Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Find your freedom in the music.
Find your Jesus, find your Kubrick.

The Scientist posted:

God drat that was good. HBO makes some amazing documentaries. I'm at a loss for words. It was so poignant how it was juxtaposed with Metallica's Orion, such a beautiful song and it fits so well. I started out pretty firmly believing they didn't do it. Now I have absolutely no idea.

But it does seem to me that tho only ones in the whole doc competent enough to pull of a crime of that magnitude was Jason's defence attorney, the dude with the long slicked back hair and glasses, and the state forensic investigator that was put on the stand for a significant portion. And it truly angers me that they were convicted PURELY on circumstantial evidence. I didn't think that was enough any more to convict a person like this anywhere in the US. Guess I'm deluded.

Now I have to go watch the second one. As in, I am literally compelled to go watch it. Great post. :cheers:

I feel like a public service announcement, but you should read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Devils-Knot-Story-Memphis-Three/dp/0743417607/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296688244&sr=8-1

There is SO MUCH wrong with this case. Fortunately, their cases are being heard again in front of a new judge, and things are looking up for Damien, Jesse and Jason. I know all about this poo poo because I work for the Arkansas Times, who has been behind them since the very beginning. It always amazes me that people outside of Arkansas haven't heard of this case, because it is a HUGE loving deal here.

Also, you can read more here: http://www.arktimes.com/arkansas/Search?cx=007815921393352242861%3Aowv6twwsewu&cof=FORID%3A9&q=west+memphis+three&sa=search#1081

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

I watched a really good doc on Netflix over the weekend: Beauty is Embarrassing. It's a profile of the artist Wayne White. You probably know him (if at all) from either his puppetry/set design on Pee-Wee's Playhouse or as the guy who paints words on top of thrift store paintings. It's a very sweet portrait of how an artist is nurtured and grown by a supportive family environment. I highly recommend it.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Netflix Instant just added a new doc called Mortified Nation, about a performance thing where people get up in front of an audience and read their diaries from when they were teenagers. It's amazing. I love it when Netflix recommends something I absolutely fall in love with.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Another good one from Netflix.

Unhung Hero
http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70273280?trkid=2361637

This one is about a guy who proposed to his girlfriend on a kiss-cam and she turned him down because he has a small penis. So of course, he made a documentary about penis size and tried to find out 1) if his was really THAT small and 2) if so, what can be done about it. It was obviously pretty silly, but enjoyable.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

I watched The Internet's Own Boy, tonight, the doc about Aaron Swartz. It was really inspirational and yet depressing. He was such a visionary, he actually wanted to do the cliched "make the world a better place," but it was reasonable, and achievable. loving depressing what the Federal Courts were trying to do. Anyway, it was good.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

DrVenkman posted:

... if you want a thorough look at how movies and their sequels are made, watch 'Never Sleep Again'. It's a great, candid, look at all the Nightmare on Elm Street movies from almost everyone involved. Marvel as execs blame the creative teams for them forcing movies into production without finished scripts because they had to milk a franchise as quick as they could.
Hey this movie is FOUR HOURS LONG by the way. We made it about 45 minutes in before my partner (who doesn't especially like horror movies) asked me to save it for the gym or when he is at work or something. How can anyone make a four-hour long movie about anything?!? It is really good though. I can't wait to get to part 3, The Dream Warrior. That one is my favorite.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

We watched "Pablo" on netflix last night. It's about a guy named Pablo Ferro who does amazing title sequences for films. It is one of the most visually interesting movies I have ever watched. His story is fascinating and Jeff Bridges narrates; give it a go!

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Nice Shirt posted:

Someone I know mentioned that he wants to see a documentary about psychedelics, does that topic have any go-to movies? Preferably one that doesn't focus entirely on the hippie movement, though whatevs is fine, really.

DMT the Spirit Molecule is a fantastic one, (it's on Netflix) although it's only about DMT. There is a new one called Neurons to Nirvana, which is about all of the different psychedelics and their medical/psychiatric uses. I haven't watched this one yet. The only other one I have seen is Ayahuasca: Vine of the Soul, which follows some Americans doing ayahuasca in the jungle. It's very good.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

Hahaha oh just keep watching. I think the big reveal of the perpetrator not actually being a woman was pretty telegraphed from the word go, but man is that film super fun and ended in a pretty perfect way for a story that wasn't ever going to be truly resolved

This movie was really frustrating to me and confusing, so when we were done watching it my BF and I did some research and apparently the director was blocked from using a lot of footage due to ongoing lawsuits and was forced to use mostly B roll to complete the film. There should be a follow up in my opinion to explain exactly what the gently caress was going on because it really still doesn't make any sense to me at all, other than the fact that D'Amato was a repressed homosexual who got off on guys tickling each other and used his fake woman personas to cover that fact up because he is a trust-fund millionaire. I was extremely dissatisfied by this movie and it was recommended to me by someone I really trust about documentaries. I think he called it mind blowing, whereas I found it fall asleep in the middle and then pick it up the next day and get really pissed off when it turned out to be stupid at the end.

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

Hello fellow doc lovers. I have a project at work that seens impossible but it can't be...right? Our client is a youth bootcamp type program and they wish us, an ad agency, to find and license a documentary about drug abuse (specifically RX and alcohol) that neither showcases a "role model" defined arbitrarily by the client, nor shows graphic instructions on how to abuse prescription pills (chopping, cooking, injecting.) Anyone have ideas? Thanks in advance. This is to be shown to 12-18 year olds who probably already use drugs, so we are all stumped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appleskates
Feb 21, 2008

I saw Wonít You Be My Neighbor last night, in an entirely empty theater (which was a relief because I cried most of the time.) If itís playing near you, go see it. Fred Rogers was a very special man and this was a beautiful tribute.