Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

I actually disliked it on the whole as someone who does enjoy his stuff, and it really hits the limitations of Andrew's talents. The thing about the QAnon family in the film is that for as hosed up as they are, they are just people going about their lives. So, you get these sincere and real words from them. Alex Jones and Tarrio are sleaze bags who are never going to give you anything genuine unless you pull a Borat and actively trick them.

I think placing these two factions of the right wing - the influencers and the influenced - in contrast to one another is really effective. You have Jones and Tarrio as smug as ever, simply moving onto the next grift or in Tarrio's case, actively cooperating with the feds to indict the Jan 6 rioters, and the Q family that's just "how could none of this be true?" I don't think it's about getting sincerity or honesty from the influencers, because by and large they're not capable of it.

Now, revealing the guilty plea for sodomizing an 8 year old to the conspiracy theory guy, now that was a Borat move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

KoRMaK posted:

i went to one of the channel 5 live shows and one of the motivators that Andrew says drives him is to look at these opposite ends as people rather than villains or caricatures. hes interested in how people get there

he's still a young guy but i wanted to tell him that no amount of humanizing these people is going to help you understand what makes an rear end in a top hat. they are assholes, and one day it just flips on. doesn't matter what its triggered by. I've suffered assholes and trying to understand them in the hopes of bringing them back from the rear end in a top hat edge and really all i did was waste my own time on a very boring story and situation. and it's the same story over and over. they loose their empathy and are assholes because of it.

Not sure I agree with all this, at least in the sense of discovering what made someone become the rear end in a top hat that they turned into. It doesn't excuse any of it nor draw you any closer to being able to change them, but I've known a few people throughout my life where gaining an understanding of their upbringing was kind of an "actually, that explains a lot" type of situation. Like learning that a lot of the bullies in my adolescence where beaten a lot by their parents or that other kids I knew that seemed a little twisted or neurotic were being sexually abused.

But I'm kind of empathetic by default and am almost as fascinated by people who aren't as I am loathful of them.

It's a bit like saying that serial killers are just born that way and that some people are just evil - and maybe they are - but...I dunno...to use a different measuring stick: what makes some people devoutly religious and others hardocre atheists? I don't think we're just born or genetically predisposed into believing in supply side economics or being racist.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

if you're like 40 years old and you're an rear end in a top hat the time where you could blame it on anyone but yourself ended a decade and some change ago. you're reply stripped this context so i think its important to reiterate it.

They refuse to develop empathy, and for that they are by definition assholes.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

I'm 36 and Andrew is one of the GenZ content creators Ive come across that i enjoy and was really looking forward to this doc. I think Andrew has that perfect mix of personality traits to disarm just about anyone.

This documentary isn't something I'd recommend. Maybe it's because I poison my brain being a silent political junkie but it needed to come out 6 months ago, have a better structure than his normal YouTube and it just fell short.

Absolutely a watch if you like Andrew because you know exactly what you're going to get. With experience and a few years of maturity and he could be an iconic gonzo.

My algorithm served me his first interview with Hasan where he very candidly expands on certain parts of the film throughout the interview. I believe it's called Fear&, would recommend even if you hate Hasan. It's his non-political podcast but this ep is an exception and he has a friend to wrangle him in

My question: what's the best documentary about the gamestop thing?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I feel like Andrew is gonna get a Pulitzer sooner or later. He's at the forefront of a new sort of journalism. Or at least is gaining more notice than most.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Watched This Place Rules and yeah I agree with most folks in this thread: you'll like it if you like Andrew's stuff (and I do!)

96 spacejam posted:

My algorithm served me his first interview with Hasan where he very candidly expands on certain parts of the film throughout the interview. I believe it's called Fear&, would recommend even if you hate Hasan. It's his non-political podcast but this ep is an exception and he has a friend to wrangle him in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLRXjJ1MqS8
Here's the video of that interview.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Netflix has a Three Mile Island thing. So far, it has big 90s basic cable reenactments and Michio Kaku lol

It's great but still, lol

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

precision posted:

Netflix has a Three Mile Island thing. So far, it has big 90s basic cable reenactments and Michio Kaku lol

It's great but still, lol

How many episodes is it, and how many should it be?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Someone in another thread mentioned that there's a documentary series on Disney plus, about Industrial Light & Magic. Well there sure is, and it's loving awesome, and you should watch it.

LittleFuryThings
Jan 11, 2012
Not sure if there's a thread elsewhere discussing this but people are talking about This Place Rules here and their interest in watching it.

https://twitter.com/babytriggy/status/1611148034808627201

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7185748872717716778

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
Well gently caress that is bleak

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

drat it that loving sucks.

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014
The Man Who Wanted to See It All https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5451230

glad i saw it, not sure if it half baked or actually quite good. rather melancholic and as one review in imdb said, "many questions to ponder in silence"

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The Pez Outlaw on Netflix. Entertaining story of a very strange dude who sold pez dispensers.

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Waltzing Along posted:

The Pez Outlaw on Netflix. Entertaining story of a very strange dude who sold pez dispensers.

wait, Pez Outlaw actually got made? I remember that getting mentioned in a Seanbaby article on Cracked like, 10+ years ago, because the movie rights were being sold on Amazon the way someone would sell a used DVD or a lot of normal pez dispensers

I think it was something like "10 obscenely overpriced items on Amazon" and it was alongside poo poo like "$1,000 for a VHS copy of an educational video about autopsies" and "$15k for a flatscreen TV wall mount" and then somewhere in there was "(several figures) for the book & movie rights to the "Pez Outlaw" story"

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Thankfully they didn't turn it into a ten episode affair

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

magiccarpet posted:

Thankfully they didn't turn it into a ten episode affair

Definitely.

The story was fine but the documentary would’ve been a bit more fun if it spent more time on the kinda insane world of Pez collecting and the fairly bizarre characters within it, rather than just the singular story of the one dude that, beyond a few aspects, wasn’t super interesting. There’s no ‘holy poo poo’ moments in it, but they kinda act like there are.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The uber collector guy was the best character by far. I'm pretty sure his comment at the end meant he felt they should have spent more time on him but that may have been my bias from laughing at pretty much everything he said.

The main dude was insane. The sort of harmless insane that you hope never escalates into violence. Cuz he is legit crazy. It was barely touched on but I think he did a bit too many psychedelics back in the day.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Watched Wild, Wild Country and it was fascinating to see some of the people still stanning Rajneesh even though he by all accounts was a terrible person. It's also filled with the worst person you know making valid points. The residents in Oregon correctly assumes that the cult is dangerous, but it's mostly because the cult members have lots of sex and is lead by a foreigner. This become explicitly clear when it's revealed at the end when it's revealed that a christian organisation bought the cult's property and one of the participants in the doc admits that it's basically a cult as well but since it's christian and teaches abstinence he doesn't have a problem with it.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Also seeing Osho quotes on Facebook etc now with people commenting 🙏 and the like is pretty weird. I think it’s a case of “no such thing as bad publicity” but still strange

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I just finished Ken Burns' The US and the Holocaust. It's got all the usual Burns polish, with its methodical exposition of the historical evidence with personal accounts interwoven, and I was thoroughly impressed with its even-handed evaluation of the US side of the picture. The treatment of a few key elements in particular, such as the possibility of the Allies bombing the German rail system and death camps in 1944, was really good, and the direct connection Burns makes between the rise of fascism, the treatment of immigrants, and the development of contemporary far right US politics in the end is refreshing, if brief.

A gruelling watch, but it feels increasingly important now that the final eyewitnesses on both sides of the Atlantic are almost entirely gone.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MeinPanzer posted:

I just finished Ken Burns' The US and the Holocaust. It's got all the usual Burns polish, with its methodical exposition of the historical evidence with personal accounts interwoven, and I was thoroughly impressed with its even-handed evaluation of the US side of the picture. The treatment of a few key elements in particular, such as the possibility of the Allies bombing the German rail system and death camps in 1944, was really good, and the direct connection Burns makes between the rise of fascism, the treatment of immigrants, and the development of contemporary far right US politics in the end is refreshing, if brief.

A gruelling watch, but it feels increasingly important now that the final eyewitnesses on both sides of the Atlantic are almost entirely gone.

Hate to post my own tweets but I clipped two parts that really struck me when I watched it:

https://twitter.com/DomaiForeman/status/1574096623185326080?s=20

Man I'm tearing up at work rewatching the guy tell his story about seeing the Statue of Liberty.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 3, 2023

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Groovelord Neato posted:

Hate to post my own tweets but I clipped two parts that really struck me when I watched it:

Man I'm tearing up at work rewatching the guy tell his story about seeing the Statue of Liberty.

That first clip is particularly interesting in the context of this documentary because it's exactly the kind of thing that would get presented in your standard American documentary about the Holocaust, probably coming after some stock footage of Hitler giving a speech and before stock footage of concentration camp victims. Only in this 6-hour documentary it's a singular 10-minute sequence that occurs between, among many others, lengthy sequences devoted to the people aboard the St Louis being refused refuge by US authorities, the State Department deliberately sabotaging efforts to bring more Jewish refugees into the country, and Anne Frank's family waiting in line to immigrate to the US until her death because of the quota system. It made it feel much more genuinely moving.

I especially appreciated Burns' decision to use the Franks' story not for the usual trite exposition of innocence destroyed by fascism, but rather as an overarching narrative that highlighted how impossible it was for most Jews to navigate the American immigration system.

The biggest takeaway for me though was a new appreciation for how unfathomable the Holocaust was to people at the time, even when they were literally coming upon concentration camps in 1945. That is something that we today can't really appreciate, having had the historical narrative driven into our brains our entires lives: the existence of an industrial death machine that was capable of killing tens of thousands of people a day for years must have seemed like something from an H.G. Wells novel.

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 3, 2023

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LittleFuryThings posted:

Not sure if there's a thread elsewhere discussing this but people are talking about This Place Rules here and their interest in watching it.

https://twitter.com/babytriggy/status/1611148034808627201

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7185748872717716778

Both the Tweet and TikTok videos are private but I'm a bit confused because it looks like that title belongs to a documentary about the January 6th riot but the comments on the Tweet seem to be speaking of a sexual assault?

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

Both the Tweet and TikTok videos are private but I'm a bit confused because it looks like that title belongs to a documentary about the January 6th riot but the comments on the Tweet seem to be speaking of a sexual assault?

Andrew Callaghan of the youtube channel Channel 5, formerly of All Gas No Brakes, made a documentary about the political situation in the US leading up to and including Jan 6th. It finally came out a couple months ago to much acclaim... and then about a week later the dam broke and multiple accusations of sexual assault came out against him. As you can see, that conversation kind of eclipsed the actual documentary.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

El Jeffe posted:

Andrew Callaghan of the youtube channel Channel 5, formerly of All Gas No Brakes, made a documentary about the political situation in the US leading up to and including Jan 6th. It finally came out a couple months ago to much acclaim... and then about a week later the dam broke and multiple accusations of sexual assault came out against him. As you can see, that conversation kind of eclipsed the actual documentary.

Jesus... I wonder what the tweet says..

Thanks for clearing it up

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRlI72bsNRc

Youtube description posted:

2 Player Productions and Double Fine Productions present Double Fine PsychOdyssey, an unprecedented documentary experience seven years in the making.

Ten years after the release of their flagship video game Psychonauts, Double Fine Productions returns to its most celebrated franchise with Psychonauts 2. Now facing the pressure to produce a worthy sequel, the studio must confront overly ambitious designs, poor morale, technical challenges and financial woes, all during a turbulent span of time for the world.

Double Fine PsychOdyssey is the direct continuation of the acclaimed series Double Fine Adventure, and offers even deeper insight into the passion, humor, and heartbreak of video game development.
Link to the full playlist.

This came out a few weeks ago and I loved it and binged it in a few days and haven't been able to stop thinking about it. (Look up Noclip or Minnmax on YT if you want to hear other people gushing about it or see interviews with 2 Player Productions)
21 hours over 32 episodes.

Anybody that has worked in a creative + collaborative field can probably recognize stuff that goes on in this doc, doesn't necessarily have to be in video games. Ultimately it's about a bunch of people coming together to make something great and how difficult the process can be, due to, you know, humans being humans (and tech being tech)

FWIW I haven't played the game and only played a tiny bit of the first one back in the day, so familiarity with the game itself is not necessary.

Haven't seen any real discussion on it in the games subforum, but I think it merits sharing here.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

I watched this documentary in college and still think about it regularly. It's called Silverlake Life: The View From Here and it documents a gay couple with AIDS in 1993. It's deeply sad, but full of love. It's also available to watch on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjGVT4BUG-w

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
This seems like the place to ask: My wife is looking for a documentary from 96-97 called "The Ad and the Ego". It's directed by a guy called Harold Boihem, it's about the advertising industry.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Angryhead posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRlI72bsNRc

Link to the full playlist.

This came out a few weeks ago and I loved it and binged it in a few days and haven't been able to stop thinking about it. (Look up Noclip or Minnmax on YT if you want to hear other people gushing about it or see interviews with 2 Player Productions)
21 hours over 32 episodes.

Anybody that has worked in a creative + collaborative field can probably recognize stuff that goes on in this doc, doesn't necessarily have to be in video games. Ultimately it's about a bunch of people coming together to make something great and how difficult the process can be, due to, you know, humans being humans (and tech being tech)

FWIW I haven't played the game and only played a tiny bit of the first one back in the day, so familiarity with the game itself is not necessary.

Haven't seen any real discussion on it in the games subforum, but I think it merits sharing here.

Thank you for posting this. I really liked Psychonauts and saw a little 30min episode about the making of it years ago on some now defunct comcast videogame channel and then never really heard from DoubleFine since so itll be cool to see what going on in this.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

yaffle posted:

This seems like the place to ask: My wife is looking for a documentary from 96-97 called "The Ad and the Ego". It's directed by a guy called Harold Boihem, it's about the advertising industry.

https://archive.org/details/adego

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

Amazing, thanks a lot.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just watched "Jurassic Punk" which is a documentary about Steve "Spaz" Williams, the guy at Industrial Light & Magic who was pretty much responsible for the CGI dinosaurs in Jurassic Park looking as good as they did and I dug it a lot. It's actually a good counterpoint to "Light & Magic," the six-part docuseries that came out last year which, while really interesting, I felt was a bit too aggrandizing about ILM overall. "Jurassic Punk" illuminates the politics of ILM a bit more and paints Williams as more of a sympathetic character without excusing his flaws. It's definitely worth a watch if you're interested in late 80's/early 90's rise of CGI effects and the people behind all of it just like "Light & Magic" is.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Stare-Out posted:

Just watched "Jurassic Punk" which is a documentary about Steve "Spaz" Williams, the guy at Industrial Light & Magic who was pretty much responsible for the CGI dinosaurs in Jurassic Park looking as good as they did and I dug it a lot. It's actually a good counterpoint to "Light & Magic," the six-part docuseries that came out last year which, while really interesting, I felt was a bit too aggrandizing about ILM overall. "Jurassic Punk" illuminates the politics of ILM a bit more and paints Williams as more of a sympathetic character without excusing his flaws. It's definitely worth a watch if you're interested in late 80's/early 90's rise of CGI effects and the people behind all of it just like "Light & Magic" is.

I've always loved their story. Very guerilla. Been waiting for this for a bit! Can't wait to see it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Where'd you see this?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Amazon, I think a bunch of streaming services have it.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Does anyone have any recommendations for docs on the colonisation of South America? Interested to learn what went down with that

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Not sure who here has seen Dog Day Afternoon but it's really great and everyone should check it out.

It's based on a true story about a gay man who attempted a bank robbery in 1972 to pay for his lover's sex change operation and stars Al Pacino and John Cazale from the Godfather films.

I happened upon this youtube documentary that's low quality but really compelling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgj55GgVAmU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

True Crime Story: Look Into My Eyes

Yet another multipart true crime documentary that’s not really worth your time.

Could’ve been a good 1 hour curiosity, but you don’t really know much more at the end of the 4th episode than you do at the end of the 1st. No real path of intrigue, things you didn’t see coming, or deep exploration.

High school principal who is practicing hypnosis on high school kids, 1 dies in a car crash then 2 suicides shortly after and he gets the blame by friends/family. You have a whole bunch of dummies talking to camera and nobody really critiquing them. None of the families seem to have been present for these kids, but just wanted someone to blame. The principal himself partakes in the show which is something, but the whole production wants to give equal say to all sides rather than critique the whole mess. Dude was doing bachelor party level poo poo and people treated it like he’s a loving wizard or something, to no pushback. Lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Taken by surprise in Ric Burns' New York: A Documentary when the new interview subject turns out to be 90s Trump.