Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
I wanted to say thank you to everyone that posted, this thread has been an amazing resource. It just so happens that I've been in a documentary frame of mind lately, and about a week after that sea change occured, I found this thread. Awesome timing on my part, I guess.

I saw Dear Zachary as well, and I nodded knowingly when people have posted about it. I had a few misgivings about the fact that it wasn't exactly objective, and some of the presentation was quite overdramatic, but I understand what they needed to do and it never claimed to be an objective look at the justice system, so I appreciated it for what it was. It made me cry for the first time in, well a long time. I highly suggest it, but do it on a day where if you get sad or mad it won't mess anything up, I wouldn't watch it as I'm getting ready for a date for example.

I don't have any to suggest because the ones I've seen have been suggested and vetted throughout the thread, but I felt a thank you was appropriate because these recommendations have been so valuable to me.

I've enjoyed the Madness on the Motorway doc as well, wow what a story. I usually busy myself with other things while I watch, this one had me riveted and I kept my eyes on it.

I actually have a request, come to think of it. Does anyone know of any documentaries about the Innocence Project, or other court cases that were overturned because of new evidence/better lawyering/public outcry? Or, what life is like once your conviction is overturned, and you're released from jail, I'm interested in that as well. There has to be something on David Milgaard, I'd think? I haven't found anything. If there was one posted already, my apologies, I don't recall seeing any.

And on second thought, any other ones along the lines of Madness on the Motorway, where people come out of nowhere and do absolutely bizarre stuff. I would love to see more of that, I can't believe how that one held my interest.

*edit OH OH OH almost forgot- shipwrecks! especially if there's lots of underwater footage. I'm reading this book right now, 'Shadow Divers', and it's fascinated me. I've always been interested in shipwrecks and the Titanic and what not, but now I have to sperg out on this poo poo thanks to this book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

mod sassinator posted:

After Innocence is right up your alley, it's even on Netflix streaming now: http://instantwatcher.com/titles/3739 It's not easy to watch these guys have to deal with so much bureaucracy to prove their innocence.

Thank you! That's exactly the sort of thing I was after. I've always been into critiques of due process and the justice system, but I know of very little that shows what these people go through once they're out. It looks heartbreaking, better batten down with some kleenex.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Mouse Bite posted:

Just watched Paradise Lost about the West Memphis Three. It was very fascinating and well done and I highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it yet. The documentary follows the trials of three teenage boys who were accused of killing three younger children. It becomes apparent throughout the film that the boys are innocent and are acting as scapegoats for the religious leaders in the town because they dress differently, listen to Metallica, and supposedly practice Satanism.

Pretty sure it was posted already, but here's a link just in case: http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/paradise-lost/

I haven't watched the follow-up documentary about Damien Echols' appeals (also at the link), but I'm very interested to see that as well.

Does anyone have any other documentaries about the bullshit surrounding fear of the occult and Satanism? I've always been interested in the Salem Witch Trials and its modern equivalents like the McMartin daycare scandal, so I wanted to see what else is out there.

Find the second one, it's really really good. There's a message board out there, I'm posting the link for you here, and many of the people in the film post on it or are aware of it. The stepfellow of one of the boys named Mark, who was quite verbose in the doc? You might be quite surprised as to what happened to him. You can find out on this message board.

I wish I could be more helpful with a link to the second one, you might be able to find it on their board, I think that's where I found it. Both of the doc's were so interesting, I watched both marathon style then perused those forums to get up to date.

http://www.wm3blackboard.com/forum/index.php

*edit- I just remembered I watched it on youtube. Here's a link to part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5witm15yck&feature=related

part one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CyTJgAfSRs

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

The Scientist posted:

What I've read most recently (yesterday) on a website dedicated to the cause is that

There is now DNA evidence exonarating the 3 and that actually points to one of the other dads of the victims - not John Byers, the crazy mother fucker with the brain tumor who takes haldol (a SERIOUS antipsychotic - modern day thorazine) and xanax, and has a criminal history. Since the 2nd film, apparently, John Byers, who was the one that both doc's pointed at as a possible suspect, has actually changed sides and supports the 3 now as well.

Whole thing is fascinating. I want to know more about it. Thanks for the recommendations.

Although, unfortunately, the part 2 that was linked on youtube has the last 3 sections with no audio as a result of some kind of copy right infringement terms of youtube. So I had gotten really in to the 2nd one only to find that I couldn't watch the last 3 segments. :smith:

Really? Ah poo poo. Oh, I just realized... it might be because of Metallica. If HBO wanted it down, the whole thing would be down. Pretty sure it's a music usage issue. If I find a better copy I'll let you know. I might have to resort to dubious measures.

And, I was wrong, his name wasn't Mark, it was John. Doh! I'm glad you saw that though, I was really surprised when I read about it. The guy was embarrassing to watch in the docs, I can understand being upset because of losing a son but geez.

As one of those odd kids when I grew up (I was a punk in the 80s, had a nosering when people still only pierced ears, had tricolour hair, clothing bla bla etc) I got really angry about the whole business. I will always have a heart for weird kids, I remember what I went through. :unsmith: And I was then, and still remain, a complete and total sweetheart. Maybe those kids were a bit weirder, but that still does not mean they've done anything criminal.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
Or you could go read the messageboard where Mark Byers posts. He's an admin on it and is more than happy to change his mind. I think his reasoning about that time on the film was that he was hopped up on Rx's or something.

http://www.wm3blackboard.com/forum/index.php

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Animal-Mother posted:

I was disturbed that the narrator was the dead kid. I mean, who wrote those lines? Who had the authority to offer that perspective?

Yeah, I agree. That was really tacky and just straight up disrespectful to the kid.

It was a fairly interesting doc, but I see by the comments that I'm not alone with my criticisms. It pisses me off that they make like it was the Bad Evil Woman that orchestrated it all, caused it all, she seems like a borderline psychotic or whatever, but she did NOT take a loving gun and murder anybody. The murderer is a victim as much as I'm Queen loving Victoria. I don't like that misogynistic undertone in my documentaries, thanks much. Poor helpless man was just being a Marine and protecting his propertasdklfja;ldskhfaklsdjfh loving hell that made me want to choke.She was twisted but he was the one saying that he wanted to see her raped by ni**ers and bullshit like that. And yeah, he's the victim. :rolleyes: They're both bad but had she really been an 18 year old girl, it would have been his responsibility to go 'ok whoa, this is really inappropriate *disappear*'. The fact that she was his age doesn't change that, it only makes her hosed up too, and she lost her daughter who she doesn't deserve to be a mother to, in my opinion. But she didn't kill anyone.

Anyway, I hadn't heard of this story and I don't regret wasting the time watching it, but I won't watch it again. I suspect once is enough anyway, even if it didn't take a misogynistic tone. Nor the creepy narration. I generally don't watch true crime-ish docs more than once anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Fruit Smoothies posted:

I really liked how they handled talhotblond and the twist:

I think the point they were trying to make was that Mary was at least partly responsible, and behaving as she did was dangerous. I don't think they made light of Tom's role in the act, even if his own words did. I'm glad the focus was on the overall implications of pretending to be someone online, and this applied to Tom and Mary. I'm really glad this was the case, because it meant Mary's actions were not simply masked by the horrific murder. Indeed, it was refreshing that the murder was the direct focus
The dead kid narrating was stupid, though.

I get that, but I still feel that the doc was made in a way as to really push the misogyny hard. I might be more sensitive than average to that particular angle, though.

I'm curious if anyone's watched Grey Gardens or the dramatization of it's filming with Drew Barrymore. I am fascinated by the story and all it's little details, like how they were related to the Bouvier's, but oh my gosh I couldn't listen to those two sniping at each other. Pretty sad weird story, though. I must admit I made it through the Hollywood version a lot easier. I wanted to love that doc, but listening to people bicker isn't one of my favorite things. They fascinated me though, as does the house and the whole weird story.