Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

So something strange happened today.

My G43x has largely been in a safe for the past couple of months so I don't know when or how it happened but back in November I installed the Hyve Monarch trigger. It's been great but when I took it out today I noticed that the pin that holds the safety shoe to the trigger is about 80% of the way out. Just sticking out the side of the trigger. Is there a specific way of getting the pin back into the trigger? Blindly hammering with a nylon hammer doesn't seem to be doing much good.

Edit: Turns out it is a set screw which shouldve been obvious. Weird how it came out on it's own though.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Feb 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

I had a chance to shoot my KKM barrel/comp, RMR on model 45 today and it ran beautifully. I also shot gen3 with the KE compensator and it ran flawlessly as well. I've read I might need a lower power spring but in my experience that hasn't been necessary thus far. Maybe it's due to being shorter 19 length?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

Okay, either talk some sense into me or tell me to take the plunge into Glock insanity.

A buddy is selling a FAB Scout chassis. IGB makes 16” Glock barrels in 9mm, .40, and .357 SIG.

A barrel is more than a tax stamp, but seems like it might be silly non-NFA fun. And barrels are available immediately, unlike tax stamps. 9mm and .40 seem most “practical” but pushing .357 SIG to 1800 FPS has a strange allure.

WSYTFR

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

infrared35 posted:

Okay, either talk some sense into me or tell me to take the plunge into Glock insanity.

A buddy is selling a FAB Scout chassis. IGB makes 16” Glock barrels in 9mm, .40, and .357 SIG.

A barrel is more than a tax stamp, but seems like it might be silly non-NFA fun. And barrels are available immediately, unlike tax stamps. 9mm and .40 seem most “practical” but pushing .357 SIG to 1800 FPS has a strange allure.

WSYTFR

Honestly, unless the multiple calibers thing is a huge deal, a Ruger PC Carbine with the Glock mag well installed seems like a significantly better purchase.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

poeticoddity posted:

Honestly, unless the multiple calibers thing is a huge deal, a Ruger PC Carbine with the Glock mag well installed seems like a significantly better purchase.

Counterpoint: SBR glocks are amazing.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

If I were gonna SBR a Glock, it'd be with the B&T USW chassis.

That said, I'm real iffy on SBRing a plastic frame that the dog can chew up.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The Rat posted:

If I were gonna SBR a Glock, it'd be with the B&T USW chassis.

That said, I'm real iffy on SBRing a plastic frame that the dog can chew up.

I'm using the recover tactical brace+buttstock and a VFG on mine. Super happy with it.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

infrared35 posted:

WSYTFR
I'm not sure I understand, you're going to run the Glock inside the chassis with a 16" barrel? Does a handgun with a 16" aftermarket barrel cycle reliably?

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

poeticoddity posted:

I’ve already got a “practical” PCC. This just got me thinking about something sort of ridiculous.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Does a handgun with a 16" aftermarket barrel cycle reliably?

In this case, yeah. These barrels are are made in Austria and specifically designed for the task.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

I'm not a big fan of those pistol chassis kits in any configuration. They just seem like bootleg SBRs.

HOWEVER

If goofy range time fun is what you're after, the 16" .357 SIG sounds like it will do the trick.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

I shot one of the pistol chassis' with a suppressor and it was really fun but since the barrel is right by your face I ingested a bunch of gas which sucked.

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

After a six week wait, my Glock 17 returned from its optics cut adventure. Both the actual milling and refinishing look excellent. I opted for the black nitride refinishing, which looks just like the stock nDLC from the factory.

Today it only took 20 or so rounds to zero the RMR. Following that, my next hour was full of accurate and fun target shooting. One thing I noticed was that the laser was swaying with every little hand adjustment. Maybe my grip needs some improvement or the fact that I have astigmatism, but I was still a bit surprised. Overall I was very pleased.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Sy Borg posted:

After a six week wait, my Glock 17 returned from its optics cut adventure. Both the actual milling and refinishing look excellent. I opted for the black nitride refinishing, which looks just like the stock nDLC from the factory.

Today it only took 20 or so rounds to zero the RMR. Following that, my next hour was full of accurate and fun target shooting. One thing I noticed was that the laser was swaying with every little hand adjustment. Maybe my grip needs some improvement or the fact that I have astigmatism, but I was still a bit surprised. Overall I was very pleased.

So your dot will always dance around in the window. It just makes obvious the movement irons don't show you.

Really precise shooting requires getting used to the sway and pulling the trigger when it's on the right spot.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Your gun was always moving that much, you just couldn’t detect how much because the eye can’t get that much feedback from irons.

This is one (of the many many) reasons why learning to shoot with an optic is good, you get a lot more immediate feedback than with irons.

Sy Borg
Sep 20, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Internet Wizard posted:

Your gun was always moving that much, you just couldn’t detect how much because the eye can’t get that much feedback from irons.

This is one (of the many many) reasons why learning to shoot with an optic is good, you get a lot more immediate feedback than with irons.

It’s funny you mention that. I felt more satisfied correcting errors using the optics. My groupings were much more consistent.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It's always funny to watch people with a laser pointer shoot at the range, it moves a lot more than you'd expect. I'm not saying I'd do any better, just that it really illustrates any mistakes and/or movement.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Does anyone have any experience with the Aimpoint T1 mount for glocks?

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

bulletsponge13 posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the Aimpoint T1 mount for glocks?

Like the 6 second mount or a slide mount?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Atticus_1354 posted:

Like the 6 second mount or a slide mount?

The one that fits the dovetail. I'd prefer not to mill my slide, but I also really like the idea of a T1 type optic for EDC.
I really want a Balor, but for some reason they don't work with G5 slides.

E- dude took my offer on eBay for a Balor.

It WILL work with G5. I will make it.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 10, 2021

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008
Prepare yourself for some obtuse logic--->

bulletsponge13 posted:

The one that fits the dovetail. I'd prefer not to mill my slide, but I also really like the idea of a T1 type optic for EDC.
I really want a Balor, but for some reason they don't work with G5 slides.

E- dude took my offer on eBay for a Balor.

It WILL work with G5. I will make it.

A T1 seems huge for EDC.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Toshokan posted:

A T1 seems huge for EDC.

Yeah that sounds not great. Plus those dovetail mounts already raise the sight way high. Just get the slide milled for a holosun like a normal boring person.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

No.

I'm a big gently caress- I can CCW a FN 45 with dot. I like tube style. If it doesn't work out, oh well.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

I think KE Arms is experimented with a forward-mounted T1 and it worked pretty well but you obviously had to have a custom holster made.

And that was still a milled slide.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

Glock 34 with an Alg setup and that raven holster they made

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

The concern I'd have of a rear sight mount for something like a T1 is the mass of said optic on such a small footprint.

Like others said, I'd go ALG 6-Second mount or milled slide for your optic. Though milling a slide for a T1 means a lot of mass added, which at that point I'd be concerned with cycling.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Eh, we'll figure it out together.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008
Prepare yourself for some obtuse logic--->

bulletsponge13 posted:

No.

I'm a big gently caress- I can CCW a FN 45 with dot. I like tube style. If it doesn't work out, oh well.

Why not get an Acro or a Holosun 509?

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

So where is the limit where you've bolted so much extra weight to your slide that you compromise reliability?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Styles Bitchley posted:

So where is the limit where you've bolted so much extra weight to your slide that you compromise reliability?

Let's find out together!

I'm not sweating it- I'm not going to slap this together, and roll. I will make sure it works. And if it doesnt? Who cares. I'll just change it up later.

Toshokan posted:

Why not get an Acro or a Holosun 509?

ACRO has battery life issues. The Holosun was on my list of considerations, but I like the tube style sights better. I'll probably be putting a Holosun tube model on it anyways.

bulletsponge13 fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 10, 2021

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

Eh, we'll figure it out together.

Please post lots of pictures.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The acro battery life "issues" aren't that bad at all, considering how cheap batteries are and how easy it is to swap in my opinion.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

bulletsponge13 posted:

Let's find out together!

I'm not sweating it- I'm not going to slap this together, and roll. I will make sure it works. And if it doesnt? Who cares. I'll just change it up later.

I was making more of a general question about putting red dots on pistols, but maybe you'll have a good test project.

When slide mounted red dots first came out I thought that would be an issue, obviously it hasn't been. I guess if you had really weak ammo maybe?

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Styles Bitchley posted:

What's the weight difference between the longest slide Glock and the shortest on the same frame? Let's say 17L and whatever the sub-compact 9 is called. Some where outside of that, I'd imagine.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Styles Bitchley posted:

Nothing stronger ammo and a stronger spring can't fix (I have no idea, that just sounds good)

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Heavier slide requires lighter springs. There are plenty of people who make adjustable and varied recoil springs. I can always gently caress with that, too.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Is the Roland Special out of favor now?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

This is the Van Owen Special.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

lite_sleepr posted:

I hope not; I'm just starting to warm up to the idea.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno

lite_sleepr posted:

I don't think so, but I think people are realizing that it has a niche and it ain't stuffing it into your pants

e: for those that don't know, the original niche is a pistol that is very competent under NODs. Red dot is much easier to pick up than irons, the comp keeps the dot in view, and the magwell is for a better margin of error on a reload when your close up vision is compromised.

MazeOfTzeentch fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I don't think so, but I think people are realizing that it has a niche and it ain't stuffing it into your pants

e: for those that don't know, the original niche is a pistol that is very competent under NODs. Red dot is much easier to pick up than irons, the comp keeps the dot in view, and the magwell is for a better margin of error on a reload when your close up vision is compromised.

So not just instagram?