Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
If you haven't watched Undefeated, you should catch it on Netflix instant.

On the surface it's the story of a historically lovely HS football program in Memphis' inner city. But the real theme is one of fatherless teenage boys and the effect a good male role model can have on them.

I cried no less than 3 times during the film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Bonto posted:

Hey guys, Could you guys recommend me some documentaries focusing on animation? Ideally focusing on the golden era of animation, Looney Toons, Hanna Barbera etc. Anything even remotely related will do!

Thanks in advance!

Waking Sleeping Beauty is a bit more modern but a pretty interesting look at the Disney animation renaissance in the late 80's, early 90's.

Also, someone help me out here.....there's a documentary about the making of The Emperor's New Groove that is also pretty fascinating considering the huge changes that movie went through. I believe Sting's wife produced it.

This is also a more modern look at animation but they are both pretty good. Not exactly what you're looking for but they're both worth watching.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Schooled: The Price of College Sports is on Netflix and is a pretty good look at the college sports system. If anything, it doesn't delve deep enough, but I think you'd need a ten part series to actually do the issue any justice. But as is, it's a pretty good doc and there are many excellent points made about the illusion of amateurism and the hypocrisy of the universities.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

ineptmule posted:

I'm watching Mitt and there's a bit where McCain is ribbing Romney in the 2008 nomination campaign, and says: "Mr Romney and I disagree on many things but one the we can agree on: he is the candidate of change." He then looks at the camera with a naughty smirk for a good few seconds.

What is going on here? Is there some joke other than just sarcasm because Romney is... ?

I'm British so other than looking over at the presidential elections from time to time, I don't know a lot of the smaller details.

Obama's entire 2008 campaign centered on change. I believe the motto of the campaign was "Change we can believe in" or something like that. So he was probably just mocking Obama.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
After watching most of the first episode of The Roosevelts last night, I'm convinced that I'd watch (and love) a Ken Burns documentary about grass growing or paint drying.

It's rare that a director is so formulaic and yet I actually prefer it that way. It makes it feel as if its the same person telling you a new story. Like your father is reading you a brand new bed time story.

Also, Peter Coyote's voice is just so :allears: I'm upset that he didn't do the 10th Inning of Baseball. I didn't love Keith David's narration as much as Peter Coyote's.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I just want to say, I'm through 4 parts of The Roosevelts: An Intimate Portrait and it is absolutely top notch Ken Burns. On par with his 3 greatest docs: The Civil War, Baseball, and The National Parks.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

MRC48B posted:

Watching The Roosevelts. Ken Burns style is formulaic at this point. But drat if it doesn't work.

It is formulaic, but it works because what makes Ken Burns so good is the writing and the research that goes into each of his documentaries. He always finds little personal things about his subjects that really endear you to them, and anecdotes that reveal the mood of a famous person, or the average joe, or the nation. The way he tells a story through photos, letters, news articles, and first hand accounts is so simple and obvious, yet he's really the only one to do it (successfully and repeatedly).

After finishing the Roosevelts, I'm really tempted to make a Ken Burns megathread to discuss his general body of work. I don't know if it would get many people posting in it but I may try anyways. Gonna finish The Dust Bowl first.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
There's a complete history of The Eagles on Netflix that is 3 hours long and absolutely fascinating if you're into that kind of thing. Every member and former member of The Eagles is interviewed, as well as some pretty big names in the music industry like David Geffen and Jackson Browne. There's a poo poo ton of footage from the 70's. The documentary is 3+ hours and I loved every minute of it (I like The Eagles and I love music documentaries). Like 2 hours in (after The Eagles break up) the credits roll, you have to fast forward through them to get to the eventual reunion.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

See if you can find Go Tigers! the story of highschool football in Massillon, Ohio. Football is a religion to this town and their highschool team almost rivals college teams in the level they train and play at.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9tGclyb1MQ

Go Tigers is on Netflix I think.

Don't let that doc fool you though, for all the passion that the Massillon Tigers inspire, they have never won a state championship since Ohio began the playoff era. They're kind of a laughing-stock in NE Ohio except they're not in on the joke.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Nofeed posted:

That was great. Ended up finding this one too, Milosevic on Trial. Pretty much self explanatory, it's composed of court footage from the trial. Easily available online.

Does anyone have any more interesting depressing documentaries about the breakup/fallout of Yugoslavia?

Indirectly, there's an ESPN 30 for 30 documentary called Once Brothers about Serbian Vlade Divac and Croatian Drazen Petrovic. They played together on the Yugoslavian national basketball team, which was one of the best in the world and the 1988 silver medalists. They entered the NBA together as friends and had a falling out during the wars in Yugoslavia, for obvious reasons. It's a very emotional doc, and one of my favorite 30 for 30s. A much more intimate look at the cost of the war when it comes to old friendships. On Netflix.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 31, 2014

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
The Other Dream Team is on Netflix. Great doc about the 1992 Lithuanian national basketball team specifically but basketball in Lithuania and the fall of the Soviet Union in general.

It's a great doc that frames a bigger issue through the lens of sports.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
If you're a fan of Roger Ebert, definitely check out Life Itself on Netflix. It's a nice little overview of his life and career as well as an intimate look at what his life was like, and how his passion continued, even in the last months before his death.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Oh boy. I was waiting for someone to bring up the "it's no worse than any other religion" point. How naive do you have to be to actually believe that?

I'm not talking the Catholic Church or Islam of 1000 years ago, we all know the bad poo poo that happened then, I'm talking about in this day and age people actually think Scientology in any way resembles religions whose central teachings are about peace and harmony. I'm not even a religious person, but I gotta defend them here.....they are not money-making schemes designed to hoard cash and bleed you dry and they don't excommunicate you if you don't cut off contact with people who don't follow the religion. Also, no slave labor, no paramilitary organization within the church, and no blackmail folders kept on each member.

Every religion has awful people in it (see: catholic priests molesting children, jihadists) but they are actually breaking the laws of their own religion. On the other hand, every awful thing in Scientology is by design.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Viginti posted:

You know, you're totally right. The only way I could have found some flaws in this anti-Scientology film is by being a devout member. You caught me.

We also really were wrong to attack anyone that didn't hold our exact same views rather than enter a discussion with them. It's a good thing that this is a trait exclusive to us scientoligists, imagine a world where everyone was that reactive to disagreements over unimportant details.

As an AT3 I'm very interested in levels and I wonder what the next level is here; will you be contacting my family to let them know that by disagreeing with the dogma around this film I've made myself a Subversive Poster and that they should distance themselves?

Haha quit being a little bitch. Your over the top hyperbolic "review" of the doc deserves you being mocked. You literally said that every claim made against Scientology could and should be made about Christianity and Islam. In the very next post I named like 5 of the biggest systematic crimes of Scientology that aren't perpetuated by Christianity or Islam except perhaps in very isolated insignificant instances (and that's giving your dumb opinion the benefit of the doubt).

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'd recommend Cancer: The Emperor of All Maladies to anyone interested in the history of cancer treatment or where we're at now. It just aired on PBS in three 2-hour parts. It's produced by Ken Burns and based on a book of the same name.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Are there any good documentaries about the Waco siege and Branch Davidians? I have found several online but they all look like conspiracy theory stuff instead of just being a factual account.

I think the CNN series called "Crimes of the Century" did an episode on it. It's on Netflix.

Unlike the "news" that comes out of CNN, their documentary work is pretty good.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Watched Sinatra: All or Nothing At All on HBO. It's basically a 2-part, 4-hour retrospective of Frank Sinatra's life and career. It's directed by Alex Gibney. The content is pretty fantastic and Frank Sinatra is a pretty fascinating guy that I didn't know a ton about.

That being said, the framing device was pretty weak and I absolutely hated the format of using audio interviews only. Never thought I'd be wanting more talking heads in a documentary. If you're mildly interested in Frank Sinatra or like his music, I think you'd find it entertaining, if a bit long and drawn out.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Is it garbled audio while the camera pans over faded photos?

Some of it. And some of it is just excepts from audio books that were actually read by the author. The interviews with Frank Sinatra Jr., Tina Sinatra, and Nancy Sinatra sounded newer and recorded specifically for this doc.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Anyone seen Évocateur: The Morton Downey Jr. Movie yet?

It's being billed as a new film by CNN but I put it in my Netflix queue 8 months ago and it's credited as being made in 2012. Downey has always struck me as the godfather of modern right wing media, spawning Springer, Rush and now Trump, in the ways that he normalized the disintegration of polite discourse and general common decency and i find him fascinating in that sense.

I'm not really sure if there was someone before him that brought this sort of circus act style to the mainstream of modern discourse, at least in the areas that he did. If there was someone, I don't know about them.

Not to nitpick but Jerry Springer is a pretty staunch democrat.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

True. I think Povich is too but those guys aren't newscasters. I was referring to the effect Downey had on modern discourse in the media. Springer doesn't really angrily yell at people, does he?

No, but his protege Steve Wilkos does.

Bill O'Reilly is a good example of what you're talking about.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm just a few minutes in to a series called Apocalypse: WWI and it is already hands-down the most interesting documentary on WWI I have ever seen.

It consists entirely of colorized archival footage and pictures from the era. It really draws you into the period and puts some faces to the names of the major players.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So I've been really into true crime documentaries lately. In the past few weeks I've watched:

Theres Something Wrong with Aunt Diane - good, but not great
The Chesire Murders - again good but not great. Definitely an interesting crime, but it felt like the film was touching on some interesting things but never fully fleshed them out. Would love to have it delve deeper into the possibility that the cops could have saved some lives had they actually acted quicker/differently.
Into the Abyss - interesting in that we talk to the criminals who are behind bars. A bit more focused on its subject matter (the death penalty) than some others I've watched.
Crazy Love - An interesting story, but I hated it. It just was not what I was looking for.

Some older ones I've already seen:
Dear Zachary
The Jinx
The Central Park Five

Any recommendations are welcome.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

cstang posted:

Murder On A Sunday Morning (Excellent! ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAeQlKnb7FA

Brother's Keeper (Also excellent) On US Netflix or here : https://vimeo.com/136158118

Thin Blue Line available on US Netflix and youtube.

The Staircase You'll have to do some searching for this one. It's a series like The Jinx.

Death By Fire PBS.org Frontline

A Death In St. Augustine PBS.org Frontline

The First 48 series. Netflix has a few episodes.

Thanks for these. I've seen the 2 Frontline ones you posted. Both very good.

I forgot to mention I watched the Paradise Lost trilogy on HBO. Holy cow is that good.

Last night I watched Cropsey which was pretty good, but not great.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Has anyone seen The Smiley Face Killers? Watched it on YouTube last night.

I watched the whole thing and didn't figure out it was fake until the very end. I guess in that sense the filmmaker did his job. Instead of feeling angry for being duped I'm actually glad I went in blind and fell for it, because the ending actually had me sitting there saying OH MY GOD.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Winter on Fire about the Euromaidan Revolution in Ukraine, is just absolutely thrilling. It's on Netflix.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

eminkey2003 posted:

Are there any cool documentaries about boy bands or pop stars from the 90s? Late 90s pop music was so big and dramatic (dare I say...larger than life), I feel like its rise and fall would make a great story.

There's actually a pretty interesting one about the Backstreet Boys that was on Netflix a few months back. I think it's called Show Em What You're Made Of.

It's kind of interesting because they touch on the creepy guy that formed them and NSync and ended up going to prison for like tax fraud or embezzlement or something.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Pootybutt posted:

Looking for really good food documentaries. About preparation, history, anything.

Music docs are rad, too.

Have you watched that series on Netflix? I think it's called Chefs Table. I only watched one episode but it was really good. I think each episode is about a different chef and they go into their background, but also delve into their dishes and how they conceived them and stuff.

It's a very well made series from what I remember.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Pootybutt posted:

Looking for really good food documentaries. About preparation, history, anything.

Music docs are rad, too.

Searching for General Tso is on Netflix I think. It's a pretty good one about the history of the dish, who General Tso actually was, and the history of Chinese restaurants in the US in general.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

tekz posted:

CNN documentaries generally suck, I remember watching a ten parter on the 20th century that was incredibly blatantly biased towards the USA.

CNN viewers barely know the rest of the world exists. :ssh:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
A Death in St. Augustine is a great (and infuriating) Frontline doc about domestic violence in the police force.

Also, I watched Tickled the other night on HBO and wow. Just wow. There's also a 20 minute follow-up on it about everything that has happened since the movie was released including the subject of the doc showing up at one of the early screenings.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah sorry that was pretty vague wording on my part. They delve a little bit into how many in the police force are involved in domestic violence with their spouse/partner.

But the focus of the doc is just on the murder/suicide case in St. Augustine.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
If you're into either Ken Burns documentaries or historical documentaries, I'd recommend the American Experience doc The Great War on PBS right now. It's a 3-part doc about America's entry and role in WWI. It's not actually Ken Burns, but his fingerprints are all over it as it is done exactly in his style with old photos and video, talking heads, music, and actors reading journal entries and letters.

It's a very good doc, especially if you're not as familiar with the First World War. If you are, it may not be very informative but it's still really well made.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
In case anyone missed it, the Oklahoma City bombing documentary that was on PBS a few months back has been added to Netflix.

edit: and the one on Ruby Ridge, which you should watch first, as it definitely affects what happened in OKC.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 23, 2017

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
It's hard to believe that it's been almost 16 years and there has still been no definitive documentary about September 11th. At this point I almost feel like Ken Burns is the only documentarian that would capture the scope and magnitude of that day. Maybe I'm wrong.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Are there any good documentaries about the Watergate scandal? I realized today (as the shitstorm gathers around Trump) that I know only the basic details about Watergate but none of the specifics.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Watched the first two episodes of The Keepers last night. I agree it is both horrifying (so far) but also VERY well made.

Directed by Ryan White, one of the directors of The Case Against 8 if you ever saw that.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm watching Can't Stop Won't Stop which is the story of Puff Daddy and Bad Boy Records. It was released for free on Apple Music.

It's pretty terrible in terms of filmmaking. It almost tries to mimic the the look and feeling of June 17, 1994 with the sort of flipping through the channels thing, but it doesn't make sense because you're seeing like old home videos.

Some of the individual home movie clips are really interesting like Notorious BIG rapping on a street corner at age 17 so if you're interested in that era of hip hop you'll probably find some good bits. Otherwise it's too sloppily made to be that watchable. Oh yeah and Puff Daddy is just so insufferable so it just makes it worse. If I didn't know any better I'd say he tried to make it himself.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I watched The Red Pill.

Wasn't what I expected at all. Didn't realize there was a schism between reddit red pill people and the ones who live in reality.

I'd recommend watching, especially if you are a feminist as the film is made by one.

I had never heard of it until just now and watched the trailer. Looks very interesting. Is it streaming anywhere?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

ruddiger posted:

I believed it mostly because it was in Boston, and Boston PD is notoriously close with the Catholic church, and if the pedo priest's brother was the big cop at the time, I can easily see how poo poo can get cloak and daggered.

People thought we were making up the Chicago PD Black Sites until the loving Guardian broke the story.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/feb/24/chicago-police-detain-americans-black-site

It was in Baltimore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

d0grent posted:

Anyone know a good doc on Nikola Tesla? I know there's quite a few so I'd rather not wade through the boring ones.

The Prestige? Haha

But seriously, if you've never seen it, David Bowie plays Tesla.