Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

In addition to the ones already mentioned I like the UFO hunters and pro-wrestling episodes. But the survivalist one is probably my favourite. The scene where they are drawing all the earthquakes, tornadoes, etc across the map of America is just amazing. Of course the area where their survivalist compound is ends up being the only place in America that doesn't get destroyed.

But basically just watch all of them, Theroux is always great. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Louis_Theroux_Documentaries Most of them are on youtube or dailymotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Imapanda posted:

I just finished Brian Cox's Wonders of the Universe and am feeling this big urge to watch anything else related to the knowledge of the cosmos.

I've already seen Cosmos, and Brian Cox's segments of it. Could any of you recommend some other similar documentaries? I heard there's a Stephen Hawking one? Are there any others? I just don't want to look through 50+ pages of the thread, and I don't want to be reminded of all the :smith:-talk regarding Dear Zachary again.

I'm assuming that if you have seen Wonders of the Universe you have also seen Wonders of the Solar System, the Brian Cox series that came before it. But if you haven't, you should since it is exactly the same sort of thing as Wonders of the Universe.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Wizard of Wang posted:

Dioes anyone have any suggestions about medeival documentaries concerning warfare or even day to day life? I have seen the Terry Jones series qnd loved it. I just really want to find more about medeivia war and lifestyle preferably that I can watch on netflix.

I enjoyed this one, Filthy Cities: Medieval London. It's about how filthy medieval London was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZgHXAek0No
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZgHXAek0No

The series also has episodes about industrial New York and revolutionary Paris.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Zsa Zsa Gabor posted:

(although I don't entirely understand the connection they make between WikiLeaks and the Arab Spring revolts, which the narrator mentions briefly in a matter of fact tone).

Probably referring to all the state department stuff criticising various Arab dictators in the Manning leak, which I'm sure made interesting reading in the Arab world and may have helped convince many people to rebel.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Well bullfighting, rodeos and hunting with hounds are still things that happen in the modern west.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

This kind of identity politics dick-waving is exactly what scares most people away from activism in the first place. :thumbsup:

I don't see what's wrong with this post, and I'm a meat eater who uses apple products. If someone simply says boycotting things and going vegan are good things to do that isn't an attack on people who don't do those things.

SeanBeansShako posted:

That bit was incredible. Why did I not remember that bit?

That argument was actually pretty common during the gay marriage debate in parliament- there were several tories who brought up similar scenarios, spinster sisters who live together getting married etc. Even though I'm pretty certain incest laws already apply to same sex relationships.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

Speaking for myself, it was really this post that I was reacting too:

Its us! WE ARE THE PROBLEM.

It's true though, we are.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Sex Box could not possibly be a real show.

Channel 4 just have a thing where they want to be both edgy and educational, (since they are meant to be less mainstream than BBC1 and ITV and they also have a public service broadcasting remit) and will occasionally do a big attention grabbing event evening along those lines.

Sometimes this works (that live autopsy with the crazy German hat wearing Doctor was genuinely fascinating) and sometimes you get Sex Box or that show from a couple years back where people took ecstasy live on tv.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

ineptmule posted:

Don't dog breeds get selected and conditioned for certain behavioural characteristics as well as physical ones? If so it shouldn't it be possible for such traits to be passed on in other animals?

Yes, same with all domesticated animals, but I'd imagine a more intelligent social animal like a killer whale has much more complex behaviour than a dog.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

revdrkevind posted:

The problem is it's all interpretation. Someone can always come along and say there are hidden biological factors unaccounted for, like epigenetics. Then a philosopher will make an argument about free will, and some statistics or heaven forbid quantum mechanics to back it up. Not accusing anyone but in general, if someone doesn't see the problems with a statement like the above, you should really check out more of the statistics-themed docus available from the collector sites in the OP. I'd also toss in a book recommend, Leonard Mlodinow's Drunkard's Walk. Not really a docu but here's the man speaking, if you want that in video form:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAt27VwavJ8

Mlodinow's Drunkard's Walk (or equivalent stat training) should be required reading before children can become legal adults.

Is there a good, scathing documentary on the research industry in that vein? Something specifically about how there's such a massive system where people are required to generate novel research regardless of whether or not they actually have anything to say. Not that I'm wholly cynical about research, but I can't think of any major projects outside of pure science journals.

I don't know if this is exactly what you are looking for, but All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace spent a fair amount of time talking about scientists in the 70s researching the 'balance of nature' which they had managed to convince themselves was a thing that existed despite there being no evidence for it and a lot against it. They talked specifically about an isolated island (I think) where they studied the wolf and deer populations and rather than them reaching some natural balance as the scientists assumed, they fluctuated wildly.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

LanceKing2200 posted:

Are there any good documentaries about the actual artistic work involved in CG effects? Anything from CG effects in big action movies to things like Toy Story or Frozen. I'm in a long standing disagreement with a friend who considers hand drawn animation to somehow be "superior" to CG effects on a technical level because CG animation is "easier".

Well taking a photograph is 'easier' than painting a picture, so ask him if he considers the work of Thomas Kinkade to be superior to that of every photographer who ever picked up a camera.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Draxamus posted:

Could not get into Story of Film. The narrator has the most annoying voice of any narrator I've ever heard (narrator is also the creator of this documentary EGOTIST). Also not sure why he has to bash American film to celebrate the film of other countries. And I can't say I like the random shots of people and streets that serve as that background for his monologues. Just filler between relevant clips.

For a better film, watch A Personal Journey with Martin Scorsese Through American Movies, which I believe was mentioned earlier in this thread.

When does he bash American film? He spends a lot of time praising various American films and film makers.

And Mark Cousins has the most soothing voice imaginable, I can't imagine anyone finding it irritating.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Drum posted:

Are there any documentaries on the way we treat dogs and cats in the US? I've already got Shelter Dogs, Dealing Dogs, One Nation Under Dog (Those 3 are HBO documentaries, and are very good.) and Dark Water Rising, which is about the Katrina rescue efforts.

Louis Theroux did one about dogs in LA, but it isn't on (UK) Netflix yet. Should be easy to find on Youtube and other popular video websites though. It's called Louis Theroux's LA Stories: City of Dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Why isn't this about Christianity or Islam? Because it is about Scientology. Criticise the film for what it is, not what it isn't.

And I thought I was pretty well informed about Scientology, but there's a lot in that documentary that still shocked me, like the physical abuse from the space Pope himself and the saga of Tom Cruise's girlfriend.