr remington umc, about 1.75"

the defoor hat quals i shot weren't pretty though. i was using a safariland 6390rds on my warbelt and i couldn't get a grip i liked out of the holster to get a smooth release so i'll definitely have to play with it. plus i personally don't think the 19 is as easy to shoot accurately, quickly as a g17

FauxhawkSatan
Mar 27, 2010

Got my Bar-sto barrel installed and fires it today. I may do a more in-depth write up later but here are two quick photos that show a good improvement over oem.

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

I finally got around to picking up the recommended surefire x300u-b light. If anyone who has one can weigh in on the battery hinge cover release latch cotter pin I would appreciate the insight. The included cotter pin per the instructions should go through both holes in the latch bracket, but it seems like the cotter pin is obviously too short to allow it to go through both holes and then lock into place. Am I doing something wrong or misinterpreting the instructions?

californiasushi
Jun 6, 2004

tested the g19 with holosun at night and it worked well. i set up an 8" circle steel and a 2/3 ipsc (~12" wide) and tried shooting them at 25y, 50y, and 100y without any ir illumination. both targets were no problem at 25y but i couldn't really engage the 8" steel at 50y or 100y. however, i could still engage and got decent hits at 100y on the 2/3 ipsc even though it's narrower than an 8" steel at 50y, proportionally. the 8" steel had a better coat of paint on it too, for better contrast. here's a quick video of shooting the 2/3 ipsc at 50y, my camera didn't record the 100y string for some reason. click for video

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kbylx3ve6...VI0023.avi?dl=0

SPORK08
Sep 29, 2003
wagon-core

Android Apocalypse posted:

Why do these ultra cheap mags come in .40?

...any leads on dirt cheap .40 mags? I just picked up a PC carbine. Came across a 31rd stick and 50rd drum locally for squat. I've been hoping for a big box of po-surp mags to fill the normal capacity niche.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Emailed KKM about those malfs I was getting with my G20 and they sent me a return label to inspect/modify my barrel. I sent them pics at their request and they said it should be a pretty simple fix.

Pretty nice of them, especially since I got the barrel used.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Can those KKM barrels be used with suppressors? I'm assuming so provided their threading is the same. Anybody run that combo here?

I like my Grey Ghost Gear barrel but I'm curious for those that run it think.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

They make threaded barrels, which I assume are meant to be used with cans.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

I didn't realize KKM has a compensator-specific barrel. Interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

californiasushi
Jun 6, 2004

we have a threaded kkm barrel that i sometimes use with a suppressor on our g26. it seemed to work better than our oem g26 barrel during break-in since it cycled stuff that the oem didn't

«440 »