Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ravenkult posted:

Can I get a recommendation for documentaries about the ''wild west'' or pioneers or western movies?

Never seen one nor am I aware of one, but I think a New Zealand flick called This Way of Life might be your cup of tea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Doppelganger posted:

Just finished Dear Zachary...

That horrible, horrible bitch. :smith:

The real villain is the judge.

Blame Canada

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TheBuilder posted:

This probably needs its own thread, but it appears to be a breakthrough in the West Memphis 3 case, and our local news is reporting that 2 will be released tomorrow:

http://www.whnt.com/news/wreg-west-memphis-3-freed,0,5792538.story

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2011/aug/18/judge-sets-unexpected-hearing-jonesboro-west-memph/

Wow they're still in prison? Maybe my memory is failing me but I thought it was pretty clear that one of the step-dads was the most likely culprit.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

theHUNGERian posted:

Thanks for recommending this. While the documentary is pretty slow, the story is pretty amazing. It inspired me to buy "The Long Way" by Bernard Moisettier, I'm reading it now.

While the main story was fascinating, I have to say that the French story was the real one that I would've wanted to see filmed. It was the ultimate plot twist.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Battered Bastards of Baseball, which just came out on Netflix last week, is pretty much a clinic in how to make a great documentary. Great interviews and a perfectly arced (edited) story. It had me in its hand from about minute 5 until the last of the end credits. Quality- and story-wise, it is on par with the great sports docs When We Were Kings and Hoop Dreams, albeit without the importance or the dramatic heft of those two films. What it lacks there, it makes up for in vibrancy. You feel like you're a part of this movie, part of something new and awesome. Just a great way to spend 90 minutes. Heads up: the reviews and trailers tend to spoil a few minor surprises.

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ManOfTheYear posted:

What are the besst documentaries on youtube? I'm trying to find decent nature documentaries but jesus all this national geographic or history channel stuff is just retarded bullshit.

The Staircase, which is sort of like a documentary miniseries about a single case, is on Youtube. Really excellent, but not widely seen. 8.3 on imdb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Volkerball posted:

Guy asks for nature documentaries, and you all point him to crime dramas. The Art of Flight is a cool one if you just want to see some crazy scenery. They go down to Patagonia and hit up some really beautiful places in South America, New Zealand, Alaska, Canada, etc.

That is hilarious....I read it wrong. I thought he was looking for regular documentaries but could only find nature documentaries. Well my post still stands, The Staircase is good poo poo.