Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

All About Trout posted:

I don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread already, but the most depressing documentary I've ever seen is Body Without Soul:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BctXRPtrc-I

Yeah this is absolutely crushing. I forget how I first saw this but I never forgot it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I absolutely could have sworn that he died.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Groovelord Neato posted:

finally got around to watching zoo (the mr hands documentary) and i have no idea how it got so many plaudits at the festivals it was boring as poo poo.

It's almost entirely due to the way it's presented, the story itself is so slight. Compare with Abducted In Plain Sight, which has so much incident it's hard to believe it's less than 2 hrs long.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

sexpig by night posted:

Anyone check out The Amazing Johnathan Documentary on hulu? I get why a lot of folks are upset by the direction it goes but I find it absolutely fascinating.

It's apparently playing here at a theater, should I go?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Zesty Mordant posted:

This isn't really a singular 'documentary' per se but if you like that sort of thing, Seth from the UYD podcast compiled a bunch of clips from 80s/90s/2000s tv into short "episodes" called Seth Clips in 25 volumes. They each kinda loosely have a 'theme' but it's mostly a kinda anxious jumble of images that, removed from all context, are just indescribably strange: Snoop dogg morphs into an actual dog. a guy in venice walks up to a police car and speaks with a false echo voice. a terribly acted livelinks ad. a woman cries on a hair restoration infomercial. another, more explicit phone sex ad, even more laughably acted. heat-vision helicopter footage from early afghanistan war; soliders chuckle as they blow little person shaped blobs into glowing smithereens. a cereal ad featuring a forgotten z-lister. a clip from COPS where they arrest crossdressers in 90s hollywood. on and on.

i'm not doing them justice, they really are strange.

https://vimeo.com/sethscorner

This is the original meaning of "found footage" btw!

Earth Table posted:

Went to a screening last night of Recorder: The Marion Stokes Project at the Metrograph in NYC. In summary, a left-wing activist from Philadelphia recorded recorded 24/7 television, mostly news, from 1979 till her death in 2012. Her tapes ended up with the internet archived and are being uploaded and made both viewable and searchable.

Honestly, a fantastic documentary about our relationship with media and how news shapes public opinion. Lots of fascinating archival footage. Marion Stokes was way ahead of her time. Highly recommended if and when it's available VOD or on a streaming platform.

Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=recorder+the+marion+stokes+project

Oh poo poo, I need to get on this. I've been obsessed with this story for a minute now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

Wrinkles the Clown on Hulu, uh, sure is something

I love that the premise is that that's some of the best work clowns can get. It makes sense. Like the saying goes, kids are scared of clowns and adults think they're stupid so what's the point?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Golden Gael posted:

I hope this is fine - my minidoc on the infamous Sylvia Browne has sparked some great discussion in a PYF thread, and I think it might be of some value to the folks on this thread. So I present Sylvia Browne - How a Psychic Scams America.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J91qNpR5F7A

This owns, thank you for this!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Jim Can't Swim is nobody's amateur.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hooplah posted:

That's what i figured.

anyone else ever check out Conspiracy of Silence? Did a search of the thread and didn't see any talk of it. british doc about the franklin credit scandal.

here's some info from the youtube description:

there's some pretty wild accusations, but given the books written on the topic, it seems there was probably a lot of truth to it.

Yep, it pops up on YouTube every so often.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BiggerBoat posted:

Stumbled upon a pretty good Jack Kirby documentary. Apologies if it's been posted already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoXeiEXJrgc

This was great, somehow I'd never seen this one before.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's 100% option B.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Yeah, that looks terrible. Watch all-time classic Cannibal Tours instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUQ_8wl93HM

Cannibal Tours is incredible.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, it fuckin rules. I'm all in.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Where'd you see this?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Documentaries are the ultimate answer to "why don't they just stop filming".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MeinPanzer posted:

Just watched Love Has Won: The Cult of Mother God, another 3-part HBO doc, and this one I liked a lot. In a nutshell, it dives into the new age cult that shot to notoriety a few years back when the police raided the home its members were living in and discovered the corpse of the founder, a 45-year-old woman known as Mother God, lovingly positioned in a shrine-like bed.

The cult itself is relatively benign and the characters are pretty standard mentally ill people with major substance abuse issues, but it was way funnier than I thought it would be and had some interesting twists and turns. The filmmaker benefitted from having an immense amount of material at her disposal, since the cult members basically live-streamed everything they did 24/7 and also recorded every action of Mother God in the belief that they were producing the new gospels. The overall vibe of the documentary is also great, with fantastic music and cinematography. I was pleased but not surprised to see in the end credits that the Safdie brothers were producers--it seems like they're involved in more and more media I'm consuming these days... Highly recommended.

Definitely gotta get on this one, I followed this as it was happening and could hardly believe any of it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Snowy posted:

Goddamn The Act of Killing is so crazy. Glad I finally got around to that. Now I want to see the companion documentary that focuses more on the family of a victim of the mass murders in Indonesia in the 70s rather than the killers. But I think I need a little breather first.

You're in luck because there is a follow up film called THE LOOK OF SILENCE (2014) that was exactly this.

One thing I like about THE ACT OF KILLING is that it directly indicts not just America's government but American culture (John Wayne, Frank Sinatra, Rambo) specifically in its encouragement and empowerment of an anticommunist genocide. It stands out even more now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That sounds like a treat, will watch as soon as I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Tubi is amazing. I feel like it should remain as small as possible for as long as possible.