Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good Will Punting
Aug 30, 2009

And as the curtain falls
Just know you did it all except lift weights

Aggro posted:

I definitely have to check it out then. I've always used A Day to Remember as a prime example of a band that'd be so much better if they just toned the metalcore poo poo down a notch.

Same. Loved like 3/4 of their songs, then hated parts of the rest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005
I get the chills thinking that one day this fuckwit may be right
I kind of like ADTR, but I could never really get fully into it. I really like some of the tracks on Homesick, like Downfall of Us All and NJ Legion Iced Tea, but I'm not sure I like all of it. Also, I really hate that one breakdown where he goes "DISRESPECT YOUR SURROUNDINGS". I always hear that and I'm like "Why should I do that?"

Also, I've listened to "Sticks and Bricks" and "2nd Sucks" and both tracks are way more hardcore than Homesick, so I really don't know what some people are talking about.

Keeping this thread alive though, I've really been into "electronicore" (as I've heard it called). Abandon All Ships' "Geeving" is my current favorite album, followed by I See Stars' "3-D".

I hate myself so much, but I just can't get enough of it.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

OdorousTobacco posted:

Also, I've listened to "Sticks and Bricks" and "2nd Sucks" and both tracks are way more hardcore than Homesick, so I really don't know what some people are talking about.

Keeping this thread alive though, I've really been into "electronicore" (as I've heard it called). Abandon All Ships' "Geeving" is my current favorite album, followed by I See Stars' "3-D".

Those two tracks and "You Be Tails, I'll Be Sonic" are easily the most hardcore tracks on the new ADTR, the rest are more hardcore.

Also, listen to the Woe, Is Me and The Word Alive full-lengths if you dig that electronic poo poo. They do it right.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

So Craig Owens's new band (D.R.U.G.S. lmao) released their new single and it's somewhat surprising how bad this song can be even though it has Craig Owens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOChQZkBZHM

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005

synapse posted:

So Craig Owens's new band (D.R.U.G.S. lmao) released their new single and it's somewhat surprising how bad this song can be even though it has Craig Owens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOChQZkBZHM

It also has Pete Wentz. Wentz hasn't been good since "Take This to Your Grave".

Or the super-scene kid in me says, Wentz hasn't been good since Arma Angelus.

Edit: I'm wrong, apparently. Did Wentz at least produce this or something? Why did I think he was attached to this?

OdorousTobacco fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 14, 2010

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

OdorousTobacco posted:

I kinda like some of I See Stars' songs (especially the last track on the album), but gently caress, Abandon All Ships is so incredibly crappy and horrible. Goddamn that band should just die.

OdorousTobacco posted:

It also has Pete Wentz. Wentz hasn't been good since "Take This to Your Grave".

Or the super-scene kid in me says, Wentz hasn't been good since Arma Angelus.

Edit: I'm wrong, apparently. Did Wentz at least produce this or something? Why did I think he was attached to this?

They are signed to Wentz' label Decaydance - that's about it.

Eight Is Legend fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 14, 2010

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005

Eight Is Legend posted:

I kinda like some of I See Stars' songs (especially the last track on the album), but gently caress, Abandon All Ships is so incredibly crappy and horrible. Goddamn that band should just die.

I know. I agree. In fact, I first discovered Abandon All Ships in a NMD "Post Crappy Local Bands" thread. And yet...I love it. And I hate myself so much for that.

At least the one song "Family Goretrait" (second worst title on the album, only behind "Bro My God") features Rody from Protest the Hero.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

OdorousTobacco posted:

I know. I agree. In fact, I first discovered Abandon All Ships in a NMD "Post Crappy Local Bands" thread. And yet...I love it. And I hate myself so much for that.

At least the one song "Family Goretrait" (second worst title on the album, only behind "Bro My God") features Rody from Protest the Hero.

gently caress, seriously? What the hell is he doing with those tools?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Eight Is Legend posted:

gently caress, seriously? What the hell is he doing with those tools?

They're signed to the same Canadian label (and are both Canadian bands), that's the most I can make of a connection.

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005

deadwing posted:

They're signed to the same Canadian label (and are both Canadian bands), that's the most I can make of a connection.

They've also toured together through Canada.

I'm more confused how Bizzy Bone ended up on I See Stars' album.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

OdorousTobacco posted:

They've also toured together through Canada.

I'm more confused how Bizzy Bone ended up on I See Stars' album.

Still, I'd have guessed he would have a bit more integrity than that. Oh well.

Has anyone listened to PMtoday's "In Medias Res"? It might just be one of my favorite albums of 2010. http://www.myspace.com/pmtoday - RIYL: Circa Survive, The Receiving End of Sirens, Tides of Man, In:Aviate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OofZCahXvQ0

Dick Danger
Oct 13, 2010

Gee Gee Baby Baby

quote:

Scenecore
Sorry I just can't stop laughing. This made my day.

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

We are a couple, not a duo
No mention of the new song by TREOS? I'm not entirely convinced it's new, probably a leftover song they didn't put on the album originally for whatever reason. Either way it rules and you should listen and then buy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Meus2WH4kcA

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Dear Sergio posted:

No mention of the new song by TREOS? I'm not entirely convinced it's new, probably a leftover song they didn't put on the album originally for whatever reason. Either way it rules and you should listen and then buy it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Meus2WH4kcA

Song owns. I didn't realize the deluxe LP was out. Maybe we'll finally see their goddamn DVD soon.

Aggro fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 15, 2010

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Welp, I just bought the new The Human Abstract single, Faust.

Just let me put this on ...

:aaa:

Dear Sergio
Sep 7, 2008

We are a couple, not a duo

Aggro posted:

Song owns. I didn't realize the deluxe LP was out. Maybe we'll finally see their goddamn DVD soon.

I read an interview with Brenden saying that they were going to package a whole bunch of poo poo together including the deluxe LP and DVD but apparently it didn't happen. Want that DVD so bad.

tickytack
May 30, 2009

Repent Repent Repent Repent

Eight Is Legend posted:

Still, I'd have guessed he would have a bit more integrity than that. Oh well.

Has anyone listened to PMtoday's "In Medias Res"? It might just be one of my favorite albums of 2010. http://www.myspace.com/pmtoday - RIYL: Circa Survive, The Receiving End of Sirens, Tides of Man, In:Aviate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OofZCahXvQ0

Jesus Christ, PMtoday? I saw these kids play what must have been one of their first shows when they were like sixteen. Good for them. Haven't even thought of that name in probably five years.

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005
Chiming in on the Senses Fail discussion:

I first kind of got into them when they opened for Finch on like their first tour after getting signed to Drive-thru (From the Depths wasn't even out yet).

And I've thought they were moderately enjoyable since then. I was a huge supporter when Heath from Midtown joined, because Midtown is one of my all-time favorites.

That said, goddrat is Buddy a terrible lyricist. "My head now spins and my ears bleed gold/I tried so loving hard but I can't fit your mold". "I'm trying to pretend/oh, in wanting life to end/that I am not another stupid little teenage loving whore". "I'm stuck in a coma, stuck in a never-ending sleep/Some day I will wake up and realize I made up everything".

He sucks. Worst off all, around the time (I think) Still Searching came out, I read an interview with him where he was comparing himself to Kerouac and Bukowski and I wanted to stab him.

Good Will Punting
Aug 30, 2009

And as the curtain falls
New TBS:

http://soundcloud.com/adamdamnlazzara/bestplacestobeamom

I like it a lot!

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma

Eight Is Legend posted:

Been listening to The Receiving End of Sirens these last couple of days... goddamn they were an awesome band. "Between the Heart and the Synapse" is probably one of my favorite records ever. Anyone else here like 'em?

Thank you so much for talking about these guys, I listened to them after I read this and haven't stopped listening for days. That album is quickly becoming one of my favourites.

welp
Nov 3, 2007

DEAR GOD

Good Will Punting posted:

New TBS:

http://soundcloud.com/adamdamnlazzara/bestplacestobeamom

I like it a lot!

I really hope this is the more current version of the song
; it sounds so much better.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Bonye West posted:

Thank you so much for talking about these guys, I listened to them after I read this and haven't stopped listening for days. That album is quickly becoming one of my favourites.

Oh poo poo, you haven't listened to it before? Good for you, man - glad you like 'em.

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005
Although it wasn't their last last show, I saw TREOS at Bamboozle 08 when Casey came out to play with them and it was amazing.

A girl I knew had gone to the show in RI the Friday prior, the one they filmed the DVD at.

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma

Eight Is Legend posted:

Oh poo poo, you haven't listened to it before? Good for you, man - glad you like 'em.

Nope, I'm less than a week into them and trying to spread them to everyone I know, I absolutely love Between the Heart and the Synapse. I need to give the other one more listens but I can't pull myself away. It's even giving the Kanye album a run for it's money right now.

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;
I was at the TREOS reunion show in Worcester and they played with Casey and it was loving amazing. I've had the chance to see them a bunch seeing as all the members are from my area (Providence). Such nice dudes. Weird seeing a band going from playing Legion shows all the way to music videos on MTV. One time they had a show lined up but something to do with label issues after they just got signed meant they couldn't be posted as playing so they used the alias The Red Eye of Saraumon. They did this other times as well and when other semi-big local bands started to play secret shows they would use aliases. Vanna used the alias Pat Sajak once when they played a show with ETID/FYS right before driving an hour to play a private birthday party. Half the kids in attendance didn't understand what was going on and were going the rest of the night looking for Pat Sajak.

But yeah, TREOS.

coronalight fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Nov 18, 2010

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Thanks for mentioning TREOS again guys. Now I have to play BTHATS about a hundred more times while holding out false hope that they'll come to their senses and tour again. As others have mentioned, their final shows at Lupo's and Harper's Ferry were unbelievably good. I'll probably never be able to see a performance like that again where both the band and the audience are so emotionally invested in everything that's going on.

The first time I saw them do a Red Eye of Soromon show was when they played in some old church in Medford, Mass. I didn't have a car, and there's no public transit out to there, so I met random people on a fan message board who hooked me up. We ended up seeing them together like a dozen more times, including the warm-up show they did the night before Skatefest :3: :3:

I also just found out that Therefore I Am, a Boston band that TREOS played with all the loving time, broke up recently. They coincidentally have a final show on Friday at Lupo's.

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;
I really want to be able to go. I loving love Therefore I Am. What's even worse is Alex has recently started recognizing me and he asked me if I was going and I had to tell him no :(

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

I just wish Therefore I Am had realized that the best song they ever made was 45 Miles, and that if they had stuck with that sound, The Sound of Human Lives would've sold like gangbusters. Alex has an amazing voice, and it didn't get utilized at all on their last album.

welp
Nov 3, 2007

DEAR GOD
So the new My Chemical Romance album is ... pretty weird? I thought The Black Parade was just a phase and that they'd go back to their Three Cheers sound, but now they've made themselves into the futuristic version of The Warriors? I mean, I guess the album isn't awful but I think this band is having an identity crisis.

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005

welp posted:

So the new My Chemical Romance album is ... pretty weird? I thought The Black Parade was just a phase and that they'd go back to their Three Cheers sound, but now they've made themselves into the futuristic version of The Warriors? I mean, I guess the album isn't awful but I think this band is having an identity crisis.

I think part of their identity crisis is the fact that in the nearly 4 years since the Black Parade, they've become irrelevant and a huge parody of the "scene" in general. poo poo changes quick nowadays.

I read in interviews that this album was gonna be "stripped down" and "grittier" and "just guitar, bass, drums, vocals" but it's not another 3 Cheers like I'd hope.

This album is MCR's Crash Love, or even This Addiction. That is to say, their attempts to "return to form" just bring them further away from what people liked about them to begin with.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

OdorousTobacco posted:

This album is MCR's Crash Love, or even This Addiction. That is to say, their attempts to "return to form" just bring them further away from what people liked about them to begin with.
the difference is that Crash Love does not, to my recollection, contain anything completely embarrassingly stupid (ridiculous concept bullshit, trumpet solos, etc.)

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma
My first listen through of the new MCR I was like :negative: but their music tends to start slow with me, today I noticed I was nodding along and getting into more songs. It's very different than their other albums but it seems to be growing on me so I may end up really liking it.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

I'm still just adoring that they ripped off a riff from Powerman 5000 for Planetary (GO!). Such a strange, strange thing to do.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I really like the art rocky direction MCR went, I dunno I guess I'm just a sucker for ridiculous bombast.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
Am I the only one who listened to the new MCR album and then realized I'm not 14 years old anymore? I mean I really enjoyed MCR 5 years ago but I just can't vibe with album. It's definitely not bad, it's just lead me to depressing realizations.

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma

Brett824 posted:

Am I the only one who listened to the new MCR album and then realized I'm not 14 years old anymore? I mean I really enjoyed MCR 5 years ago but I just can't vibe with album. It's definitely not bad, it's just lead me to depressing realizations.

They definitely have a "songs for teenagers" aspect, it's a slow process for me. I still love Three Cheers and Black Parade, this album definitely is a little more poppy and "young." Although I did get a kick out of the video for Na Na Na.

Good Will Punting
Aug 30, 2009

And as the curtain falls
The video for "Na Na Na" was great. If this album is as loud and boisterous as I imagine it to be, I'm going to be really pleased.

Going to listen in a bit.

Edit: Loved it on first listen. Bit easier to listen to than I expected. Catchier than I expected. I am really, really pleased. I went in with the attitude of not at all expecting anything that sounded like My Chem and was handsomely rewarded.

Good Will Punting fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 22, 2010

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like a lot of it, but also find some songs (such as "S/C/A/R/E/C/R/O/W") incredibly boring. Also Destroya is reminding me of another band but I can't think which. It's specifically the first verse, the heavy riffing with the dual vocals. Anyone got any ideas?

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

So I'm really digging Danger Days. I really enjoyed the Black Parade, but was prepared for something completely different. I am very pleased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma
Bulletproof Heart is my favorite so far, getting more and more into it, I'll say Party Poison is my least favorite for sure.

• Locked thread