Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Gin and Juche posted:

So something strange happened today.

My G43x has largely been in a safe for the past couple of months so I don't know when or how it happened but back in November I installed the Hyve Monarch trigger. It's been great but when I took it out today I noticed that the pin that holds the safety shoe to the trigger is about 80% of the way out. Just sticking out the side of the trigger. Is there a specific way of getting the pin back into the trigger? Blindly hammering with a nylon hammer doesn't seem to be doing much good.

Edit: Turns out it is a set screw which shouldve been obvious. Weird how it came out on it's own though.

Maybe a dab of loctite? I have this trigger in my G43X and I never want to touch a stock glock trigger again. I'm gonna go check my safe to make sure mine's still staying put.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008
Prepare yourself for some obtuse logic--->

knuthgrush posted:

Maybe a dab of loctite? I have this trigger in my G43X and I never want to touch a stock glock trigger again. I'm gonna go check my safe to make sure mine's still staying put.

I've been thinking of upgrading my M&P Shield trigger from stock. How does the Monarch compare to the one from Apex? Is the Apex really worth double the price?

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Toshokan posted:

I've been thinking of upgrading my M&P Shield trigger from stock. How does the Monarch compare to the one from Apex? Is the Apex really worth double the price?

I've not had any experience with the apex triggers but the monarch was well worth the money. I'd have probably been convinced if the price were doubled. The flat face really helps with fatigue and the break+reset are crisp.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

knuthgrush posted:

I've not had any experience with the apex triggers but the monarch was well worth the money. I'd have probably been convinced if the price were doubled. The flat face really helps with fatigue and the break+reset are crisp.

Interesting, thanks. I've never swapped out the stock triggers from any of my pistols before, only long guns. Maybe I'm being irrationally apprehensive, but I have these nagging worries about carrying it with a trigger I changed myself and having something fail on it when I needed it or getting an ND or something.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Toshokan posted:

Interesting, thanks. I've never swapped out the stock triggers from any of my pistols before, only long guns. Maybe I'm being irrationally apprehensive, but I have these nagging worries about carrying it with a trigger I changed myself and having something fail on it when I needed it or getting an ND or something.

Understandable and I felt similarly until I just took my Glock apart and stared at it for a while. The trigger group is really hard to mess up, I think. Watch a couple of videos on installation and it'll make more sense. I feel just as safe with the Monarch as I do the stock trigger group.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I don't think so, but I think people are realizing that it has a niche and it ain't stuffing it into your pants

e: for those that don't know, the original niche is a pistol that is very competent under NODs. Red dot is much easier to pick up than irons, the comp keeps the dot in view, and the magwell is for a better margin of error on a reload when your close up vision is compromised.

If it was supposed to fill the niche of ďhandgun shot wearing NODsĒ it would have a laser or IR illuminator instead of a flashlight.

The Roland Special was brainstormed by a SOF guy looking to put together a version of a Glock he enjoyed as much as a 1911, because he preferred shooting 1911s but couldnít deny the glock was a better sidearm choice. His original posts about it talked a lot about putting the ďsoulĒ back into the Glock. Itís essentially his attempt at making the ideal duty sidearm from back when the idea of putting both a dot and a comp on a pistol were new and untested.

These days people still make very similar guns, but there isnít really a benefit in sticking to JUST an RMR and JUST a KE Arms comp. There are other options that serve different purposes better.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

My Van Owen is a 19x, TLR, Glockmeister comp (enroute), and a tube dot (for now).

There are some...other plans, but they have to wait until I get a lathe.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Toshokan posted:

Ive got an Apex in my G19 and its been a fantastic upgrade. Near zero takeup, snappy break, and tactile reset. If/when I get more plastic guns, those will be getting Apex triggers too.

knuthgrush
Jun 25, 2008

Be brave; clench fists.

Gray Stormy posted:

Ive got an Apex in my G19 and its been a fantastic upgrade. Near zero takeup, snappy break, and tactile reset. If/when I get more plastic guns, those will be getting Apex triggers too.

Guess that settles it... or not!

Both seem to be excellent triggers. I kind of want to look up the Apex now and try it side by side with the Monarch I already have.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

Gray Stormy posted:

Ugh, it's so hard to choose between the two. My miserly side wants to pick the Monarch because it's half the price, but the "buy once, cry once" side is saying get the Apex and be done with it.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Toshokan posted:

Ugh, it's so hard to choose between the two. My miserly side wants to pick the Monarch because it's half the price, but the "buy once, cry once" side is saying get the Apex and be done with it.

The overwatch precision polydat is like $60 and is absolutely fantastic in my opinion.

infrared35
Jan 12, 2005

border patrol qt

Plaster Town Cop

L0cke17 posted:

The overwatch precision polydat is like $60 and is absolutely fantastic in my opinion.

How is that different from the Falx?

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

L0cke17 posted:

I use these in my glocks and Iíve enjoyed all of them.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

infrared35 posted:

How is that different from the Falx?

Itís plastic not aluminum. And itís flat faced. And cheaper.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

L0cke17 posted:

drat, they don't make any M&P models. Well, maybe I'll pick one up for my Glock instead.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

I'm not touching my G19's internals until I'm able to go put a couple hundred rounds through it. But after getting it milled and dotted, it sure is tempting to go full on Gucci Glock with it.

Even if I compete with it down the line, I'm not going to be topping any charts. I don't have to whinge over, "Should I get a G34 for all that?" My G19 in my second oldest pistol and been on nightstand duty for decades now. I lurve it.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

Captain Log posted:

I'm not touching my G19's internals until I'm able to go put a couple hundred rounds through it. But after getting it milled and dotted, it sure is tempting to go full on Gucci Glock with it.

Even if I compete with it down the line, I'm not going to be topping any charts. I don't have to whinge over, "Should I get a G34 for all that?" My G19 in my second oldest pistol and been on nightstand duty for decades now. I lurve it.

I'm not really a Gucci Glock person. I'm mostly just looking for some upgrades that might help me shoot mine and my other non-Glock pistols better without forking over huge amounts of money, compromising safety for carry, making it huge and difficult to carry, etc.

I've gone so long with stock triggers on every pistol, but I've started upgrading to optics and it's such a world of difference to me that I'm starting to consider changing triggers as well.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"

Toshokan posted:

I'm not really a Gucci Glock person. I'm mostly just looking for some upgrades that might help me shoot mine and my other non-Glock pistols better without forking over huge amounts of money, compromising safety for carry, making it huge and difficult to carry, etc.

I've gone so long with stock triggers on every pistol, but I've started upgrading to optics and it's such a world of difference to me that I'm starting to consider changing triggers as well.

Same.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The Overwatch polymer trigger is really good and at a very competitive price

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

That's what I was going to say, although I bought an Overwatch TAC (gold) on sale for $79 in 2019 and it looks like they're $135 now. But I don't know if the current version is different than mine.

I did not have good luck with lighter striker springs, they worked great until they didn't.

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005

I'm having a hell of a time getting the dot zeroed on my G40 and I don't have any idea what the problem could be. My first thought was the ammo; shooting off a rest the hits were very inconsistent at every range I tried, but it's the only type I have access to currently so I don't have a comparison. I'm using a Holosun 507c on the included MOS plate. I've dialed in a few of these pistol and long gun red dots in the last couple months and this is the only one I've had a problem with. I'm going to try to find different ammo and maybe see if I can borrow a ransom rest or something I guess

I mounted the dot straight away so I don't have the irons as a baseline, that will be my next step but I'm open to suggestions anybody else may have.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Forum Hussy posted:

I'm having a hell of a time getting the dot zeroed on my G40 and I don't have any idea what the problem could be. My first thought was the ammo; shooting off a rest the hits were very inconsistent at every range I tried, but it's the only type I have access to currently so I don't have a comparison. I'm using a Holosun 507c on the included MOS plate. I've dialed in a few of these pistol and long gun red dots in the last couple months and this is the only one I've had a problem with. I'm going to try to find different ammo and maybe see if I can borrow a ransom rest or something I guess

I mounted the dot straight away so I don't have the irons as a baseline, that will be my next step but I'm open to suggestions anybody else may have.

To verify, you've mounted and shot other red dots on pistols before? If so, which combos were you using?

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005

Android Apocalypse posted:

To verify, you've mounted and shot other red dots on pistols before? If so, which combos were you using?

Correct. I sent my g48 slide off to be milled and it came back with the 507k installed but not zeroed, and I have an FN 509 compact with another 507c mounted with FN's weird multi-plate system. I was able to get both set to POA/POI relatively easily, under 50 rounds or so each, but I think I'm pushing 250 on the 10mm. I'm not sure I can afford to keep chasing it

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Forum Hussy posted:

Either it's shifting under recoil or the dot is broken.

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

NickBlasta posted:

Either it's shifting under recoil or the dot is broken.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe try this 507 on the FN and the FN 507 on the Glock, which should help diagnose whether it's the dot or the pistol that is the issue.

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005

Toshokan posted:

That's what I was thinking. Maybe try this 507 on the FN and the FN 507 on the Glock, which should help diagnose whether it's the dot or the pistol that is the issue.

Did this today and was able to zero the FN again no problem. Iím going to take the dot off the Glock entirely and shoot it tomorrow and see what happens then. Still need to track down some different ammo as well. If it shoots fine with the irons Iíll probably spring for a C&H plate

Liam Acerbus
Sep 17, 2007

Finally grabbed the comp that goes with Griffin Cam-Lok. I'm curious how well it works.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

I was not a fan of the polydat trigger, I liked the stock trigger better. If you dont mind spending the $$$ then Johnny Glock is p. great.

Or you could just sell your glock and get a P320 X5 and a Grey Guns trigger and ever look back..

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005

Forum Hussy posted:

Did this today and was able to zero the FN again no problem. Iím going to take the dot off the Glock entirely and shoot it tomorrow and see what happens then. Still need to track down some different ammo as well. If it shoots fine with the irons Iíll probably spring for a C&H plate

I think I figured out my problem. Took the dot off and ran the irons with both some new ammo (PMC) and the stuff I've been shooting, 5 rounds each @ 7 yards:

Buy good ammo kids At least I only have like 400 rounds of that poo poo leftover

Forum Hussy fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 17, 2021

Toshokan
Apr 11, 2008

Forum Hussy posted:

I think I figured out my problem. Took the dot off and ran the irons with both some new ammo (PMC) and the stuff I've been shooting, 5 rounds each @ 7 yards:

Buy good ammo kids At least I only have like 400 rounds of that poo poo leftover

Ah, I see. I just naturally assumed you were trying to zero the dot with carry ammo or it's ball analogue (e.g., 147gr TMJ for Gold Dots).

AKZ
Nov 4, 2009

Ceros_X posted:

Or you could just sell your glock and get a P320 X5 and a Grey Guns trigger and ever look back..

Nah, I'm good.

Forum Hussy
Feb 8, 2005

Toshokan posted:

Ah, I see. I just naturally assumed you were trying to zero the dot with carry ammo or it's ball analogue (e.g., 147gr TMJ for Gold Dots).

Thatís what I do with my carry guns but this bigass 10mm is pretty much only a range gun, I figured Iíd dial it in with range ammo. This stuff claims to be 180gr@1200fps, is new (or at least very clean) brass, and it feeds and fires every time so I expected some sort of quality control but if it looks like itís keyholing and shooting 3Ē+ at 7 yards then there wasnít a chance of getting the dot set up with it

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Ordered a Polymer80 OD G19 frame.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

You gonna Roland/Fauxland Special it?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Not sure yet, still looking at options.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Still needs paint, and I'm angry I found the original ideas for my comp after I bought a different one.

But the Van Owen Special is done for now.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Has anybody picked up one of the G44's and slapped a red dot on it? I'm thinking of getting one but I learned the slide is a mix of metal/plastic & I'm concerned about cycling issues. Apparently running a suppressor helps a lot as the increased back pressure aids in moving the extra weight on the slide, but a .22lr can is waaaaaaay down the road.

Atticus_1354
Dec 9, 2006

Don't you go near that dog, you understand? Don't go near him, he's just as dangerous dead as alive.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Has anybody picked up one of the G44's and slapped a red dot on it? I'm thinking of getting one but I learned the slide is a mix of metal/plastic & I'm concerned about cycling issues. Apparently running a suppressor helps a lot as the increased back pressure aids in moving the extra weight on the slide, but a .22lr can is waaaaaaay down the road.

Seems like the G44 does not share the same glock reliability as the bigger ones. I can't imagine a dot would improve that.

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

In terms of a red dot .22 striker pistols it seems like the best option is the TX-22 Competition that just came out. Dot above the action so there aren't issues with cycling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Funny enough one of my friends picked up 2 of those TX-22's as trainer guns for new shooters. I'll look into them.