Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

djwetmouse posted:

two different men, the priest talk was just to set up his, rightful, antagonism with the Catholic church. As he said the man who raped him eventually went to prison, a Catholic priest would get off Scott free.

And to clarify a tad more: the talk does get confusing at the end especially since he's going 90 to nothing... but at the end when he's talking about the priests rape he's referencing his friends and other people who met him who were raped even though he basically "got away."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Just got done with Call Me Lucky, holy poo poo

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I had a thought after watching it: when Barry showed the authorities the things he'd been sent, how'd he avoid a similar situation to Pete Townsend?

Boko Haram
Dec 22, 2008

spankmeister posted:

I watched Idiocracy, a true story about Trump's America.

"Your kids are starving. Carl's Jr. believes no child should go hungry. You are an unfit mother. Your children will be placed in the custody of Carl's Jr."

Cyberpope v2
Oct 26, 2002

by Lowtax

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I had a thought after watching it: when Barry showed the authorities the things he'd been sent, how'd he avoid a similar situation to Pete Townsend?

Pete Townsend got arrested in the 2000s when it was a known issue. Barry was presenting a new unknown phenomenon in the early 90s.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Hey guys, I'm looking for recommendations on a decent documentary on the History of Flight. I'm after something that would be relatively recent, anything from the 2000's onward would be fine, that isn't boring. Any ideas?

I haven't really had much luck in any of my searches.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm still looking for any decent documentary having to do with post-classic Mayan civilization and the Spanish conquest of the Americas in the 16th century, any help would be appreciated! No ancient aliens stuff though, thanks.

I also just watched the Storyville/Frontline documentary "My Brother's Bomber", where a journalist goes to find the people responsible for the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 in 1988, also known as the Lockerbie bombing. The guy's brother was on the flight, so it had a slight feel of personal bias, understandably, but overall it was a really good watch. The guy ends up finding out all kinds of new information about it just by going around talking to people.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Not great but interesting on HULU, Skull World (2013) Follows two years in the life of Greg Sommer, aka Skull Man, as he builds the Canadian chapter of Box Wars, an international underground movement of cardboard-based combat.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

What's THE documentary about hunting ex-nazis? Anything from right after the war to decades later is fine (talking about the hunting, not the documentary).

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I just watched Call me Lucky. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRkYG_AeRfU

That's the trailer. Watch it, please. It's very, very, very good. This is an achievement for Bobcat.

I watched this yesterday and goddamn...great, great documentary but as others mentioned, there's some really gut-wrenching, heavy emotional stuff in it. I knew what to expect going in, but didn't expect the level of detail and imagery.

Going to watch Room 237 later and maybe peruse the thread more for other stuff, love me some documentaries and it's a nice way to kill time while I'm out of work on medical leave.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I went ahead and watched Edward R. Murrow's Harvest of Shame from 1960. I don't know where all the mainstream rhetoric about migrant workers lost its bite but here Murrow dares to not only call them slaves of a new era but also eviscerate the government for being idle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJTVF_dya7E

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Harvest of Shame is brilliant, and agitating for migrant workers died with Cesar Chavez.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

mod sassinator posted:

Yeah Louie Theroux did a good show on mountain people that live off the grid, and on the whole they were incredibly nice and welcoming people. Most of them did it because they didn't believe in the government, taxes, etc. but none were crazy rear end in a top hat Libertarians that you would expect. It was kind of heartwarming to see people that you expect to be nuts are actually just normal people that like living outside normal society.

This is from way back, but I feel the same - I give people like that benefit of the doubt, because I can definitely understand the desire to want to move somewhere remote and live off the land, just give the finger to modern civilization altogether. I think the majority of "isolationists" are like that, in that they just want some peace and quiet and a simpler life that doesn't involve a lot of bullshit. Maybe it's just because I grew up with older family members who all did some kind of hard labor (like farming) who, while they appreciated modern amenities, could go without them and not bat an eyelash.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
When will Louie's scientology documentary come out, anyway?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Electric Boogaloo - The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films - Official Trailer

https://vimeo.com/107973282

Man I want to see this so bad. I remember so many of those movies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It went up on Netflix a week or two ago...

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It went up on Netflix a week or two ago...

Shows how much I know! I just saw it on my Facebook feed.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah definitely check it out, it's one of my favorite docs of the year. Very entertaining and lots of great 70's/80's film info.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Back To 99 posted:

When will Louie's scientology documentary come out, anyway?

It played at the London Film Fest this year, and is intended for theatrical release rather than TV broadcast, so it might be a while yet :(

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Sound and Chaos: The Story of BC Studios, is on Hulu.
Really nice documentary of the Brooklyn music studio that produced a lot of early Hip-hop and No wave as well as Pop.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

BonoMan posted:

Watch all of Hartley's docs. Not Quite Hollywood was on Netflix for a while and may still be there, and is a really neat peek at the Australian genre scene. I don't know where you'd see Machete Maidens Unleashed (dealing with Filipino co-productions with the US and the abuse and legit horrible stuff happening on those sets) but it's his best IMO.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1623757/

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.
I'm 99% sure that Machete Maidens Unleashed was on Netflix a while back, at least in Canada! The cover looks really familiar. I never got around to watching it and I wish I had.

Bastard Man
Nov 15, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Just found a pretty awesome list of court case documentaries. A lot of which I've never heard of but sound super interesting

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls000091382/

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Cobain: Montage of Heck is exceptional. I would have gotten to it a lot quicker if I'd known it was done by the guy who did June 17, 1994. Dude is a maestro of assembling found footage into enrapturing drama. It is must-see for doc enthusiasts.

Kittens McMittens
Jan 1, 2012
This thread starts with mention of Adam Curtis, but I see no mention of Bitter Lake in the OP. This is his latest film!

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS1vlTGHhco

BBC iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02gyz6b/adam-curtis-bitter-lake

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
"Winter on Fire" is a brutal and unbelieveably good documentary about the Ukraine riots. I think it's a Netflix only thing but my god, beg, borrow or steal to see it.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

wikidd posted:

This thread starts with mention of Adam Curtis, but I see no mention of Bitter Lake in the OP. This is his latest film!

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS1vlTGHhco

BBC iPlayer: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p02gyz6b/adam-curtis-bitter-lake

Nice! Yeah I caught this earlier in the year and it's really good. Definitely worth watching before it gets pulled from Youtube.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

mod sassinator posted:

Nice! Yeah I caught this earlier in the year and it's really good. Definitely worth watching before it gets pulled from Youtube.

It's been up on Youtube all year, pretty much.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

"Making a Murderer" went up on Netflix and it's fantastic. Binged through 6 episodes yesterday.

Description from the New York Times:

quote:

In 2003, Steven Avery, a Wisconsin man who had served 18 years in prison for sexual assault, was exonerated through DNA evidence. The victim in the original crime apologized to Mr. Avery and a state bill devised to minimize such wrongful convictions took his name. The high-profile case became a calling card for the Wisconsin Innocence Project, a local version of the national nonprofit devoted to helping those wrongly accused.

Well worth watching. i think he's innocent!

SixPabst fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 22, 2015

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

mintskoal posted:

"Making a Murderer" went up on Netflix and it's fantastic. Binged through 6 episodes yesterday.
Making a Murderer is amazing, but you should edit your quote as it spoils the outcome of the trial for those not in the know.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I remember that story from RadioLab. Just a terrible series of events.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
That whole interview with the kid shows why you don't talk to the police ESPECIALLY if you're innocent.

My god the poor kid.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

BonoMan posted:

Finally watched this and man it was good but holy poo poo it does not. let. up. The whole thing plays like a fast paced trailer. Very exhausting (but worth it).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

BonoMan posted:

Finally watched this and man it was good but holy poo poo it does not. let. up. The whole thing plays like a fast paced trailer. Very exhausting (but worth it).

I also had this complaint when I initially watched it. It felt like it (somewhat) slowed down about 10-15 minutes in, which made it more bearable.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lurdiak posted:

I also had this complaint when I initially watched it. It felt like it (somewhat) slowed down about 10-15 minutes in, which made it more bearable.

Ha it maybe slows down every once in a while for a story change, but it always picks back up again.

Then again I'm fairly sure it's deliberately matching the pace of Cannon films themselves so it kind of makes sense.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
I swore it was recommended in this thread, and I was coming to thank whoever posted it, but now I don't see it.

Anyway, The Umbrella Man is a 6 minute Errol Morris documentary that is wonderfully interesting for its short run time

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Dec 26, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm rewatching the national film board of Canada's documentary about the 1970 October Crisis. While it's pretty lifelessly narrated and doesn't really do anything to jazz up or add drama to the dry facts of the events, it's still chock full of information and revealing statements by the major players of the time. It's pretty good if you have any interest at all in the subject matter.

Also, this bit never fails to make me laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXRE_7HzLEQ&t=100s

eminkey2003
Oct 11, 2009
Are there any cool documentaries about boy bands or pop stars from the 90s? Late 90s pop music was so big and dramatic (dare I say...larger than life), I feel like its rise and fall would make a great story.

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
I stumbled upon this short documentary on Hanley bus station, which I found fascinating. If nothing else it's worth watching for the lady at 4:55 - genius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

mintskoal posted:

Description from the New York Times:

Well worth watching. i think he's innocent!

You know they found him guilty of murdering a reporter in 2005 right? Pretty sure he was a super psychopath.