Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skinny Bins
Jul 30, 2006

Eat lead, Olympic targets!
Connections

An alternative view of change by James Burke.

An excellent BBC series from 1978 which basically travels through the history of human invention.

From Wikipedia:

quote:

"Connections explores an "Alternative View of Change" (the subtitle of the series) that rejects the conventional linear and teleological view of historical progress. Burke contends that one cannot consider the development of any particular piece of the modern world in isolation. Rather, the entire gestalt of the modern world is the result of a web of interconnected events, each one consisting of a person or group acting for reasons of their own (e.g., profit, curiosity, religious) motivations with no concept of the final, modern result of what either their or their contemporaries' actions finally led to. The interplay of the results of these isolated events is what drives history and innovation, and is also the main focus of the series and its sequels."

I recommend this series for anyone who enjoys historical science. James Burke is an excellent presenter and explains things in a very clear and fun way. Add to that the excellent production quality (given that its 1978) and you have one of my favorite TV series of all time.

The first episode kind of sets up the whole series, so make sure that you watch at least until the second episode before you decide that it's the best thing ever.

Episode 1: Part 1 of 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcSxL8GUn-g

There were two sequel series done in 1994 and 1997
Connections 2: Episode 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhqspinggw8

The sequels aren't quite as good as the original (mostly because they're shorter and shot on video) but James Burke is back working his presentation magic.

Edit: Sp.

Skinny Bins fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 22, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinny Bins
Jul 30, 2006

Eat lead, Olympic targets!

Herbicidal Maniac posted:

I'll definitely have a lot to watch in the coming weeks, this is awesome.

A good documentary if you want to look at how animals are treated in society, but want to leave out the crazy PETA poo poo, look at the documentary Earthlings. It's very powerful and doesn't sugar coat anything. Be careful though, We saw this with an entire class, and there wasn't a person who wasn't crying. You might even become a vegitarian for a while, I did.

possibly :nms: if you have a heart.
http://www.earthlings.com/

I finally got around to watching this.

gently caress.

There are plenty of reasons this documentary fails on an objective and authoritative level (as it has already been said) but even if some of this stuff is isolated, that fact that it is even happening should be enough to make your stomach turn.

needless to say I'm second guessing my decisions to have pork dumplings for lunch.