Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
huntersan
Oct 25, 2007

The future is bulletproof. The aftermath is secondary.
I cannot say enough about how much I love the way the album ends. I mean come on, the freaking national anthem, followed by the most kickass raw slab of pure punk rock that the band has ever written, is just far and away the best thing the band has ever done in my opinion.

Overall I really like this album. I think that its great that MCR is completly shedding the dark emo look/feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005
I get the chills thinking that one day this fuckwit may be right
Been re-listening to Against Me!'s "New Wave" recently. gently caress that's a good album.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

OdorousTobacco posted:

Been re-listening to Against Me!'s "New Wave" recently. gently caress that's a good album.

That was actually the first Against Me! record I listened to, and yeah, I agree. I wonder whether I would think the same if I started with their earlier records, though.

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005

Eight Is Legend posted:

That was actually the first Against Me! record I listened to, and yeah, I agree. I wonder whether I would think the same if I started with their earlier records, though.

I started with random songs before I saw them open for Alk3 on the Occult Roots tour ('06 I think, when Alk3 played Goddamnit start to finish and then played another full set including "gently caress You Aurora" for the first time in years), but the only songs I really liked by Against Me! were "Sink, Florida, Sink" and "Don't Lose Touch".

Then "New Wave" came out and I really enjoyed it, so I went back and I tried to listen to "Searching for a Former Clarity" and...it just didn't do it for me.

Leercore
Nov 2, 2007

The general consensus among the majority of long-time Against Me! fans I know is that New Wave and White Crosses are bad albums.

I, however, think they both own. :colbert:

lostatsea
Oct 23, 2005

Set Yourself On Fire
Regarding Senses Fail, is it correct that Heath is no longer in the band? Did he contribute in any way to the new album? I've given it a few spins and it seems to be lacking in the lead guitar dept. I really liked songs off of "Life is not a waiting room", especially the leads in Garden State.

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005

lostatsea posted:

Regarding Senses Fail, is it correct that Heath is no longer in the band? Did he contribute in any way to the new album? I've given it a few spins and it seems to be lacking in the lead guitar dept. I really liked songs off of "Life is not a waiting room", especially the leads in Garden State.

That is correct. The only albums he was featured on were "Life is Not a Waiting Room" and "Still Searching".

welp
Nov 3, 2007

DEAR GOD
Blink 182 album before next summer if all goes according to plan. sweet heavenly lords, finally.

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005
So what's up with this?:

http://www.skateandsurffest.com/

I'd love them to bring this back, but obviously the window of "Fall 2010" has pretty much come and gone. I couldn't find much info on it, except for some things that said it was supposed to be in October 2010, and the fact that Midtown claimed they wanted to reunite for this, and that they would play each of their 3 albums on a different night.

I would so loving be there.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
I came here only to say that the new BMTH album is the one I like the most, probably due to it having more than 2 notes per song and electronic stuff. My friends hate it tho. What do you people think?

RagingPawn
Nov 29, 2007
Its the best thing they have released, closely followed by the first ep. It's just much more musically interesting than the other things they have done, especially the electronic parts. The songs with Lights are my favourite I think, her voice just fits so well.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Cable posted:

I came here only to say that the new BMTH album is the one I like the most, probably due to it having more than 2 notes per song and electronic stuff. My friends hate it tho. What do you people think?

I hate everything else they have released (can't stand the shrieking), but I really like their new record. I like his more rough vocals (reminds me of Gallows) and musically it's a lot more interesting, too.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Eight Is Legend posted:

Still, I'd have guessed he would have a bit more integrity than that. Oh well.

Has anyone listened to PMtoday's "In Medias Res"? It might just be one of my favorite albums of 2010. http://www.myspace.com/pmtoday - RIYL: Circa Survive, The Receiving End of Sirens, Tides of Man, In:Aviate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OofZCahXvQ0

This is a hell of a late reply, but after listening through it a handful of times since it released, this album (PMtoday - In Medias Res) just hit me.

Like, really really hit me. This is so loving good. "I Am Wrong" is loving crushing in a completely different way than the term is usually used - but I think it's the right word. This loving album.

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005
This is pretty late, but I just got the new Senses Fail.

drat, it's awesome. They finally got it right, in my opinion.

BarryMantlesnorks
Nov 14, 2005

Leercore posted:

The general consensus among the majority of long-time Against Me! fans I know is that New Wave and White Crosses are bad albums.

I, however, think they both own. :colbert:

Oh come on. You can't argue that they're better than the Acoustic EP, Reinventing Axl Rose or As the Eternal Cowboy, can you?

lostatsea
Oct 23, 2005

Set Yourself On Fire

deadwing posted:

This is a hell of a late reply, but after listening through it a handful of times since it released, this album (PMtoday - In Medias Res) just hit me.

I couldn't agree more. I give a lot of credit to the producer, Kris Crummett http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kris_Crummett. He does such a good job with these types of bands and creates a nice "space" for the whole album. It actually feels real. It's like a complete 180 from the digital sound that Joey Sturgis gets.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

lostatsea posted:

I couldn't agree more. I give a lot of credit to the producer, Kris Crummett http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kris_Crummett. He does such a good job with these types of bands and creates a nice "space" for the whole album. It actually feels real. It's like a complete 180 from the digital sound that Joey Sturgis gets.

Reading that Crummett produced it was what made me give it some serious spin time, actually. His production work on Kaddisfly's Set Sail the Prairie is one of my absolute favourite CDs production wise (and favourite albums overall, really), and he's done a lot of other albums I really enjoy.

As an aside, Kaddisfly need to get the gently caress back together and finish Horses Galloping on Paper Boats or whatever the album was called. Water & Bodies just don't do it for me.

J2DK
Oct 6, 2004

Playtime has ended.
I like the new Senses Fail. It is very similar to the last album, but it almost seems incomplete without the token ballad.

lostatsea posted:

Garret, the rhythm guitarist, recorded for both rhythm and lead for the album, even though they recruited a new guitarist before the album was recorded.

J2DK fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 24, 2010

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Does anybody know the latest on Brand New? The only recent information I can seem to find is that they are done with Interscope, which was in April.

btw Glassjaw is touring

http://www.merchdirect.com/Glassjaw

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005

-Atom- posted:

Does anybody know the latest on Brand New? The only recent information I can seem to find is that they are done with Interscope, which was in April.

btw Glassjaw is touring

http://www.merchdirect.com/Glassjaw

Thursday is touring with Full Collapse in its entirety. I saw them tonight. It was amazing. Anyway, they were announcing the Glassjaw tour at the venue.

As far as Brand New is concerned, they said that they're not necessarily looking to re-sign to any labels at this point, or even release physical CDs anymore.

I read a quote from someone (not Jesse...the drummer maybe?) and he was like "At this point, we can do whatever we want...if we want to release one new song every week online, we could do that."

But apparently they are writing.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

OdorousTobacco posted:

As far as Brand New is concerned, they said that they're not necessarily looking to re-sign to any labels at this point, or even release physical CDs anymore.

I read a quote from someone (not Jesse...the drummer maybe?) and he was like "At this point, we can do whatever we want...if we want to release one new song every week online, we could do that."

But apparently they are writing.

Um what? I thought Brand New was done? :aaaaa: Holy gently caress my world is shattered

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Parachute Underwear posted:

Um what? I thought Brand New was done? :aaaaa: Holy gently caress my world is shattered

Done? Where did you hear that?

Oh, and in scene drama news, Austin Carlile is apparently back in Of Mice & Men.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Eight Is Legend posted:

Done? Where did you hear that?

Oh, and in scene drama news, Austin Carlile is apparently back in Of Mice & Men.

I think it was the tour right after Daisy came out where Jesse said they were pretty much done or not going to release any more music or something. It was a while ago and I guess I didn't hear about the other interviews after that or that they left their label.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

OdorousTobacco posted:

I think part of their identity crisis is the fact that in the nearly 4 years since the Black Parade, they've become irrelevant and a huge parody of the "scene" in general. poo poo changes quick nowadays.

I read in interviews that this album was gonna be "stripped down" and "grittier" and "just guitar, bass, drums, vocals" but it's not another 3 Cheers like I'd hope.

This album is MCR's Crash Love, or even This Addiction. That is to say, their attempts to "return to form" just bring them further away from what people liked about them to begin with.

Except that This Addiction is actually a solid album with a few missteps.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
If Brand New officially breaks up I would cry.

(and listen to Your Favorite Weapon to heal my wounds)

CHRISTS FOR SALE
Jan 14, 2005

"fuck you and die"
So how many underage girls have you guys had regrettable sexual encounters with? That's why people go to these shows, right?

That's why I went to them when I was younger...

Medical
Apr 16, 2010

by T. Fine
Oceana used to be one of those metalcore bands on Rise Records. Within this past year they've broken off their label and they have a completely new and promising sound. Think later As Cities Burn meets Mew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOGStwG1B8w

The Clean Head EP is only 4 songs, but it was one of my favorites last year.

Mazel Tov
Jul 27, 2004

*~Hebrew Honeyz~*
My band Open Fire has a CD coming out pretty soon. Here is a couple songs that will be on it

http://openfire.bandcamp.com/album/i-am-the-curse

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BSS1YUZN

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'

Mazel Tov posted:

My band Open Fire has a CD coming out pretty soon. Here is a couple songs that will be on it

http://openfire.bandcamp.com/album/i-am-the-curse

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BSS1YUZN

Pretty good!

You guys gonna be playing at Hell's Kitchen any time soon?

Mazel Tov
Jul 27, 2004

*~Hebrew Honeyz~*

TheJetCityFix posted:

Pretty good!

You guys gonna be playing at Hell's Kitchen any time soon?

We have a show on the 29th in Kirkland, but we usually play in Tacoma at the Red Room its on Tacoma ave

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'

Mazel Tov posted:

We have a show on the 29th in Kirkland, but we usually play in Tacoma at the Red Room its on Tacoma ave

Red Room, eh? I haven't heard of it before. Cool place to play?

Mazel Tov
Jul 27, 2004

*~Hebrew Honeyz~*

TheJetCityFix posted:

Red Room, eh? I haven't heard of it before. Cool place to play?

If you've heard of the Viaduct venue that was on south tacoma way it's the new version of that. It isn't that good sound wise or space wise, but my friends run it.

TheJetCityFix
Feb 3, 2004

Errday I'm Russellin'
Ahhh yes. We played the Viaduct once, the sound was complete rear end and there wasn't a monitor for vocalists, but the vibe in there was awesome. Nice little DIY type venue.

Mazel Tov
Jul 27, 2004

*~Hebrew Honeyz~*

TheJetCityFix posted:

Ahhh yes. We played the Viaduct once, the sound was complete rear end and there wasn't a monitor for vocalists, but the vibe in there was awesome. Nice little DIY type venue.

Yeah its all volunteer based and they're broke as gently caress. Pretty sure none of those monitors worked regardless, but that place was good for what it was.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Tides of Man has a video out for their song "Not My Love 2" - recommended if you like Circa Survive, Saosin, high-pitched/progressive stuff like that.

Actually, the singer in the video, who is no longer in the band, is rumored to be the new lead singer in Saosin after Cove left. I think he'd be a great fit, and from what I hear he's a lot better live than Cove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6rt0Wkj3z0

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Eight Is Legend posted:

Tides of Man has a video out for their song "Not My Love 2" - recommended if you like Circa Survive, Saosin, high-pitched/progressive stuff like that.

Actually, the singer in the video, who is no longer in the band, is rumored to be the new lead singer in Saosin after Cove left. I think he'd be a great fit, and from what I hear he's a lot better live than Cove.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6rt0Wkj3z0

I've been listening to Tides of Man for the last week nonstop.

They are so good and I'm super depressed that Tillin left the band.

Slotducks fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 14, 2011

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Some great recommendations in this thread. I've been on something of a new music spree and I'm having my friend bring his Dearhunter CD's and I would love some second opinions on where to start with those. Also I've been listening to a ton of Hot Water Music and Sparta recently and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for similar sounding music.

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005

rideANDxORdie posted:

Some great recommendations in this thread. I've been on something of a new music spree and I'm having my friend bring his Dearhunter CD's and I would love some second opinions on where to start with those. Also I've been listening to a ton of Hot Water Music and Sparta recently and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for similar sounding music.

DearHunter was one of the best live shows I've ever seen.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008

Slotducks posted:

I've been listening to Tides of Man for the last week nonstop.

They are so good and I'm super depressed that Tillin left the band.

Yeah, they're great. He has a very distinct vocal, so it'll be tough to replace him. Do you listen to PMtoday?

rideANDxORdie posted:

If you like The Dear Hunter, I presume you already know The Receiving End of Sirens?

As for Hot Water Music, try Make Do and Mend's "End Measured Mile" - been listening to that record a lot lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

welp
Nov 3, 2007

DEAR GOD
I love how easy it is to find this thread; just gotta look for the one with the lowest rating :shobon:.

In other news, Mark Hoppus' tweets and Blink's latest Kerrang interview are getting me super stoked for the new album. Apparently they were recording guitars last, and really want the album to be out before their tour in the summer. New blink and TBS albums in the same 6 months? My heart can't handle this.

• Locked thread