Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
The documentary on the incredible band Silkworm came out today: http://buy.couldntyouwait.com/ It's $5 which I don't have currently, but it's loving Silkworm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

For those who enjoy Connections and James Burke, there's an awesome YouTube channel for him: https://www.youtube.com/user/JamesBurkeWeb

I clicked this not knowing what it was, and my god is it wonderful. This is incredibly interesting and entertaining, even for being as old as it is.

Which got me to wondering, are there many other television shows, documentary or otherwise, that are basically the product of one person? I mean, besides crew and all, something like Connections or Cosmos (or even "Louie") that is the work of a writer/director/editor/presenter. The result usually seems pretty good.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

KoRMaK posted:

I thought the same thing when I discovered it. How had I gone this long without ever someone shoving this in front of me and going "please pay attention, for the love of god this stuff is worth learning." For some reason I fall asleep when Sagan talks, but James Burke has me :allears:

I really would like to see more presentations as such. Both "The Day the Universe Changed" and "Cosmos" begin with "A Personal Journey/View by..." and I think that format is astounding.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I've heard that complaint a few times as well, it's bizarre. The Story of Film is unimaginably comprehensive and eye-opening, and does a really good job of actually demonstrating rather than just myth-making. It's an astounding work.

e: The "bashing" of American films: I think what's happening is that often the documentary makes clear that this a history of all film, not just Hollywood moneymakers. I was glad that it didn't focus solely on American films plus the obvious "foreign" classics. The marginalization of Hollywood might come off a bit harsh, I guess, but I'm not gonna feel sorry about that.

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 18, 2014

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Happy People was really interesting because the subjects focused on pretty much are alone, and when you learn it's because the Soviet government (kinda fun to not know this going in) basically dropped them in the middle of Siberia long ago and never returned to check on them, and they refused to just die, it becomes insane. I can't imagine having a family, community, etc. but living alone for 10 months of the year.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
The way you hear people talk about The Story of Film's narrator you'd think it was a pitch-shifted Gilbert Gottfried, but it's a soft spoken Irish man? It has never made sense to me.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Having a three day Decline binge with all the amenities would own a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
This isn't really a singular 'documentary' per se but if you like that sort of thing, Seth from the UYD podcast compiled a bunch of clips from 80s/90s/2000s tv into short "episodes" called Seth Clips in 25 volumes. They each kinda loosely have a 'theme' but it's mostly a kinda anxious jumble of images that, removed from all context, are just indescribably strange: Snoop dogg morphs into an actual dog. a guy in venice walks up to a police car and speaks with a false echo voice. a terribly acted livelinks ad. a woman cries on a hair restoration infomercial. another, more explicit phone sex ad, even more laughably acted. heat-vision helicopter footage from early afghanistan war; soliders chuckle as they blow little person shaped blobs into glowing smithereens. a cereal ad featuring a forgotten z-lister. a clip from COPS where they arrest crossdressers in 90s hollywood. on and on.

i'm not doing them justice, they really are strange.

https://vimeo.com/sethscorner

doug fuckey fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 22, 2019