Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

A while back, either in this thread or another, there was a recommendation for a particular documentary. I can't remember the title, but it entails one of the 90s dotcom millionaires who was fascinated with online voyeurism. One of the biggest things he did was to install some kind of art installation in the middle of (Times Square?) where "artists" were each given their own little public rooms to do whatever they want. It got shut down because (I think?) someone brought in firearms.

He later started an online webcam show they detailed every single aspect of his life, including the breakdown of his marriage and his spiral into depression when he realised he has completely mismanaged his money. This was all happening way before Big Brother became a thing.

Can anybody recall what the name of that documentary was? I keep thinking it's "We are all Connected" or "Everyone is Connected" but both are obviously wrong.

Pretty sure that's We Live in Public

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

ravenkult posted:

Any good docus about Alaska or the Canadian wilderness and stuff like that?

Werner Herzog's Grizzly Man isn't about that, but does discuss and show it extensively. Might be of interest (also it's excellent)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I didn't love the new Nas documentary Time Is Illmatic, but it was still perfectly enjoyable and does exactly what you asked for. Spends far longer on him than the album specifically.

e: Oh, there was also a great biog documentary on Quincy Jones on the BBC a couple years ago. Dunno how hard it is to find nowadays though, but I loved it when it was on. Possibly of interest. The Many Lives of Q. Despite that saying 58 minutes it was actually a two-parter, each an hour long.

Allyn fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 24, 2014

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Anyone have any recommendations for documentaries on American football, focussed more on coaching/behind the scenes stuff rather than specific games? So not films like Harvard Beats Yale, but rather The U or Undefeated. With one caveat: that it not be part of ESPN's 30 for 30, because I know about those :) Any level from high school to pro.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Interesting, can you elaborate?

Wikipedia cites an example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Death_of_Yugoslavia

It's definitely a shame because it's an absolutely extraordinary piece of work otherwise. And if you like the style, well worth checking out Norma Percy's other documentaries. Seen the Iraq, Iran and Russia ones and they're all very solid (although the Yugoslavia one is still the best).

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

outlier posted:

Watched - or tried to watch - Leviathan, the recent acclaimed documentary about the sea.

It's incredibly numbing. Five minutes filming a murky indistinct sea in the dark, no idea what was happening. Then we stick a camera in a tank of dying fish and let them wash backwards and forth across the lens. Oh look, that fish is alive. Wait, not any more. Keep filming. Now lets focus on scraps of gutted fish rolling across the deck. Yup. Look at that dead fish. Yup.

I guess it succeeded in communicating the scope and alien nature of the sea, but it was just deadening. Has anyone watched this all the way through?

I watched it a week or two ago and thought it was excellent, like the cinematic equivalent of a black metal album. As a whole it was really visceral yet beautiful, while the nighttime scenes are more thrilling than any thriller I've seen for ages -- the scene attached to one of the chains as it went off the back of the boat was absolutely loving terrifying because I didn't realise it had switched perspective away from one of the camera's attached to the guy's head.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

This is a very 2+2=5 thing considering the doc didn't even air in India, yet there's an implication of some kind of connection. Zzz

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Pretty sure everybody loves Louis Theroux, so a heads up: his new series started yesterday, looking at a mental institution housing those who were found not guilty by reason of insanity. Was good. Second part next week, then a third ep on a different subject: transgender kids and teenagers.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

"This film should be made about Christianity" kinda rings hollow when Mea Maxima Culpa exists

It felt like pretty standard Gibney, really. He can basically just apply his usual shtick and come out the other side with a very enjoyable & watchable doc, but without creating something truly great. But hey, I haven't hit saturation with him yet, so I'm perfectly fine with that. (And poo poo, Ken Burns made a career doing much the same, albeit in his own distinct style and, uh, better)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

savinhill posted:

Catholic, christian, muslim, etc. organized religion bashing films are pretty much an established film genre at this point. You would have to willfully put blinders on to not have encountered any.

Yeah but I think both he meant Gibney specifically. I certainly did :shobon:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Finally caught The Overnighters and it's one of the better docs I've seen for a while. Really amazing storytelling and there are some really cool shots in it too.

SaltyJesus posted:

I just watched The Overnighters. So the big twist is that he cheated on his wife, and he's gay? Here's a man making good the pillars of his faith, compassion and charity, but oh no! he also made some fairly trivial moral failings, that casts the whole thing in an entirely different light!

E: I don't mean that as a commentary on the film, which I think is good. I don't presume to know what was the director's authorial intent for including that twist. I can see how it might have been meant as an "everybody is hiding something" parallel etc. but most reviews online are treating it as this movie redefining twist which is ridiculous.

I can't see any reason for not including that twist. If you're there filming and that happens, you can't just choose not to include that. It's too big a thing and that would, itself, be too selective. The film's major strength was giving you a very strong first impression and constantly asking you to re-evaluate it, firstly by considering whether his compassion is naive to a fault, and then whether his moral failing -- trivial though it may be -- affects your view of him. But in fact, the most important reason for including it is revealed in the closing captions: in an almost tragic turn, a man who's spent the last 5~ years standing on principle to support these men who came here looking to support their families now has to turn to that very industry which spawned it. He's now stuck in this community where he never really felt welcome, purely to support his family, just like every man who stayed in his church and its parking lot. "You and I are more alike than you know," he says earlier in the film. And now they aren't just alike: he's become one of them.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Back To 99 posted:

Does anyone know if there's coming more Louis Theroux docs, or if the mental hospital and transsexual episodes were it for now?

Those were it for now but he said on his Facebook page that his long-awaited Scientology doc is due out later this year. (Also sorry to be that guy, but transgender, please :()

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Frederick Wiseman's National Gallery is gonna be on BBC4 on Sunday, 8pm :woop:

I imagine it'll go up on iPlayer so non-British people can use hola or whatever

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Michaellaneous posted:

Not sure if it is okay to ask this here, but I've seen a - I think BBC - documentary about slow motion. Basically a few hours of really great scenes, nature spectacles and stuff in slow mo.

Any idea what doc that could be?

I didn't see it but it sounds like Richard Hammond's Invisible Worlds

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Back To 99 posted:

When will Louie's scientology documentary come out, anyway?

It played at the London Film Fest this year, and is intended for theatrical release rather than TV broadcast, so it might be a while yet :(

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

You know they found him guilty of murdering a reporter in 2005 right? Pretty sure he was a super psychopath.

Uh, notice how the title's called Making a Murderer but the original crime wasn't a murder? The documentary is about the potentially unsound nature of his conviction for murder, dude.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I just watched Welcome to Leith and highly recommend it. It frontloads the horrible beliefs of its subjects, so when they're down you almost have a moment of sympathy before remembering "oh poo poo, that guy is a Nazi monster idiot." Are there any other documentaries on US neo-nazis? I need some fascist schadenfreude.

Louis and the Nazis (in part) follows one of the men that is mentioned in Welcome to Leith. It's on Netflix UK

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

There was also Gameswipe, and he often touches on them in his annual end-of-year review type show (201x wipe or whatever it's called)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Unmature posted:

Any recommendations for found footage documentaries? I recently picked up the Criterion of And Everything Is Going Fine which is fantastic and now I'm watching the feature length doc Cinefamily put on YouTube of weird Star Wars clips and B-roll.

June 17th, 1994 for sure

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Are any of Theroux's films on streaming in Canada (we can't have Hulu)?

My Scientology Movie is apparently on Netflix

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Mahoning posted:

I canít remember the name of it but I think I watched it on a recommendation from this thread. Itís one about the collapse of Yugoslavia. I believe itís on YouTube. Someone help me out here.

Sounds like the BBC's six part series Yugoslavia: Death of a Nation, which is indeed excellent. It's on Youtube. Made by Norma Percy; all of her stuff's worth watching, really. I enjoyed her Putin and Iran series a lot too, although at times it can feel like she's making her series a little too close to when they occurred, and they lack some historical perspective, some distance, some hindsight, that would really help round them. Her Obama one's probably the best example of this -- it came out while he was still in office, and felt dated within just a few months.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

pospysyl posted:

Anyone know of any good documentaries about art galleries? I'm more interested in the economics or the procedures of an art gallery than the artistic process.

Frederick Wiseman's National Gallery, about the National Gallery in London, is exactly what you're looking for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Don't forget that Doc's paying his people $100/week for seven 16 hour long days. That's 89c/hour. Carole is running hers off of dozens of interns enrolled in a 5-year program, during which nobody gets paid anything and she makes bank. They're all trash