Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

If any of you guys have HBO, a new documentary called Gideon's Army premiered the other day. I just watched it last night and it's absolutely fantastic. The film follows the stories of three public defenders and actually, the synopsis tells it better than I can.

http://gideonsarmythefilm.com/

quote:

GIDEON’S ARMY follows the personal stories of Travis Williams, Brandy Alexander and June Hardwick, three young public defenders who are part of a small group of idealistic lawyers in the Deep South challenging the assumptions that drive a criminal justice system strained to the breaking point. Backed by mentor Jonathan “Rap” Rapping, a charismatic leader who heads the Southern Public Defender Training Center (now known as Gideon’s Promise) they struggle against long hours, low pay and staggering caseloads so common that even the most committed often give up in their first year. Nearly 50 years since the landmark Supreme Court ruling Gideon vs. Wainwright that established the right to counsel, can these courageous lawyers revolutionize the way America thinks about indigent defense and make “justice for all” a reality?

It's amazing how the justice system in America gives everyone the right to council in practice, but in reality the system is so understaffed with underpaid lawyers working an insane number of cases for people who really need and deserve better that the system has become nearly ineffective.

Great film. The last case at the end had me pretty nervous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Cocoa Ninja posted:

Has anyone else been watching the news today about Robert Durst? If you don't want to spoil yourself don't check it.

All I'll say is that if you haven't caught up for the season finale of HBOs true crime series The Jinx by tonight...oh man I'm excited.

This is one of those things that you cannot sit down and think you'll only watch one episode. Fantastic.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Cocoa Ninja posted:

What do you think of the intro? Part of me loves it and is stoked for some cold cases when the gun goes off and the singer yells, and my friend thinks it's too much like True Detective.

Although it sets up some amazing moments from cold open to intro, like the finale:Son of a BITCH! *dum dum dum dum*

I actually haven't watched True Detective but I think the entire series of The Jinx is incredibly well done and is far above the quality of most docs I've seen. The intro is great!

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

GreyPowerVan posted:

Anyone seen decent documentaries lately that would be of interest to people in social services? Alive Inside was good, as was Living on One Dollar in a different way.

Not sure if this is of any interest, but Gideon's Army is about public defenders in the south. It's infuriating but excellent.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

If you enjoyed the doc I highly recommend reading the book by Lawrence Wright. It goes in to much, much more detail about just how hosed Scientology is. The film was fantastic too.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Viginti posted:

Eh, I was pretty disappointed with Going Clear. It was a bit of a mess structurally, a blatantly biased attack piece and overall a bit puerile. I'm not, nor have I ever considered, being a xenutoligist but I do find the hatred towards them to be problematic, every single accusation made in this film could and should also be made about Catholicism, Christianity, Islam, any of the 'accepted' religions really. I was hoping that Gibney would get beyond the shocking tabloid stories and shiny celebrity cameos to look more at the psychology under-riding these cults and religions, to use scientology as a single example of a larger phenomena but it never really tried to do that, or to tread new ground in general. Given all the hype I had hoped that they would take a less simplistic view than the usual 'This poo poo's weird!' but alas, that's what you get from Four-films-a-year Gibney.

On the other hand, the music was cool. Just enough of The Master in there, very alien and upsetting. Might try to find an OST.

Again, I'll just suggest reading the book. The documentary really focused on the horror stories and other events that make for good TV. The book covers the history of Scientology and how it evolved from LRH's pulp fiction to a religion based on some of his sci-fi novels.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Raxivace posted:

We talked about it a few months ago here. It might be the single scariest film I've ever seen, to be honest.

Agreed. The most :wtc: thing was how completely inept the Kenyan police were. Fantastic doc though.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

"Making a Murderer" went up on Netflix and it's fantastic. Binged through 6 episodes yesterday.

Description from the New York Times:

quote:

In 2003, Steven Avery, a Wisconsin man who had served 18 years in prison for sexual assault, was exonerated through DNA evidence. The victim in the original crime apologized to Mr. Avery and a state bill devised to minimize such wrongful convictions took his name. The high-profile case became a calling card for the Wisconsin Innocence Project, a local version of the national nonprofit devoted to helping those wrongly accused.

Well worth watching. i think he's innocent!

SixPabst fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 22, 2015

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Tenzarin posted:

You know they found him guilty of murdering a reporter in 2005 right? Pretty sure he was a super psychopath.

Maybe watch the documentary because then you'd know that my take is even though he was found guilty there's a lot of stuff that leaves me with some reasonable doubt about his actual involvement in the Hallbach murder.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

I watched The Dawn Wall on Netflix last night and it was excellent. Highly, highly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

I watched that flat earther doc. "Let's do an experiment to prove the earth is flat. Hmm, this experiment proves it is a globe. Better try something else. Hmm...this one also proves the earth is a globe. I think the problem is we aren't doing the right experiments."

That last scene was the best part of the movie and I’m still not sure the guys doing the experiment “got” it.