Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Neigh

I just watched Fed Up at a local theatre. It's a documentary about the rise of obesity rates and what went wrong over the past 30 years and why it's anticipated 1/3rd of adults will have diabetes at the current rate.

It's surprisingly pretty well put together with nice production values and it really tries to hammer home that what's going on with the sugar/food industry is nearly identical the same kind of scheming lobbyism that went on over cigarettes 40 years ago.

I never gave it any thought before, but they pointed out that on Nutrition Facts, sugar does not have a % of dietary intake there which is the only one that doesn't. The WHO tried to put out a recommended daily limit for TRS 916 but America threatened to withold like $500 million in funding if they did that so removed that line from the report. If food actually put the % on the facts, it would become really obvious how much American's are overeating it by.

They pointed out that even though gym memberships and people exercising is higher than ever before and more "low fat [double the sugar]" food "options" than ever before, obesity rates keep going up and the media narrative is simply "calories in = calories out, exercise and you'll lose weight!" when it's a bit more insidious than that.

Was a bit interesting that it pointed out what the food industry did was sort of "joined" Michelle Obama's Lets Move campaign but with the intent of deflecting blame and they spent a lot of time showing the failing of school cafeterias starting with the Reagan cuts that caused most of the schools to get rid of a lot of cooking equipment and become forced to partner with the food industries to supply garbage food. And I'll never get enough of the "Pizza is a vegetable!" bullshit.

It's rather depressing to realize that much of congress and politcians knew how bad things were getting and would get back in the 70s and they tried setting sugar recommendations and FTC limits on advertising of bad food to kids but were all gutted by lobbyists.

They intersected a lot of the movie with shots from some annoying fat kids and their family which I get what they're trying to do, but it just annoyed the poo poo out of me and I would take off a few points for that.

Anyways, it's not really anything new and the whole sugar is literally addictive poison narrative is pretty obvious (to most of us) but overall it was fairly entertaining and there were some interesting details here and there that I didn't know. Would recommend it when it comes to Netflix if food industry documentaries are interesting to anyone.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Neigh

That drat Satyr posted:

Netflix has added a lot of really good stuff in the past week.

The Institute - About an ARG that took place in mid-California, and the people involved.

Thanks, that was actually pretty interesting. I was unfortunately out of the Bay Area during that time so I completely missed it but seems like it would have been a lot of fun.

Though there were things movie didn't quite explain things well. I guess Eva was loosely based on a real person, but then there was that gay guy whose boyfriend was a cop and pulled a recording of the actual disapearance? Was that actually real and then they found the Berkeley house with the tunnel that he broke into, was that all planned?

Xaris fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 7, 2014